PDA

View Full Version : How does one Cheese compare to the other?

unseenmage
2013-11-11, 11:37 PM
I'm curious how a Custom Magic Item Spell Turret (DMG2pg45) compares to the Spellsong Nightingale (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070115a) (Clockwork Wonders web enhancement) when both are used for the Elation (BoED) plus Distilled Joy (BoED) combo to create Ambrosia (BoED) for fun and profit?

The Spell Turret can potentially run endlessly so long as there's a volunteer victim. But the Spellsong Nightingale actually casts the spells but has to be recharged every so often.

I'm unsure what the gain/loss is for the Nightingale between what one gains selling the Ambrosia and what one loses recharging it.

(It amuses me that both can incorporate the Suggestion spell for the volunteer victim to return for another dose the next day.)

ryu
2013-11-11, 11:46 PM
Why waste spell castings on elation when you can simply run a happiness brothel and use the extra turret space on a spell to improve business and get more targets for the ambrosia harvest? This has the added benefit of also getting you gold, and the natural right to wear a purple robe, a fuzzy covering on your shrunken lead hat, and a golden tooth.

unseenmage
2013-11-11, 11:48 PM
Why waste spell castings on elation when you can simply run a happiness brothel and use the extra turret space on a spell to improve business and get more targets for the ambrosia harvest? This has the added benefit of also getting you gold, and the natural right to wear a purple robe, a fuzzy covering on your shrunken lead hat, and a golden tooth.

The Construct is mobile, and can be made Intelligent with the Sacred Guardian Template.
Along with the other benefits of having a creature cast the spells over having an Item use the spells. (Whatever those may be. :smallsmile:)

ryu
2013-11-11, 11:52 PM
The Construct is mobile, and can be made Intelligent with the Sacred Guardian Template.
Along with the other benefits of having a creature cast the spells over having an Item use the spells. (Whatever those may be. :smallsmile:)

And who said the construct couldn't be the equivalent of the clerk and basic business servant? It can even hand out the holy nipple clamps of exquisite pain. After all we're an ambrosia establishment and some paladins may well frown on us not using the holy versions of our various items. I should know. I regularly make my place as a major economic force across the planes in this market.

unseenmage
2013-11-11, 11:59 PM
And who said the construct couldn't be the equivalent of the clerk and basic business servant? It can even hand out the holy nipple clamps of exquisite pain. After all we're an ambrosia establishment and some paladins may well frown on us not using the holy versions of our various items. I should know. I regularly make my place as a major economic force across the planes in this market.

Genuine lol at that.
The Elation spell replaces the Nipple Clamps in my scenario. Also keeps things more 'holy' for the application of the Sacred Guardian template.

Though as I think about it, an equally evil Domain and companion spell could easily be incorporated.

captain fubar
2013-11-12, 12:08 AM
dosnt spell turret require that all 4 spells be of the same level?
you could fix that with the use of a +1 meta magic on elation or using it from the wizerd list that is a levell higher than the others. then you still need two more third level spells for the turret from schools not yet used.

also while the spell turret has no move speed it is anchored to a object that could verry well be moble put them on carts, ships, your big WoW style sholder guards, ...

unseenmage
2013-11-12, 12:16 AM
dosnt spell turret require that all 4 spells be of the same level?
you could fix that with the use of a +1 meta magic on elation or using it from the wizerd list that is a levell higher than the others. then you still need two more third level spells for the turret from schools not yet used.

also while the spell turret has no move speed it is anchored to a object that dould verry well be moble put them on carts, ships, your big WoW style sholder guards, ...

Distilled Joy, Elation, and Suggestion are all Sor/Wiz 3 and all from different schools so they work for the Spell Turret. Insert random appropriate 4th spell here.

To play devil's advocate a bit, while mobilizing the Turret can be done, the Nightingale is diminutive, mouse sized, and flies so it's just ripe for use in Diplomancy situations.
(For some reason whenever that dashing young adventurer is at court the Queen just cannot contain her happiness.)

unseenmage
2013-11-14, 04:34 PM
I'm curious, could one put a Metamagic-ed spell into a Spellsong Nightingale?

And because the Nightingale "casts" the stored spells would making it Intelligent via Template application or the Awaken spell allow it to use Metamagic feats?