PDA

View Full Version : LGBTAI+ Can anyone recommend me some LGBT-themed music?

Lateral
2013-11-11, 09:39 PM
A note: This post contains a description of this one gay guy I know, and is entirely for his benefit. Please do not assume that I think all gay people act the same. I'm looking for actual advice, not for people to glance at the title and OP and assume I'm stereotyping. Just want to nip that in the bud.

So, long story short: I have this friend, who will remain nameless for obvious reasons. He's... well, six important things:

He's gay. I mean, flamboyantly gay. When he came out last year… well, I'm not saying we knew beforehand, but it wasn't exactly a mindblowing revelation.
He's a huuuuuuuge nerd. 's a big part of why we're friends.
Two of his biggest nerd…li…nesses (there has to be a word for that) are music and LGBT stuff- the culture, the famous people, and all that.
Given the intersection of those last two, his latest obsession is music relating to LGBT stuff- mostly stuff relating to LGBT culture, although he seems to consider anything by Queen, and I quote, 'gay enough to qualify.' Yes, even Fat Bottomed Girls, apparently.
His collection is pretty limited, and he's not really very good at finding this sort of thing; at this point, he's got a whole bunch of Queen and Village People, and... not much else.
His birthday is coming up.

As such, I have decided that, for his birthday, I will be making him what we have dubbed 'The Incredibly Gay Mixtape.' As of right now, I have:

Queen's gayest songs.
Anything by the Village People.
A handful of Elton John.

...And that's pretty much it.

That is why I have come to you, the Playground, for help finding some music containing LGBT themes. Doesn't have to actually be by an LGBT musician as long as it has those themes, and he's got a very wide palate so I don't think music genre matters all that much.

TL;DR: Playground, find my gay friend some gay music.

Astrella
2013-11-11, 10:50 PM
You might wanna try posting this in the LGBT thread instead. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313946)

Lateral
2013-11-11, 11:02 PM
You might wanna try posting this in the LGBT thread instead. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313946)
Thought about it, but this is really more of a music question than an LGBT question. Really, this should be in Media Discussions, but I misposted it; already put in a request for a forum change.

DJ Yung Crunk
2013-11-11, 11:04 PM
Cakes Da Killa, Mykki Blanco, House of LaDosha, Le1f.

No links. Don't want mods at my door.

Juggling Goth
2013-11-12, 02:06 AM
LGBT artists, LGBT themes, or both?

Morrissey* - 'Piccadilly Palare' (getcher history - polari/palare was English gay slang in the early- to mid-twentieth century. Listen to Julian and Sandy on 'Round the Horne'. "Exchanging palare, you wouldn't understand, good sons like you never do...")

For your classics, anything by KD Lang*

For the love of god, NOT Tatu or Katy Perry. Just thought I'd nip that in the bud right there.

Jessie J* - 'Do It Like A Dude'.

Lady Gaga* - 'Born This Way'

Franz Ferdinand** - 'Michael' (especially in the live version, where "come and dance with me Michael" is changed to something less PG-13)

Placebo* - 'Nancy Boy'

*Confirmed LGBT
**Presumed straight but not narrow

Worira
2013-11-12, 03:30 AM
Off-hand, Melissa Etheridge, Tegan and Sara, Scissor Sisters, Pansy Division, and the Village People.

Ortesk
2013-11-12, 03:52 AM
Justin bieber, macklemore, miley cyrus, generally turn on a random pop station and you have it

DJ Yung Crunk
2013-11-12, 03:58 AM
Justin bieber, macklemore, miley cyrus, generally turn on a random pop station and you have it

Yeah, OP, your friend will just love "Blurred Lines"

Krazzman
2013-11-12, 04:03 AM
I always thought Boy George(is he written that way?) could fit into this...

Judas Priest (vocals is openly gay) would fit in the category performed by...
Else search for Glam/Hair metal they always seemed... rather wonky myself... but I am not sure about this (listening mostly to Death/Trash or similar).

DJ Yung Crunk
2013-11-12, 04:18 AM
Cakes Da Killa, Mykki Blanco, House of LaDosha, Le1f.

No links. Don't want mods at my door.

I remember House of LaDosha but forget Zebra Katz?

Topus
2013-11-12, 05:02 AM
From In & Out it seems that I will survive by Gloria Gaynor should be included :D
Then, Spirit in the sky and You spin me round are quite gay in the way you intend.
If you want to add extra flavour I can recommend a pair of italian songs:
Triangolo by Renato Zero, telling about an unexpected love triangle between two men and a woman.
Mi vendo by Renato Zero, a song about transgression.
These two songs are quite catchy, typical 70s dance sound.

Juggling Goth
2013-11-12, 05:47 AM
Antony and the Johnsons - 'For Today I Am A Boy' is lovely. It's never going to be played in a gay bar though.

I think this is the question - do you want music that's explicitly by/about LGBT people, or do you want the crap they play in gay bars? (I don't do the scene, because, well, "the music they constantly play says nothing to me about my life.") The overlap isn't as big as you might think.

BWR
2013-11-12, 06:54 AM
In the Village People vein: Electric 6 - Gay bar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTN6Du3MCgI)

Edit: some people might find it a bit risqué and too suggestive.

Lateral
2013-11-12, 07:26 AM
I think this is the question - do you want music that's explicitly by/about LGBT people, or do you want the crap they play in gay bars? (I don't do the scene, because, well, "the music they constantly play says nothing to me about my life.") The overlap isn't as big as you might think.
The former.

Thanks for all your suggestions, guys, I'll look into it.

Jaycemonde
2013-11-12, 08:04 AM

I get the feeling you're trolling with these suggestions. Maybe Macklemore would be fine (although I should point out that the T in LGBT does not actually stand for "T. Macklemore," against common misconception), but Justin Bieber is a homophobic and transphobic (among other things) little brat, and Miley Cyrus...Eh. I don't actually have an opinion on her, since I've never listened to her music and don't follow celebrity news unless it's relevant. But gay--even flamboyantly gay--and pop music don't automatically match up. One flamboyantly gay guy I know only listens to various permutations of metal.

As for my own suggestion, I would humbly put forward Emoticon/Furries in a Blender (can't really get much more flamboyant than a cat with rainbow stripes and a fishnet shirt) and RQ. Especially this song (http://lapfox.bandcamp.com/track/--3), since Ren's both agendered and does amazing things with synthesizers. P. much any RQ album would work, really, although a lot of them get progressively more explicit in song names and album art. Tentacles are awesome.

Edit: Casey LaLonde is also a great choice. This song (http://caseylalonde.bandcamp.com/track/made-up-lies-and-stupid-day-dreams) is an explicit love song about a guy, so there's your gay-enough factor :smallsmile:

positivespace
2013-11-12, 09:22 AM
Renard-It Gets Better
and
Renard-Year of the Bad Dragon

The second one is a bit...naughty, though.

Kneenibble
2013-11-12, 10:26 AM
I wish I had had you as a friend when I was a smooth-faced dewy-eyed lad in the cobwebby recesses of the closet, Lateral. ;___;

The Gay Pimp Jonny McGovern -- Soccer Practice (http://youtu.be/c1tzr0n_Usk), Bossy Bottom (http://youtu.be/ey-IGVz4_Xg), and Sexy Nerd (http://youtu.be/pivLTWIJ7xo) are my favourites.

The videos are racy but not explicit.

Jaycemonde
2013-11-12, 10:35 AM
Renard-It Gets Better
and
Renard-Year of the Bad Dragon

The second one is a bit...naughty, though.

Oh. My. God.

I cannot believe I didn't think of those two. It Gets Better is amazingly uplifting. It's also awesome to see another LapFox fan around these parts.
While we're at it, why not the Gabberstag album? Ren* and Fütret apparently had fun with that.

*Ren doesn't like people calling them Renard now, just for reference--Ren sounds less gendered. Talking about the alias a song is labeled under is fine, but if you're going to talk about the musician make sure to keep that in mind.

MilesTiden
2013-11-14, 10:37 PM
... Everything by David Bowie, ever? :smalltongue: (Also, my math teacher has David Bowie playing like, every day before class starts. It's pretty beautiful.)

SarahV
2013-11-14, 11:32 PM
Erasure. Pet Shops Boys. Wham!. Fun retro 80s pop, and the singers are all gay IIRC.

Juggling Goth
2013-11-15, 02:47 AM
Skunk Anansie, 'She's My Heroine'.

Knaight
2013-11-15, 03:55 AM
Young Marble Giants

Also, I'd recommend omitting Queen and The Village People. You did explicitly state that these are what your friend has already found, which kind of diminishes their value. You can't really add data to a collection when it already exists there.

Serpentine
2013-11-15, 06:55 AM
In the Village People vein: Electric 6 - Gay bar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTN6Du3MCgI)

Edit: some people might find it a bit risqué and too suggestive.
Heh. Yeah. Put that in.

I think David Bowie, particularly John, I'm Only Dancing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crNI8DtP6IY). And definitely Scissor Sisters. They're pretty fabulous.
I think that at least in Australia ABBA tends to be thought of as "gay music", but I don't know if any of them are anywhere in LGBT.
Oh oh! Get the Priscilla: Queen of the Desert soundtrack (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/400403414923?lpid=87)!

The Extinguisher
2013-11-15, 12:07 PM
Laura Jane Grace. Her band Against Me! has an album coming out next year called Transgender Dysphoria Blues, and it's going to be good.

There's a few songs out already, so look up "Trans Soul Rebel" and "Transgender Dysphoria Blues."

Jaycemonde
2013-11-15, 03:17 PM
Laura Jane Grace. Her band Against Me! has an album coming out next year called Transgender Dysphoria Blues, and it's going to be good.

There's a few songs out already, so look up "Trans Soul Rebel" and "Transgender Dysphoria Blues."

I didn't know that album wasn't already out, ugghugh. Nice to know the singles are out, because I need them. Does anybody know who wrote/performed He's a Girl, She's a Boy?

Scarlet Knight
2013-11-16, 12:37 AM
Culture Club
Cher
Tim Curry
Judy Garland
Liberace

Oh, wait...this was from my "Who's Next to Post" list...

Melayl
2013-11-16, 11:02 PM
My cousin liked the group Pansy Division.

ImperialSunligh
2013-11-17, 10:36 AM
Well...

I'd recommend some of Voltaire's stuff, given that he's... not actually sure if he's bi or just accepting as he's married to a woman and hasn't made a clear comment.

Particularly Bitrektual if your friend is into Star Wars or Star Trek. And there's guys kissing on the front, so, yeah. I would, however warn that about half of his songs are NSFW and some are REALLY dirty. Keep that in mind. Also, "God Thinks" and "Raised by Bats" (Which isn't out yet, but is basically his "Born this Way"). He's more of a goth artist, but he overlaps with LGBT at times.

Killer Angel
2013-11-19, 07:03 AM
I would name also:
Bronski Beat- Smalltown boy

Plus:
THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW. Sweet Transvestite.

JoshL
2013-11-19, 10:06 AM
Came here to post that Bronksi Beat song (really, anything they did). Both Bronski and Pet Shop Boys often sing about the experiences of being gay at the time, as opposed to Erasure for example, who tended towards more generalized songs. That said, Erasure is one of my favorite bands of all time, and the self titled record from 1995 should be in EVERYONE'S collection. If you have any taste for synthpop or electronic music in general, go get a copy!

Ebon_Drake
2013-11-19, 03:40 PM
Patrick Wolf and Rufus Wainwright.

The Broken Social Scene song "World Sick" seems to be about being gay. At least, I've always read it that way. They also have another LGBT themed song, but it features a very bad word in both the lyrics and title so probably wouldn't be a good choice. It is a pretty good song though.

Stegyre
2013-11-19, 04:28 PM
No one yet has suggested Lou Reed's classic "Take a Walk on the Wild Side"? :smallconfused:
Kids these days . . .

Jaycemonde
2013-11-19, 04:45 PM
No one yet has suggested Lou Reed's classic "Take a Walk on the Wild Side"?

Probably because it's offensive as **** and not appreciated by the majority of the LGBT+ crowd.

Kneenibble
2013-11-19, 05:31 PM
Nah, it's a classic. I found it on my boyfriend's Youtube playlist this past weekend.

Jaycemonde
2013-11-19, 05:33 PM
Correction. It's offensive to the T part of the community, and just because it's a "classic" that doesn't make up for the months of emotional torture I had to go through because people thought it was hilarious to compare me to the subject of the song and play it any time I was around. There.

Scarlet Knight
2013-11-19, 08:51 PM
It's a shame people gave you grief and ruined that song.

Basically, as best as I can remember the lyrics, there really isn't anything offensive in it for any of the characters ( who I believe, were all real friends of Lou Reed)

DJ Yung Crunk
2013-11-20, 01:10 AM
Why is so much LGBT music such goofy, novelty nonsense? Say what you will about the NSFW nature of my suggestions at least they were somewhat empowering.

Jaycemonde
2013-11-20, 07:12 AM
Why is so much LGBT music such goofy, novelty nonsense? Say what you will about the NSFW nature of my suggestions at least they were somewhat empowering.

I would think that it's more the fact so much music in general is goofy, novelty nonsense, and LGBT+ music (considering that isn't a genre, but rather a tacked-on descriptor) just happens to have a lot of that by coincidence.

As for empowering, I'd say the suggestions I made qualify. I mean, yeah, there's a lot of stupid, overly loud albums [as well as really NSFW ones], but there are also dozens of quiet and introspective or powerful and moving albums. The musician (singular, they just really love using aliases) is agendered and physically fluctuates from looking like they're on HRT to rocking a beard, so that's pretty much as LGBT+ as you could ask for.

celtois
2013-11-20, 10:04 AM
I personally enjoy the song, "Sing if You're Glad to be Gay", by the Tom Robinson Band. It was an anthem in its time. It is however a pretty depressing song in my opinion, because he's singing about the awful oppression by the London Police of the time. Still, its catchy and LGBT themed.

Stegyre
2013-11-20, 11:22 AM
There is also Joe Jackson's "Real Men," in the original or the Tori Amos cover. Definitely not upbeat, but (IMO) a very good song.

Serpentine
2013-11-20, 11:24 AM
I Kissed A Girl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FdwUGwasck), and I don't mean that Katy Perry thing.

Jack Squat
2013-11-20, 06:11 PM
Amy's On the Run (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgVXyUX7r30) by Thunder

ufo
2013-11-21, 09:11 AM
Check out Mykki Blanco. It's rather explicit and deliberately provocative.

Zrak
2013-11-22, 11:04 PM

I hope so. I haven't been much more than ambivalent about their last few records. Really, everything after Reinventing Axl Rose hasn't been my thing. I liked the ragged way her voice used to come out on records like Crime and the denser lyrics; As the Eternal Cowboy and on lost a lot of what I thought made them so great and unique back when I first saw them. Not to rain on the parade or anything, I just always get a little tinge of melancholy when I hear about new Against Me! stuff. Still, their older music at least meant quite a lot to me and I wish Laura all the best in everything.

On another note, I can't believe this thread has gone on as long as it has without any mention of The Magnetic Fields. I don't know if I'd say many of their songs deal with LGBTQ+ themes, exactly, but a lot of them deal with LGBTQ+ relationships. Stephin Merritt's lyrics alternate between hilarious and heartwrenching, with caustic sarcasm often going hand-in-hand with deep, earnest romanticism. Musically, they go all over the place, especially on their most famous album, 69 Love Songs; some tracks are airy pop, some are melancholy dirges, some folk-tinged ballads, and some even adopting the styles of specific genres wholesale. They're definitely one of the more interesting bands I've heard, and I'd recommend them to nearly anyone, but someone with an interest in LGBTQ+ music might find them especially interesting. If the musician's own sexuality is relevant, Merritt is openly gay. I'd probably start with 69 Love Songs and be sure to give it a chance for a while, not just because it changes sound so much, but because it's better appreciated as a whole.

I'd also recommend Justin Tranter's older music. It's all piano-and-singing ballads, but he has quite a voice and his lyrics have a lot more charm and self-awareness than the usual sort of maudlin confessional stuff you hear in guy-at-a-piano music. He's also often able to deal with the same weighty ideas in more innovative ways than they're usually seen; "Pop Songs" is one of my favorite examples of this. Unfortunately, this stuff is all harder to find.
If you ask me, his new band (Semi Precious Weapons) is no good, but you (or your friend) might not agree, so they might be worth a try.

BWR
2013-11-23, 07:26 AM
I personally enjoy the song, "Sing if You're Glad to be Gay", by the Tom Robinson Band. It was an anthem in its time. It is however a pretty depressing song in my opinion, because he's singing about the awful oppression by the London Police of the time. Still, its catchy and LGBT themed.

Would a parody (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9zHqx-Hoz8)be appropriate?

Jaycemonde
2013-11-23, 11:13 AM
Would a parody (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9zHqx-Hoz8)be appropriate?

This pleases me.

Juggling Goth
2013-11-24, 04:58 PM
It's not an obvious one, because Leonard Cohen is on women like cheese on chips, but his song 'Take This Waltz'.

It's a loose translation of Federico Garcia Lorca's poem 'Little Viennese Waltz'. According to Songmeanings.net (maybe not the greatest source in the world) the poem was about Lorca's unrequited love for Salvador Dali, and the reference to "the bar where the boys have stopped talking" was about a gay bar Lorca visited once.

Also, did somebody say novelty songs? Cosmo Jarvis, Gay Pirates (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dysG12QCdTA).

It's been updated over the years, and now the final verse celebrates his bisexuality - "I'm here and I'm queer and I do what I do, and I'm not gonna wear a straight jacket for you". Which is neat.

Maryring
2013-11-25, 10:45 AM
For the love of god, NOT Tatu or Katy Perry. Just thought I'd nip that in the bud right there.

Wait. Why not Tatu? Their music's awesome.

Juggling Goth
2013-11-25, 06:04 PM
Wait. Why not Tatu? Their music's awesome.

The creepy promoter deciding lesbian schoolgirl fantasy was a good way to sell more records. There's straight but not narrow, and then there's just plain exploitative.

Edit: I take that back; apparently Yulia identifies as bisexual. Not the bit about it being creepy and exploitative, though. That's still true.

Scarlet Knight
2013-11-25, 08:00 PM
Did I miss it or did we forget Lola by the Kinks?

Astrella
2013-11-25, 09:49 PM
It's pretty transphobic and not really appropriate. :/

Jaycemonde
2013-11-25, 11:24 PM

Yeah. Just because it's a "classic" doesn't mean it's okay.

Scarlet Knight
2013-11-26, 12:13 AM
Really? Once again I show my ignorance of the LGBT community. I always took the song to mean the singer ends up happy with Lola.

Zrak
2013-11-26, 12:55 AM
I don't think it's very classy to call a work of art transphobic without really any citation as to why. I didn't say anything the first time, but I think that sort of behavior is pejorative to any thoughtful, productive critical discourse. It's a pretty harsh indictment to throw out without providing any justification of that reading, since it reflects poorly not just on the work, but implicitly upon the creator, as well.

Lateral
2013-11-26, 01:19 AM
I don't think it's very classy to call a work of art transphobic without really any citation as to why. I didn't say anything the first time, but I think that sort of behavior is pejorative to any thoughtful, productive critical discourse. It's a pretty harsh indictment to throw out without providing any justification of that reading, since it reflects poorly not just on the work, but implicitly upon the creator, as well.
This. So very much this. If you're going to say that something is anything- racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, et cetera, please cite your sources.
But "Lola" isn't going to be on there because he loathes the Kinks. Not for any logical reason, mind you. I think it's just become such a running joke with him that he likes to play along, whatever.

Astrella
2013-11-26, 01:57 AM
*yawn* Someone asking for song titles is hardly critical discourse. You could have just asked why I thought so instead of going "accusing something of bigotry is so horrible", you're not asking anyone else in the thread to provide citations.

And it basically just reiterates the whole trans women are really masculine / men.

Worira
2013-11-26, 04:01 AM
It doesn't, really. It says one particular trans woman has a masculine voice and is physically strong.

Astrella
2013-11-26, 04:09 AM
It doesn't, really. It says one particular trans woman has a masculine voice and is physically strong.

When it's a cultural narrative that's reinforced all the time it is pretty iffy.

Worira
2013-11-26, 04:30 AM
In general, I'd agree, but in the context of a song about the narrator finding lasting romance (or being interested in it, anyway; it's not clear Lola wants more than a casual fling) with a trans woman, I'd say calling it transphobic would be failing to see the trees for the forest.

The Succubus
2013-11-26, 07:08 AM

I'd have to agree. The song portrays her as being extremely predatory and the final lyrics "I'm not the world's most masculine guy but I know I'm a man and so is Lola" are very dismissive for her female presentation, which is a major issue for transgender people.

According to Wikipedia, the lead singer of the Kinks got the inspiration for the song after dancing with a transvestite at a Soho club, which makes the issue a little more complicated. However, the song itself has been used in derisory ways to mock transgender people - recent examples include coverage of Chelsea Manning with Lola as a backing track.

However you slice it, its probably not a good call for an LGBT mix tape.

Jaycemonde
2013-11-26, 09:23 AM
I'd have to agree. The song portrays her as being extremely predatory and the final lyrics "I'm not the world's most masculine guy but I know I'm a man and so is Lola" are very dismissive for her female presentation, which is a major issue for transgender people.

According to Wikipedia, the lead singer of the Kinks got the inspiration for the song after dancing with a transvestite at a Soho club, which makes the issue a little more complicated. However, the song itself has been used in derisory ways to mock transgender people - recent examples include coverage of Chelsea Manning with Lola as a backing track.

Thank you. Now can the trans* people present stop being accused of not having any taste in music and wanting to start trouble?

Juggling Goth
2013-11-26, 01:45 PM
*Nods* Particularly since the whole joke of the song - albeit a self-deprecating one on the narrator for not realising at first - is that Lola doesn't pass very well. "I'm not dumb but I can't understand why she walked like a woman and talked like a man" and "I'm not the world's most physical guy but when she squeezed me tight she nearly broke my spine". The situation of meeting new people and being immediately outed as trans is kind of a terrifying one, given the violence that can result.

At the time, it was probably quite progressive - but it's not that time any more.

Worira
2013-11-26, 01:51 PM

Except that that's not what the final lyrics are. They're "Well I'm not the world's most masculine man, but I know what I am and I'm glad I'm a man, and so is Lola." You could read it as "I'm glad [I'm a man and so is Lola]", sure, but you'd be missing the nuance of the song completely. The other reading, and the one I think makes more sense in the context of the rest of the song, is that the narrator is glad he's a man, and Lola is also glad the narrator is a man (because she's heterosexual).

And what about her actions are extremely predatory? Assertive, sure, but I'm really not seeing anything predatory about them at all.

Juggling Goth
2013-11-26, 01:56 PM
Except that that's not what the final lyrics are. They're "Well I'm not the world's most masculine man, but I know what I am and I'm glad I'm a man, and so is Lola." You could read it as "I'm glad [I'm a man and so is Lola]", sure, but you'd be missing the nuance of the song completely. The other reading, and the one I think makes more sense in the context of the rest of the song, is that the narrator is glad he's a man, and Lola is also glad the narrator is a man (because she's heterosexual).

I always heard it the first way. Long before I knew anything about trans issues. It's the only way that makes sense in the narrative of the song - all through the song you have this build-up of him not understanding why Lola's different (her voice, her strength) and the emphasis on the narrator's naivety ("I'd left home just a week before, and I'd never ever kissed a woman before") and then at the end there's the eureka moment (subverted somewhat by the fact he doesn't mind). It's a really common narrative - like that awful episode of the IT Crowd - of a naïve man not realising that his partner is 'really a man' and then how he deals with it when he finds out. And when it happens in real life, too often that's when murder happens.

Zrak
2013-11-26, 02:51 PM
*yawn* Someone asking for song titles is hardly critical discourse. You could have just asked why I thought so instead of going "accusing something of bigotry is so horrible", you're not asking anyone else in the thread to provide citations.
As I said, I didn't say anything the first time it happened (with regard to "Take a Walk on the Wild Side"), but felt I should say something since it happened again. My statement was a response to both accusations, it simply happened after yours because yours was made second.

And it basically just reiterates the whole trans women are really masculine / men.
He does refer to Lola as "she" throughout the song. I typically do not refer to those who I believe to be men by feminine pronouns.

On the other hand, "I'm a man and Lola doesn't identify as her birth gender" doesn't exactly fit the meter or rhyme scheme. I wouldn't even read the last verse as being concerned with Lola's sex or gender, since Lola is referred to as "she" throughout the rest of the song, and there is no reason to believe the narrator sees her as anything but a woman; noting that he had "never ever even kissed a woman before" implies that he now has. As someone else mentioned, I think a more tenable reading is that both Lola and the narrator are glad the narrator is a man, even though he isn't stereotypically masculine. In other words, it doesn't matter that Lola is stronger than the narrator or has a deeper voice than he does, she is a woman and he's a man.

Also, she asks him to dance and asks him to come home with her. I'm not sure what about any of that strikes you as particularly predatory.

However, the song itself has been used in derisory ways to mock transgender people - recent examples include coverage of Chelsea Manning with Lola as a backing track.
This isn't reflective of the song itself, though; any song which mentions trans* people in any way could be used in the exact same manner.

Thank you. Now can the trans* people present stop being accused of not having any taste in music and wanting to start trouble?

I didn't really accuse anyone, let alone any identarian group, of having "no taste" or "starting trouble." I said that specific people accused artists and their work of bigotry without providing any evidence whatsoever. I don't appreciate the implication that I attacked the trans* community as a whole by taking issue with a few individuals' methods of criticism.

Lateral
2013-11-26, 03:00 PM
Either way, though, LGBT issues are generally better left to the LGBTAITP thread. Not looking for debate, looking for music that might appeal to my friend's taste. In music.

fergo
2013-11-26, 07:12 PM
Has anyone mentioned Make It Stop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_90eOj6iWXI) by Rise Against?

In my opinion it's a pretty great song, and definitely not goofy (as some people were talking about in the thread). Itisn't the most cheerful song, being about kids being driven to suicide because of their sexual orientation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Make_It_Stop_(September's_Children)), but while tragic, it's uplifting at the same time, and definitely pro-LGBT.

PeglegJim
2013-11-27, 01:54 PM
Well that's a pretty weird request, but I really like the song Wut by Le1f so here ya go paizano.

LE1F-Wut (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrnq4SZ0luc)

Maryring
2013-11-28, 06:53 PM
The creepy promoter deciding lesbian schoolgirl fantasy was a good way to sell more records. There's straight but not narrow, and then there's just plain exploitative.

Edit: I take that back; apparently Yulia identifies as bisexual. Not the bit about it being creepy and exploitative, though. That's still true.

Eh. I generally don't think a work of art should be dragged down by who the artist is. And I personally like the songs.

Lauren
2013-11-29, 04:43 AM
Vienna Teng's 'City Hall (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rikj0WMGbDU)' is a beautiful song that's about equal marriage rights. Lyrics are here (http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/viennateng/cityhall.html).