PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 Dark Wood Tree?

AboveJester
2013-11-13, 12:12 AM
I have looked everywhere and I still cannot find where dark wood comes from. I mean, obviously, it's wood, but does an actual "dark wood" tree grow? Or does the wood need to be magically treated? I had one DM who decided that dark wood only occasionally appeared as a mutation in random trees. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any SRD content that detailed the origins of dark wood.

Gazzien
2013-11-13, 12:14 AM
Not SRD content, but the level-1 intro module for Pathfinder describes a massive (300+ foot tall) "darkwood tree", so, yes, it's from tees.

Captnq
2013-11-13, 01:23 AM
Yes. It comes from trees.

I actually wrote a whole book on the subject once. The editor rewrote half the rules that I created. it was supposed to be a low magic campaign suppliment and she just... I'm not very happy with it. I wish she had run the changes past me before publishing. Shortening up entries is one thing, creating poorly balanced magic items is another.

But, yeah. Trust me, trees. Also look at Bluewood from unapproachable east, bronzewood from A&EG and ECS, densewood from ECS, duskwood from Magic of faerun, livewood from ECS, Soarwood from ECS, and wildwood from races of the wild.

TuggyNE
2013-11-13, 01:24 AM
I have looked everywhere and I still cannot find where dark wood comes from. I mean, obviously, it's wood, but does an actual "dark wood" tree grow? Or does the wood need to be magically treated? I had one DM who decided that dark wood only occasionally appeared as a mutation in random trees. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any SRD content that detailed the origins of dark wood.

Eberron has known forests of darkwood trees, which tend to grow in magic-rich areas, along with other semi-magical woods like soarwood and densewood.