PDA

View Full Version : Greenhilt's Sword in Greenhilt's Chest

Turin_19
2013-11-13, 10:56 AM
Hello everyone,

I saw that Tarquin especifically got Roy's sword to finish him and attack Elan.

Can there be any magic in the sword making it 'useless' against a Greenhilt?

Asking someone who's never played D&D!

Thanks,

dancrilis
2013-11-13, 11:08 AM
Could there be?
Yes - you can use magic to do basically anything.

Is it likely?
No.

Gorm_the_DBA
2013-11-13, 11:08 AM
Well...sure....as one of the Core D&D rules is that the DM can change the rules in any way they deem necessary to support the story being told...

However, by default, no...if it's metal, sharp, and pointy, and you're human without something weird, any sword is going to hurt.

AKA_Bait
2013-11-13, 11:09 AM
There's no standard enchantment I'm aware of that would make a weapon useless against a particular, specific individual.

In any event, we have no in comic evidence that any such enchantment is actually on the sword and Roy's face is pretty solid evidence that he took damage.

Jay R
2013-11-13, 11:14 AM
There is no evidence for that theory either in the D&D rules or in the descriptions of Roy's sword in the comic.

There is evidence against it in Roy's face in the final panel.

Chantelune
2013-11-13, 11:19 AM
At best, there might be some house-ruled enchantement to deactivate the usual ones when used on a green-hilt, but even then, the sword would apply the usual base damages and non-magical modifiers.

As other said, there are little to no chances that it's the case there. And we can see in the comic that it did hurt Roy along with Elan.

TheWolfe
2013-11-13, 11:31 AM
He didn't take any damage, as there was already a big hole there from when he was impaled by the dinosaur, so the sword just went through Roy without doing any additional damage!:smallwink::smalltongue:

Heksefatter
2013-11-13, 11:42 AM
At least it looked like getting impaled on his own sword hurt Roy a bit.

Rogar Demonblud
2013-11-13, 02:12 PM
It's been too long since I've read Weapons of Legacy, but there might be something in there on the subject.

Bulldog Psion
2013-11-13, 02:50 PM
I wondered briefly if it was going to heal him. :smallamused:

Of course, that would pretty much make it a unique houseruled artifact.

Knight.Anon
2013-11-13, 03:06 PM
The Giant could take it as an opportunity to upgrade the sword into the sentient variety. A magical sword being used to harm the family it has served for generations could be a shock to the system. Its a fantasy universe things like that count. A adventuring party isn't complete until it has a talking weapon anyway.

As it is now the sword has a connection to Greenhilt family, Roy's father used it to contact Roy in the early days of the strip. We haven't seen much of Eugene since Roy left the afterlife. Its possible that Eugene could get a spell through it, but what use are illusions to a guy with a ring of true seeing? I suppose an multiple award winning illusionist would see that a challenge though.

Hopefully Eugene doesn't bond with the sword, I don't think Roy or the rest of the order could survive the stress.

Chronos
2013-11-13, 07:38 PM
That other D&D webcomic, Goblins: Life Through Their Eyes, does include a weapon that can't harm its intended wielders: The Axe of Prissan, a weapon made for paladins, and which passes through them harmlessly.

Of course, it's also a major artifact, and all bets are off when it comes to those.

Chantelune
2013-11-14, 10:26 AM
He didn't take any damage, as there was already a big hole there from when he was impaled by the dinosaur, so the sword just went through Roy without doing any additional damage!:smallwink::smalltongue:

You can see that the sword add a new big slash on Roy's stomach when Tarquin strike them both. The wound from the horn is already there, but smaller.

MikelaC1
2013-11-14, 10:31 AM
If its a sentient blade, it would be aligned to Good and would not take kindly to being wielded by an Evil character...it might retaliate but only on that basis, not because it was used on Roy.

Souhiro
2013-11-14, 10:34 AM
It IS possible to enchant a weapon to do Non-Lethal damage. It's a simple enchancement, and it allow you to switch at will between lethal and non-lethal damage.

Yes, it you could enchant a blade so it auto-switch to Non-Lethal should it be used against some certain individual (I.E. You) but it's too unlikely: Most of enemies carry their own weapons, instead of trying to hurt you with your own blade!

JSSheridan
2013-11-15, 05:47 PM
There's no standard enchantment I'm aware of that would make a weapon useless against a particular, specific individual.

In any event, we have no in comic evidence that any such enchantment is actually on the sword and Roy's face is pretty solid evidence that he took damage.

Is there an enchantment that allows a dead father (Eugene) to manifest to his living son (Roy)?

MagicalMeat
2013-11-15, 07:41 PM
I'd say that the only differences between Roy vs Tarquin wielding it would be Greenhilts cannot appear to Tarquin in ghost form, and Tarquin receives a minor penalty seeing as the sword is balanced for someone of Roy's height and weight (unless Tarquin has the same dimensions as Roy).

eilandesq
2013-11-15, 08:21 PM
Sadly*, Roy is not Samurai Jack, and the Greenhilt Greatsword was not forged either originally or anew by Odin, Ra, and Rama.**

*Sadly for the posed question, not because Roy should be Samurai Jack--Roy is cool in his own right without needing to be Samurai Jack.

**and Xykon is not Aku. Though it would be fun if Xykon was voiced by the late, great Mako.

Knight.Anon
2013-11-15, 11:59 PM
Tarquin has had the sword for a round now with no ill effects.:smallmad: I was hoping for something but Julio's entrance trumps everything for now.

Unless Julio is some kind of illusion, and the chances of that are like one in a million.:smallsmile: