PDA

View Full Version : Kobold DFA armor suggestions

kpumphre
2013-11-12, 03:14 PM
I have only 6 strength so weight matters. I need some suggestions for armor. 3rd level currently with 1078 gold 5 silver

15 lbs is light
30 medium
45 heavy

Big Fau
2013-11-12, 03:18 PM
If you have Sleight Build from the RotD web expansion your equipment can weigh considerably less (although the price gets up there).

Diarmuid
2013-11-12, 03:18 PM
Mithril Chain shirt is likely your best bet but it's just outside your price range at 1100.

Do note, as a kobold your armor is small and weighs half as much as normal.

Deophaun
2013-11-12, 03:22 PM
Small leafweave studded leather weighs 7.5 lbs and is within your price range (Races of the Wild). You will, at some point want to get the Easy Travel enhancement for your armor.

kpumphre
2013-11-12, 03:23 PM
If you have Sleight Build from the RotD web expansion your equipment can weigh considerably less (although the price gets up there).

Though he said I do not qualify for tiny armor. I do have sleight build so I spend most of my time hiding in the same square as our fighter, but I'm paranoid and thus want some armor.

Currently I'm 10+2Na+4 dex+ 1 size= 17

Deophaun
2013-11-12, 03:25 PM
Though he said I do not qualify for tiny. I do have sleight build so I spend most of my time hiding in the same square as our fighter
That's also only for weapons, and as a DFA, you don't really have a use for those (except for daggers with warning/defending/eager enhancements and the like)

kpumphre
2013-11-12, 03:26 PM
That's also only for weapons, and as a DFA, you don't really have a use for those (except for daggers with warning/defending/eager enhancements and the like)

Yep that is what he said.

Deophaun
2013-11-12, 03:33 PM
You can also get a darkwood githcraft buckler. No ACF or armor check penalty, half weight, 640 gold.

Naomi Li
2013-11-12, 03:36 PM
On the off chance you're playing pathfinder, or allow pathfinder materials...

Studded darkleaf cloth - AC 3, Max dex 7, ACP 0, ASFC 5% - 5 lbs, 775 gp - Hardness 10, HP 7/7
Padded darkleaf cloth - AC 1, Max dex 10, ACP 0, ASFC 5% - 2.5 lbs, 755 gp - Hardness 10, HP 2/2

A heavy darkwood shield might be worth considering, too.
Heavy darkwood shield - AC 2, Max dex infinite, ACP 0, ASFC 15% - 2.5 lbs, 207 gp - Hardness 5, HP 7/7

Note: All of the above are masterwork.

TripleD
2013-11-12, 03:43 PM
Weird, I'm actually preparing for a campaign with the exact same problem, a level three kobold with 6 strength (although I'm gunning for Combat Trapsmith eventually).

I've started out with a Mithril Chain Shirt and a Darkwood Greatspear. Total weight is 8.5lbs.

To get around the problem of equipment I'm planning to invest in a Handy Haversack once I have the money. I also gave up 1hp to take Rite of the Dragon which gives me "Unseen Servant" as a spell-like ability. Just have that guy carry all my stuff while we're in a dungeon.

kpumphre
2013-11-13, 01:02 PM
Weird, I'm actually preparing for a campaign with the exact same problem, a level three kobold with 6 strength (although I'm gunning for Combat Trapsmith eventually).

I've started out with a Mithril Chain Shirt and a Darkwood Greatspear. Total weight is 8.5lbs.

To get around the problem of equipment I'm planning to invest in a Handy Haversack once I have the money. I also gave up 1hp to take Rite of the Dragon which gives me "Unseen Servant" as a spell-like ability. Just have that guy carry all my stuff while we're in a dungeon.

Here are some more I found Reduce weight by half for small size

Chitin Armor (20 GP, Races of Eberron/Secrets of Xen'drik). Same armor bonus as leather, but only weighs 10 lbs. Do make sure you've got the right sourcebook, though... there are about a half-dozen different kinds of "chitin" armor.

Chitine Web (75 GP, FR Underdark). Armor bonus is +3, so about the same as studded leather, and only weighs 10 lbs. Unfortunately, you need a chitine to drool on it every month or so, or it starts to disintegrate. This only costs 5 GP, but you have to *find* a willing chitine first. Another option: a single dose of Unguent of Timelessness (about 18.75 GP) added to a fresh set of armor will make it last 30 years before it deteriorates.

Leafweave Leather (750 GP, Races of the Wild). Better stats than leather, and only weighs 9 lbs.

Nightscale (1000 GP, FR Underdark). Made out of snakeskin. Really expensive, but same armor bonus as leather, and only weighs 3 lbs. Dex bonus is insanely high, though.

Spidersilk (750 GP, FR Underdark). Another rather pricey alternative to studded leather, but this one only weighs 5 lbs. Technically, this is an exotic armor, which requires a feat to wear without penalty, but the ACP is -1, and if you pay an extra +150 GP for masterwork, the ACP is reduced to zero, and you can then were it without the feat and the nonproficiency penalty is zero.

Shadow Silk (1500/1750/2500 GP, Tome of Magic). Three versions: padded, leather, and hide. In addition to a +2 untyped bonus on Hide/Move Silently, reduces weight by 75%, so your padded weighs 2.5 lbs, leather is 4 lbs, and hide is only 5.5 lbs. Not exactly cheap, though.