PDA

View Full Version : I need help with my SPELLing...

Xaotiq1
2013-11-12, 04:25 PM
So, I had an odd thought as I was paging through my AD&D 2nd edition books. In Tome of Magic (AD&D2nd) and Spells and Magic, they introduce new kinds of magic schools. Schools of Effect and Schools of Thaumaturgy.

Schools of effect as presented dealt with the elemental planes (air, earth, fire, water), Dimensions and space (Enlarge Person, Dimension Door, Rope Trick, etc.), Force (Launch Bolt, the Bigby's hand spells), Mentalism (same as enchantment, really), and Shadow (mostly an Illusion +Necromancy school.

Schools of Thaumaturgy are set along the lines of how they are cast: Alchemy (potions and other fantasy chemistry), Artifice (Spells cast through or on objects; or spells that create items), Geometry (spells dealing with marks and runes), Song (I think we all know what goes here, yes?), and Wild Magic (unpredictable spells).

My goal is to take all of the currently published spells in Core, the Completes, and the Spell Compendium and organize them under these guidelines. As this will be quite a large undertaking, I am seeking assistance from the boards! In the next day or so, I plan on posting what I have. In the meantime or even before, if you all have any input, please feel free to contribute! Thank you in advance for all assistance and constructive commentary!

Devronq
2013-11-12, 04:40 PM
Sorry I'm not exactly clear what purpose this would serve?

Xaotiq1
2013-11-12, 04:59 PM
Sorry I'm not exactly clear what purpose this would serve?

No specific purpose, really, just a different way to organize spells. Maybe a new DM has a themed caster in mind and not access to the listed materials? Maybe a player wants an alternate spell list as they see their wizard as more of a scientist-type that throws potions around? Myhaps a DM has a more primitive setting in mind where effect is more important than philosophy? The applications are abundant, Devrong. :biggrin:

ddude987
2013-11-12, 05:21 PM
No specific purpose, really, just a different way to organize spells. Maybe a new DM has a themed caster in mind and not access to the listed materials? Maybe a player wants an alternate spell list as they see their wizard as more of a scientist-type that throws potions around? Myhaps a DM has a more primitive setting in mind where effect is more important than philosophy? The applications are abundant, Devrong. :biggrin:

Seems like a cool idea, I'd have more comments if there were a few examples of reworked spells. Also PF made a scientist-type wizard that throws potions class called Alchemist. I would definitely post your full rework on the homebrew boards though.

Devronq
2013-11-12, 10:13 PM

Ah OK makes sense I've though about organizing spells before into like these are buffs these are blasting these are control etc for ease of choosing what I need in situations. I don't have any advise to give really but it seems like a nice idea