PDA

View Full Version : Deliberately Broken PC

Summerhawk
2013-11-11, 11:02 PM
So, I'm playing in an upcoming 3.5 campaign where the DM's instructions are to make the PCs as brokenly good as possible. But in an 'interesting/creative' way.

I don't know what the party consists of thus far, but I know it's going to be horrifically broken, as we have some very experienced players.

This is all going to be homebrew settings, and knowing the DM, is going to devolve into crazy awesome shenanigans.

So, almighty playground, give me ideas on a build/class that's both broken enough and creative.

Oh, and starting level is 10.

I've taken a look at dweomerkeeper, incantatrix, tainted scholar, and illithid savant, but am not really that familiar with practical play of any of these PrCs.
I really like the idea of illithid savant, but I don't see how to get in that class and make it viable at only level 10.

My go-to, default class to play is druid. I have considered Planar Shepherd, and while that definitely fulfills the horrifically broken campaign requirements, I don't know if it's 'creative' enough.

Any suggestions?

geekintheground
2013-11-11, 11:10 PM
i think you could be plenty creative with a planar shepherd depending on what plane you pick. but a different route would be human factotum/iaijutsu master which i hear can be pretty nuts. or cleric.

Doc_Maynot
2013-11-11, 11:14 PM
Question, is third party allowed?

OldTrees1
2013-11-11, 11:15 PM
This is probably not at the same level but I thought it was broken enough to be worth sharing.

The most flexible interpretation of Mighty Swing (Warhulk 4 from Minatures Handbook) and Knock-down (Feat from Deities and Demigods/SRD):

Each iterative attack is a Mighty Swing (the attack roll affects 3 squares)
Each hit that deals 10+ damage triggers a trip attack
Each trip attack is a Mighty Swing (BUT targets beyond the first are not trip attacks)
Each successful trip is rewarded with a replacement attack against that foe (not a Mighty Swing)

So against 3 medium sided foes arranged in a corner
X
XX
You get (4 attacks and 1 trip) per foe per iterative attack.

ArqArturo
2013-11-11, 11:22 PM
Nothing says broken like Pun-Pun.

HaikenEdge
2013-11-11, 11:48 PM
I'd go with a Totemist Smacker build that takes advantage of the Soul Eater PrC to layer on Energy Drains. It won't be as broken as say, a Diplomancer, but you'll probably hose a lot of lower-level enemies when you hit them.

Rubik
2013-11-12, 12:06 AM
Is LA buyoff allowed? If so, it doesn't matter what else you do, start taking levels in the ghost savage progression at level 4, and each time you do, immediately buy off the LA you just got. (So, take a level, then immediately buy it off. Take another level, immediately buy it off. Take a third level, immediately buy it off. And so on. You'll be gaining a lot of extra XP by the end, and you're incorporeal, so very little can actually harm you.) Take Malevolence as early as possible so you can use enemy bodies instead of risking yourself.

Also take the Human Heritage feat, so you can't be turned as undead or be controlled by Control Undead or Command Undead (since you count as a humanoid [human]).

khachaturian
2013-11-12, 12:14 AM
if this is actually going to be a game, then i don't think the gm understands the term "broken"

Feint's End
2013-11-12, 06:58 AM
if this is actually going to be a game, then i don't think the gm understands the term "broken"

I agree with that to a certain extend. Ask your DM to clarify the term broken because most real broken things are not fun to use on a constant basis. Or did he mean you should use a broken combo normally like say going Incantatrix, using reducers and just use them to make cool stuff?

Darrin
2013-11-12, 07:30 AM
Start here:

Famous optimized character builds (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258580).

mabriss lethe
2013-11-12, 11:21 AM
I'm AFB, but here's my thought: Psionic variant illithid/Factotum/Illithid Savant? That's just off the top of my head, I have no idea what the actual breakdown would be. (It's been a while since I looked at the P-variant illithid or the illithid savant prc. ) If I remember correctly, Deepspawn were given a purchase price in Lost Empires, something like 35K maybe, though I could be pulling that completely out of thin air. Get a deepspawn pet, feed interesting foes to your pet, let him continuously spawn clones of your foes in down time, then munch on their brains for extra goodies.

JaronK
2013-11-12, 11:52 AM
The most broken character I've played, at level 10, would be Binder 1/Archivist 3/Anima Mage 5/Tainted Sorcerer 1. You'll want Persistent Spell and Improved Binding, and then other metamagics for flavor.

This lets you have two persistent spells per day (by extending after you persist, so each lasts 48 hours), plus you can use Tainted Metamagic all day long with Naberius to heal the con damage. You can have pretty nearly any spell you want, and you don't have to pay any material component costs (may I suggest Favorable Sacrifice for DR 20/Magic, Resist all elemental damage 20, and huge SR?). And because of the rapidly healing ability damage thing, spells like Lahm's Finger Darts become amazing killers.

JaronK

Fax Celestis
2013-11-12, 12:17 PM
The most broken character I've played, at level 10, would be Binder 1/Archivist 3/Anima Mage 5/Tainted Sorcerer 1. You'll want Persistent Spell and Improved Binding, and then other metamagics for flavor.

This lets you have two persistent spells per day (by extending after you persist, so each lasts 48 hours), plus you can use Tainted Metamagic all day long with Naberius to heal the con damage. You can have pretty nearly any spell you want, and you don't have to pay any material component costs (may I suggest Favorable Sacrifice for DR 20/Magic, Resist all elemental damage 20, and huge SR?). And because of the rapidly healing ability damage thing, spells like Lahm's Finger Darts become amazing killers.

JaronK

Can you be sanctified and tainted at the same time? Because I think casting sanctified spells through this setup might be pretty cool.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-11-12, 12:36 PM
There's always this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259833), if you really* want to make something insanely broken. As a Barbarian. At ECL 2.

*"Really" as in "Do you really want to do that"

JaronK
2013-11-12, 01:17 PM
Can you be sanctified and tainted at the same time? Because I think casting sanctified spells through this setup might be pretty cool.

No, sadly you can't cast Sanctified spells if you're evil. But Corrupt spells are fair game.

JaronK

Metahuman1
2013-11-12, 01:35 PM
I'd pile as many Psionic Tricks onto one character as possible, and then fluff them as anime-ish named powers/moves/attacks that you call out the name of when you use it. And then, have the names all be horrendously long and insane.

"Iron Wolf Eat's Lamb With Jaws Of Thrashing Steel!"

"Flashing Lunge Of Time Wrapping Speed Boosting Style!"

"Channel Universal Pain Into Unbreakable Object!"

Bonus points if you can do this and get called armor all in a primary color.

Fooliscious
2013-11-12, 01:56 PM
I'd pile as many Psionic Tricks onto one character as possible, and then fluff them as anime-ish named powers/moves/attacks that you call out the name of when you use it. And then, have the names all be horrendously long and insane.

"Iron Wolf Eat's Lamb With Jaws Of Thrashing Steel!"

"Flashing Lunge Of Time Wrapping Speed Boosting Style!"

"Channel Universal Pain Into Unbreakable Object!"

Bonus points if you can do this and get called armor all in a primary color.
I am totally making a Hawk-Fu monk an enemy in my campaign now. MONKEY PICKS TWO PEACHES!

Metahuman1
2013-11-12, 02:01 PM
I am totally making a Hawk-Fu monk an enemy in my campaign now. MONKEY PICKS TWO PEACHES!

This would be more like what would happen if Hawk-Fu was given the same gamma boost Bruce Banner got, but yeah.

Red Fel
2013-11-12, 02:02 PM

"Angry crow takes flight!"

Rubik
2013-11-12, 02:14 PM
"Angry crow takes flight!"At first, I thought you said "Angry cow takes flight!"

I like my version better.

The Glyphstone
2013-11-12, 02:17 PM
"Angry crow takes flight!"

"Thank you for sharing Angry Crow!" *beatdown*

Glad I'm not the only person who's always wanted to play Hok Fu.

Garktz
2013-11-12, 03:31 PM
just going to leave this here....
It might be as broken and creative as you are looking for....

BEHOLD!!! (http://web.archive.org/web/20061112212001/http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=540563)

if you actually go for it, post results

ArqArturo
2013-11-12, 04:31 PM
At first, I thought you said "Angry cow takes flight!"

I like my version better.

What would you call a group of flying cows? Also, how awful if would be to park your car in a tree with lots of flying cows sitting on the tree?.

illyahr
2013-11-12, 05:29 PM
Nothing says broken like Pun-Pun.

Ah, Pun-Pun the Omnipotent. Level 8 Kobold Sorcerer with 100 in each stat and EVERY CLASS ABILITY AND FEAT EVER!!!

KoboldMasteRace
2013-11-12, 07:13 PM
Ah, Pun-Pun the Omnipotent. Level 8 Kobold Sorcerer with 100 in each stat and EVERY CLASS ABILITY AND FEAT EVER!!!

Or the level 5 version that isn't race-specific, or the level 1 version that is again Kobold-specific. Why stop at 100 instead of 20000? Oh yeah, and by RAW it's even debatably able to gain feats that don't exist. You need to brush up on your cheese-fu.

TiaC
2013-11-12, 08:33 PM
Necropolitan Spellthief 1/Wizard 4/ Unseen Seer 4/ Spelldancer 1.
You have unlimited persisting power from Spelldancer which allows you to persist massive numbers of Fell drain cloud of knives with hunter's eye allowing at least +8d6 sneak attack.

Chameleon is always fun, you can put summon giants in your 4th level slot.

Sorcerer 5/Prestige Bard 2/Virtuoso 2/Witch hunter 1 is all ready to enter Sublime Chord.

Hatchling Phaerim can be ridiculous.

Pickford
2013-11-12, 11:37 PM
Well, it won't take shape until a few more levels beyond 10th, but anything based in Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil can be pretty gamebreaking, especially with the right suite of spells to compliment it. The Prismatic spells are pretty awesome for just screwing with opponents. Proper application of Abjuration magic can counter basically anything.

I'm of the opinion, Pun-Pun isn't possible, as the ascension method can seemingly be achieved in as little as a few hours. Thus if pun-pun were threatening to, say a deity, it would automatically trigger their sensors weeks/months in advance, leading to pun-pun's demise prior to the wish enacting. (i.e. A deity shows up and snuffs the life out of any PC who tries it).

JaronK: Extend Spell can't layer on top of Persistent Spell. Persistent spells are improved to a 24 hour duration, Extend spell doubles the 'normal' duration (i.e. not 24 hours, which is an altered duration).

Rubik
2013-11-12, 11:57 PM
JaronK: Extend Spell can't layer on top of Persistent Spell. Persistent spells are improved to a 24 hour duration, Extend spell doubles the 'normal' duration (i.e. not 24 hours, which is an altered duration).Question! What is normally the duration for a Persisted spell?

Pickford
2013-11-13, 12:00 AM
Question! What is normally the duration for a Persisted spell?

Ah semantics will avail ye not foul multi-colored cube!

The normal duration is whatever the base spell's duration is. To find that you'd have to name a spell, and then look it up in the appropriate book.

Metamagic alters spells, for better or worse, which means a metamagicked spell represents an altered spell, not a base spell.

anacalgion
2013-11-13, 12:01 AM
Or the level 5 version that isn't race-specific, or the level 1 version that is again Kobold-specific. Why stop at 100 instead of 20000? Oh yeah, and by RAW it's even debatably able to gain feats that don't exist. You need to brush up on your cheese-fu.

Feats don't accomplish much. It's the whole "immunity to everything and infinite reach / HD / divine ranks / pastries" without making stuff up that gets exceptionally silly. But yeah, that's the core idea.

Aliek
2013-11-13, 12:41 AM

If you're into some Cheese™, the first spell you'd persist is Unfettered Heroism, from Races of Eberron, granting you an extra action point per turn. Why an action point, you ask?

Let's say...

Activate Class Ability

A character can spend 1 action point to gain another use of a class ability that has a limited number of uses per day. For example, a monk might spend an action point to gain another use of her stunning fist ability, or a paladin might spend an action point to make an additional smite attack.

Just instead of using it on puny monk or paladin abilities, we'll use it on Vestige Metamagic, thus having a free persist once every 5 rounds or so.

DeathOfAMailman
2013-11-13, 12:47 AM
If you like Druid for the wild shape, I always like using the Divine Minion template to grab druid wild shape and move into Master of Many Forms ridiculously early.

Astral Avenger
2013-11-13, 12:53 AM
What would you call a group of flying cows? Also, how awful if would be to park your car in a tree with lots of flying cows sitting on the tree?.

A fall of flying cows? A moon-jump of cows?

The Dodr Dragon
2013-11-13, 11:44 AM
See if your dm will let you use this:
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Cowlord_(3.5e_Prestige_Class))

I believe these are the stats for a cow?
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Cow_(3.5e_Creature))

With 20 charisma you will have 23 of these hulking, murdering monsters.

LordConcrete
2013-11-13, 11:28 PM
Illithid Savant is fabulous.
Get everything everyone has said already.
All at the same time.

Rubik
2013-11-13, 11:54 PM
Okay. Egoist psion 7/illithid savant 3. Use Metamorphosis to qualify for the PrC. Eat the brain of a spell-to-power erudite to tack on the ability to learn spells and psionic powers. Make sure your first level feats include Supernatural Transformation (Psionics) so your ML scales properly (along with all the other benefits).

You can spontaneously manifest any power or spell you know without being limited by UPPD. Gain a couple of levels in psion and Psionic Dominate the tarrasque from afar. Put a shrink collar on it (from the Arms & Equipment Guide) to make it Small. Buy a power stone each of Fusion and Astral Seed. Metamorphosis into a hydra, command the tarrasque to lower its defenses. Manifest from the power stones and off yourself.

Retrain the resulting racial HD, or use negative levels and a thought bottle to exchange all of the racial HD to class levels. Take psion all the way to 20 and illithid savant the rest of the way. Make sure you eat a metamind for its level 10 capstone for infinite pp for 1 minute a day, and learn the Temporal Reiteration power to make it permanent, as well as every other psionic power and spell (divine as arcane, etc) in existence.

Do exactly what you did to the tarrasque but to a PAO'd devastation beetle. Before you manifest Astral Seed, hire a bard to use inspire greatness for +2 HD. Retrain as before.

Now you're a 130 HD manifester with 110 levels of illithid savant.

Make an ice assassin of yourself.

Retrain all of your class levels into other classes you might want, such as a level of conjuror wizard for abrupt jaunt, three levels of cleric to qualify for Initiate of Mystra, 20 levels of factotum, etc etc etc. Make sure as many levels of illithid savant are in the build as possible from the ground up.

Fusion/Astral Seed/Etc on the ice assassin.

Now you're gestalt by default! And you've got as many abilities grafted onto yourself as is physically possible!

Have fun!

Con_Brio1993
2013-11-14, 12:10 AM
Stolen from JaronK

Binder 1/Archivist 3/Anima Mage 10/Tainted Sorcerer 1/Tenebrous Apostate 5, using the divine adaptation of Anima Mage. Bind Naberius, Zceryll, and Tenebrous. Take that Ritual of Shadow-Walking, along with lots of metamgic feats and the feat that lets you spend a turn undead attempt to counter a spell as an immediate action. Enjoy your endless metamagic, nearly endless spells, insanely high spell save DCs, near unlimited access to every spell ever, and ability to spam creatures out everywhere, plus complete situational awareness. Game broken. And it doesn't use any loops or similar things.

Seems fairly creative to me.