PDA

View Full Version : If Elan is Luke, Tarquin Vader and Julio Kenobi, does it make then...

Blas_de_Lezo
2013-11-13, 06:53 PM
... Haley Leia,
... Durkon Chewbacca,
... Roy Solo,
... V C3PO
and Belkar R2D2??

:smallbiggrin:

EDIT: why on hell there are no pictures of this yet?

Excise
2013-11-13, 06:56 PM
See, I would have pegged Elan as Threepio.

Xzenu
2013-11-13, 06:56 PM
The short answer is "no".

The long answer is "nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnno".

NihhusHuotAliro
2013-11-13, 06:58 PM
That Guy WIth A Halberd is obviously the infamous Ice Cream Maker Man from The Empire Strikes Back.

NerdyKris
2013-11-13, 06:58 PM
No. Stop. Come on.

We had ONE strip that referenced Star Wars. ONE SINGLE JOKE.

That does not mean we need to shoehorn every strip into a Star Wars Reference for the rest of the book. Which, to be fair, is easy, because Star Wars is a pretty basic hero's journey in space. People were doing mentor figures coming to the rescue for thousands of years before Star Wars.

Blas_de_Lezo
2013-11-13, 06:59 PM
No. Stop. Come on.

That does not mean we need to shoehorn every strip into a Star Wars Reference for the rest of the book. Which, to be fair, is easy, because Star Wars is a pretty basic hero's journey in space. People were doing mentor figures coming to the rescue for thousands of years before Star Wars.

Are you sure? Does it make you who?

Kornaki
2013-11-13, 06:59 PM
Nerdy, Julio called Elan his padawan when they first started training too.

Domino Quartz
2013-11-13, 07:01 PM
... Haley Leia,

:smalleek: O_o No, because Leia was Luke's sister.

Blas_de_Lezo
2013-11-13, 07:04 PM

Well, Luke kisses Leia in one movie, doesn't he? And secretly I suppose he wanted to bone her... and maybe during his lone Jedi nights in Dagobah she was remembered somehow. :smallamused:

EDIT: Can I say "lone nights in Dagobah" in this forum?

AstralFire
2013-11-13, 07:09 PM
No. Stop. Come on.

"I am your father," "thermal detonator" and "Padawan" make three jokes in three different strips.

Taelas
2013-11-13, 07:12 PM
No. Stop. Come on.

One single joke? Really?

-Tarquin's name is an obvious shout-out to A New Hope.
-Tarquin did the "I'm your father" reveal, referencing Empire Strikes Back.
-Gannji pulled the "thermal detonator" joke, referencing Return of the Jedi.
-Tarquin referenced Empire Strikes Back again later, when he has Kilkil say, "Pray I don't alter it any further" to Gannji.

Those are pretty explicitly Star Wars references. I'm sure there are others in this book I haven't thought of.

RNGgod
2013-11-13, 07:16 PM
Your other points, fine, but

-Tarquin's name is an obvious shout-out to A New Hope.

Nope. Not true. It's a reference to Tarquin Superbus, last king of Rome before it became a Republic.

It is, however, quite possible that Grand Moff Tarkin was a reference to King Tarquin as well.

Taelas
2013-11-13, 07:19 PM
Ah. Well, I never claimed to know much about early Roman history. :smalltongue:

NerdyKris
2013-11-13, 07:19 PM
"I am your father," "thermal detonator" and "Padawan" make three jokes in three different strips.

"I am your father" and thermal detonator were the same strip.

And you know what, fine. You're all correct. Rich is a hack who can only write a story if he painstakingly copies a famous pop culture icon and constantly references it. Because we're all reading this story to see Star Wars in a swords and magic setting. Not because it's an original story that might occasionally reference pop culture.

That's my problem with these threads for the past 3 years. That people appear to want to just see Star Wars references instead of an original story. If you want that, go read Darths and Droids. But trying to predict the plot points by constantly stating what Star Wars scene it's similar to is doing a massive disservice to the story.

Cerussite
2013-11-13, 07:22 PM
Haley as Leia? This is leading into dangerous territory. Sexy dangerous territory.

Emanick
2013-11-13, 07:23 PM

And you know what, fine. You're all correct. Rich is a hack who can only write a story if he painstakingly copies a famous pop culture icon and constantly references it. Because we're all reading this story to see Star Wars in a swords and magic setting. Not because it's an original story that might occasionally reference pop culture.

That's my problem with these threads for the past 3 years. That people appear to want to just see Star Wars references instead of an original story. If you want that, go read Darths and Droids. But trying to predict the plot points by constantly stating what Star Wars scene it's similar to is doing a massive disservice to the story.

Lighten up. :smalltongue: People enjoy comparing stories they enjoy to one another and pointing out the similarities between them, and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't think anybody has suggested that OOTS is nothing more than a Star Wars knock-off, that it's just "Star Wars in a swords and magic setting."

AstralFire
2013-11-13, 07:23 PM

"Hey, let's have fun making silly jokes and analogies to another popular IP which Mr. Burlew has clearly referenced multiple times" is not the same as "let's use Star Wars to predict the outcome of this upcoming strip." The only prediction that's really been made in earnest with any relationship to this is the one which Julio made himself.

Taelas
2013-11-13, 07:26 PM
No, they weren't. They were right after one another (and Gannji said he was 'trying to keep the theme going'), but they weren't the same.

Dude, relax. It's all in good fun.

NerdyKris
2013-11-13, 07:31 PM
I'm sorry, I'm cranky at other things and taking it out on this thread.

Because really, there have been plenty of "Well this is going to happen because Star Wars" in every thread since that line.

AstralFire
2013-11-13, 07:34 PM
Happens to the best of us.

Personally, whenever I get too fed up with any one particular behavior that I view the forum as a whole expressing, I just leave for a few weeks and come back later. Keeps things fresh.

Excise
2013-11-13, 07:47 PM
Before anyone asks, Banjo is R2.

Gift Jeraff
2013-11-13, 08:03 PM
Elan sent a message asking for help through Durkon.

Elan = Leia
Durkon = R2-D2

Ghost Nappa
2013-11-13, 08:24 PM
No no no. See, if Elan is Luke, then...

Tarquin is Vader.
Julio is Obi-Wan.
Nale is Evil-Male Leia.

Haley is Mara Jade.
Roy is Han? (squick)
Durkon is R2-D2.
Belkar is Chewbacca
Vaarsuvius is C-3PO.
Blackwing is a Delusion of Grandeur
Scruffy is an Ewok.

ti'esar
2013-11-13, 08:39 PM
Because really, there have been plenty of "Well this is going to happen because Star Wars" in every thread since that line.

From what I've seen, it's less "this is going to happen" and more "this is going to be another Star Wars reference, right?"

Clistenes
2013-11-13, 09:08 PM

Oh, come on, that's impossible. Haley is obviously the daughter of Right Eye, reincarnated as a human girl, so she can't be Tarquin's daughter. :smallwink:

On the other hand...there must be a reason Ian Starshine hates Tarquin so much...what if Tarquin boned Ian's wife? :smalltongue:

UtahBrian
2013-11-13, 09:25 PM
Well, Luke kisses Leia in one movie, doesn't he? And secretly I suppose he wanted to bone her... and maybe during his lone Jedi nights in Dagobah she was remembered somehow. :smallamused:

Luke and Haley and Star Wars in OOTS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygpbTNLu2u4

Zmeoaice
2013-11-14, 12:51 AM
... Haley Leia,

Yay, Twincest!

Valanarch
2013-11-14, 12:55 AM
The problem with this analogy is that it revolves around the idea that Elan and Tarquin are the center of the story, not Xykon and Roy.

Carl
2013-11-14, 01:11 AM

It could be worse, according to a serious fan i once knew there was a radio drama written and produced between the origional movies that did everything short of outright state that Luke and Leia slept together during it, (given the era they couldn't outright state).

That said i sort of agree. i don;t think we can shoehorn people together that easily for comparison. Elan is clearly filling the Luke role here, Tarquin is clearly Vader, and Julio is Han with the Machene filling in for the Falcon. But i din;t think we can shoehorn anyone else in anywhere, well maybe Belkar = D2, he is the amusing comic relief with a surprisingly violent streak.

Also shame on you all for missing a huge ass SW reference in this very strip. When Lukes getting chased down the iconic death star canyon the Falcon casts a shadow over the canyon just before blowing away Vader's wingmen. Then we get a cutaway shot to the falcon eclipsing the local star followed by the big explosion and then we see Vader wandering away fuming in his beat up cool fighter.

Ohh yeah, anyone wanna bet on some Hot reference's at the northern gate?

snikrept
2013-11-14, 01:37 AM
Gannji was the one with the thermal detonator. Clearly Gannji is Leia! He must be appearing in an upcoming strip where he falls in love with a member of the team! It all makes perfect sense !!!!1!!11

Michaeler
2013-11-14, 01:59 AM
The problem with this analogy is that it revolves around the idea that Elan and Tarquin are the center of the story, not Xykon and Roy.

Aha, so Elan is Pink 5?

Flame of Anor
2013-11-14, 03:42 AM
Before anyone asks, Banjo is R2.

And Giggles is...IG-88?

luchifer
2013-11-14, 07:53 AM

Elan and Tarquin could be very well the center of the story. There is a comic number (wich I dont remember right know) where Roy is told that he is not the center of the story (meant as a joke, but who knows?)

edit I believe it was the oracle, when he banished Ghost Roy.

Taelas
2013-11-14, 08:33 AM
The Oracle says the whole campaign world doesn't revolve around Roy.

Kish
2013-11-14, 08:35 AM
Elan and Tarquin could be very well the center of the story. There is a comic number (wich I dont remember right know) where Roy is told that he is not the center of the story (meant as a joke, but who knows?)

edit I believe it was the oracle, when he banished Ghost Roy.
I am dubious that the Oracle meant to imply that some other mammal was the center of the story.

Charles Phipps
2013-11-14, 12:58 PM
I'm probably alone but I actually think Elan replacing Roy as the hero would be a better story.

There's just uh, err, well slightly Unfortunate Implications to doing so.

Which exist solely because of RL concerns.

Clistenes
2013-11-14, 02:27 PM
I'm probably alone but I actually think Elan replacing Roy as the hero would be a better story.

There's just uh, err, well slightly Unfortunate Implications to doing so.

Which exist solely because of RL concerns.

I didn't think of that until you mentioned it.

Of course there would people who would feel enraged if the somewhat dark-skinned protagonist were to be killed, letting a ultra-white one reach victory in his place, but I honestly think it would be dumb. Roy is so far away from any Hollywoodesque offensive racial stereotype as he can be.

As a matter of fact, I have never perceived the webcomic's characters as belonging to any race in particular, even if they are drawn with different hair and skin colors; their behavior has no connection with their coloration. I don't even know if O'chuul, Hinjo and Miko are supposed to look Asian or European, or if Roy is supposed to look Black, Hispanic, Arabic or something else. And I like it this way. They are all just people.

AstralFire
2013-11-14, 02:31 PM
I don't want to touch that can of worms w/r/t RL implications.

Elan is my favorite protagonist and I love when he takes center stage, but I think the answer to this is: Ensemble Cast.

Right now, Roy and Elan are the co-leads, but it wouldn't take much to bump V and Haley up there.

Tylorious
2013-11-14, 02:54 PM
Oh my goodness guys, look.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0196.html

This whole Comic is an allagory to Scooby Doo :smalltongue:

Knight.Anon
2013-11-14, 05:22 PM
Tarquin = Bobba Fett (Helmet, Gadgets, Desert)
Julio = Mace Windu (It doesn't matter how you die as long as you look cool doing it. - close to a SLJ quote for taking the role - didn't want Windu to go out like a punk - way more style than Obi-Wan)
Empress of Blood = Jabba the Hutt
Empire of Blood = Tatooine
Xykon = Emperor (player)
Red Cloak = Vader (hater)
Belkar = R2 (little guy who way more dangerous than he should be)
V = C3P0 (Fussy - know it all, androgynous)
Roy = Luke (Standard issue hero & Goatherd)
Haley = Han Solo (Rogue who needs $ - and is on the run)
Elan = Leia (Naive Royalty attracted to Rogues, gets the ball rolling)
Durkon = Lando (D went darkside, came back, is going to bring doom to his home; Order liked him once but is not sure if they trust him anymore)
Mr Scruffy = Chewbacca (hairy and loyal; not good at fixing starships:smallsmile:)
Miko = Darth Maul (fierce unyielding bisected warrior)
Eugene = Obi-Wan (Magic-Man - who kicked the can, Mentor, Ghost)

Life looses its richness when you start equating everything to those six movies. :smallsigh:

Emanick
2013-11-14, 06:43 PM
Tarquin = Bobba Fett
Julio = Mace Windu
Empress of Blood = Jabba the Hutt
The Empire of Blood = Tatooine
Xykon = Emperor
Red Cloak = Vader
Belkar = R2
V = C3P0
Roy = Luke
Haley = Han Solo
Elan = Leia
Durkon = Lando
Mr Scruffy = Chewbacca
Miko = Darth Maul

Life looses its richness when you start equating everything to those six movies. :smallsigh:

Especially since those equations seem almost completely arbitrary. Julio is Mace Windu? Durkon is Lando? Did you just pick names out of a hat and pair them with each other at random? :smallconfused:

Not that it matters at all, mind you, but I find those comparisons... confusing, to say the least.

epmqy
2013-11-14, 07:26 PM
One single joke? Really?

-Gannji pulled the "thermal detonator" joke, referencing Return of the Jedi.

I honestly thought that was a Doctor Who reference, whoops. xD

Surfing HalfOrc
2013-11-14, 07:35 PM
The problem with saying this story is a rewrite of "Star Wars" ignores the fact that Star Wars is the "Everystory."

A New Hope (Without special effects)
A beautiful princess is fleeing from the Dark Lord. Her ship is captured, but she is able to give a secret message for an exiled military general to one of her servants. Two servants escape, but are later captured by slave dealers. They are sold to "Our Hero" who has no more plan than to put them to work on his farm.

The servant with the message for the exiled general escapes. The hero follows and recaptures the servant, but is immediately attacked by desert raiders. The exiled general (who is now a desert dweller) comes along just in time to rescue the hero, and is given the message by the servant. The Hero declines the call to adventure, as he has to run his farm.

The Hero and the General return to the farm to find it razed to the ground. Since the Hero has nothing left in this world, he accompanies the General to the nearby port town, where they meet a ship's captain and his first mate at a local tavern. The Hero and General hire the captain to take them to the Princess' kingdom. The captain (being more pirate than legitimate) is engaged in a brief scuffle with a local thug, then everyone leaves before the Dark Lord's troops are able to capture them.

Meanwhile, the Dark Lord has interrogated the Princess to see what she knows of the plan against the Empire. The Princess finally breaks when her home kingdom is threatened with distruction, and reveals where some troops are hidden. The Dark Lord destroys the Primcess' kingdom anyways.

The Hero, the Pirate, the General, and the rest arrive at the Princess' kingdom to discover it destroyed. The Pirate's ship is captured, but everyone is able to remain hidden while the ship is taken to the Dark Lord's base to be searched. A rescue is performed to release the princess, but the exiled General is killed by the Dark Lord.

Our Heroes excape to the real hidden base, but the Dark Lord's troops follow. A huge final battle takes place, where the Hero, with the help of the Pirate Captain defeats the Dark Lord.

So, where was this story set? Feudal Europe? Ancient China? Modern Day? Or in a galaxy, far, far away?

It doesn't matter. What matters is how the author presents the characters, and how they change (or don't, in Belkar's case).

Ron Miel
2013-11-14, 10:20 PM
I think Julio is much more Han Solo than Obi-Wan. He's an outlaw with a ship full of tricks, hired to transport the hero, who then gets caught up in the storyh. And he calls Elan 'kid.'

Lissou
2013-11-16, 03:20 AM
Why would Leia be Haley? Elan already has a twin he wasn't aware of due to being separated at birth. He doesn't need someone else to fill that role.

I'd see Haley more as a female version of Han.

Unisus
2013-11-16, 03:33 AM
Well, Luke kisses Leia in one movie, doesn't he?

Not exactly - she kisses him, and it's just because of Han.

Lissou
2013-11-16, 03:50 AM
Not exactly - she kisses him, and it's just because of Han.

Some people have interpreted it as her telling Han "I'd rather kiss my own brother". Point is, the kiss didn't mean anything other than "look, I'm kissing someone who isn't you"

Dumbledore lives
2013-11-16, 04:02 AM
Well I for one remember an Iron Avatarist from quite a while ago. I'd give credit but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be labeled.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll278/Dumbledore13A/StickWars_zps99b88f12.png (http://s290.photobucket.com/user/Dumbledore13A/media/StickWars_zps99b88f12.png.html)

ti'esar
2013-11-16, 04:14 PM
While that picture does a really good job of imitating the Giant's style, some of those character choices seem a little... dubious.

Some people have interpreted it as her telling Han "I'd rather kiss my own brother". Point is, the kiss didn't mean anything other than "look, I'm kissing someone who isn't you"

Well, she obviously didn't know he was her brother (and don't give me that "somehow I've always known" nonsense), but yeah, it's pretty clearly just meant to make a point to Han.

Synesthesy
2013-11-17, 07:47 AM
However, there are also some Star Wars references that aren't about Elan-Tarquin story, like when Hayley called Evil V "Darth Vaarsuvius"

hamishspence
2013-11-17, 07:51 AM
Meanwhile, the Dark Lord has interrogated the Princess to see what she knows of the plan against the Empire. The Princess finally breaks when her home kingdom is threatened with distruction, and reveals where some troops are hidden. The Dark Lord destroys the Princess' kingdom anyways.

I would have put it as

"reveals the location of a previous hidden fortress- which has been abandoned for some time"

- but the basic point is sound.

martianmister
2013-11-17, 05:55 PM
From Tarquin's point-of-view:

Elan = Luke Skywalker
Tarquin = Anakin/Darth Vader
Former Mrs. Tarquin = Padme Amidala
Haley = Han Solo
Belkar = Jar Jar Binks
Durkon = Lando Calrissian
Roy = Wedge Antilles
Vaarsuvius = Chewbacca
Blackwing = C-3PO
Mr. Scruffy = R2-D2
Malack = Wilhuff Tarkin
Laurin = Tiaan Jerjerrod
Miron = Firmus Piett
Jacinda = Darth Maul
Nale = Greedo
Xykon = Jabba the Hutt
Redcloak = Bib Fortuna
MitD = Sarlacc
Sabine = Jabba's slave girl
Zz'dtri = Jabba's other slave girl (!)
Thog = Jabba's thug
Shojo = Yoda
Miko = Mace Windu
Hinjo = Leia
Julio = Obi-Wan Kenobi
O-Chul = Qui-Gon Jinn
Lien = Ahsoka
Empress = Nute Gunray
Gannji = Boba Fett
Enor = IG-88
Kilkil = Cassio Tagge

Emanick
2013-11-17, 06:12 PM
From Tarquin's point-of-view:

Elan = Luke Skywalker
Tarquin = Anakin/Darth Vader
Former Mrs. Tarquin = Padme Amidala
Haley = Han Solo
Belkar = Jar Jar Binks
Durkon = Lando Calrissian
Roy = Wedge Antilles
Vaarsuvius = Chewbacca
Blackwing = C-3PO
Mr. Scruffy = R2-D2
Malack = Wilhuff Tarkin
Laurin = Tiaan Jerjerrod
Miron = Firmus Piett
Jacinda = Darth Maul
Nale = Greedo
Xykon = Jabba the Hutt
Redcloak = Bib Fortuna
MitD = Sarlacc
Sabine = Jabba's slave girl
Zz'dtri = Jabba's other slave girl (!)
Thog = Jabba's thug
Shojo = Yoda
Miko = Mace Windu
Hinjo = Leia
Julio = Obi-Wan Kenobi
O-Chul = Qui-Gon Jinn
Lien = Ahsoka
Empress = Nute Gunray
Gannji = Boba Fett
Enor = IG-88
Kilkil = Cassio Tagge

Great, now I'm picturing Sabine and Zz'dtri as Xykon's slave girls and Haley and Hinjo as a married couple. Thanks for ruining my night, martinmister. :smalltongue:

Faramir
2013-11-17, 06:18 PM
Oh, come on, that's impossible. Haley is obviously the daughter of Right Eye, reincarnated as a human girl, so she can't be Tarquin's daughter. :smallwink:

On the other hand...there must be a reason Ian Starshine hates Tarquin so much...what if Tarquin boned Ian's wife? :smalltongue:

Or more likely - wives.

Lissou
2013-11-18, 01:55 AM
Not that it matters at all, mind you, but I find those comparisons... confusing disturbing, to say the least.

Fixed that for you.

rodneyAnonymous
2013-11-18, 03:37 AM
From Tarquin's point-of-view...

Nice! A lot of thought went into that.

Jay R
2013-11-18, 11:53 AM
If all this is true, then Luke's speeder (which he had to abandon to travel with Obi-wan) is a giant wooden alpaca filled with potato salad.

Don't take a literary reference further than the author did.

Joe the Rat
2013-11-18, 01:50 PM

Elan = Leia
Durkon = R2-D2
So that means Haley = Han. Works for me! :smallcool:

If all this is true, then Luke's speeder (which he had to abandon to travel with Obi-wan) is a giant wooden alpaca filled with potato salad.

Don't take a literary reference further than the author did.

Bah, if Death of the Author Striking Down the Author, So He or She Can Become More Powerful Than You Can Imagine can be claimed for meaning, I don't see any reason why it can't be attributed to references as well.

Besides, I find how people interpret ambiguous stimuli to be quite informative.
(Scribble scribble)

Sir_Leorik
2013-11-18, 03:40 PM
Okay, someone with a great love of "Star Wars" and an unhealthy knowledge of the Expanded Universe needs to come in and "bring balance" to this debate. And I see no reason that someone shouldn't be me. :smallbiggrin:

Elan is currently playing the role of Luke, with Tarquin as Vader, Julio Scoundrel as Obi-Wan, and Banjo as R2. But this conflict is causing a disturbance in the plot, since there's another conflict going on at the same time, one where Roy seeks to avenge the murder of his father's mentor, Fyron Pucebuckle. That makes Roy Luke Skywalker, and it makes Xykon the Emperor and Redcloak Darth Vader. Elan becomes Han, Haley becomes Leia, Durkon becomes Chewie, Vaarsuvius becomes C-3PO and Belkar becomes R2-D2, since he's short and has a snarky attitude.

Tarquin thus becomes Jabba the Hutt, Julio Scoundrel becomes Lando Calrissian (here to help save "Han" from "Jabba") and all is right with the Galaxy. :smalltongue:

Jay R
2013-11-19, 01:07 AM

Elan = Leia
Durkon = R2-D2

:elan:: Awwww, man! I didn't know *I* was gonna be the girl! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0590.html)

ReaderAt2046
2013-11-19, 07:04 AM
... Haley Leia,
... Durkon Chewbacca,
... Roy Solo,
... V C3PO
and Belkar R2D2??

Haley wouldn't be Leia, she'd be Mara Jade (redhead whom Luke ends up marrying in the EU).

Venedlor
2013-11-19, 12:54 PM
Okay, someone with a great love of "Star Wars" and an unhealthy knowledge of the Expanded Universe needs to come in and "bring balance" to this debate. And I see no reason that someone shouldn't be me. :smallbiggrin:

Elan is currently playing the role of Luke, with Tarquin as Vader, Julio Scoundrel as Obi-Wan, and Banjo as R2. But this conflict is causing a disturbance in the plot, since there's another conflict going on at the same time, one where Roy seeks to avenge the murder of his father's mentor, Fyron Pucebuckle. That makes Roy Luke Skywalker, and it makes Xykon the Emperor and Redcloak Darth Vader. Elan becomes Han, Haley becomes Leia, Durkon becomes Chewie, Vaarsuvius becomes C-3PO and Belkar becomes R2-D2, since he's short and has a snarky attitude.

Tarquin thus becomes Jabba the Hutt, Julio Scoundrel becomes Lando Calrissian (here to help save "Han" from "Jabba") and all is right with the Galaxy. :smalltongue:

EU eh...
Elan: Ganner Rhysode (Tries to be a hero, fails, then becomes one and gets his happy ending)
Roy: Anakin Solo (BAMF)
Haily: Jaina Solo (When she ran the azure city resistance)
Belkar: Jacen Solo (We all know B started evil so think of Jacen in reverse) [You could also throw Kip Durron as Belkar during the AC resistance]
Vaarsuvius: Tahiri Veila (Grasping as straws here. Good-> evil -> good, yet has to pay for their past transgressions)
Durkon: Raynar Thul (Was good, went evil, came back good all due to an outside force that he could not fight)

Julio: Han Solo (Duh)
Tarquin: Thrackin Sal-Solo (the real arch nemesis of Han who thinks he holds power. Boba Fett only saw him as a job.)
Xykon: Darth Krayt (Holds real power and has been around for hundreds of years)
Redcloak:Darth Wyyrlok (Darth Krayt's right hand man)

Procyonpi
2013-11-19, 02:07 PM
... Haley Leia,

What do you think this is, Game of Thrones?

Souhiro
2013-11-22, 09:05 AM
I think that

... Haley is Leia: She's THE ONLY FEMALE
... and Durkon is Chewbacca: Both of them are RELIEABLE

... Roy? Roy would be Mon Mothma: Han is fun, he is comical when he has to be, and he's A PRO. Roy isn't fun. He's the guy launching orders and frowning.
... V? V is more R2D2: They are the most competent, powerful and EVERYTHING. But nobody understand them. Also: C3P0 is "male" (an android, instead of a gynoid) But R2D2? Ambiguosly gendered!!
... Belkar Bitterleaf? He's a YAUJTA, he's a PREDATOR, or even better: A PREDALIEN.

Breccia
2013-11-22, 09:21 AM
Wait, I've got one!

Teleporting Azure City wizard guy = the Ton-Ton from Hoth Han slices open

a) they both are involved in transportation
b) they're from the middle of the sage (but what about Episodes 1, 2 and--) I said MIDDLE OF THE SAGA where the good guys take one on the chin and lose
c) they both leave the party stranded, but somehow inexplicably fine the next time we see them
d) their deaths save the day, and
e) we never learn their names!

Geordnet
2013-11-22, 09:53 AM
You've forgotten the other reference at the end of this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0390.html).

Tarquin/Elan/Julio definitely fit into the Vader/Luke/Kenobi mold, but as for the rest of the characters... IMO, it isn't worth trying to fit them into Star Wars roles they weren't designed for, since this story is NOT Star Wars.

Jay R
2013-11-23, 01:14 PM
Leia is Luke's twin. For that reason, I suggest that this game cannot work.

Scow2
2013-11-23, 06:38 PM

Tarquin thus becomes Jabba the Hutt, Julio Scoundrel becomes Lando Calrissian (here to help save "Han" from "Jabba") and all is right with the Galaxy. :smalltongue:Actually, you have Xykon and Redcloak's roles backward. Xykon is Darth Vader, Redcloak is the Emperor. It was Vader who killed was Luke's father's mentor.

sengmeng
2013-12-09, 06:40 PM
No one else thinks "hand chopped off by your own father" is another reference? Just me? Ok then.

Kish
2013-12-09, 06:46 PM
Is it a reference? Yes.

Is Rich claiming a parallel between Darth and Tarquin? At this point, I'd say pretty confidently "No." It's Tarquin making a reference: he plans on cutting off Elan's hand because Darth did that to Luke.