PDA

View Full Version : Building a viable truenamer

Xuldarinar
2013-11-13, 02:26 PM
As the title suggests, I have a question. Is it possible, without homebrew, to build a (at least almost) viable truenamer?

JaronK
2013-11-13, 02:29 PM
Sure. Strongly consider Item Familiar, and check out those tiles in Complete Arcane that fire off magic effects when broken (they're alternate potions). Combine this with your invocation that repairs objects. Go nuts.

JaronK

Psyren
2013-11-13, 03:13 PM
You certainly can, but why would you? Just use a fix and be done with it, all the work's been done for you.

I know I wouldn't want my Truenamer to be permanently shackled to an ambulatory dresser (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/11/07) or whatever just so my magic can work reliably.

sideswipe
2013-11-13, 03:40 PM
yes, a few things make it playable. there is an organisation called the pragnostic assembely in complete divine i think. gives +5 to one knowledge (includes truespeak) if you sit with books each day. be an elf and use the extra time to read up lightly so that by the time wizards and clerics are done so are you.

get an amulet of the silver tongue for +5 or +10

a master work skill tool is 50g for +2 circumstance bonus

skill focus truename +3 to the check

headbands of int, there are obscure items to help and dips in classes to gain boosts like marshal for +charisma bonus to int skill checks.

with ease you can make it so you auto pass once or twice a day even not fully optomised. but you will need to be fully optomised to use meta feats or to be above level 10 really.

look http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8270.0 here for optomisation tips beyond this.

Story
2013-11-13, 04:24 PM
The worst part though is that even with crazy optimization, they're still only tier 4 until level 20.

sideswipe
2013-11-13, 04:32 PM
The worst part though is that even with crazy optimization, they're still only tier 4 until level 20.

the tier system. i always see people mention it. and yes i have read it. but its not the be all and end all of D&D. the class itself if flavourful and cool to play, it may not blast things as well as a wizard, heal like a cleric, or have overpowered summoning (until level 20) but the truenamer is really useful, unique and again fun. especially in an investigation campaign

Psyren
2013-11-13, 04:33 PM
You can get just as much flavor and coolness out of a fixed version, and not need to shackle your ability to rewrite reality with your voice to a stat-stick to be effective.

sideswipe
2013-11-13, 04:51 PM
You can get just as much flavor and coolness out of a fixed version, and not need to shackle your ability to rewrite reality with your voice to a stat-stick to be effective.

yes but in my experience nearly every DM i have met doesnt allow homebrew unless its their own. with homebrew you just have stupid things so they say no rather then annoy people with a you can have this homebrew but not that.

and yes it wasnt fully play tested as a class but in the fluff it is supposed to be a harder form of magic. incredibly precise and unforgiving to the caster. fixes for it just mean that un optimised characters get a few uses easily from utterances a day. and optimised characters get over 10 uses feasibly..... imagine if wizard could cast gate or wish 10 times a day with almost no penalty. that is what you end up with with most homebrew fixes