PDA

View Full Version : Bioshock Infinite: Biurial at Sea

HandofShadows
2013-11-12, 06:34 PM
Yep, the DLC is out and for the most part I enjoyed it. There is a twist at the end (Bioshock games tend to have those :) ) that I didn't see. You might. :smallbiggrin: I played the game for a bit over three hours and didn;t see everything. Don't know how people get though it ion 1 and half hours. :smallconfused: So what do you folks have to say?

huttj509
2013-11-12, 09:37 PM
Yep, the DLC is out and for the most part I enjoyed it. There is a twist at the end (Bioshock games tend to have those :) ) that I didn't see. You might. :smallbiggrin: I played the game for a bit over three hours and didn;t see everything. Don't know how people get though it ion 1 and half hours. :smallconfused: So what do you folks have to say?

I'm about 4 hours in and closing the vents (yay nonspoilery indicator of my progress!).

I'm loving it, the atmosphere, etc.

Only thing I ran into, is I'm not finding myself able to re-pick up old guns that enemies drop. Am I missing something obvious that they changed from BI (holdsing only 2 guns at once), or is it a bug?

ChaosArchon
2013-11-12, 10:05 PM
Was I the only one annoyed that they used the same visual for vigors as the "EVE bottles" for this DLC, not even bothering to bring back the syringes of EVE, or that they named the "plasmids" after the vigors from Infinite rather than the actual plasmids from BS1 & 2? Granted I haven't finished the DLC yet... but its minor things like that which annoyed me, also the thing about being able the drink EVE, which was never alluded to in either BS1 or 2, annoyed me too. I felt like they were just being lazy and didn't feel like sticking to the cannon presented in the Rapture Bioshocks and just made basically a Rapture with BSI mechanics... and I know you could say its an alternate reality Rapture, but that would feel like a cop out to me.

/rantfinished

Callos_DeTerran
2013-11-13, 12:21 AM
Was I the only one annoyed that they used the same visual for vigors as the "EVE bottles" for this DLC, not even bothering to bring back the syringes of EVE, or that they named the "plasmids" after the vigors from Infinite rather than the actual plasmids from BS1 & 2? Granted I haven't finished the DLC yet... but its minor things like that which annoyed me, also the thing about being able the drink EVE, which was never alluded to in either BS1 or 2, annoyed me too. I felt like they were just being lazy and didn't feel like sticking to the cannon presented in the Rapture Bioshocks and just made basically a Rapture with BSI mechanics... and I know you could say its an alternate reality Rapture, but that would feel like a cop out to me.

/rantfinished

Kinda sorta explained since this is just on the verge of Rapture's Descent into utter madness and you find an audio diary from Suchong where-in he realizes a man named 'Fink' is spying on him and stealing the idea for Plasmids...then Suchong steals one of Fink's ideas to make plasmids digestible (and presumably Eve) but this recording seems recent so they might not be in enough supply that they would have survived the splicers going frakkin bonkers until they had to go back to the needles.

Scowling Dragon
2013-11-13, 12:24 AM
AKA "Look, making syringes would take too much resources OK? Here is a quick explanation that makes sense unless you think about it too much".

ChaosArchon
2013-11-13, 12:49 AM
AKA "Look, making syringes would take too much resources OK? Here is a quick explanation that makes sense unless you think about it too much".

Thats essentially what I figured happened -.-

Scowling Dragon
2013-11-13, 12:56 AM
The ending twist ALSO made me IMMENSELY happy:

"Look, we have no idea how this alternate reality **** works at all, it makes no sense, it just works however we want it too at the time. Its not clever, and doesn't require much effort. We are hacks. ".

Because people defended Infinite's BS physics and ending, and THIS ending creates a ton of plot holes and gaps and goofs and inconsistencies that shows just how much blabbity blabby "Speak in lots of words that don't mean much" and "Use lots of lazy ways too get around making a set of rules for this universe that are clever and complex" wen't into it.

It retroactively destroys any previous theories, and shows just how little thought the creators put into the story.

Tavar
2013-11-13, 01:16 AM
As someone who's unlikely to get the DLC for some time, care to explain the plotholes?

Scowling Dragon
2013-11-13, 01:31 AM
OK then spoilas

The DLC is a sequel too Infinite.

YES, a SEQUEL. So that sacrifice at the end of Infinite? Apparently the only thing it ended up doing was creating a universe where Booker never sold Elizabeth. Thats it.

It didn't even destroy the universe that the game took place in.

Or Super omega Elizabeth exists without any logical reason too exist because her finger would be in another universe.....You know.....the universes that would be destroyed......

So yeah. The plot collapses in on itself with any modicum of thought.

Tavar
2013-11-13, 01:42 AM
Oh, right, I remember this.

Yeah, if you start from the assumption that nothing is going to make sense and that the universes are playing by our laws of physics, nothing makes sense. Why is this still news to you?

Callos_DeTerran
2013-11-13, 01:49 AM
OK then spoilas

YES, a SEQUEL. So that sacrifice at the end of Infinite? Apparently the only thing it ended up doing was creating a universe where Booker never sold Elizabeth. Thats it.

Or Super omega Elizabeth exists without any logical reason too exist because her finger would be in another universe.....You know.....the universes that would be destroyed......

Also, where was it said this is a sequel to Infinite? I think I missed that part...

Also, too soon to say if it just creates plot holes or not considering this is PART ONE of it, as in there is another part to it (at least) that hasn't been seen yet.

Landis963
2013-11-13, 01:55 AM
Also, where was it said this is a sequel to Infinite? I think I missed that part...

Also, too soon to say if it just creates plot holes or not considering this is PART ONE of it, as in there is another part to it (at least) that hasn't been seen yet.

Its sequelhood to Infinite was established roundabout the time that Elizabeth started showing off her ultimate cosmic power. Power she would not have if the alt-universe stuff worked in a predictable way (i.e. if the fans had correctly worked it out).

Tavar
2013-11-13, 02:22 AM
Its sequelhood to Infinite was established roundabout the time that Elizabeth started showing off her ultimate cosmic power. Power she would not have if the alt-universe stuff worked in a predictable way (i.e. if the fans had correctly worked it out).

Fans working something out is at best tangentially related to it being predictable, especially given that we don't know all that much about how exactly her powers work(after all, that finger presumably isn't still living). It's quite possible that the loss of a finger gave her access to the powers, but once given they are not taken away.

Moreover, it technically doesn't have to be a sequel, given that we saw mutliple Alt-Bookers/Elizabeths before. Operating at the same time is a possibility.

Of course, since I have not seen the DLC in full, perhaps it is established that it is the Main Game Elizabeth, post game, which might raise questions. But I would not say it makes it utterly nonsensical, unless you start from the aforementioned position that nothing can make sense unless it runs under one specific understanding of the laws of physics at this moment. In which case I'm not sure how you like this series, or most video-games/fiction in general.

huttj509
2013-11-13, 02:58 AM
So yeah, holding E now gives you a weapons wheel, like holding Q gives you a plasmids wheel. That's changed from base BS:I.

How the heck did I miss 6 of the 17 voxophones? I thought I was being thorough.

HandofShadows
2013-11-13, 07:17 AM
So yeah, holding E now gives you a weapons wheel, like holding Q gives you a plasmids wheel. That's changed from base BS:I.

How the heck did I miss 6 of the 17 voxophones? I thought I was being thorough.

I wish they had explained about how to bring up the weapons wheel a little better. Took me 15 min to figure it out. :smallyuk:

The Audio Logs are well hidden and in side area's. (A Lot more stuff hidden in out of the way places in BaS. Sometimes you have to look up)

HandofShadows
2013-11-13, 07:22 AM
OK then spoilas

There is another much easier explanation as to why there is a Comstock still alive that I have seen. The baptism erased realities and everything in them. But Comstock was not in his reality, so he could not be errased. So no plot hole or plot collapse. Sorry.

HandofShadows
2013-11-13, 07:25 AM

It was stated some time back that it was the same Elizabeth in Bioshock Infinite and Burial at Sea. And if you remember the end of BSI you never see "our" Elizabeth vanish. The screen just went black. So it's a no go "sweetie".

Tavar
2013-11-13, 10:21 AM
I will say it's nice to have confirmation on one of my theories(Elizabeth surviving).

Landis963
2013-11-13, 10:28 AM
It was stated some time back that it was the same Elizabeth in Bioshock Infinite and Burial at Sea. And if you remember the end of BSI you never see "our" Elizabeth vanish. The screen just went black. So it's a no go "sweetie".

You try to make a Dr. Who reference, and all they do is mock you...Scowling Dragon's point is that since the events leading up to Elizabeth's ultimate cosmic power were erased, there's no explanation as to how she's still around.

Tavar
2013-11-13, 10:31 AM
You try to make a Dr. Who reference, and all they do is mock you...Scowling Dragon's point is that since the events leading up to Elizabeth's ultimate cosmic power were erased, there's no explanation as to how she's still around.
Perhaps because she had ultimate cosmic power? This isn't that hard unless you start from the assumption that it's not going to make sense.

Giggling Ghast
2013-11-13, 12:45 PM
I'm not commenting on the plot yet, as I've yet to finish the DLC.

Kinda sorta explained since this is just on the verge of Rapture's Descent into utter madness and you find an audio diary from Suchong where-in he realizes a man named 'Fink' is spying on him and stealing the idea for Plasmids...then Suchong steals one of Fink's ideas to make plasmids digestible (and presumably Eve) but this recording seems recent so they might not be in enough supply that they would have survived the splicers going frakkin bonkers until they had to go back to the needles.

Adding to that, I would also note that this may be an alternate version of Rapture as opposed to the city we saw in the original Bioshock. There do seem to be a few minor changes, and this alternate Rapture obviously incorporated Fink's improvements to the plasmids.

Scowling Dragon
2013-11-13, 01:53 PM
Perhaps because she had ultimate cosmic power? This isn't that hard unless you start from the assumption that it's not going to make sense.

Her ultimate cosmic power was cause she had a finger in another world.

Worlds have been destroyed.

Tavar
2013-11-13, 03:10 PM
Her ultimate cosmic power was cause she had a finger in another world.

Worlds have been destroyed.

Can you please read my posts? I already covered this. The situation gave her the power. But we don't know if the finger had to persist. In fact, it's persistance isn't likely, given that the finger wouldn't exactly last a long time seperate from her body.

Additionally, if what you needed was a body part in another world then Booker would be similalry empowered due to skin, hair, and blood.

HandofShadows
2013-11-13, 03:14 PM
Adding to that, I would also note that this may be an alternate version of Rapture as opposed to the city we saw in the original Bioshock. There do seem to be a few minor changes, and this alternate Rapture obviously incorporated Fink's improvements to the plasmids.

Well, how about this theory I saw. The improved drinkable plasmids were brand new when Fontaine was taken down and they were only avaliable at his department store when it was sunk. Suchong either didn't get paid enough to tell Ryan how to make the drinkable plasmids (He ws cheap) or Delta killed him before he could tell him. Or (my idea) with the city in chaos and war Ryan/Atlas didn't have the resources to change over production as all resources would have been focused on creating new and better combat plamids. Not making them drinkable. (I assume that the production site for the new drinkable plasmids was destroyed in taking down Fontaine.) And this is not an alternate Rapture. This is Rapture Prime ( http://www.computerandvideogames.com/432380/interviews/return-to-rapture-ken-levine-on-bioshock-infinite-burial-at-sea/ )