PDA

View Full Version : Time till sunset

zottel
2013-11-13, 03:22 AM
Lets kill some Catgirls... :smallwink:

In the last Panel of 928 the Sun is about its own diameter above the horizon.
Assuming the same astronomy as for our good old Earth the Sun moves about its own diameter in 2 minutes.
Further assuming we are close to the equator (we are in a desert after all), this would mean the sun touches the horizon in 2 min, and is below the horizon another 2 min later. (By the way, civil dusk is defined at 6degrees below horizon, i.e. would start in about half an hour.)
So sunset is soon, but maybe to late for poor Durkola ...

Well, of course I know there is little reason for the sun to move the same way as on this planet, it more likely moves at the speed of plot, like the rest. But I just had fun, and I hope you liked it too ;)

Edit: Spelling

Silverionmox
2013-11-13, 06:39 AM
Further assuming we are close to the equator (we are in a dessert after all), Oh, did one of the wormholes go to the Semi-Elemental Plane of Sandy Pastry? :smallwink:

How much wiggle room is there? How would a larger or smaller planet effect the visual speed of the setting sun? How does the lens effect of the atmosphere at the horizon affect things?

Trillium
2013-11-13, 06:54 AM
Oh, did one of the wormholes go to the Semi-Elemental Plane of Sandy Pastry? :smallwink:

How much wiggle room is there? How would a larger or smaller planet effect the visual speed of the setting sun? How does the lens effect of the atmosphere at the horizon affect things?

Smaller planet would likely spin faster, so sun would set faster.

However, it may also have less inertia and get slowed... Astrophysics.

zottel
2013-11-13, 07:22 AM
Planet size would not matter.
Size of the sun and distance from the sun would change the apparent size of the sun in the sky (half a degree for our sun).
"speed of the sun in the sky" is determined by rotation speed, i.e. how many hours is there to a day. A 24hour day yields roughly 4 minutes/degree.
(Edit: 4 minutes/degree, of course, thanks factotum)

In Physics, I dont see much more wiggle room.

An easy way out is that Astronomy should hide in the corner and cry itself to sleep, while some Solar deity drives his Chariot of the sun across the sky.
If Helios needs to go to the bathroom, maybe he speeds things up at the end of the day ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_deity

factotum
2013-11-13, 07:59 AM
A 24hour day yields roughly 4 degrees/minute.

I think you mean a degree every 4 minutes--at 4 degrees a minute the planet would have a 90 minute day!

zottel
2013-11-13, 08:33 AM
I think you mean a degree every 4 minutes--at 4 degrees a minute the planet would have a 90 minute day!

Sorry for the typo, of course you are right. I edited my post.

MikelaC1
2013-11-13, 09:27 AM
It really doesnt matter when the sun sets...thats only the time he can start praying. Its not going to be BOOM, Sun down, full spell complement back. Not to mention Thor's reaction.

zimmerwald1915
2013-11-13, 09:36 AM
It really doesnt matter when the sun sets...thats only the time he can start praying. Its not going to be BOOM, Sun down, full spell complement back. Not to mention Thor's reaction.
If the sun is no longer in the sky then Durkon is no longer at risk of evaporating.

MikelaC1
2013-11-13, 09:37 AM
If the sun is no longer in the sky then Durkon is no longer at risk of evaporating.

Yes, but he still doesnt have his spells back and thats what the group really needs.

xroads
2013-11-13, 09:37 AM

I think the general concern is whether sunset will arrive in enough time to keep Durkula from being vaporized, and not so much whether he gets all his spells back immediately.

Trillium
2013-11-13, 09:55 AM
In fact, it takes exactly [plot] seconds for Durkon to pray for spells.
I can easily imagine Hel giving her new (and most likely only, if not first) cleric a full set of spells instantly, as a welcome bonus =)

Katuko
2013-11-13, 09:55 AM
It's also something to factor in that in order to refill spell slots you need 8 hours of rest. I have no idea if that also applies to undead beings that technically don't need rest at all, but if Durkon has to abide by it he would not be able to regain spells this dusk.

As long as he can survive, though, waiting a day for new spells shouldn't be all that hard on the Order when they can't instantly teleport to Kraagor's Gate anyways.

MikelaC1
2013-11-13, 09:59 AM
It's also something to factor in that in order to refill spell slots you need 8 hours of rest. I have no idea if that also applies to undead beings that technically don't need rest at all, but if Durkon has to abide by it he would not be able to regain spells this dusk.

As long as he can survive, though, waiting a day for new spells shouldn't be all that hard on the Order when they can't instantly teleport to Kraagor's Gate anyways.

Teleporting to Kraagor's Gate...second on the list of things to do.
Theres a tiny other matter that needs to be handled first...like surviving.

Rogar Demonblud
2013-11-13, 10:20 AM
Well, once the sun is down Durkon no longer has to play defensively, and even without spells he's probably the top dog in the Order right now, given what the vampire template does to his melee capabilities.

Spoomeister
2013-11-13, 11:50 AM
In addition to the bit about time being measured in units of plot, and thus the sun can take as long or short as it needs to... there is precedent in OOTS for the use of Time Stop. So it's not completely unfair if e.g. Thor or Hel want to have a heart-to-heart with Durkula.

In general that tells me that Durkon will be ashed only if Rich thinks it's the right time... and Durkon will actually be useful in the post-Spiky, post-mook-Dominating part of the fight if Rich decides to use him that way by finagling a way to one or more spells, or a simple staff attack / vamp attack. Rich hasn't written himself into a corner, nor is he operating against a specific clock.

SoC175
2013-11-13, 01:55 PM
Well, once the sun is down Durkon no longer has to play defensively, and even without spells he's probably the top dog in the Order right now, given what the vampire template does to his melee capabilities.At the end of the day (pun intended) the template gives him +3 attack/damage with the defensive boost being a compensation for the hp he lost in the transformation.

So he would still be second best, still after Roy but now a little less behind Roy

Cirin
2013-11-13, 02:02 PM

We do have a precedent for undead and rest for spellcasting in OotS.

Xykon did note that he has to have 8 hours of downtime daily to regain his spells (the exact strip eludes me and I realize it could take a very long time to find it), hence one reason for some of his side diversions. He doesn't, and in fact can't sleep, but at least 8 hours of the day can't be spent in spellcasting, item creation or anything particularly strenuous.

Rogar Demonblud
2013-11-13, 02:08 PM
At the end of the day (pun intended) the template gives him +3 attack/damage with the defensive boost being a compensation for the hp he lost in the transformation.

So he would still be second best, still after Roy but now a little less behind Roy

And Fast Healing, and DR10/Magic and Silver, maybe a better AC with the DEX increase, and his Slam Attacks will really screw up the Psion. Roy has a +5 sword and a Belt of Strength (+6, I think), no innate healing, fewer HP and probably a worse AC than Durkon at the moment. Plus he's already really banged up.

Memoria
2013-11-13, 02:23 PM
Some of you guys are applying arcane spellcaster rules to a divine spellcaster. What Xykon the sorcerer does is 100% irrelevant.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/cleric.htm

Each cleric must choose a time at which he must spend 1 hour each day in quiet contemplation or supplication to regain his daily allotment of spells. Time spent resting has no effect on whether a cleric can prepare spells.

Unless OOTS changed that for this individual game setting, I really can't remember. :smallsmile:

Knight.Anon
2013-11-13, 02:32 PM
I hope that Durkula was using his Children of the Night Power back when he was being so so inactive. Having a dozen wolves show up would help in giving the party a reprieve.

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-11-13, 02:38 PM
Xykon did note that he has to have 8 hours of downtime daily to regain his spells (the exact strip eludes me and I realize it could take a very long time to find it), hence one reason for some of his side diversions.

No, that's not what Xykon said. He said he has 16 hours of downtime per day since the rules do not allow him to spend more than 8 hours per day crafting magical items, which is how he has been using up time while allowing RC to play governor of the city and collector of gate information.

How much he needs to rest to regain spells is not addressed in-comic, although presumably he follows the usual rules for a sorcerer (whichever those happen to be).

Grey Wolf

SoC175
2013-11-13, 03:19 PM
And Fast Healing, and DR10/Magic and Silver Offsetting his hp loss from losing his Con stat

, maybe a better AC with the DEX increase, Unlikely due to his armor

Roy has a +5 sword and a Belt of Strength (+6, I think) And more important is a fighter thus having a higher BAB that the +6 Str for Durkon may just break even.

fewer HP Actually more hp. Durkon likely lost hp in his transformation despite going from 4.5 per level to 6.5 eper level due to losing all Con mod bonuses

Roy with his 5.5 per level plus Con mod is definately above him in hp

I hope that Durkula was using his Children of the Night Power back when he was being so so inactive. Having a dozen wolves show up would help in giving the party a reprieve.Not really, since these wolves would be CR1 each. Even if he gets max wolves they all together would be EL8.

And that's only due to how it's calculated, but they wouldn't really have the power of a level 8 encounter and even if they had, that's way below what required to even give TT XP for defeating them

Katuko
2013-11-13, 03:55 PM
Teleporting to Kraagor's Gate...second on the list of things to do.
Theres a tiny other matter that needs to be handled first...like surviving.
Hence I wrote "As long as he can survive". ;)

Some of you guys are applying arcane spellcaster rules to a divine spellcaster. What Xykon the sorcerer does is 100% irrelevant.
Hm, I hadn't noticed that the divine casters only need 1 hour to regain spells, but I suppose it makes sense since they do not use their own body for casting as much as a wizard/sorcerer does. Still, one hour is time they don't have in the middle of combat, so I don't expect Durkon to spontaneously regain spells to turn the battle around. I do expect the setting sun to have some significance in saving Durkon's (un)life.

Regarding Children of the Night: Even if the animals would be pathetically weak against someone of Tarquin's stature, couldn't they be used as a momentary distraction? One action spent kicking a wolf aside would be one action less spent hurting the Order.

SoC175
2013-11-13, 04:02 PM
Regarding Children of the Night: Even if the animals would be pathetically weak against someone of Tarquin's stature, couldn't they be used as a momentary distraction? One action spent kicking a wolf aside would be one action less spent hurting the Order.Theoretically. But why would they spend time to kick a wolf that could only hit them on a nat 20?