PDA

View Full Version : Iron Heart Surge

AstralFire
2013-11-13, 03:12 AM
Please don't talk about how/why it is broken.

I want to talk about how to write a way that it fits the feel of "shrugging things off" and isn't so incredibly good that you'd be stupid not to take it (even if it requires a feat to get in your build).

My idea was to write it like so:
Your fighting spirit, dedication, and training allow you to overcome almost anything to defeat your enemies. You may use this maneuver even under conditions (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm) where you would not normally be able or willing to act, so long as you are not dead or unconscious due to dying.

When you use this maneuver, select any one negative status that would ordinarily cease to affect you within 24 hours or less under restful conditions. The negative status ends immediately. You also surge with confidence and vengeance against your enemies, gaining a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls until the end of your next turn.

A negative status is a condition (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm) (aside from death or dying), spell, power, maneuver, mystery, invocation, utterance or creature's special ability which is currently impeding your ability to deal with a situation that you identify as a reasonable threat to your safety, or the safety of those that you currently identify as allies.

Where are the Practical Optimization flaws? (No Dark Chaos Kerfluffle level stuff, please.)

SciChronic
2013-11-13, 03:27 AM
it could just be late, but from that reading i feel that you would be able to shrug off ability damage/drain

AstralFire
2013-11-13, 03:31 AM
it could just be late, but from that reading i feel that you would be able to shrug off ability damage/drain

Some Ability Damage, yes, and out of combat you effectively can remove all ability damage with IHS spam; Ability Drain, no, because that wouldn't restore within 24 hours.

Firechanter
2013-11-13, 03:41 AM
I use a version based on Saph's fix. In a nutshell:
- removes any one condition/status effect, such as Sickened, Nauseated, Shaken, Fatigued etc
- normally takes a Standard Action, but can even be used on your ini count when you normally can't take any actions, such as when you're petrified, under mind control, panicked etc.

This fills the "By Crom!" expectation invoked by the description much better in my mind.

Felyndiira
2013-11-13, 03:46 AM
The only concern I have is that IHS, by the standard Conan shrugging off charms standard, should be able to nullify enchantments as well. As-written, most dominate effects, for instance, go right through by virtue of being 1 day/level. Similarly, combining extend and persist spell would make any condition stick despite IHS, or even extending hour/level effects with an extend rod. It feels a bit weird for IHS to work on, say, Blindness but not Persistent Extended Blindness.

I think IHS needs a different classification for effects than simply duration. I like Saph's version as well, since it's more clear and makes IHS retain its usefulness. Sure, it remains a must-take ability, but I don't think that's a problem given that WRT is there at the same there.

TuggyNE
2013-11-13, 03:50 AM
I'd suggest including mysteries, invocations, and utterances in the list of possible sources.

AstralFire
2013-11-13, 03:50 AM
I actually intentionally built in the fact that it doesn't break domination; in my view, that's basically taking (nearly mandating, given how powerful that is) a feat to get immunity to domination in addition to all the wonderful things it already does, and I'd prefer to address domination itself separately rather than making IHS a bandaid for it.

I'd suggest including mysteries, invocations, and utterances in the list of possible sources.

Thanks.

Firechanter
2013-11-13, 03:58 AM
Is it necessary to specify the source at all? What of you just left that out?

Kelb_Panthera
2013-11-13, 04:21 AM
If I were to rewrite it, I'd probably do it like this.

Iron Heart Surge
Level: warblade 3
Prerequisite: one iron heart maneuver
Initiation action: see text
Range: personal
Target: you
Duration: see text

Unlike other maneuvers, iron heart surge can be initiated as long as the initiator is conscious. He need not be able to move and can even initiate the maneuver if his actions for the round are restricted, such as if he were sickened or dazed.

Choose one of the following options. The chosen option's effect is removed, from the initiator only, for the remainder of its duration. If the initiator is the only creature affected by the chosen option it ends immediately.

Any one spell currently affecting the initiator whose remaining duration is one round or longer Any one of the following conditions described in the conditions summary on dmg 300-301: blinded, confused, cowering, dazed, dazzled, deafened, energy drained, exhausted, fascinated, fatigued, frightened, nauseated, panicked, paralyzed, shaken, sickened, or stunned

The initiator also gain a +2 morale bonus to attack rolls until the end of his next turn.

The initiator cannot use a standard action on the same turn that he initiates this maneuver even if he has one available.

Story
2013-11-13, 09:27 AM
Why not just make it function as Break Enchantment, Restoration, Limited Wish, Wish, etc? (Well plus a clause for when you can't take actions of course)

Maginomicon
2013-11-13, 09:44 AM
Here's how I handle it in my House Rules document:
Iron Heart Surge
“Condition” means

any mind-affecting effect, ability penalty effect,
unnatural blindness, unnatural deafness,
the confused, dazzled, entangled, exhausted (exhaustion improves to fatigue), fascinated, fatigued, nauseated, shaken, or sickened condition, or
a specific non-instantaneous non-permanent targeted or area effect that affects you (it simply doesn’t affect you specifically now).

It does not end the paralyzed, stunned, dazed, frightened, panicked, or dominated conditions, as maneuvers require the ability to move and initiating this maneuver explicitly requires willfully using a standard action to end the effect.
Admittedly, IHS spam could still remove the exhausted condition eventually, but that's hardly overpowered. Ability damage/drain/burn intentionally isn't in there.