PDA

View Full Version : [3.0/3.5] Gestalt Duskblade/ Spellthief help, opinions, critics

Isheian
2013-11-12, 04:22 PM
So. Hello y'all, this is something that I've been want to try for quite a bit now. I've found a dm willing to let me play it and I want y'alls opinion and suggestions on race, feats, spell choice, etc. Be gentle, it's my first time here. Chuckle.

Parameters: most books allowed. Only +1 or 0 level adjusted races allowed. No buy off. 3rd level starting, god only knows what the cap will be. It will be a gestalt Duskblade/ Spellthief. Preferably running that single class with goal of PrC Daggerspell Mage (DM has already ok'd kukris in place of daggers). If y'all can show how a dip or two can boost it to stupidity, then it's debatable. This is a high power campaign. The odds of any stat being below 15 before racial mods is minimal.

Concept and End goal: A supremely flexible TWF melee combatant that's even better at destroying enemy spellcasters. It can either deal stupid amounts of damage by channeling spells and sneak attack damage with a full attack, or verses spellcasters channeling spells and foregoing sneak attack dice to pull their spells, removing their options, and further powering my own spells.

Feats: I'm planning on taking two flaws, one gives a -4 to ranged combat, the other a -1 to ac. So without a racial bonus feat I'll be starting (@ 3rd lvl) with four feats. Weapon finesse, ambidexterity (Dms ruling: reduces TWF penalties to 0 with other feats), TWF, Improved TWF, weapon focus kukri, Improved crit (dms ruling: stacks with keen), power attack, versatile spell caster, poison spell, arcane strike, master of poison. All on the list, better options if you know it and it's in a book would be great. When I should take them is also a great thing to throw out there. Need to get to 0 penalties for TWF, and then enhance damage potential out the assterisk.

Races: Was looking at a modded catfolk. Dms mod: as per book but add -1 int and -2 wis. Was thinking of applying the dark template over that. Got a better idea? Toss it out there. No homebrew.

Equipment suggestions? I'm planning on a keen, magebane, bloodstone, spell storing, permanent wraith strike( if allowed), ringweapon (ringsword ability, can put a ring on the weapon and gain benefits as if the ring was worn if allowed), with wand chamber eventually. Temporal acceleration smugglers boots with a portable hole in each heels secret compartment.

I've read dictum mortums duskblade handbook, and fax celestias spellthief handbook. And Old lace and arsenic poison handbook.

Questions, comments, concerns? And thanks in advance for any and all help.

Snowbluff
2013-11-12, 07:40 PM
If you are stacking Keen+ Imp Crit, you want telling blow to trigger Sneak Attack, and therefore spell stealing.

You also want Craven, and Staggering Strike.

If you take master spellthief, find a spell with uncapped effects.

Get weapon crystals to get around sneak attack immunity.

At lower levels, TWF will not have much effect. Focus on your other abilities until level 13.

Isheian
2013-11-14, 05:04 AM
Good point on TWF, hadn't thought about that. Does sneak attack not trigger on a crit normally? Between that and wracking touch there should be no reason to not get sneak attack and thus spell stealing just about every attack.

They have crystals that imitate grave and golem strike?! Sweet! Staggering strike looks nice but what's the hype on craven? It's just not clicking. Thanks for reply though!

Snowbluff
2013-11-14, 07:41 AM
Does sneak attack not trigger on a crit normally? [quote] Nope. The feat might be worth it.
[QUOTE]Between that and wracking touch there should be no reason to not get sneak attack and thus spell stealing just about every attack.
This is a good option. I wonder if you can deal double sneak attack damage with this and Telling Blow. o.0

Staggering strike looks nice but what's the hype on craven?

It's damage per level while sneak attacking. At level 10, this is 10 damage, per sneak attack hit. You are using TWF, so damage per hit bonuses are something you should have. It says "When making a sneak attack," so ask your DM is Telling Blow and Wracking Touch trigger it. It's not damage dice, so it's multiplied by criticals.

Isheian
2013-11-14, 05:24 PM
Ok so race looks like this thus far:
Dark Catfolk +1 LA
+4 dex
+2 cha
-1 int
-2 wis

50ft base speed
Superior low light vision
60ft dark vision
Hide in plain sight
Cold resistance 10
+1 Nat armor
Extraplanar subtype
+8 hide and move silently
+2 listen

Feats
Bonus 1:Craven
Bonus 2:Power Attack
1: Telling Blow
2: Improved Crit
3: TWF
4: WF- Kukri
5: ITWF
6: Ambidexterity
7: Versatile Spellcaster

Not 100% on the feats...

Duskblade spell progression as per Dictum Mortums hand book
Spell thief spell progression as per Fax Celstias handbook

Would master spell thief be that useful in a gestalt? Also combat reflexes?

Isheian
2013-11-16, 05:28 PM
So is it just so bad an idea no one wants to touch it? What's the catch here folks?