PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on how to build Thor [3.5]

Macabros
2013-11-12, 12:07 PM
Ok so I have a friend who is also going to be in the game apparently and of course the only real character he knows of the Sword and Sorcerer Genre is Thor. He is a big fan of Thor but doesnt know much of the other types of characters outside of movies.

So he wants to build Thor for our level 5 starting campaign.
Of course he knows he has to take a class with proficiency in Warhammer or one that gives him all martial weapons but he isn't sure what class to play.

I suggested Cleric because of the warhammer option, the spell casting and still having decent BAB. But he did notice that some other classes like the Druid have some really wicked lightning and storm focused spells.

So he wanted to know if there was a build idea or just feat and class trickery to get him access to some of those spells even if its limited. For some reason he saw Storm of Vengeance on the Druid list and began to drool so is there?

Also he and I both figured Human for the race, but I thought maybe Aasimar which would be better? I only thought of the Aasimar due to their Outsider type and it fights with being from another world. But what do you guys suggest?

The books allowed are all core, and most of the supplements including the Dragon mags and things like that, official web only stuff is allowed too as long as it exists on the official pages or with a link to an official source (DM's ruling)

Flickerdart
2013-11-12, 12:27 PM
Duskblade 13+/Bloodstorm Blade 2+ lets you channel a touch spell into your weapon and then throw it at enemies as a full attack to deal both weapon damage and spell damage on each hit (Duskblade 3 lets you channel as a standard action, but full attack channel is worth staying in the class for). Duskblades get Shocking Grasp and Chain Lighting by default, and you can add more spells with feats. At level 7, a Duskblade 5/Bloodstorm Blade 2 can chuck around pretty nice hammer strikes.

If you prefer the cleric route, Ordained Champion lets you channel a spell into your weapon as a move action, so something like Cleric 4/Ordained Champion 3/Bloodstorm Blade 2 would let him imbue his hammer with his favourite lightning spell and then throw it at people (or hit them with it).

lytokk
2013-11-12, 12:30 PM
I always saw thor as a Paladin. Its not Thor himself that has the ability to call lightning, its Mjolinir's power. I probably spelled that wrong. Without his hammer, he's just really strong. I can see him with power attack and improved sunder to start. He doesn't have the divine spellcasting ability, so perhaps crusader?

The hammer itself, Shocking burst and returning, magically enchanted so only another paladin can use it.

Macabros
2013-11-12, 12:50 PM
Ok that is a misconception. Thor is the God of Lightning and Strength long before he gained the right to lift Mjolnir. Thor can call lightning and storms and possesses a great deal of strength without it. Mjolnir is a focal point that allows him to more easily channel that lightning with a great deal more accuracy, Mjolnir is indeed magical but not the source of Thor's power.

The reason I suggested Cleric was due to the domains, and he can cast magic and the like without the Mjolnir.

I know you can get a Throw and Return Warhammer to get it to do that, but yeah you're investing tons of GP into a single weapon.

I never think Paladin when I think of Thor, I think Gandalf. Thor is a protector of the weak and that, but he does not hold to the Lawful Good feel and even though he wears heavy armor he does not rely on that armor, he calls upon his own magical energies to fight so he fits more like Cleric.

Snowbluff
2013-11-12, 12:55 PM
This is how I keep track of new Thor/Avengers movies and when they come out.

Macabros
2013-11-12, 12:59 PM
You know I totally forgot that the new movie just came out. I live out in the boonies it takes me 35 mins to drive to a movie theater so I forget what comes out.

lytokk
2013-11-12, 12:59 PM
My assumption was that he was referring to the movie's Thor, not the Norse god. My whole thought was to build Thor as he is in the Marvel Movies, not as how the god is portrayed in Norse Myths, or even as to how he may be portrayed in the comics, which unfortunately I don't have any experience with.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-12, 01:04 PM
Meh, still best to do Thor a cleric-pretending-to-be-a-paladin build. Something like Cleric-Ordained Champion-Fist of Raziel, perhaps. You can probably get most of the snazzy storm spells via domains-- the Spell Compendium has a bunch.

Alternately, if you can persuade the DM to drop the deity requirement and substitute hammers for spears, the Stormlord PrC would be a pretty good fit.

Macabros
2013-11-12, 01:10 PM
Well I was referring to Marvel's Thor. I know Thor comics too and yes indeed Marvel's Thor is capable of manipulating and calling down lightning and the like before he had Mjolnir.

And yes I can see the Cleric posing as a Paladin thing, having an honor code does not make you a paladin.

Anyone got any advice on Feats, items, etc?

Edit: Ok Stormlord fits to a T and I will ask the GM if he can, shouldn't be to bad.

What build should I suggest to him? We cannot prestige before level 6 (We start at level 5, he didnt want any prc shenanigans)

AstralFire
2013-11-12, 01:17 PM
My recommendation: Druidic Avenger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druidVariantDruidicAve nger), lose Wild Shape, gain Full Barbarian Rage progression. Allow Arcane Strike from Complete Warrior to function with Druid Spells and make it Thunder Strike.

He can use his magical power to hit really hard, when he's raging he can't focus his power on the majesty of nature but he can still hit things with lightning, no animal companion. It's not exactly Thor, but I think it maps pretty well.

Telonius
2013-11-12, 01:45 PM
I'd probably put him as a Crusader, heavy on the Stone Dragon. What to do about Mjolnir is probably going to determine just how the build goes. Is it an item Familiar? Legacy Weapon? Kensai favored weapon?

Angelalex242
2013-11-12, 03:07 PM
An example of Thor is built in the D&D Deities and Demigods book. (Of course, the PC should absolutely have gauntlets of ogre power, a belt of +6 giant strength, and a Hammer of Thunderbolts to simulate Mjolnir).

Macabros
2013-11-12, 05:45 PM
Yes well that build is kinda vague other then Barbarian 20 and Ranger 20 which makes really little sense other then the battle rage Thor is known for.

Is there any Prc that continue Spellcasting levels but grant Rage and such?

AstralFire
2013-11-12, 06:15 PM
Yes well that build is kinda vague other then Barbarian 20 and Ranger 20 which makes really little sense other then the battle rage Thor is known for.

Is there any Prc that continue Spellcasting levels but grant Rage and such?

Do you mean the build I suggested? That way gives him the druid spells he was awed by but still plenty of martial prowess and a way to flavor lighting melee attacks.

Spellcasting in a rage: there is Rage Mage (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20031116a&page=7), which is pretty terrible.

Wilders are essentially "spell raging" but need a homebrew fix, PrC or ACFs to make that bit really usable, and shouldn't melee much.

(Un)Inspired
2013-11-12, 06:21 PM
Rage Mage! Finally a use for it!

On a more serious note, isn't both marvels Thor and the Thor of mythology 's primary attribute his beef-headedness? It seems wrong to make him a character that relies so heavily on wisdom.

Are you aloud to back port any pathfinder material in your games? If so, you could make him a scarred witch doctor Gish. They cast magic based on their con so the more of a chunk he is, the better his magic. They also have access to classic lightning spells like lightning bolt.

Give him the arctic template cause all Norse dudes should probably have it and it increases his con. Then give him the feral template which further lowers his mental stats and boosts his con even more. Now he's a vicious meat-shaped ball of magic

To Gish him, give him levels in spellsword so he an channel those lightning bolts through his hammer.

Macabros
2013-11-12, 06:31 PM
Ok a lot of people associate Thor with a big dumb lug swinging a hammer around. Well that is a viking in some ways (Not all of them they were also very skilled in tactics) Thor is not that. He is wise yes, but not very book smart, that was Loki's thing.

Thor is hot blooded, hotheaded, arrogant, and a bit of a womanizer this didn't mean he was as dumb as a rock. I think that comes from the comics and the idea that "He is the big strong guy, must mean he has no brains at all" archetype. Thor has bested many people far smarter then him with tactics and sheer tenacity. He is not the brightest bulb in the bunch but that doesn't mean he doesn't produce any light.

The idea would be good for an uber Barbarian idea but Thor it just doesn't work with the idea I or my friend have as Thor.

Rage Mage also doesn't fit as you need to have Rage or Frenzy to begin with, and its arcane spellcaster levels, not divine.

Edit: Sorry forgot Astral. It wouldn't be bad except it does not remove the Druids lack of metal armor. And Thor is kinda known for being plated up and wielding a lot of metal.

AstralFire
2013-11-12, 06:32 PM
Rage Mage! Finally a use for it!

On a more serious note, isn't both marvels Thor and the Thor of mythology 's primary attribute his beef-headedness? It seems wrong to make him a character that relies so heavily on wisdom.

True.

In fact, that will be a problem for any non-Cha caster.

In light of that, I'm gonna back up and go with the Crusader suggestion, reflavor one of the disciplines (his choice) as supernatural and electrical-damage based and increase damage slightly on the higher abilities should he ever get to them.

Any spells he wants to cast should be spell-likes that are part of his magic weapon. Finally, give him a Storm Giant bloodline (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm#giant).

(Un)Inspired
2013-11-12, 06:42 PM
Actually you could make him a warblade and give him the iron heart sword kamate regal bored at a warhammer. If I recall correctly it includes a bunch of lightning spell like abilities.

No ones better than a warblade at bashing people's faces in. Just ignore all the int stuff

Macabros
2013-11-12, 06:55 PM
I have no experience with the Bloodlines can someone explain them to me?

I actually kinda like the Stormlord, it works pretty well with the feel. And I am sending links of all this to him.

However I am suggesting the Stormlord, though I will see if we could maybe talk the DM into trading the Spontaneous Casting and Turn Undead abilities for the Druidic Avenger mechanics for the rage and such

We do not play with heavy optimization, he just wants a character built off that theme. But I will point out the Crusader and Warblade options as those do seem very cool.

Still curious about the bloodlines though.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-11-12, 06:56 PM
This sort of thing has been done at least once before in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265506#14):

Duskblade 7/ Divine Crusader 3/ Paragnostic Apostle 2, Windstorm domain, Divine Understanding: Windstorm, Energy Supremacy: Electricity. Edit: If you can find room for it, get Born of the Three Thunders (CA) with either Quick Recovery (LoM) or Daze immunity (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851). Practiced Spellcaster for Divine Crusader is highly recommended.

Take Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm) (Mjölnir), which starts as a +1 Warhammer and he can upgrade it himself as though he had all the right item creation feats. It definitely needs Throwing, but not necessarily Returning (see below), and I'd also include Thundering. Note that being an Item Familiar will enable him to add intelligent item properties to it via normal crafting rules, as opposed to gaining them via the Item Familiar progression at full price. One of its abilities is that it can use Swift Fly at will (priced as Detect Thoughts in the greater powers), the item itself spends a swift action to activate this each round on itself (intelligent items are regarded as constructs and thus creatures) and it drags him along. The hammer can also fly back into his hand after he's thrown it. I'd also give it a special purpose (of his choosing, he's the one who enchanted it) and the dedicated power to use Lightning Bolt at will, which Mjölnir itself can spend an action to cast every round. That means in a given round, Mjölnir can use Lightning Bolt (standard), Swift Fly itself (swift), and fly back into Thor's hand (move), or just Swift Fly and fly back into his hand twice in one round.

AstralFire
2013-11-12, 06:58 PM
I have no experience with the Bloodlines can someone explain them to me?

I actually kinda like the Stormlord, it works pretty well with the feel. And I am sending links of all this to him.

However I am suggesting the Stormlord, though I will see if we could maybe talk the DM into trading the Spontaneous Casting and Turn Undead abilities for the Druidic Avenger mechanics for the rage and such

We do not play with heavy optimization, he just wants a character built off that theme. But I will point out the Crusader and Warblade options as those do seem very cool.

Still curious about the bloodlines though.

Bloodlines have an explanation at the top of the page linked. Basically, every so often (based on the level of bloodline you chose), you have to take a level in bloodline (up to 3.) These levels grant no hit dice, HP, skills or class features, but they enable you to gain the gradual set of features every level you chose when you got minor, intermediate or major bloodline. (I suggest major here.) They also grant you +1 class level to all class-level dependent effects, such as Stunning Fist attempts per day, Initiator Level, Caster Level, etc. for all classes you have, just not to getting new effects.

aeauseth
2013-11-12, 07:00 PM
So you watched the recent Thor movie. So did I, very good! The previous Thor movie inspired me to build Mjolnir Bloodstorm (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Mjolnir_Bloodstorm_-_Thor_(3.5e_Optimized_Character_Build)). He is a Warblade 7 / Crusader 1 / Barbarian 1 / Bloodstorm Blade 4/ Master Thrower 5.

Macabros
2013-11-12, 07:02 PM
So they are empty LA levels then? A different way to add in LA?

AstralFire
2013-11-12, 07:02 PM
So you watched the recent Thor movie. So did I, very good! The previous Thor movie inspired me to build Mjolnir Bloodstorm (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Mjolnir_Bloodstorm_-_Thor_(3.5e_Optimized_Character_Build)). He is a Warblade 7 / Crusader 1 / Barbarian 1 / Bloodstorm Blade 4/ Master Thrower 5.

I feel like any heavy multiclassing suggestion isn't a good idea for a guy who's playing his first game. Which is making me rethink Crusader for that matter. Possibly a Barbarian with a bloodline. Depends on how confident the OP is on him catching the mechanics

So they are empty LA levels then? A different way to add in LA?

A different way to add in LA, with that "+level class feature bonus" thing thrown in.

Macabros
2013-11-12, 07:07 PM
We have an experienced GM who can help him out on things along with the rest of the group we are all various degrees of experienced.

Well I get if it was LA except that it says you gain ALL the traits on the table if you take the major blood line line and take another bloodline level at or before level 12 except it shows all 20 levels worth of bonuses. Now say I took a Human Fighter to level 20 with the Titan bloodline and I took these three required levels.
I would be a Fighter 17/3 Titan Bloodline?
Or am I missing something?

Flickerdart
2013-11-12, 07:10 PM
Actually, I have an idea. Thor is a warrior, not a spellcaster. His spells amount to "lightning" and "more lightning." So use Divine Crusader with the Storm or Weather domains. Wrath is also an okay choice.

Something very simple like Crusader 7/Divine Crusader 10/Bloodstorm Blade 3 (or even simpler, Crusader 10/Divine Crusader 10, or more complex, Paladin 4/Crusader 3/Divine Crusader 2/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10/Divine Crusader 1) gives you a pretty solidly built combatant that can also sling around spells from a small list that's perfect for a new player.

AstralFire
2013-11-12, 07:20 PM
We have an experienced GM who can help him out on things along with the rest of the group we are all various degrees of experienced.

Well I get if it was LA except that it says you gain ALL the traits on the table if you take the major blood line line and take another bloodline level at or before level 12 except it shows all 20 levels worth of bonuses. Now say I took a Human Fighter to level 20 with the Titan bloodline and I took these three required levels.
I would be a Fighter 17/3 Titan Bloodline?
Or am I missing something?

Yes. When everyone else is Char Level 20, so are you. Your ECL is also 20. But your hit dice is merely 17. Another way to put it is that the table could be written like this:

{table=head]ECL | Character Level | Benefit
1 | 1 | +2 on Climb checks
2 | 2 | Power Attack
3 | Bloodline | Strength +1, +1 to all skill rank maximum and abilities that improve with class level
4| 3 | +1 to natural armor
5 | 4 | Storm giant affinity
6 | 5 | Resistance to electricity 5 (Ex)
7 | Bloodline | +2 on jump checks, +1 to all skill rank maximum and abilities that improve with class level
8 | 6 | Cleave
9 | 7 | Constitution +1
10 | 8 | Water breathing (Ex)
11 | 9 | Storm giant affinity +4
12 | 10 | Resistance to electricity 10
13 | 11 | +2 on Swim checks
14 | Bloodline | Call lightning 1/day (Sp), +1 to all skill rank maximum and abilities that improve with class level
15 | 12 | Wisdom +1
16 | 13 | Freedom of movement 1/day (Sp)
17 | 14 | Storm giant affinity +6
18 | 15 | +1 to natural armor
19 | 16 | +2 on Concentration checks
20 | 17 | Immunity to electricity (Ex) [/table]

And still function the same way.

Macabros
2013-11-12, 07:28 PM
Alright, I thought as much but I was making sure. Its rather odd. Of course this could technically be bought off if you played with the buy off rules and took the levels early enough.

Flickerdart
2013-11-12, 07:28 PM
Alright, I thought as much but I was making sure. Its rather odd. Of course this could technically be bought off if you played with the buy off rules and took the levels early enough.
Bloodlines are not LA.

Generally, if you try to combine anything in the UA with anything else from there, you will have a bad time.

Macabros
2013-11-12, 07:30 PM
Its not LA in name for sure, but it is Level Adjustment for the power of the bloodline. So the Reducing Level Adjustment could work in theory.

Flickerdart
2013-11-12, 07:33 PM
Its not LA in name for sure, but it is Level Adjustment for the power of the bloodline. So the Reducing Level Adjustment could work in theory.
Reducing LA exists because, as characters get more powerful, the abilities granted by race grow less and less relevant.

By contrast, bloodlines keep giving you new stuff, and you must take levels in bloodlines to get this new stuff on schedule. It's completely the opposite idea, and allowing people to buy it off misses the entire point of both things.

AstralFire
2013-11-12, 07:34 PM

I'm pretty sure that they specifically avoided that term because Bloodlines are more powerful than your average equivalent amount of LA, and don't need to be bought off. Only full casters/psionicists are hurt more than helped by bloodline levels on the whole, thanks to boosting for the purposes of class-dependent features like initiator level.

Macabros
2013-11-12, 07:36 PM
Hmm you know you are both correct, my mistake.

Scumbaggery
2013-11-12, 08:06 PM
According to Deities and Demigods, he's Ranger 20/Barbarian 20. Fun fact.

That aside, I think some levels in Barbarian are actually a nice addition.

Thor himself is the epitome of manliness. Dude wrestled a worm so large it could wrap around Earth. He's also known for his temper. While he is also a divine figure, Thor doesn't actually care much for magic, but if he wants magic he could always put levels into Cleric under the War, Storms, and Chaos domains.

Macabros
2013-11-12, 08:09 PM
Here is what I got back via his text and emails.

He likes the idea of a caster but yeah he wants to be on the front line laying people out with the hammer. But he doesn't mind having spells and such, especially a few of the domain spells from Storm, since Storm of Vengeance is the 9th level spell for that domain.

So he did say he wanted the rage features but he wants to use Stormlord as his Prc class or one of, given that it fits Thor to a T as I told him.

So how much Barb how much Cleric before he uses Prc?
Should he take the Storm Giant Bloodline and get hit with a LA3? It means he loses level 9 spells and possibly level 8 spells too, yeah he won't be likely doing much more then preparing combat spells but still.

Flickerdart
2013-11-12, 08:13 PM
Here is what I got back via his text and emails.

He likes the idea of a caster but yeah he wants to be on the front line laying people out with the hammer. But he doesn't mind having spells and such, especially a few of the domain spells from Storm, since Storm of Vengeance is the 9th level spell for that domain.

So he did say he wanted the rage features but he wants to use Stormlord as his Prc class or one of, given that it fits Thor to a T as I told him.

So how much Barb how much Cleric before he uses Prc?
Should he take the Storm Giant Bloodline and get hit with a LA3? It means he loses level 9 spells and possibly level 8 spells too, yeah he won't be likely doing much more then preparing combat spells but still.
Barbarian 7/Divine Crusader 3/Stormlord 10 or Stormlord 7/Storm Giant 3. 9th level spells from the Storm domain either way.

Macabros
2013-11-12, 08:32 PM
Sounds like a good build.

Now I gotta ask if I read this right, he would only be able to cast his domain spells?
If he added a level of Cleric would he have access to three domains then?
I think some spells that buffed himself from domains might work well for him.

Flickerdart
2013-11-12, 08:42 PM
Sounds like a good build.

Now I gotta ask if I read this right, he would only be able to cast his domain spells?
If he added a level of Cleric would he have access to three domains then?
I think some spells that buffed himself from domains might work well for him.
Yes, Divine Crusader only casts from one domain. Dipping Cleric won't give him new spells (the spell lists are separate) but there are prestige classes like Contemplative and Sovereign Speaker that give you extra domains. The Prestige Ranger and Prestige Paladin from UA would also greatly increase his available spells.

Macabros
2013-11-12, 08:55 PM
Ok say we could talk the DM into altering the Druidic Avenger to be for a cleric rather then the druid class. How bad would that be? It they traded away their Spontaneous Spellcasting to cast Cure or Inflict spells as well as to remove their Turn Undead ability. Would you consider that a good trade off? or at least as balanced as the Druidic version?

I suggest this because it would be a happy compromise to the ideas so far, a Cleric but gaining Barbarian rage and fast movements and the like. Now it would remove the need for Divine Crusader this is true but a DA 10/Stormlord 7/Bloodline 3 might be good. Or maybe just straight last ten go to Stormlord, which again fits the fluff and idea better then anything else.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-11-12, 09:06 PM
Windstorm is actually a better domain than Storm. Between the significantly better and extremely fitting domain power, the superior array of lightning spells, and overall much better utility, I can't see this character ever regretting making a switch to it.

Qualifying for Divine Crusader via Duskblade 7 will allow him to use Shocking Grasp through his weapon, Quick Cast a Divine Crusader spell 1/day, still gets to cast all his spells in up to medium armor and with a heavy shield. Plus it gets you access utility and buff spells like Resist Energy, See Invisibility, Dimension Hop, and Animalistic Power/Bull's Strength. Don't forget he can use wands of any spells on his class spell list, plus Eternal Wands of any arcane spells in the game.

Please consider my previous advice (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314139#20) for making Mjölnir work like it's supposed to. That allows you to put intelligent item properties on it, such Swift Fly at will which would permit him to fly as long as he can hold onto it.

Macabros
2013-11-12, 09:12 PM
I see that. I was just not sure throwing two different types of casting into the mix would be good. How good is the Duskblade's Spells?
Remember this game is starting at 5th level, so he would need to be able to play somewhat what he wants now or at least soon.

Also it doesn't have the Rage factor that most are suggesting. I only recommend Storm because he has been eyeing the spell Storm of Vengeance which I know is not amazing but it seems cool to him.

ericp65
2013-11-12, 09:18 PM
Not just lightning, but Thor is a weather god (and yes, both Marvel Thor and Viking mythology Thor are gods; they are one and the same). He's incredibly strong, physically, and has a sense of honor and fair play, to a certain extent, and has an affinity for Earth and for the people of Earth. Also, Thor does not wear plate armor. At most, he wears chain...or perhaps chain with a bit of plating.

Mjolnir can also be used to create earthquake-like ground shockwaves as well, at least in the Marvel Universe.

Macabros
2013-11-12, 09:23 PM
I know, I am well aware of the Marvel Thor and I know a decent bit about the Mythological Thor.

But yes I know he wields more then Lightning but this build is for another person who has been eyeing that spell, unless he could get it with a feat or something?
Any Extra spells or something that can get him a spell not on his spell list?

Can someone tell me the primary ability scores for Duskblade (Seems like Int), Divine Crusader and Stormlord?

Scumbaggery
2013-11-12, 09:26 PM
Not just lightning, but Thor is a weather god (and yes, both Marvel Thor and Viking mythology Thor are gods; they are one and the same). He's incredibly strong, physically, and has a sense of honor and fair play, to a certain extent, and has an affinity for Earth and for the people of Earth. Also, Thor does not wear plate armor. At most, he wears chain...or perhaps chain with a bit of plating.

Mjolnir can also be used to create earthquake-like ground shockwaves as well, at least in the Marvel Universe.

Slightly disagree with you here. The Thor in mythology is much more powerful than the Marvel counterpart and, tbh, mythology Thor is kind of a tool.

Mjolnir itself isn't what causes the earthquakes. It's a mixture of its infinite durability and Thor's strength. I agree with you on the light armor though, that's definitely a chain shirt. He likes his muscles to be seen, I guess.

Macabros
2013-11-12, 09:35 PM
Ok so from what I can see he needs good scores in Str, Con, Int, and Cha. With Wis and Dex as less worthy abilities but still need to keep them fairly high so not to have worthless saves mostly to Reflex.

Any idea how to make this guy a little less Mad?
I heard of a Academic Priest feat, it is suppose to do that but I don't know where to find it.

Scumbaggery
2013-11-12, 09:48 PM
Academic Priest is found in Dragonlance: Legends of the Twins

Macabros
2013-11-12, 09:50 PM
Ah ok thanks.

Must ask, if there any feat that allows an Arcane Caster to switch to Charisma?
I thought most where keyed off Charisma but it seems I was wrong. I think this build would be so much better and less mad if I could shrink this down to one or two primary stats and then Con. I don't want this guy having to spread his 32 point buy out that much where all his ability scores end up crap.

angry_bear
2013-11-12, 10:18 PM
Well, if you're going off of the comic book version; he's known for being semi clever, and leading the charge in a fight. I'd probably go with something along the lines of Fighter 2 with the Dungeon Crasher variant, Barbarian 2, and the rest in Cleric. Basically comes down to needing solid wisdom, 18 eventually, and good strength, which can be buffed through cleric magic. It won't be a super OP build or anything, but it'll get you all that you want as far as flavour, and game play goes.

AzureKnight
2013-11-13, 04:47 AM
I'd probably put him as a Crusader, heavy on the Stone Dragon. What to do about Mjolnir is probably going to determine just how the build goes. Is it an item Familiar? Legacy Weapon? Kensai favored weapon?

I would tend to agree there making Mjoiner a weapon of legacy, and see if the dm would be willing to work with you on the powers gained to make the functionality fit the character.

ericp65
2013-11-13, 02:24 PM
I know, I am well aware of the Marvel Thor and I know a decent bit about the Mythological Thor.

But yes I know he wields more then Lightning but this build is for another person who has been eyeing that spell, unless he could get it with a feat or something?
Any Extra spells or something that can get him a spell not on his spell list?

Can someone tell me the primary ability scores for Duskblade (Seems like Int), Divine Crusader and Stormlord?

Cool, just wanted to make sure, so the player doesn't miss out on any of the useful details to pattern the character after the deity.