PDA

View Full Version : Fimbulwinter and Maximize

Glarx
2013-11-11, 11:06 PM
Hello, Playground!

The text for the Maximize Spell metamagic says that all variable, numeric effects of a spell are maximized. Fimbulwinter has two variables -- duration, and the d20 roll. My question is simple -- would maximize make it be 48 weeks and a "20" on the d20 roll? And yes, I'm aware that it's an eighth level spell and that without metamagic reducers it would be cast from an 11th level spell slot. That's not at stake here -- just curious about whether the duration and the d20 roll both would be maximized, or if it would only be one (and if it's only one, which one?).

Thanks!

AlltheBooks
2013-11-11, 11:13 PM
Duration determines the length of time the spell's effect takes... effect? Meh phone not correcting.

As for the roll don't have books atm, would have to look at the spell but I'm sure someone will be along shortly.

Dumbledore lives
2013-11-11, 11:17 PM
I think it would make both effects max after all it does say, 'All variable, numeric effects of a spell modified by this feat are maximized'. It will be a miserable winter.

Doc_Maynot
2013-11-11, 11:20 PM
But how would you cast it with maximise? I really can't see how unless you are going to DMM it.

Noedig
2013-11-11, 11:22 PM
RAW, yes, you get 48 weeks of winter wonderland, with 7 feet of snowfall per day with very strong winds. In short, you have just made it lethally suck to live in the area 17 miles around your target location.

Scumbaggery
2013-11-11, 11:23 PM
But how would you cast it with maximise? I really can't see how unless you are going to DMM it.

Hello, Playground!

The text for the Maximize Spell metamagic says that all variable, numeric effects of a spell are maximized. Fimbulwinter has two variables -- duration, and the d20 roll. My question is simple -- would maximize make it be 48 weeks and a "20" on the d20 roll? And yes, I'm aware that it's an eighth level spell and that without metamagic reducers it would be cast from an 11th level spell slot. That's not at stake here -- just curious about whether the duration and the d20 roll both would be maximized, or if it would only be one (and if it's only one, which one?).

Thanks!

And, yes, I believe both variables are maximized.

Deophaun
2013-11-11, 11:23 PM
Greater metamagic rod of maximize?

Arcane Thesis (Fimbulwinter) + Practical Metamagic (Maximize) + Energy Substitution?

Noedig
2013-11-11, 11:30 PM
Master Transmuter, Focused Transmuter? Edit: Both?

CyberThread
2013-11-11, 11:34 PM
Don't forget to dip that shadow adept, make it a real pain in the ass, to detect and dispel.

Jeff the Green
2013-11-12, 12:57 AM
I don't think duration counts as an effect, and the d20 roll is random but not numeric. So the only thing that would be maximized is the amount of snow that thaws/melts for each category. So if you rolled a 6 on the chart, you could make 3 inches of snow fall (1d4-1 inches maximized), no snow fall, or 12 inches of snow melt.

Curiously enough, this is actually a fantastic spell to get rid of snow, since you can always make snow melt regardless of the environment or your roll.