PDA

View Full Version : Help realizing a concept (Druid)

7th son of sons
2013-11-12, 02:07 PM
So, I'm joining in on a relatively high level campaign (lvl 18, yikes), and I need help in designing my character concept.

My Idea is an Aasimarian Druid from the planes of shadow, someone who uses the powers of nature to combat against the powers of Evil and oppression that plague her homeland. With her animal companion, who I'd hoped for a dire wolf, and her skills of buffing, they have swathed through wars in heaven, the feywilds, and on earth. She is someone who makes huge sacrifices for her friends, and who gave up on Material wealth to become closer to the heavens and closer to nature. I'm usually DM, but one of my usual players wanted to run DM for a bit, so I'm stepping in. I don't want to use planar shepherd (because I don't hate my DM), but I'm playing with a few Power Gamers, so any level of power is acceptable.

The only thing I have set in stone is Natural Spells. I would like Lion of Talisid, or Beloved of Valrian integrated into the build,but I could understand dropping one or both.

Starting ability scores are too be bought on a point system, 80 points over all the ability scores.

All books in 3.5 edition are open, but we also use Pathfinder or Dragonlane (rarely), when they fit our character. Any ideas on what kind of Feats, Equipment, Prestiege classes, or otherwise I could use to create my character?

eggynack
2013-11-12, 05:39 PM
So, the most important quality here is goodness, with a buffing subtheme. That seems pretty workable. The first thing you'll want to do is take a bunch of stuff from the BoED, because there's a good amount of powerful stuff, and a powerful amount of good stuff. Lion of talisid is a solid option that is worth taking, and beloved of valarian is very much not that, so you should angle your build towards the former option. Druids have access to a good number of exalted feats, and they're one of the only classes in the game which can take vow of poverty without crumbling under the weight of their own lousiness, so it's an option worth considering. You can even have your animal companion also take vow of poverty, if you take exalted companion (which you will automatically if you go lion of talisid). It's a bit cheesy, but that shouldn't be a problem in a high power game. You can actually do that without taking VoP yourself, and that's probably even better.

As in all cases, the most important thing is the spell list. Leonal's roar seems insanely thematically suited to you, especially if you go lion of talisid. Past that, the BoED options I've taken note of are (greater) luminous armor, hammer of righteousness, path of the exalted, inquisition, valiant steed, constricting chains, cry of ysgard, and rain of roses. For high level sanctified spells, you're going to want some way to mitigate ability drain. For that, the major options I've found are getting restoration somehow (probably a friendly cleric, or maybe an item), sheltered vitality (SpC, 188), a bone ring (MIC, 75), or a talisman of undying fortitude (MIC, 188). At your level, a bone ring is probably the best option, because you're going to want a consistent way to stop ability drain and negative levels anyway.

So, that's the stuff I'd use for good. Buffing is... a bit more intensive. The term has a pretty broad definition, so I could probably just discuss those all day. I can list a few of the better ones/my favorite ones though. Bite of the were x (SpC) is probably the first thing you're going to want to look at, because it's reasonably powerful, and it feels very buffish. Animal growth is an amazing spell, for obvious reasons, so you're going to want some of that. I've already mentioned (greater) luminous armor, but it gets a double mention as a buff spell, because it is that.

After that, a lot of the stuff you'd want is more on the defensive/utility axis. The heart of X line (CM) is fantastic, especially heart of water, and the primal X line (DrM) is decent, with primal instinct as a clear stand out. You should definitely consider extending the primal spells, because they have a 24 hour duration. Enhance wild shape (SpC, 82) can be quite powerful if you're getting a good Ex ability, though at 18th you're mostly going to want to hang out in dire tortoise form (Sand, 151), for its intrinsic sweetness. A final spell worth note on the defensive buffing angle is passage of the shifting sands (DrM, 70), which is like gaseous form, except way cooler.

That's a good start, I think. The parameters here are pretty broad, which means that a discussion of all pertinent factor would ridiculously long. But still, it's a good start.