View Full Version : Return to Castle Ravenloft

Artemis97
2013-11-12, 12:17 PM
Our group of brave adventurers has received a letter pleading for their aid.

Hail to thee of might and valor:

I, a lowly servant of the township of Barovia, send honor to thee. We plead for thy so desperately needed assistance within our community.

The love of my life, Ireena Kolyana, has been cursed by the witches of Lysaga Hill, and even the good people of our town are powerless to free her from this enchantment. She wastes away under the witches' curse and I would have her saved from this menace.

There is much wealth in this community. I offer all that might be had to thee and thy fellows if thou shalt but answer my desperate plea.

Come quickly for her time is at hand! All that I have shall be thine!

Kolyan Indirovich,
Burgomaster of Barovia

The group now travels down the Old Svalich Road to the town of Barovia. Black pools of water stand like dark mirrors about the muddy roadway. A pall of this, cold mist spreads over the ground. Giant tree trunks stand guard on both sides of the road, their branches clawing at the mist. In every direction the fog grows thicker and the forest seems more oppressive.

Gray in the fog, high stone pillars loom up from the impenetrable woods on both sides of the road. Huge iron gates hang from the stonework, dew clinging to their rusting bars. Standing before the pillars are two stone statues of armed guardians with wicked polearms. Their carved heads lie among the weeds at their feet, neatly broken from the stone shoulders.

Shadowcaller
2013-11-12, 06:23 PM
Samiyah (or simply Sami to some) watches the skies wearily on top of her horse Indra. Not a sign of the sun for hours despite her prayers which meant Agnes was testing her. All signs pointed towards it after, the letter, these castless companions, this cold environment.

"I heard it's custom to complain about the weather in these parts when there is nothing else to talk about. I never understood that until just now so let me just say it, the weather is terrible." She comments in a highly accented voice.

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx135/oots12321/Samiyah_zpsb79c8594.png

UncleWolf
2013-11-15, 11:37 AM
Geoffrey walks alongside the horse and Samiyah, frowning as he sets his right hand on the hilt of his bastard sword, strapped to the back of his rather large shield. His armor is red and white, making him stand out quite a bit. "I do not think the weather is what we need to watch out for." He points out, nodding to the two headless statues, making his silver hair wave a bit with the motion. The man pauses for a moment and lets go of his sword to grab the edge of his cloak to wrap it around himself better. "Let's stay vigilant."

The Bushranger
2013-11-15, 06:36 PM
"The storm is dark, and full of terrors," Andromeda agrees, the bardess' cloak already pulled up against the storm. "While it is terrible, the things using the storm for cover to pursue? Those are the true danger." Shaking her head, she looks around warily, white hair glinting in the low light.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Mr. Moon
2013-11-16, 12:33 AM
"It's common for dark deeds and ill intentions to lurk where the Sun cannot illuminate them," agrees Garet. The half-elf paladin peers up at the headless, stone guardians and frowns. "We'd best make haste. For our sake, and the fair damsel's."

Seated atop a heavy white warhorse, Garet sits fine in shining full plate. An orange tabard covers his chest, emblazoned with a golden, stylized sun. The garment is secured at his waist with a blue sash, matching his cloak.

Gnrlshrimp
2013-11-16, 12:54 AM
Walking beside Garet's warhorse, Elanor stares defiantly at the foul weather. She brushes a strand of her fiery red hair out of her eyes and shakes her head at those around her. Her armour is covered with symbols of Pelor, speaking of her devotion to her god.

She keeps one hand on the hilt of her longsword all the same, though.

"This fear and uncertainty is not befitting any of us. We are coming here to aid these people. We are all experienced and capable. Garet and I are holy servants who bring the light with us! I care not for this storm, or the evil creatures it may hide. Let them come, if they are indeed present at all. If we are to aid this community we will be dealing with any foul creatures sooner or later anyway."

Shadowcaller
2013-11-16, 10:21 AM
Elanor certainly wore the devotion to her god on her sleeve. "You forget me Elanor." The sorceress comments with a wry smile as the human mentions holy servants.
Elanor and Garet might recall that Samiyah have argued that Pelor, The Sun and her god, Agnes, are all the same god in different incarnations and manifestations. After all they all represent the sun in some way but came to different people, societies and persons in different guises to enlightened them.

"But do not think darkness is an ally of evil, after all, what creates shadows but the light? There is nothing to fear within them but fear itself. But I don't think a single one of us isn't vigilant in the presence of it, after all the gods always test us. Though we have stayed silent for hours so some conversation is welcome, least we'll all fall off our horse in boredom." She argues while holding a steady hold of Indra, her own warhorse. "So does anyone know anything about this place we're going to? The culture around here fascinates me."

Gnrlshrimp
2013-11-17, 02:42 AM
"Shadows and darkness are two different things, though. Darkness is the absence of light, a shadow is but a pale imitation of true darkness." The cleric glances at the sorceress, then shrugs and focuses on the road once more. This is hardly the time to start debating, however interesting the subject matter may be. "My apologies, Samiyah. I do not mean to make little of your own faith. By holy servants I merely mean that we receive our powers from the divine directly. I am not so fortunate as to be naturally gifted with magic like you."

UncleWolf
2013-11-17, 06:43 PM
"Light? Darkness? Holy and Unholy? There is no good, nor is there evil." Geoffrey murmurs quietly, strangely at odds with the crosses that adorn his armor, cloak, and shield. "There are those who allow themselves restraint and self-made laws in the pursuit of their goals and desires, and those who allow no such thing to keep them from their quests." He explains. "Darkness and Light are merely concepts made to allow ourselves weak comfort when we're on the verge of sleep and our minds force us to ask ourselves Am I a person or a monster?."

"I have no illusions about what I am, but what about you?" He asks aloud before heading on to lead, unconcerned about getting an answer and not really wishing one from anyone.

Shadowcaller
2013-11-18, 08:46 AM
"In a grim mood today are we George?" Samiyah remarks, not looking nearly as glumly as the warrior was right now. "I have a response to that but I think the group might start getting tired of my sermons." She says with a small smile. "I will say this though, we will all be tested and die in time, this is an universal truth. So why not make the most of whatever role we have in life?"

The sorceress then turns to look down at Elanor. "And I took no offense, we have the same kind of clergy where I'm from so I understand the distinction. In fact, I am rather envious of their power to destroy and turn away the Jiangshi." A word Samiyah uses to describe the undead.

Mr. Moon
2013-11-20, 01:33 AM
Garet raises an eyebrow at Geoffrey's outburst. "What an odd fellow," he remarks. He looks down at Elanor, smiling. "You're quite right, though. Little point in moaning over the gloom. I'd be a poor champion of light if I did not try to infuse a little into the situation, now wouldn't I?" Resting one hand on his sadlehorn, the reins loosely held in his bemailed fingers, and the other on his lance, he looks up at the clouded sky.

"As I walked out one morning," he begins to sing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n01T7ejqKWk),
"in the spring time of the year,
I over heard a sailor boy,
likewise a lady fair.

They sang a song together,
made the valleys for to ring,
while the birds in the spray in the meadows gay
proclaimed the lovely spring."

The Bushranger
2013-11-24, 02:44 AM
"What is a man?" Andromeda asked rhetorically in answer to Geoffrey, before looking to the others. "But regardless of whether or not the light and dark are metaphor or real, the simple fact is that dangerous creatures do use shadows and storms to stalk their prey with less chance of detection. Alas, as for our destination, I know very little, beyond the common legends."

Artemis97
2013-12-02, 11:42 PM
As the group nears the old iron gate, it begins to creak and groan. It shakes off the weight of time and the gate slams open with a clang. Birds, settled in nearby trees, take to the sky in a sudden panic at the sound. Their calls cry a desperate warning that is swallowed by the surrounding mist, as are their small dark forms. In the distance a wolf howls a low, long call. The way to Barovia lays open.

UncleWolf
2013-12-07, 07:25 PM
Geoffrey took a moment to stare at the gates, his expression unreadable before reaching over to pull his cloak tighter and setting his hand on the grip of his blade. "There are many paths towards wickedness, surely this is one of them." He says aloud before striding through the gate.

Shadowcaller
2013-12-08, 04:08 PM
"Sounds like you just gained a fan Garet." The sorceress remarks as she hears the wolf howl. "Too bad the birds didn't enjoy your singing as much." If it was wolves they needed help with it was something far less concerning than Samyyah had imagined when she first read that letter.

Then again... it probably wasn't wolves she considers as she looks at their gloomy surroundings. A true test from the gods.