PDA

View Full Version : Can I make/have this mount on a character?

tadkins
2013-11-12, 09:51 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/Kayoss/98d9f85e-23ec-46be-994d-38ab9173d2dc_zps3d7d7f2d.jpg?t=1384310635

Straight out of WoW and one of my favorite mounts in that game, the Jeweled Onyx Panther. It's basically a panther made out of animated stone, studded with jewels, and made by jewelcrafters. It can both run and fly by hovering in the air.

If it's even possible, how do you guys think I could go about making something like this in a 3.5 game?

Jgosse
2013-11-12, 11:24 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/Kayoss/98d9f85e-23ec-46be-994d-38ab9173d2dc_zps3d7d7f2d.jpg?t=1384310635

Straight out of WoW and one of my favorite mounts in that game, the Jeweled Onyx Panther. It's basically a panther made out of animated stone, studded with jewels, and made by jewelcrafters. It can both run and fly by hovering in the air.

If it's even possible, how do you guys think I could go about making something like this in a 3.5 game?

Check out the DMG Wondrous Items : Figurines of Wondrous Power.
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Figurine_of_Wondrous_Power

It is very much inline with what these guys can do.

MesiDoomstalker
2013-11-12, 11:27 PM
Well for starters, you'd want an Effigy Tiger. I don't think Panthers were ever stated separately, but please prove me wrong. The flying bit is harder, at least as an at-will ability. A good standby would be being able to cast Fly on it when needed.

tadkins
2013-11-13, 02:32 AM
Awesome, thanks guys.

Check out the DMG Wondrous Items : Figurines of Wondrous Power.
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Figurine_of_Wondrous_Power

It is very much inline with what these guys can do.

It'd be just a matter of reflavoring the Obsidian Steed figurine into a panther instead of a warhorse, then?

Well for starters, you'd want an Effigy Tiger. I don't think Panthers were ever stated separately, but please prove me wrong. The flying bit is harder, at least as an at-will ability. A good standby would be being able to cast Fly on it when needed.

Forgive my ignorance, but can you tell me in which book I can find the Effigy Tiger?

AzureKnight
2013-11-13, 04:52 AM
Its interesting you asked that about that particular mount as we just talked about that literaly a few hours ago. Best we could offer is you need to hire a master tinkergnome to make a mechanical mount for you. Then hire a nage to imbue it with the fly ability.

FrznTear
2013-11-13, 07:12 AM
Effigy is the perfect fit, found on page 152 of complete arcane this template can be applied to most creatures.

The cost is only dependent on the base creatures HD and and size, so might be able to slap on the winged creature template from savage species on page 137 if you apply it first.

Then you just refluff it to be a panther instead of a lion tiger or bear(oh my~!)

Killer Angel
2013-11-13, 07:26 AM
It'd be just a matter of reflavoring the Obsidian Steed figurine into a panther instead of a warhorse, then?

Do you want also the part "carry the (good) rider to the lower planes" ? :smalltongue:

Jgosse
2013-11-13, 07:43 AM
Awesome, thanks guys.

Yeah just sit down with your DM and look at the list of Figurines take away and add abilities that you want and ask him how much he wants you to pay for it.
As a Dm if one of my players wanted to do something like this that's what I would do.

asnys
2013-11-13, 07:53 AM

I could swear I've seen a saddle or horseshoes or some other magic item that lets your mount fly somewhere, but I can't find it...

One thing to bear in mind about effigies is that their creator retains ultimate control. He can order them to obey you, but if he changes his mind there's nothing you can do about it. That may or may not be an issue depending on the circumstances.

Slipperychicken
2013-11-13, 12:34 PM
Do something along the lines of Clockwork Horse (MM 3 or 4) but make it a feline and give it flight?