PDA

View Full Version : Durkon's Bane: Wood weapons/armor [3.5 weapon/armor materials, PEACH]

qwertyu63
2013-11-12, 08:53 PM
Wood:
This special material is not well suited to making weapons or armor, but it can do in a pinch. More nature-focused groups tend to use this as opposed to metal due to their standards or because they are forbidden to use metal.

Any weapon, armor or tool (things like crowbars and hammers) made of metal can be made of wood instead. Weapons and armor so converted have half as many HP. Weapons made in this fashion deal 1 less damage per attack, while armor made in this fashion has its armor check penalty increased by 1 point. Tools made of wood simply have their hitpoints cut.

Because wood armor isn't made of metal, druids can wear it without penalty.

Wood weapons, armor and tools are actually cheaper than their metal counterparts, as seen on the table.

Vitawood:
This is special wood grown on positive-dominant planes. Not all wood grown there takes on this special quality, as it requires special care. Any weapon, armor or tool made of wood (including those converted to wood via the Wood special material) can be made of vitawood. Any weapon, armor or tool made of vitawood is considered a masterwork item. If an item made of vitawood is damaged, the item naturally regains its hitpoints at a rate of 1 per round. If the item is destroyed, it will still regain its hitpoints if reassembled. Weapons made of vitawood deals an extra 4 positive energy damage to creatures damaged by positive energy.

Because vitawood armor isn't made of metal, druids can wear it without penalty.

Vitawood weapons and armor are more expensive than their wood counterparts, as seen on the table.

{table=head]Price|Wood|Vitawood
Ammunition:|-3 sp/10 units|---
Light Armor:|-10 gp|+250 gp
Medium Armor:|-15 gp|+300 gp
Heavy Armor:|-40 gp|+400 gp
Light Weapon:|-2 gp|+350 gp
Weapon:|-7 gp|+450 gp
Shield:|---|+200 gp
Tools:|-2 sp/pound|+300+10 gp/pound
[/table]

Carl
2013-11-12, 11:05 PM
It's interesting but i'd point out that IRL has shown that even without metal some truly dangerous weapons can be made, see the Aztecs. The simple addition of stone blades created some fabulously sharp items.

Basically i like the rules overall but i'd be shocked if many of these societies didn't progress to stone bladed or stone headed weapons.

qwertyu63
2013-11-13, 07:20 AM
It's interesting but i'd point out that IRL has shown that even without metal some truly dangerous weapons can be made, see the Aztecs. The simple addition of stone blades created some fabulously sharp items.

Basically i like the rules overall but i'd be shocked if many of these societies didn't progress to stone bladed or stone headed weapons.

And perhaps they would, but that is for another piece of homebrew. Anyway, thank you. As you might have been able to tell if you looked in my sig, these rules are actually written to take place on the plane of positive energy. Sadly, they don't have even stone there, but they can grow trees.

Jormengand
2013-11-14, 02:44 PM
while weapons made in this fashion have their armor check penalty increased by 1 point.

You mean armour.

Otherwise, pretty good. Nothing much I can say about this, but well done!

qwertyu63
2013-11-14, 05:16 PM
You mean armour.

Otherwise, pretty good. Nothing much I can say about this, but well done!

Typos everybody. Thank you, person who spells "armor" like a british person.

Eladrinblade
2013-11-16, 11:05 AM
For inferior materials, I think it's best to reduce the damage die and critical threats by one step than it is to impose a penalty. Look at the club for instance; no penalty to attack (it's basically a wood heavy mace, though it has a range increment for some reason). Also, slashing and piercing weapons aren't realistic with wood (except spears maybe), because wood just doesn't hold an edge or a point very well. However, fire hardening is a thing, though I don't know much about it.

In addition, I would have wood weapons break completely on a roll of 1, and wood armors shatter if the wearer is hit with a successful critical hit. Not the best abstraction ever, but wood really does suck compared to steel.

You know of the Ironwood spell, right?

You know of wildwood from races of the wild, right?

~Corvus~
2013-11-16, 02:42 PM
Regarding the OP, I think that the prices are a little low. How are you getting those growers to make this stuff available at such a low price? :smalltongue:

True! Obisidian scalpels are a real thing that surgeons use these days (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8415970), specifically because they can actually be sharp enough to PART molecular bonds (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1273673/) instead of smash/tear them. Thing is, they're fragile as all heck and brittle to boot.

~Corvus~
2013-11-16, 02:44 PM
For inferior materials, I think it's best to reduce the damage die and critical threats by one step than it is to impose a penalty. Look at the club for instance; no penalty to attack (it's basically a wood heavy mace, though it has a range increment for some reason). Also, slashing and piercing weapons aren't realistic with wood (except spears maybe), because wood just doesn't hold an edge or a point very well. However, fire hardening is a thing, though I don't know much about it.

In addition, I would have wood weapons break completely on a roll of 1, and wood armors shatter if the wearer is hit with a successful critical hit. Not the best abstraction ever, but wood really does suck compared to steel.

Very much agreed. There's a reason steel is preferred XD

Fates
2013-11-16, 02:48 PM

IIRC, it's only you lot who spell it differently (assuming you're American?). I may be wrong, though.

~Corvus~
2013-11-16, 02:59 PM

Hey man, British spelling adds a good amount of flavour to our boards. I'd say its better to honour his spelling instead of starting rumours about his true origin. He may take offense to that. I find British spelling humourous and fulfiling, especially since I'm a theatre person. Finally, there's not really a sizeable difference in comprehension of the content with the meagre differences in spelling, is there? Keep it savoury, sir.

Rebonack
2013-11-16, 04:23 PM
If you wanted to use something like the Aztec obsidian blades wedged into a club weapon I would just use the stats for a Longsword and make its damage reduce by one die size every time it hits the foe (higher than touch AC) but doesn't deal damage (lower than AC). On a natural 1 you bust too many blades for it to be a useful weapon.

That would probably be a decent rule for wood/stone weapons in general, really. Aside from a fire-hardened wood spear or clubs or mallets or what have you pure wood weapons haven't ever really been a thing. Usually they'll have at least a stone edge if nothing else.

For whatever weird reason wooden shields and metal shields offer the same degree of protection. Even though pure metal shields were pretty uncommon outside the buckler. Usually it was just a wooden shield with a metal plate over it or some such.

Jormengand
2013-11-17, 06:46 AM
IIRC, it's only you lot who spell it differently (assuming you're American?). I may be wrong, though.

Yeah, Canadians spell most words normally too, and people who learn English as a second language will usually learn English English.

If you want to be in keeping with the SRD, you should use American spellings, though. :p

If you wanted to use something like the Aztec obsidian blades wedged into a club weapon I would just use the stats for a Longsword and make its damage reduce by one die size every time it hits the foe (higher than touch AC) but doesn't deal damage (lower than AC). On a natural 1 you bust too many blades for it to be a useful weapon.

Or you could use PF rules for Obsidian (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/special-materials#TOC-Obsidian) and the Terbutje (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons#martial-one-handed)