PDA

View Full Version : Very quick scribe scroll help!

The Dodr Dragon
2013-11-13, 05:48 PM
I've been trying to make a Scrollomancer. Level 10 Factotum that can make any scroll of 4th level or under.
Problem is, I can't find anywhere how many uses a scroll you make has.
Some places say 3, 4, or d4, but can't find a concrete answer.:smalleek:

Doc_Maynot
2013-11-13, 05:50 PM
One use (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm), according to the SRD

Yuki Akuma
2013-11-13, 05:54 PM
That d4 is for determining how many spells are on a scroll you find as random treasure. Each spell can only be used once.

The Dodr Dragon
2013-11-13, 05:58 PM
Aww mann. Well thanks for such a quick reply anyways guys.

Might take Craft wand aswell for things like detect magic and cure light wounds. :smallbiggrin:

Harrow
2013-11-13, 06:02 PM
You may use each spell on a scroll once. Scrolls may have as many spells on them as you care to craft. The final product takes as much money as it would take to make a scroll of each spell you use, and the time to craft and XP cost is based off of that total.

So you could make a Scroll with Fireball 3 times and Solid Fog once. Assuming you lowered the caster level to the minimum, that would cost (3*5*25*3+4*7*25*1)/2, for a total of 912 gold and 5 silver. It would also cost 73 xp and take 2 days to make. Making 3 scrolls of Fireball and one of Solid Fog separately would cost the same amount of gold and xp, but would take 4 days to craft because you cannot craft more than one item a day.

The Dodr Dragon
2013-11-13, 06:07 PM
More spells per scroll would help action economy too, even as a factotum.
Already have a quill of scribing and quick draw tho :smallbiggrin:

Yuki Akuma
2013-11-13, 06:15 PM
Aww mann. Well thanks for such a quick reply anyways guys.

Might take Craft wand aswell for things like detect magic and cure light wounds. :smallbiggrin:

Do this. Wands are much more cost-efficient than scrolls, as a wand costs thirty times as much as a scroll of the same spell and caster level, but has fifty uses.

Captnq
2013-11-13, 06:44 PM
Umm... At about 9th level, an artificer can scribe any scroll, of any level, any spell, any class. All ya need are some Caster Level boosts and you're good to go.

Just remember to get some skill boosters because it's really easy to fail without at least a +10 to UMD. But yeah, enough equipment, a 9th level artificer only need to scrounge up +6 to his caster level and you can scribe scroll. You know, ioun stones, abbott WSA, a level in wild mage with Practiced Spellcaster and sudden empower or maximize. You know the drill.

The Dodr Dragon
2013-11-13, 07:00 PM
Wands are more efficient, but I would save buying/making wands for spells that are low level(and hence very cheap) or needs to be cast numerous times like Identify or CLW.

Another thing is that I am going with Factotum so I have all the skills to skill-monkey expertly.
But, I also will have a scroll(or a few) of every situation and helpful spell so I can be that guy who always has That Scroll that is just what we need to overcome an obstical.

Factotum + quick-draw also lets me fireball the enemy and then grease them in the same round :smallcool:

Yuki Akuma
2013-11-13, 07:02 PM
The basic way to determine whether you should get scrolls or wands:

Do you see yourself only casting the spell at most 29 times in your entire career? Scrolls.

Do you see yourself casting the spell 30 or more times in your entire career? Wands.