PDA

View Full Version : The History Channel

slipnslide
2007-01-09, 03:26 PM
anybody else in here a fan? i'm pretty much addicted. and i just found out the show digging for the truth is coming back for a third season on jan. 22. that show is freakin awesome. it's kinda like watching an adventure/history movie -- but instead the facts are real and they are legitimately investigating historical mysteries. the first episode is 2 hour special on atlantis. sounds pretty cool. what do you guys think?

Jack Squat
2007-01-09, 03:45 PM
I used to watch History all the time, but now alot of junk is being broadcast more and more. I still watch from time to time, but not as often.

Oeryn
2007-01-09, 04:51 PM
Small potatoes, compared to all the other junk out there. I'd rather have half a historical program than the latest "Has-Beens doing the most embarrassing things we can think of" reality show.

Obviously, I'm a fan.

Jack Squat
2007-01-09, 04:55 PM
yeah, it is better than most other stuff, but I normally only go to three different channels, History, Sci-Fi, and G4. not much "reality" shows on those.

Tharj TreeSmiter
2007-01-09, 05:53 PM
Ya it's a great channel, Tivo records from it constantly either that or discovery or sci-fi channels.

Om
2007-01-09, 06:37 PM
I dip in now and again if there's nothing else on. I'm very wary of the HC though because as impressive as the graphics are you can't expect to get more than a basic grasp of the topic. Sometime its even worse and you get fed bad history.

So while its good if I have a passing interest in the subject I'd never rely on it for eras that I'm interested in.

General_Ghoul
2007-01-09, 09:08 PM
I just wish they'd run more History International cross programming, since I've seen most of their stuff. Between HC, TLC, and Discovery my nights are covered. Slightly off topic, why did Discovery move American Chopper and American Hotrod to TLC (I know the same company owns both, by why give up 2 of your top three ratings shows)?

TinSoldier
2007-01-09, 10:40 PM
I just wish they'd run more History International cross programming, since I've seen most of their stuff. Between HC, TLC, and Discovery my nights are covered.Yeah, these are the channels I watch most, plus History International. I love that stuff!

I just wish there were fewer commercials...

Amotis
2007-01-10, 12:07 AM
The only channel I really do watch. Even Band of Brothers which has been on. I got sad.

Tharj TreeSmiter
2007-01-10, 12:24 AM
I dip in now and again if there's nothing else on. I'm very wary of the HC though because as impressive as the graphics are you can't expect to get more than a basic grasp of the topic. Sometime its even worse and you get fed bad history.

So while its good if I have a passing interest in the subject I'd never rely on it for eras that I'm interested in.

Generally it's pretty solid info and accurate history but ya occasionally there is a bad show that is more sensation than informative.

Vaynor
2007-01-10, 02:34 AM
History Channel rocks, I especially like Modern Marvels, and that one Rome special they did a while back.

slipnslide
2007-01-10, 03:28 PM
glad to see some other history channel addicts in here. so has anyone else seen digging for the truth? anyone gonna watch with me so we can discuss? i also like modern marvels too.

Tharj TreeSmiter
2007-01-10, 04:27 PM
glad to see some other history channel addicts in here. so has anyone else seen digging for the truth? anyone gonna watch with me so we can discuss? i also like modern marvels too.

I watch digging, he's a bit silly sometimes and the info is pretty top-level. My guess is that it's aiming at younger audiences or those who aren't history buffs.

But it's still entertaining.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-01-10, 04:31 PM
I used to watch it when I was ill and off school. When I was really young.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-10, 04:34 PM
I would if I was willing to pay for a dish, which I'm not. However, have caught shows at grandparent's house when I go to visit.

I was once a fan of the Discover channel, but honestly, everytime I turn it on its like the same shows are running, and if I have to see another tiger chasing a gazelle I'm going to throw something hard at the screen. And if its not that, its some other overdone theme, usually alligators/crocodiles. C'mon folks, our world is huge and diverse with life. Why can't we show something new?

I was as upset by anyone by the death of the Crocodile Hunter, but honestly if I saw one more of his shows... then again, it may be even worse now, they'll all just be repeats.

bosssmiley
2007-01-13, 06:07 AM
History Channel is ok ("Band of Brothers" pwns), but UKTV History blows it out of the water for quality of content. "Worst Jobs in History", "Industrial Revelations" and Simon Schama's "History of Britain" ftw!

Artanis
2007-01-14, 03:34 PM
I like the History channel as well, especially now that they're drifting away from being "The Hitler Channel" (all WWII all the time!) a bit. My current addiction is further fueled by the fact that I currently get it despite only having Comcast's el cheapo cable package (19 working channels, including 2 religion channels, 2 shopping channels, and 1 local-events channel).

Amotis
2007-01-14, 03:36 PM
I like it when History goes all religious. That Hell and devil stuff week made me ditch class to watch it. It was very addicting.

Zangor
2007-01-17, 03:38 PM
I love the History Channel. I tend to catch specials when they interest me, and if I see an advertisement for a mini-series that seems cool, I try to catch all the episodes of that. And I like Mail Call. That show is great.

Oeryn
2007-01-17, 04:01 PM
I think my new favorite is Dogfights. My Dad was in the Air Force, and I've loved planes since I was a little kid. It's pretty amazing, seeing some of those old WWII guys talk about dogfights that happened 60 years ago.

Om
2007-01-18, 09:57 AM
I think my new favorite is Dogfights. My Dad was in the Air Force, and I've loved planes since I was a little kid. It's pretty amazing, seeing some of those old WWII guys talk about dogfights that happened 60 years ago.I've seen that once or twice and it is good, if a bit too focused on individual feats. I've always been more impressed by the WWI aces though - it took some balls to go up there in those flimsy wood and canvas contraptions and start shooting at each other.

slipnslide
2007-01-18, 02:01 PM
oooh i love dogfights too. that show is awesome. it's like a cross between history, a movie, and video games. very cool. glad to see you guys are with me on the history channel addiction, but it doesnt sound like too many of you know about digging for the truth...i highly recommend. you guys should check it out on monday night.

slipnslide
2007-01-22, 05:16 PM
Just a bump to say tonight's the night. I set my DVR to get all 2 hours of it... looks awesome

Maelstrom
2007-01-22, 08:30 PM
Slightly off topic, why did Discovery move American Chopper and American Hotrod to TLC

Prolly because the only thing to discover on that show is the inner workings of a dysfunctional family and how to put together (for the most part) shoddy looking commercially themed bikes...

But as to why to move it to "The Learning Channel", who knows...

Artanis
2007-01-23, 10:06 AM
Prolly because the only thing to discover on that show is the inner workings of a dysfunctional family and how to put together (for the most part) shoddy looking commercially themed bikes...

But as to why to move it to "The Learning Channel", who knows...
To learn how to make everybody around you hate your guts just like everybody on the show has the entire world hating their guts? :smalltongue:

Ulrich_Brew
2007-01-23, 07:11 PM
I occasionally watch the history channel. The only problem I have with them is they fit 15 minutes of information into a 1 hour slot. At least that is how their actual historical information is. I normally don't watch the original programing found on The History Channel, Discovery, or any other comparable channels.

slipnslide
2007-01-24, 05:21 PM
Well I like the pacing, because I think it lets you absorb and think about all the information they've given you...that's why I like Digging so much...they take all these different perspectives, from a scientist to a psychics and use all the information they have...Did you catch the show?

ampcptlogic
2007-01-24, 05:28 PM
I'm fond of Digging for History and Lost Worlds. And anything to do with Pre-Columbian Mesoamerica.

Om
2007-01-30, 11:03 AM
I just caught an excellent program by Tony Robinson on the Peasant Revolt of 1381 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_peasants%27_revolt_of_1381). Its good to see that HC can do something other than WWII and do it well.

slipnslide
2007-01-30, 12:36 PM
yea, i think too many people think the the history channel is just about WWII. it has some great stuff on more ancient history. and that is one of the reasons i love digging for the truth, cuz it delves into all kind of different stuff from sooo many different time periods.

anyone catch the latest episode?

Oeryn
2007-01-30, 12:37 PM
I gave "Digging for the Truth" a shot the other night, but couldn't stick with it. The host drove me up the wall.

Setra
2007-01-30, 03:25 PM
I like to watch it occasionally, for shows like Modern Marvels, and those shows they do on odd things, like certain candies and whatnot, similar to unwrapped on the Food Network, but generally can cover more than just food.

Om
2007-01-30, 04:06 PM
I gave "Digging for the Truth" a shot the other night, but couldn't stick with it. The host drove me up the wall.I saw a small segment of that once and was horrified. It looked like a Hollywood version of Time Team hosted by Indiana Jones.

Dr._Weird
2007-01-30, 04:13 PM
I saw a small segment of that once and was horrified. It looked like a Hollywood version of Time Team hosted by Indiana Jones.

Am I the only one who think that sounds like an awesome idea? (In one of those so terrible and unintentionally silly ways, of course.) I don't watch TV (Except for 24), so I can't comment on the rest of this. Books and the internets is where it's at.

Om
2007-01-30, 05:28 PM
Am I the only one who think that sounds like an awesome idea? (In one of those so terrible and unintentionally silly ways, of course.)You're right in a way. If it had been billed as a comedy, a la The Office, then I would have been laughing away in between the grimaces. But when its done for real and is a hugely popular show... well that's almost depressing.

Thiel
2007-01-31, 05:05 AM
History Channel doesn't broadcast in Denmark, so I don't watch it but I do watch Discovery, Discovery Travel, Discovery Civ, Discovery Science and National Geographic. I especially like programs like Mega-structures and "How did they build that?"

slipnslide
2007-01-31, 06:10 PM
i dont know guys. its just a more fun way of looking at some of this historical stuff. i loved watching him run around in mongolia. i really didnt know anything about that part of a world. it's amazing how some of them still live like that. and i had to laugh when josh fell off his horse!

jono
2007-01-31, 06:51 PM
"And now on the History Channel; we investigate another facet of the third Reich in: 'Hitler's pot-washers.' Followed by more documentaries investigating Nazi Occultism, even though most of the theories we present have been largely discredited my mainstream academia, but still, never mind!"

Nice to hear that it's moving away from being all "Hitler n' da Civil War." A lot of the other stuff they do is really good. They had one series a few years back "Russia; Land of the Tzars." That was a lot of fun.

Artanis
2007-02-01, 09:41 AM
Engineering an Empire is also cool, and you can't help but love Mail Call. Any show with R. Lee Ermey is worth watching!

doliemaster
2007-02-03, 05:58 AM
I love the channel, but I don't like these shootout and dogfight shows that eat up and hour apiece, I wanna see America Eats when do they come on?

Ceska
2007-02-04, 07:26 AM
Personally I can't watch it and when I did at other places I wasn't impressed at all. Either bored or turned of by misinformation. Arte is the best German Channel anyway and most others can't compare.

Idris
2007-02-05, 03:58 AM
I'm not really into history post English Revolution, and there is far too much emphasis on WW2 and the Nazis on the History Channel, but I have caught some interesting archaeological stuff.

We don't seem to get Digging for the Truth on the UK version - pity as it sounds like fun.

Idris

Amotis
2007-02-05, 11:09 AM
Do they do new shows of Mail Call? I used to like it but now it's all reruns and boring.

slipnslide
2007-02-05, 07:49 PM
i dont know if they do new shows of mail call. just wanted to bump the thread and remind everyone there is a new episode of digging for the truth on tonight. this one is about king tut. sounds cool. i wish i could go to egypt. better start saving! :)