PDA

View Full Version : Mount for Beguiler Beguiler

Snowbluff
2013-11-12, 03:03 PM
So I have a Dark Beguiler (Shining South) Beguiler 5. He will wear a wizard's hat and use a runestaff (Scorching Ray and Hail of Stone).

I don't want to use my feet. The DM says I can't have a succubus to ride around on. I'm not Human, so getting into Zhentarim Skymage is too tricky. I just want something really boss to walk me around to show my status as a spellcaster diplomat.

Something I could buy, then train would be ideal.

A Tad Insane
2013-11-12, 03:24 PM
Your a beguiler, it should be easy for you to convince some people you're the king of somewhere so they will self you a litter carried by pygmy warforged and you will pay them back eventually

Frosty
2013-11-12, 03:28 PM
Wait til next level, and get Leadership to have someone carry you around? Make sure that the person is not named Ash.

IAmTehDave
2013-11-12, 03:31 PM
Wait til next level, and get Leadership to have someone carry you around? Make sure that the person is not named Ash.

Alternatively: Regardless of his name, convince him his name IS Ash. Then use telepathy to have HIM say anything you would be saying if you were speaking yourself. You, yourself, speak only in nonsense syllables.

Use metamagic or just the bluff skill to make it look like Ash is casting all of your spells. Or, if you'd rather just cast the spells yourself, make it look like Ash is telling you how to attack and such. Then he becomes the main target, and you fly under the radar as a cute little somethingorother that's being controlled by the mean Pokemo....err...

CyberThread
2013-11-12, 03:41 PM
may I suggest this?

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/9/95666/1879714-pokeball.png

gorfnab
2013-11-12, 03:42 PM
Alternatively: Regardless of his name, convince him his name IS Ash. Then use telepathy to have HIM say anything you would be saying if you were speaking yourself. You, yourself, speak only in nonsense syllables.

Use metamagic or just the bluff skill to make it look like Ash is casting all of your spells. Or, if you'd rather just cast the spells yourself, make it look like Ash is telling you how to attack and such. Then he becomes the main target, and you fly under the radar as a cute little somethingorother that's being controlled by the mean Pokemo....err...
1 level of Mindbender is a nice option for Beguiler (class) since it will also offset Advanced Learning by a level netting you better spell choices. Also Beguilers (race) are often used as familiars so having someone to carry you around and pretend to cast (bluff for the cohort, conceal spellcasting skill trick for the Beguiler) would definitely be amusing.

Other ideas:
Magebred Warbeast Riding Dog or Magebred War Mastiff - cost a bit of money but decent mount options

Shadow Mastiff - considering how high your Beguiler's hide check must be combined with Hide in Plain Sight as well...why not have a mount with similar abilities, if both you and your mount can end up with the Darkstalker feat than definitely take advantage of it

ImaDeadMan
2013-11-12, 03:42 PM
So I have a Dark Beguiler (Shining South) Beguiler 5. He will wear a wizard's hat and use a runestaff (Scorching Ray and Hail of Stone).

I don't want to use my feet. The DM says I can't have a succubus to ride around on. I'm not Human, so getting into Zhentarim Skymage is too tricky. I just want something really boss to walk me around to show my status as a spellcaster diplomat.

Something I could buy, then train would be ideal.

I say refluff the Dragon Steed feat in order to get a drakkensteed instead of a dragonnel, but using the stat-block of the dragonnel. It's a really cool creature that shows your character is boss enough to handle a badass dragon. People know that often-times dragons have to be persuaded in order to help someone out so onlookers would see your character as obviously a caster because of the equipment and probably a pretty persuasive or diplomatic person because of the dragon mount. This also works without the feat if you can actually convince a young dragon to be your steed.

Frosty
2013-11-12, 03:49 PM
may I suggest this?

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/9/95666/1879714-pokeball.png
A modified Tenser's Floating Disk?

Kazyan
2013-11-12, 03:57 PM
The DM says I can't have a succubus to ride around on.

Clearly, the answer is to get an erinyes.

ImaDeadMan
2013-11-12, 03:59 PM

I strongly agree with this.

gorfnab
2013-11-12, 04:06 PM
A modified Tenser's Floating Disk?
If the Beguiler weighs less than 20lbs have an Unseen Servant carry them around (Collar of Perpetual Attendance (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c)). If they weigh more than 20lbs have multiple Unseen Servants carry them around using the Servant Horde spell (continuous use item shouldn't be too expensive).

Deadline
2013-11-12, 04:09 PM
Perhaps you should find a way to get another Dark Beguiler as your mount?

Der_DWSage
2013-11-12, 05:20 PM
Alternatively, you could use Mount, Phantom Steed, or Shadow Conjuration:Phantom Steed. Solve all your problems with magic.

Zeb
2013-11-12, 05:24 PM
When I DMed the Beguiler Beguiler just got the dwarf party member to carry him around.

He did end up complaining about the smell alot...

IAmTehDave
2013-11-12, 05:26 PM
Alternatively, you could use Mount, Phantom Steed, or Shadow Conjuration:Phantom Steed. Solve all your problems with magic.

So either burn scrolls or wands via UMD for Mount or Phantom Steed, or pick up Shadow Conjuration at level 11 with the Advanced Learning then.

Nah.

I think the Mindbender 1 to telepathically control a mindslave into pretending to be a caster, and you cheerfully riding his shoulder pretending to be a familiar makes the most sense.

Snowbluff
2013-11-12, 05:32 PM
Your a beguiler, it should be easy for you to convince some people you're the king of somewhere so they will self you a litter carried by pygmy warforged and you will pay them back eventually
Unfortunately, Warforged aren't around right now.

I am avoiding vanilla leadership. It's leadership. :smalltongue:

1 level of Mindbender is a nice option for Beguiler (class) since it will also offset Advanced Learning by a level netting you better spell choices. Also Beguilers (race) are often used as familiars so having someone to carry you around and pretend to cast (bluff for the cohort, conceal spellcasting skill trick for the Beguiler) would definitely be amusing.

Other ideas:
Magebred Warbeast Riding Dog or Magebred War Mastiff - cost a bit of money but decent mount options

Shadow Mastiff - considering how high your Beguiler's hide check must be combined with Hide in Plain Sight as well...why not have a mount with similar abilities, if both you and your mount can end up with the Darkstalker feat than definitely take advantage of it These are pretty good. I'll see what I can do. Buying a cool mount would be ideal.

If the Beguiler weighs less than 20lbs have an Unseen Servant carry them around (Collar of Perpetual Attendance (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c)). If they weigh more than 20lbs have multiple Unseen Servants carry them around using the Servant Horde spell (continuous use item shouldn't be too expensive).

I will have a Collar of Perpetual Attendance. However, the first rule of magical boss-ness is to never use magic to help yourself. You have underlings for that. :smalltongue:

YES!!! HAHAHAHA!

(Un)Inspired
2013-11-12, 06:37 PM
I think you should ride in a chariot pulled by trolls. With their regeneration they'll never slow down on you and you can mind bend them into submission if necessary.

Rolling into town in a cart pulled by trolls is pretty boss

gooddragon1
2013-11-12, 06:43 PM
It would probably detract from your build but 1 level in elocator (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/elocater.htm) could allow you to avoid using your feet.

nedz
2013-11-12, 06:47 PM
So either burn scrolls or wands via UMD for Mount or Phantom Steed, or pick up Shadow Conjuration at level 11 with the Advanced Learning then.

Nah.

I think the Mindbender 1 to telepathically control a mindslave into pretending to be a caster, and you cheerfully riding his shoulder pretending to be a familiar makes the most sense.

You can grab Shadow Conjuration at level 8 provided you dip a level of some full casting PrC before Beguiler 7; e.g. Beguiler 6 / Mindbender 1 / Beguiler +1

Der_DWSage
2013-11-12, 09:53 PM

Nah.

I could see not wanting to burn scrolls or wands, but not wanting Shadow Conjuration? That provides a load more flexibility to any Beguiler, mate. As do its advanced cousins.

Snowbluff
2013-11-13, 12:32 AM
I think you should ride in a chariot pulled by trolls. With their regeneration they'll never slow down on you and you can mind bend them into submission if necessary.

Rolling into town in a cart pulled by trolls is pretty boss
I appreciate this. >:)

You can grab Shadow Conjuration at level 8 provided you dip a level of some full casting PrC before Beguiler 7; e.g. Beguiler 6 / Mindbender 1 / Beguiler +1

Mhm. I've got Versatile Spellcaster, so the highest level I can cast is higher than normal, too.

Axinian
2013-11-13, 01:22 AM
There's got to be SOME way for you to get a mount that is also a beguiler in some fashion...

Leadership I guess, though that's already been shot down.

Der_DWSage
2013-11-13, 02:08 AM
Awaken a Bear, help him become a Beguiler, and call him Sir Bearington? (http://dicemonkey.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/E665n.jpg)

Spore
2013-11-13, 09:14 AM
Awaken a Bear, help him become a Beguiler, and call him Sir Bearington? (http://dicemonkey.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/E665n.jpg)

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/-chinese-zoo-tries-passing-dog-off-as-lion--180952559.html

There's got to be SOME way for you to get a mount that is also a beguiler in some fashion...

Be a sneaky DM. Buy a "horse" that is secretly another beguiler in disguise. Roll Perception for them. Try to assassinate the Beguiler in his sleep.

Laugh as he says: "But Jolly Jumper, I thought you were my trusty steed!"

Snowbluff
2013-11-13, 12:36 PM
Purchased mounts are best, ebcause it takes less DM adjudication. However, I will speak to my DM on these matters.

RFLS
2013-11-13, 12:40 PM
The Wild Cohort feat might do the trick. I'm not sure it's available to you, as the only place I've seen it is as an online enhancement, and some DMs aren't fond of those.

Snowbluff
2013-11-13, 01:58 PM
The Wild Cohort feat might do the trick. I'm not sure it's available to you, as the only place I've seen it is as an online enhancement, and some DMs aren't fond of those.

Well, I am looking at my character sheet, and I've been thinking. Wild Cohort might work, but I could do some tweaking to allow Skymage Entry for a much stronger mount of my choosing...