PDA

View Full Version : Heroic Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground II

RFLS
2013-11-13, 08:29 PM
Welcome, contestants, judges, and guests to the second Heroic Chef. This optimization challenge revolves around best representing various superheroes with 3.5 mechanics.

Contestants: You will need to present a write-up of your build at at least one of the following points: 5th level, 10th level, 15th, 20th, and a "sweet spot" that you feel is the high point of the build, as well as presenting a fully-fleshed out 20-level build in the table below. Feel free to present as many of these as you like, and please give a rundown of the build's abilities and playability at all of the levels you didn't show. The rules are as follows:

Menu: Generally, the "Secret Ingredient" will be drawn from Marvel or DC. However, suggestions are always welcome, and there may occasionally be heroes drawn from other sources.

32 point-buy is the presumed creation method, but we will generally allow other levels of point-buy.
If you do use a different point-buy, please make your case for its necessity in your entry. Keep in mind that for using exceptionally large or small point-buys may warrant deductions in elegance and/or power.

Kitchen: Competitors will be free to use any official 3.5 rulebook in constructing their builds. Dragon magazine is disallowed, and Unearthed Arcana is allowed; but see Elegance below. Web-exclusive 3.0 or 3.5 materials by WotC are expressly allowed, but take care to verify that an updated version did not appear in print elsewhere, as this may cause an Elegance deduction at the judges' discretion. Alternate rule systems from UA such as gestalt and LA buyoff are not allowed, as they create a different playing field.

Cooking Time: Contestants will have until 11:59 PM GMT on Saturday, Novemeber 30th, 2013 to create their builds and PM them to the Chairman, RFLS. Builds will then be posted simultaneously, to avoid copying. Judges will have until 11:59 PM GMT on Friday, December 13th, 2013 to judge the builds and submit their scores. If no judges have scored by that point, only the scores of the first judge to submit will be counted.

Judging: Judging will be based on the following criteria, with each build rated from 1 (very poor) to 5 (exemplary) in each area: Originality, Power, Elegance, Accuracy.

Power level is up to you. Cheese is acceptable, but should be kept to a sane level unless you're showcasing a new TO build you've discovered. In the words of one of my predecessors, a little cheddar can be nice, but avoid the mature Gruyere unless you're making a cheese fondue.
Elegance could bear a little elaboration. It basically measures how skillfully you put your build together, and whether you sacrificed flavor for power. We're cooking here - if your dish doesn't taste good, it doesn't matter how well-presented it is. Use of flaws is an automatic loss of one point per flaw in this category. Other things that will cause lost points here are excessive multiclassing, and classes that don't fit the concept - using Cloistered Cleric in a front-line melee fighter, for example, will lose you points. Please note the following: a legal source's relative obscurity should not be considered as penalizing Elegance, excepting the aforementioned issues with Unearthed Arcana. Using too many sources may be an Elegance deduction at the judges' discretion, but a book's relative obscurity may not.
Presentation: Builds will be posted anonymously, in order to avoid the potential of bias towards a particular competitor. For this reason, please don't put your name in the build, as I'm likely to miss it when reviewing the entries!

Due to concerns about standardizing entry format, I'd like everyone to try to use the following table for their entry.NAME OF ENTRY
{table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

2nd|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

3rd|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

4th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

5th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

6th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

7th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

8th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

9th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

10th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

11th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

12th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

13th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

14th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

15th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

16th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

17th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

18th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

19th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

20th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities[/table]

CodeNAME OF ENTRY
{table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

2nd|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

3rd|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

4th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

5th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

6th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

7th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

8th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

9th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

10th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

11th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

12th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

13th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

14th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

15th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

16th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

17th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

18th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

19th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

20th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities[/table]

For entries with spellcasting, use the following table for Spells per day and Spells Known. (Spells Known only if necessary, i.e. Sorcerer or Bard, but not Wizard or Warmage)Spells per day/Spells Known
{table=head]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

11th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

12th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

13th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

14th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

15th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

16th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

17th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

18th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

19th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

20th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-[/table]

CodeSpells per day/Spells Known

1st|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

11th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

12th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

13th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

14th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

15th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

16th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

17th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

18th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

19th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

20th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-[/table]

For other systems (Psionics, ToB, Incarnum, etc.) keep track of PP/maneuvers/essentia separately, preferably in a nice neat list.
Speculation: Please don't post or speculate on possible builds until the "reveal," in order to avoid spoiling the surprise if a particular competitor is producing a build along those lines.

So! Who wants to sign up as a contestant, and who wants to sign up as a judge? Looking for as many contestants and judges as feel like playing!

This month's Heroic Ingredient is.....Captain Marvel (aka Shazam) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Marvel_(DC_Comics))!

We will award 1st through 3rd places, as well as a shout-out for honorable mention. The honorable mention prize is given to the most daring or unexpected build. Judges, contestants and guests alike are invited to vote for honorable mention via PM.

Allez, optimiser!

Contestants

Judges

Heroic Chef I

Tim Proctor
2013-11-13, 08:33 PM
I will compete.

relytdan
2013-11-13, 09:10 PM
well after reading the linked info I think I may build.

dysprosium
2013-11-13, 10:43 PM
Mr Chairman you should change those dates for the contest--they are the same as the first one.

Not as well versed in DC as I am in Marvel. Hmmmmm . . .

I will most likely participate one way or the other.

RFLS
2013-11-13, 11:10 PM
Mr Chairman you should change those dates for the contest--they are the same as the first one.

Woops - fixed.

RFLS
2013-11-14, 10:06 AM
So, what does the Playground think of Shazam as a Heroic Ingredient?

Tim Proctor
2013-11-14, 10:07 AM
So, what does the Playground think of Shazam as a Heroic Ingredient?
I think it has more powers and abilities than Deadpool and is going to require some seriously creative thinking.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-11-14, 10:23 AM
I think that it's too bad that Rich Burlew's Champion Class isn't valid - it's pretty much designed to do exactly this.

dysprosium
2013-11-14, 11:14 AM
I think that it's too bad that Rich Burlew's Champion Class isn't valid - it's pretty much designed to do exactly this.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

RFLS
2013-11-15, 11:55 AM

Yeah... I'm kinda wondering if I picked one that's just too hard. I'd be curious to see what someone like, well, you, or Amph, or any of the other old hands could do with Shazam.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-11-15, 11:59 AM
Yeah... I'm kinda wondering if I picked one that's just too hard. I'd be curious to see what someone like, well, you, or Amph, or any of the other old hands could do with Shazam.

Wait, I'm an old hand? Nice.:smallbiggrin:

Yeah, I've been trying to cook something up, but I don't feel as if I've quite managed it. I mean, I can do [REDACTED], [REDACTED] and [REDACTED], but it doesn't quite feel like it's right, you know?

A Tad Insane
2013-11-15, 12:19 PM
Well, if I remember correctly, the guy could beat the living daylight (literally) out of superman, so this will be very interesting

Tim Proctor
2013-11-15, 12:25 PM
Well, if I remember correctly, the guy could beat the living daylight (literally) out of superman, so this will be very interesting
To my knowledge he lost 2 times to Superman, 1st to copyright infringement and 2nd because Shazam ended up getting himself shot by his own lightning and turned back into the little boy which Superman then spanked.

dysprosium
2013-11-15, 12:52 PM
I have an idea here that could possibly work. I'll have to keep real life at bay in order to think it through.

But Shazam is one of those heroes that can physically go toe to toe with Superman (at least for a little while like in Kingdom Come).

Tim Proctor
2013-11-16, 03:18 PM
Well I got my submitted, I hope to see a lot of competitors this round.

relytdan
2013-11-18, 08:26 PM
should see a few I would hope

dysprosium
2013-11-18, 09:16 PM
Well now that my Iron Chef build has been entered I should be able to get my idea to work.

SHAZAM!

Muggins
2013-11-22, 06:27 AM
I was reading the Wikipedia page, and saw this:

Hercules' power grants Shazam/Captain Marvel immense superhuman strength, making him one of DC Comics' strongest characters; he is able to easily bend steel, punch through walls, and lift massive objects, (including whole continents like South America). In the comics, this strength has evolved in parallel to that of Superman.

What. :smallannoyed:

dysprosium
2013-11-22, 10:52 AM
I read that too and just thought about how ludircous a sight like that would be.

I imagine something like he picks up South America at the "bottom" in southern Chile and uses the continent like a baseball bat swatting an asteroid away from hitting the Earth.

Vincent Dragon
2013-11-23, 12:41 AM
Yeah, Comics Super-Heroes/Villains are like War Hulking Hurler, Pun Pun (okay, nothing is like PunPun) and some other theorical optimization characters.

There are situations where planets get destroyed (like Dragon Ball Z), or one situation i remember of Superman and the Green Lantern together sucefully lifting our lovely planet Earth.

relytdan
2013-11-25, 02:02 PM
well I will be the first to say until this poped up for a challenge I honestly never heard of captain marvel - granted I have read my share of comic books but never had seen this character

relytdan
2013-11-29, 05:26 PM
can't wait to see what others have done for this with just 1 day left

Kuulvheysoon
2013-11-29, 08:30 PM
Yeah... I lost all of my notes for this Competition.

I'll try to recreate them, but no promises.

If I don't get one in, I'll reveal my plan after RFLS unveils all of the entries.

Tim Proctor
2013-11-29, 08:33 PM
Yeah... I lost all of my notes for this Competition.

I'll try to recreate them, but no promises.

If I don't get one in, I'll reveal my plan after RFLS unveils all of the entries.
I'd vote for a small extension so Kuulvheysoon can get his build in. I'd be more than alright in waiting a little bit since this competition is smaller than the IC at this point.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-11-29, 10:56 PM
I'd vote for a small extension so Kuulvheysoon can get his build in. I'd be more than alright in waiting a little bit since this competition is smaller than the IC at this point.

No need - Apparently, my girlfriend just grabbed them and put them with my DMing papers.

Women, amiright?

I'll put it in a table tonight and get it submitted in the next 20ish hours, no worry.

dysprosium
2013-11-29, 10:58 PM
No need - Apparently, my girlfriend just grabbed them and put them with my DMing papers.

Women, amiright?

My wife does the same thing . . .

Tim Proctor
2013-11-29, 11:12 PM
Yeah, my wife won't touch anything with D&D on it, not with a 20-ft pole. Its a good and bad thing.

RFLS
2013-11-30, 12:26 AM
Attention

All applicants that have submitted a build need to resubmit it. I have been having computer troubles that resulted in the saved applications being lost, and have cleared my inbox of all of the applications I've received (I DM many games, and receive a lot of PMs). I apologize for the inconvenience.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-11-30, 12:58 AM
...I just submitted. Am I okay?

dysprosium
2013-11-30, 01:14 AM
And people say that procrastination doesn't have any positives.

RFLS
2013-11-30, 01:24 AM
...I just submitted. Am I okay?

You're good, yeah. I'm being lenient for this round, as I managed to lose the submissions.

dysprosium
2013-11-30, 01:37 AM
And people say that procrastination doesn't have any positives.

I have submitted my entry Mr Chairman.

RFLS
2013-11-30, 01:43 AM
I have submitted my entry Mr Chairman.

Yup. I have 3 entries now. I'll be extending the deadline another 24 hours to make sure I get all of them - I wouldn't want to screw someone over because of my mistake.

LordotheMorning
2013-11-30, 03:42 AM
I don't think the link to the previous contest is currently working. Any chance of a quick fix?

relytdan
2013-11-30, 07:53 AM
ok I resubmitted let me know you got it.

relytdan
2013-12-01, 07:11 PM
11:59 PM GMT on Saturday, Novemeber 30th, 2013
was the old that was extended 24 hours...
RFLS - has this been extended more or ?
current :
12:10 AM Monday, December 2, 2013 (GMT)

Kuulvheysoon
2013-12-01, 07:33 PM
11:59 PM GMT on Saturday, Novemeber 30th, 2013
was the old that was extended 24 hours...
RFLS - has this been extended more or ?
current :
12:10 AM Monday, December 2, 2013 (GMT)

Dude, chill- apparently, Thanksgiving is a Big Deal in the States (which confuses me to no end). It'll probably be posted in a couple of hours, after dinner and the necessary formalities are taken care of.

Tim Proctor
2013-12-01, 08:19 PM
Dude, chill- apparently, Thanksgiving is a Big Deal in the States (which confuses me to no end). It'll probably be posted in a couple of hours, after dinner and the necessary formalities are taken care of.

But the suspense is maddening.

The important question is did the Chairman get all the builds that were lost? It being Thanksgiving weekend there is a decent chance of someone not checking the forum. I think if there were 8 entries and only 4 made it in then an extension for another 24 to 48 hours maybe be useful.

relytdan
2013-12-01, 08:24 PM
wasn't saying that an extension was not needed as it clearly was, what I was mearly asking if it was extended further and commented with current time date..

RFLS
2013-12-01, 11:19 PM
Attention

First, apologies for the delay - real life reached up and smacked me, and I had completely blanked on this thread for a while.

Secondly, I have received all of the builds, as far as I'm aware. However, if you have not resubmitted your build to me, here is what you need to do:

Do not say anything in this thread.
Send your build to me. It will be posted ASAP, and I will ask the judges to consider it. This extension goes until the 5th.

Finally, the builds I have are incoming. Please refrain from posting in this thread until I have finished posting them. Thank you.

RFLS
2013-12-01, 11:22 PM
William Baston - Shazam, Gish Extraordinaire

Human Battle Sorcerer 7/Abjurant Champion 3/Master Transmogrifist 10

Description:

What I attempted to do with this build is capture Captain Marvel/Shazam in a D&D character and the main things here were to have a person that could transform into something that was high-stated, looked human, really tough, and had a whole bunch of abilities. The abilities like was taken from this place (http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/William_Batson_(New_Earth)) and it features the New Earth version. Like most comic characters some of the traits can change. Below is a table to highlight the powers and how they are matched.

{table=head]Power | Abilities to match
Accelerated Healing | Regen 1, Fast Healing 10/3, Healing Devotion, Minor Shapeshift
Clairvoyance: | Ancient Knowledge, Comprehend Languages, Tongues, Legend Lore
Divine Grace: | Exalted feats, Alter Fortune
Eidetic Memory | Ancient Knowledge, Comprehend Languages, Tongues, Legend Lore
Magic Resistance | Spell Resistance 25/Immunity to Magic
Flight: | Fly, Swift and Fly (Player's Handbook v.3.5, p. 232)
Healing Others: | Healing Devotion
Indomitable Will: | Mind Shielding, Construct Traits, high Will
Invulnerability | High AC, Damage Reduction, Minor Shapeshift (20 temp hp a round), Construct traits, Resistance, High HP, etc.
Lightning | Storm Bolt, lightning bolt, lightning leap, chain lightning
Multilingualism | With permenancy and tongues and comprehend languages he reads and writes all languages.
Self-Sustenance: | Greater sustenance
Smooth Talker | 30 charisma should be enough to qualify.
Superhuman Speed: | Celerity, Lesser, teleportation abilities, lightning leap.
Superhuman Reflexs | Celerity, Lesser
Superhuman Stamina | In one form the Con is - and the other 31, so either way he's not getting tired anytime soon.
Superhuman Strength | In one form his strength is 35 and the other 44, while that isn't enough to life up South Africa he can bend bars, and such.
Teleportation: | Benign Transposition, Dimension Hop, Dimension Leap, Dimension Door, Teleport,
Transformation: | Alter Self, Polymorph, Draconic Polymoprh, Polymoprh Any Object, Shapechanger type, Master Transmogrifist [/table]
Note: lightning wasn't on the wikia sheet however its a really important part of Shazam so it was made a main stay.

Thematically he can sudden/still transform but with unlimited Storm Bolts and Holy Radiance he can make it thunder down near him and a flash of light while he yells Shazam and then stands a guy that looks exactly like this (thanks to alter self at will):
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070820132038/marvel_dc/images/thumb/5/5f/Trials_of_Shazam_1_%28textless%29.jpg/200px-Trials_of_Shazam_1_%28textless%29.jpg

Two forms are listed below because of an issue with PaO, while Wizards says it can gain constructs (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040601a) some of the rulings are little more sketchy on it. Moreover the question was what happens if the spell runs out (although it would expire once every 2-weeks).

Build:

{table=head]Level | Class | Base Attack Bonus | Fort Save | Ref Save | Will Save | Skills | Feats: | Class/Vow Features: | Notes

1st | Battle Sorcerer (SRD) |
0 |
0 |
0 |
2 |
Concentation 4, Knowledge (arcana) 4, Spellcraft 4 | Sacred Vow (Human), Vow of Poverty (Level 1) | Metamagic Specialist (PHB 2, p 61), AC bonus +4 |

2nd | Battle Sorcerer |[center] 1 |
0 |
0 |
3 |[center] Bluff 2, Concentation 4, Knowledge (arcana) 4, Spellcraft 4 | | Nymph's Kiss (BoED p. 44) |

3rd | Battle Sorcerer |
2 |
1 |
1 |
3 |[center] Bluff 2, Concentation 4, Disguise 2, Knowledge (arcana) 4, Spellcraft 4 | Combat Casting (SRD) | AC bonus +5, endure elements |

4th | Battle Sorcerer |
3 |
1 |
1 |
4 |[center] Bluff 2, Concentation 4, Disguise 4, Knowledge (arcana) 4, Spellcraft 4 | | Exalted strike +1 (magic), Intuitive Attack (BoED p. 44) |

5th | Battle Sorcerer |
3 |
1 |
1 |
4 |[center] Bluff 2, Concentation 5, Disguise 5, Knowledge (arcana) 4, Spellcraft 5 | | Abjurant Armor, Extended Abjuration , Sustenance |

6th | Battle Sorcerer |
4 |
2 |
2 |
5 |[center] Bluff 2, Concentation 7, Disguise 5, Knowledge (arcana) 6, Spellcraft 6 | Storm Bolt (CM p. 47) | Swift Abjuration, AC bonus +6, deflection +1, Nimbus of Light (BoED p. 44) |

7th | Battle Sorcerer |
5 |
2 |
2 |
5 |
Bluff 2, Concentation 9, Disguise 5, Knowledge (arcana) 7, Spellcraft 7 | | Resistance +1, ability score enhancement +2 |

8th | Abjurant Champion (CM p. 50) |[center] 6 |
2 |
2 |
7 |[center] Bluff 2, Concentation 11, Disguise 5, Knowledge (arcana) 8, Spellcraft 8 | | Natural armor +1, mind shielding, Holy Radiance (BoED p. 44) |

9th | Abjurant Champion |
7 |
2 |
2 |
8 |[center] Bluff 2, Concentation 12, Disguise 5, Knowledge (arcana) 9, Spellcraft 10 | Eschew Materials (SRD) | AC bonus +7 |

10th | Abjurant Champion |
8 |
3 |
3 |
8 |[center] Bluff 2, Concentation 13, Disguise 5, Knowledge (arcana) 10, Spellcraft 12 | | Exalted strike +2 (good), damage reduction 5/magic, Touch of Golden Ice (BoED p. 47) |

11th | Master Transmogrifist (CA p. 51) |
8 |
3 |
3 |
10 |
Bluff 2, Concentation 14, Disguise 5, Knowledge (arcana) 11, Spellcraft 14 | | Ability score enhancement +4/+2 |

12th | Master Transmogrifist |[center] 9 |
3 |
3 |
11 |
Bluff 2, Concentation 15, Disguise 5, Knowledge (arcana) 13, Spellcraft 15 | Healing Devotion ( Complete Champion, p. 59) | AC bonus +8, deflection +2, greater sustenance, Blessed of the Seven Sisters (PGtG p. 176) |

13th | Master Transmogrifist |[center] 9 |
4 |
4 |
11 |[center] Bluff 2, Concentation 16, Disguise 5, Knowledge (arcana) 15, Spellcraft 16 | | Resistance +2, energy resistance 5 |

14th | Master Transmogrifist |
10 |
4 |
4 |
12 |[center] Bluff 2, Concentation 17, Disguise 5, Knowledge (arcana) 17, Spellcraft 17 | | Exalted strike +3, freedom of movement, Lliira's Blessing (PGtF p. 176) |

15th | Master Transmogrifist |
10 |
4 |
4 |
12 |[center] Bluff 2, Concentation 18, Disguise 5, Intimidate 1, Knowledge (arcana) 18, Spellcraft 18 | Minor Shapeshift (CM p. 45) | AC bonus +9, ability score enhancement +6/+4/+2, damage reduction 5/evil |

16th | Master Transmogrifist |
11 |
5 |
5 |
13 |[center] Bluff 2, Concentation 19, Disguise 5, Intimidate 2, Knowledge (arcana) 19, Spellcraft 19 | | Natural armor +2, Knight ot Tyr's Merciful Sword (Cov p. 33) |

17th | Master Transmogrifist |
11 |
5 |
5 |
13 |[center] Bluff 2, Concentation 20, Disguise 5, Intimidate 3, Knowledge (arcana) 20, Spellcraft 20 | | Exalted strike +4, resistance +3, regeneration |

18th | Master Transmogrifist |
12 |
5 |
5 |
14 |[center] Bluff 2, Concentation 21, Disguise 5, Intimidate 4, Knowledge (arcana) 21, Spellcraft 21 | Assume Supernatural Ability (SS p. 30) | AC bonus +10, deflection +3, true seeing, Servant of the Heavens (BoED p. 46) |

19th | Master Transmogrifist |
12 |
6 |
6 |
14 |[center] Bluff 2, Concentation 22, Craft (Justice) 2, Disguise 5, Intimidate 22, Knowledge (arcana) 22, Spellcraft 22 | | Ability score enhancement +8/+6/+4/+2, damage reduction 10/evil |

20th | Master Transmogrifist |
13 |
5 |
5 |
13 |[center] Bluff 2, Concentation 23, Craft (Justice) 3, Disguise 5, Intimidate 23, Knowledge (arcana) 23, Spellcraft 23 | | Exalted strike +5, energy resistance 15, Defender of the Homeland (CoVp. 28) | [/table]

Spells:

Spells Known
1st| 3 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | -

2nd| 4 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | -

3rd| 4 | 2 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | -

4th| 5 | 2 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | - | -

5th| 5 | 3 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | - | -

6th| 6 | 3 | 1 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | -

7th| 6 | 5 | 2 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | -

8th| 7 | 5 | 3 | 1 | 1 | - | - | - | - | -

9th| 7 | 5 | 4 | 2 | 1 | - | - | - | - | -

10th| 8 | 5 | 4 | 2 | 1 | 1 | - | - | - | -

11th| 8 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 1 | 1 | - | - | - | -

12th| 8 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 2 | 1 | - | - | - | -

13th| 8 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 2 | 1 | 1 | - | - | -

14th| 8 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 2 | 1 | 1 | - | - | -

15th| 8 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 1 | - | - | -

16th| 8 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 4 | 2 | 2 | 1 | - | -

17th| 8 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 4 | 2 | 2 | 1 | - | -

18th| 8 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 | - | -

19th| 8 | 6 | 6 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 1 | 1 | -

20th| 8 | 6 | 6 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 1 | 1 | - [/table]

Spells Per Day
1st| 5 | 2 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | -

2nd| 6 | 4 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | -

3rd| 6 | 5 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | -

4th| 6 | 6 | 3 | - | - | - | - | - | - | -

5th| 6 | 6 | 4 | - | - | - | - | - | - | -

6th| 6 | 6 | 5 | 3 | - | - | - | - | - | -

7th| 6 | 6 | 6 | 4 | - | - | - | - | - | -

8th| 6 | 6 | 6 | 5 | 3 | - | - | - | - | -

9th| 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 4 | - | - | - | - | -

10th| 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 5 | 3 | - | - | - | -

11th| 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 5 | 3 | - | - | - | -

12th| 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 4 | - | - | - | -

13th| 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 5 | 3 | - | - | -

14th| 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 5 | 3 | - | - | -

15th| 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 4 | - | - | -

16th| 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 5 | 3 | - | -

17th| 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 5 | 3 | - | -

18th| 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 4 | - | -

19th| 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 5 | 3 | -

20th| 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 6 | 5 | 3 | - [/table]

Level 1 spells:
Ancient Knowledge (Magic of Eberron, p. 94)
Benign Transposition (Miniatures Handbook, p. 34)
Comprehend Languages (Player's Handbook v.3.5, p. 212)
Cutting Hand (Spell Compendium, p. 57)
Hypnotism (Player's Handbook v.3.5, p. 242)
Protection from Evil (Player's Handbook v.3.5, p. 266)

Level 2 spells:
Alter Self (Player's Handbook v.3.5, p. 197)
Celerity, Lesser (Player's Handbook II)
Dimension Hop (Player's Handbook II)
Dimension Leap (Magic of Eberron, p. 95)
Fly, Swift (Complete Adventurer)
Heroics (Spell Compendium, p. 113)

Level 3 spells:
Alter Fortune (Player's Handbook II)
Fly (Player's Handbook v.3.5, p. 232)
Lightning Bolt (Player's Handbook v.3.5, p. 248)
Tongues (Player's Handbook v.3.5, p. 294)

Level 4 spells:
Dimension Door (Player's Handbook v.3.5, p. 221)
Orb of Electricity (Complete Arcane)
Polymorph (Player's Handbook v.3.5, p. 263)
Whelm, Mass (Player's Handbook II)

Level 5 spells:
Draconic Polymorph (Draconomicon)
Lightning Leap (Complete Mage)
Permanency (Player's Handbook v.3.5, p. 259)
Teleport (Player's Handbook v.3.5, p. 292)

Level 6 spells:
Legend Lore (Player's Handbook v.3.5, p. 246)
Chain Lightning (Player's Handbook v.3.5, p. 208)
Starmantle (Book of Exalted Deeds)

Level 7 spells:
Limited Wish (Player's Handbook v.3.5, p. 248)

Level 8 spells:
Polymorph Any Object (Player's Handbook v.3.5, p. 263)

Snapshots:

PaO: Marut
Size/Type: Medium*Construct*(Extraplanar,*Lawful)
Hit Dice: 8d8 + 3d10 + 10d4 + 80 (con) + 20 (construct) = 181
Initiative: 7
Speed: 30 ft.
Armor Class: 47 (+7 Dex, +17 natural, +3 deflection, +10 exalted), touch 30,*flat-footed*37
Base Attack/Grapple: 13/25
Attack: Slam*+36*(13 BAB, +6 Battle Mastery, + 12 Strength, +5 exalted) melee (1d3+12*plus*3d6*sonic*or*3d6*electricity)
Full Attack: 2*slams*+32/28*melee 1d3 +12 strength, +5 exalted,*plus*3d6*sonic*or*3d6*electricity
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Fists of thunder and lightning, Storm Bolt 6d6
Special Qualities: Construct traits,*damage reduction*15/chaotic 10/evil,*darkvision*60 ft., mind shielding, greater sustenance, freedom of movement, regeneration, fast healing*10,*low-light vision,*spell resistance*25, resistence 15 acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic energy, Minor Shapeshift, Extended Change, Favored Shape, Manifest Senses, Battle Mastery, Effortless Change, Shapechanger, Reflexive Change, Manifest Qualities, Infinite Variety, Abjurant Armor, Extended Abjuration.
Saves: Fort*+8, Ref*+15, Will*+19
Abilities: Str 35, Dex 24, Con*Ø, Int 14, Wis 19, Cha 30
Skills: Bluff 12, Concentation 23, Craft (Justice) 5, Disguise 15, Intimidate 33, Knowledge (arcana) 25, Spellcraft 25
Feats: Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Combat Casting, Storm Bolt, Eschew Materials, Avenging Strike, Minor Shapeshift, Assume Supernatural Ability.
Infinite Variety (Su): dex from Legendary Snake MMII pg 138, 24.
Fists of Thunder and Lightning (Su): A marut’s left fist delivers a loud thunderclap whenever it hits something, dealing an extra 3d6 points of sonic damage and causing the target to be deafened for 2d6 rounds (Fortitude DC 27 negates the deafness). Its right fist delivers a shock for an extra 3d6 points of electricity damage, and the flash of lightning causes the target to be blinded for 2d6 rounds (Fortitude DC 27 negates the blindness).

Notes: Alter shape to be medium and to look like Shazam

Draconic Polymorph: Firbolg
Size/Type: Medium Giant
Hit Dice: 8d8 + 3d10 + 10d4 + 80 (con) = 161
Initiative: 1
Speed: 30 ft
Armor Class: 36 (+1 Dex, +12 natural, +3 deflection, +10 exalted)
Base Attack/Grapple: 13/30
Attack: Slam +41 (13 BAB, +6 Battle Mastery, + 17 Strength, +5 exalted) damage 1d3 + 22
Full Attack: 2 slams +37/33 damage 1d3 + 22
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Rock throwing, trample, Storm bolt 6d6
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., fast healing 3, rock catching, DR 10/evil, mind shielding, greater sustenance, freedom of movement, regeneration, resistence 15 acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic energy, Minor Shapeshift, Extended Change, Favored Shape, Manifest Senses, Battle Mastery, Effortless Change, Shapechanger, Reflexive Change, Manifest Qualities, Infinite Variety, Abjurant Armor, Extended Abjuration. Immunity to Magic (Ex): A will-o’-wisp is immune to most spells or spell-like abilities that allow spell resistance, except magic missile and maze.
Saves: Fort*+16, Ref*+9, Will*+19
Abilities: Str 44, Dex 13, Con 31, Int 14, Wis 19, Cha 30
Skills: Bluff 12, Concentation 23, Craft (Justice) 5, Disguise 15, Intimidate 33, Knowledge (arcana) 25, Spellcraft 25
Feats: Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Combat Casting, Storm Bolt, Eschew Materials, Avenging Strike, Minor Shapeshift, Assume Supernatural Ability.
Infinite Variety (Su): Will o-Wisp - Immunity to Magic (Ex): A will-o’-wisp is immune to most spells or spell-like abilities that allow spell resistance, except magic missile and maze.

Notes: Alter shape to be medium and to look like Shazam

RFLS
2013-12-01, 11:23 PM
SHAZAM!

LG male changeling sorceror 6/monk 1/war weaver 5/spellguard of silverymoon 4/recaster 4

1st|Sorceror 1|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Concentration 4, Craft (weaving) 4, Knowledge (arcana) 4, Spellcraft 4|Combat Casting|Divine CompanionCC

2nd|Sorceror 2|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Concentration 5, Craft (weaving) 5, Knowledge (arcana) 5, Spellcraft 5||

3rd|Sorceror 3|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Concentration 6, Craft (weaving) 6, Knowledge (arcana) 6, Spellcraft 6|Enlarge Spell|

4th|Sorceror 4|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Concentration 7, Craft (weaving) 7, Knowledge (arcana) 7, Spellcraft 7||+1 to Dexterity

5th|Sorceror 5|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Concentration 8, Craft (weaving) 8, Knowledge (arcana) 8, Spellcraft 8||

6th|Sorceror 6|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Concentration 9, Craft (weaving) 9, Knowledge (arcana) 9, Spellcraft 9|Energy Substitution (Electricity)|

7th|Overwhelming AttackUA Monk 1|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+7|Balance 5, Concentration 10|Improved Unarmed StrikeB, Power AttackB|Flurry of Blows, AC bonus

8th|War Weaver 1|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+9|Concentration 11, Knowledge (arcana) 10, Spellcraft 11||Eldritch tapestry, +1 to Charisma

9th|War Weaver 2|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+10|Concentration 12, Knowledge (arcana) 12, Spellcraft 12|Ascetic Mage|Quiescent weaving 1

10th|Spellguard of Silverymoon 1|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+12|Concentration 13, Knowledge (arcana) 13, Spellcraft 13, Spot 1||Attunement, obligation, ward token

11th|Spellguard of Silverymoon 2|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+13|Concentration 14, Knowledge (arcana) 14, Spellcraft 14, Spot 2|Extend SpellB|

12th|Spellguard of Silverymoon 3|
+5|
+5|
+5|
+13|Concentration 15, Knowledge (arcana) 15, Spellcraft 15, Spot 3|Rapid Metamagic|Selective spell, +1 to Charisma

13th|Spellguard of Silverymoon 4|
+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+14|Concentration 16, Knowledge (arcana) 16, Spellcraft 16, Spot 4|Invisible SpellB|Spellguard

14th|War Weaver 3|
+6/+1|
+6|
+6|
+14|Concentration 17, Craft (weaving) 10, Knowledge (arcana) 17, Spellcraft 17||Quiescent weaving 2

15th|War Weaver 4|
+7/+2|
+6|
+6|
+15|Concentration 18, Craft (weaving) 11, Knowledge (arcana) 18, Spellcraft 18|Arcane Strike|Quiescent Weaving 3

16th|War Weaver 5|
+7/+2|
+6|
+6|
+15|Concentration 19, Craft (weaving) 12, Knowledge (arcana) 19, Spellcraft 19||Quiescent Weaving 4, +1 to Charisma

17th|Recaster 1|
+7/+2|
+6|
+6|
+17|Concentration 20, Craft (weaving) 13, Knowledge (arcana) 20, Spellcraft 20||Metamorphic spell (components)

18th|Recaster 2|
+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+18|Concentration 21, Craft (weaving) 14, Knowledge (arcana) 21, Spellcraft 21|Extra Spell (Divine Power)|Expanded knowledge, sudden metamagic (widen)

19th|Recaster 3|
+8/+3|
+7|
+7|
+18|Concentration 22, Craft (weaving) 15, Knowledge (arcana) 22, Spellcraft 22||Metamorphic spell (time)

20th|Recaster 4|
+9/+4|
+7|
+7|
+19|Concentration 23, Craft (weaving) 16, Knowledge (arcana) 23, Spellcraft 23||Expanded Knowledge, sudden metamagic (extend), +1 to Charisma[/table]

You're a basic buffing arcane spellcaster for most of your career, albeit one with a truly ridiculous Will save. When you hit 16th level, however, things get interesting. You're a few levels below a typical spellcaster at this point, but you can load up on low-mid level buffing in your eldritch tapestry hours ahead of time and then trigger them all at the same time (move action, preferably granted with something along the lines of a Belt of Battle). The awesome thing about the Spellguard of Silverymoon's spellguard ability is that it can turn those awesome Personal range spells into Touch range (so long as they give you an AC bonus, save bonus or hit points (and yes, temporary count)). This could be abused further switching around some skills and taking the Magic of the Land feat (as a Flaw), but I chose not to go quite that far. The Recaster's Expanded Knowledge feature works exactly like the feat Extra Spell, giving you bonus spells off of any class's list.

SHAZAM!'s coolest mechanic (IMO) is his ability to 'power up' like Captain Marvel. Use an electricity-subbed (greater) fireburst, followed by a quick trigger of your eldritch tapestry, giving you BAB equal to your level, +6 to Strength, and three other low (level 5 or lower) buff spells, such as Ilyykur's mantle, GMW and greater mighty wallop. As a changeling, he can change his form, to change his "look" between Billy Baxton and SHAZAM!.

{table=head]*|Meaning|How it's represented
S|Wisdom of Solomon|owl's wisdom spell
H|Strength of Hercules|divine power spell
A|Stamina of Atlas|favour of the martyr + superior resistance spells
Z|Power of Zeus|Electricity sub (electric) feat for greater fireburst spell
A|Courage of Achilles|SHAZAM!'s truly prodigious Will Save, as well as mind blank.
M|Speed of Mercury|haste spell, obviously[/table]

Spells per day/Spells Known

1st|5|3|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|6|4|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|6|5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|6|6|3|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|6|6|4|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|6|6|5|3|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|6|6|5|3|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|6|6|5|3|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|6|6|6|4|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|6|6|6|5|3|-|-|-|-|-

11th|6|6|6|6|4|-|-|-|-|-

12th|6|6|6|6|5|3|-|-|-|-

13th|6|6|6|6|6|4|-|-|-|-

14th|6|6|6|6|6|5|3|-|-|-

15th|6|6|6|6|6|6|4|-|-|-

16th|6|6|6|6|6|6|5|3|-|-

17th|6|6|6|6|6|6|5|3|-|-

18th|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|4|-|-

19th|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|5|3|-

20th|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|4|-[/table]*Note: Spells per day table does not include bonus spells due to a high Charisma score.
mage armor, shield, grease, comprehend languages, protection from evil
knock, resist energy, heart of air, wings of cover, owl's wisdom
greater magic weapon, greater mighty wallop, haste, vampiric touch
Ilyykur's mantle, divine power*, favor of the martyr*, dimension door, heart of earth, shout
mage's sanctum, overland flight, contact other plane, greater fireburst
true seeing, superior resistance, contingency
limited wish, spell turning, greater teleport, holy word*
Greater celerity, mind blank
*Indicates spells that have been added independent of the Sorcerer's normal spell progression.
Note: Cantrips really, really don't matter to this build... at all. Hence they are not included.
Eberron Campaign Setting/MM3 (Changeling Race)
PHB (Sorceror, Monk, spells, feats, etc...)
Complete Champion (Divine Companion ACF)
Unearthed Arcana (Monk variant)
Complete Arcane (Energy Sub, Extra Spell feats)
Heroes of Battle (War Weaver)
Complete Adventurer (Ascetic Mage feat)
Complete Mage (Rapid Metamagic feat)
Player's Guide to Faerun (Spellguard of Silverymoon)
Races of Eberron (Recaster)
Spell Compendium (Spells spells spells)

RFLS
2013-12-01, 11:24 PM
Shazam Batson

NG Human Cloistered Cleric 10/ Death Delver 3/ Sacred Exorcist 4/ Serpent Slayer 3

Background

Background
Human
Medium
speed 30 ft
1 extra feat at 1st level
4 skill points at level 1, 1 per level after
Automatic Language: Common, Bonus Languages: Any

<<< Abilities of Captain Marvel >>>
*Immense superhuman strength *
graft: Silthilar Muscles Strength +2 (WBL 110,000)
strength potential(16+2+4+32+2+10)=66

Bite of the Werebear (Druid 6 -can be done with Miracle or wand)
You gain a
+16 enhancement bonus to Strength
+2 enhancement bonus to Dexterity
+8 enhancement bonus to Constitution
+7 enhancement bonus to natural armor

Greater Visage of the Deity
creature type changes to outsider
grow feathered wings that allow you to fly at twice your normal speed (good maneuverability).
gain +1 natural armor.
gain low-light vision.
gain resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and electricity 10.
gain immunity to disease.
gain a +4 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.
gain damage reduction 10/ magic.
gain spell resistance 25
gain the following bonuses to your ability scores: +4 Str, +2 Dex, +4 Con, +2 Int, +4 Wis, +4 Cha.

(Giant Size through Miracle or wand)
CL 19th, Colossal (72 ft.)
Str +32, dex –2, con +12, nat ac+12, ac/atk mod –8, space reach 30 ft./30 ft.

Holy Transformation LESSER
gain a +2 sacred bonus to Strength and Constitution.
gain a fly speed of 60 feet (good).
gain darkvision out to 60 feet
gain a +2 sacred bonus on saving throws
gain the ability to speak and understand Celestial.

<<cast holy Transformation Lesser first and overlay it with Giant Size, Greater Visage of the Deity, Bite of the Werebear>>

*Physical and magical invulnerability*
Sheltered Vitality
gains immunity to fatigue, exhaustion, and ability damage or ability drain (regardless of the source).

Death Ward from Death Delver
immune to all death spells, magical death effects, energy drain, and any negative energy effects

Favor of the martyr -through Miracle or wand
immunity to nonlethal damage, charm and compulsion effects, and attacks that function specifically by causing pain, such as the wrack spell
immune to effects that would cause it to be dazed, exhausted, fatigued, nauseated, sickened, staggered, or stunned

*can move at superhuman speeds and Flight*
fly at twice your normal speed (good) or fly speed of 60 feet (good)

Expeditious retreat
Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1 - can be done with Miracle or wand
increases your base land speed by 30 feet.

Haste
Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 3 - can be done with Miracle or wand
All of the modes of movement increase by 30 feet

*Vast wisdom and enhanced intellect*
overall knowledges and spells should cover this.

*Control over and emission of magic lightning*
Stormrage - gain immunity to thrown weapons and projectile ranged attacks. completely unaffected by natural or magical wind, not subject to other adverse effects of extreme wind. can discharge a bolt of electricity from your eyes once per round.

*read and decipher hieroglyphs*
read magic, Comprehend Languages

*great understanding of divine phenomena*
Knowledge Religion should cover this

*the ability to hypnotize people*
Hypnotism
Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1 - can be done with Miracle or wand

*can withstand and survive most types of extreme physical assaults, and heal from them*
damage reduction 10/ magic
Vigor grants fast healing 2

*he does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe*
Outsider does not need to eat, sleep ( it needs to breath )
Necklace of Adaptation (WBL 9,000) - immune to all harmful vapors and gases and allowing him to breathe, even underwater or in a vacuum <Space>

*grants him resistance against all magic spells and attacks*
Spell Resistance 25 or
Spell Resistance: gains spell resistance equal to 12 + your caster level

*restoring damage done to the hero*
Vigor grants fast healing 2

*Fuel for magic spells*
Turn/Rebuke undead & dragons ( Divine metamagic, Extend Spell, Persistant Spell )

*Immune to poison*
poison immunity from serpent slayer

Immune to fear effects of any kind from Death delver

*magic lightning bolt that transforms him into an adult superhero*
Call Lightning
Level: Druid 3 - can be done with Miracle or wand

Alter Self
Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 2 - can be done with Miracle or wand

Abilities
Abilities
32 point buy
Str 9 Dex 9 Con 9 Int 14 Wis 17 Cha 16
lvl 4 +1 wis
lvl 8 +1 cha
lvl 12 +1 wis
lvl 16 +1 cha
lvl 20 +1 str
Str 10 Dex 9 Con 9 Int 14 Wis 19 Cha 18
*with spells shown*
*Str 66 Dex 11 Con 33 Int 16 Wis 23 Cha 22*

Build
Effective Character Levels

1st|
Cloistered Cleric|0|2|0|2|Knowledge nature 4, Knowledge the planes 4, Knowledge religion 4, Knowledge history 4, spot 2, Heal 4, Concentration 4, Spellcraft 4, Diplomacy 4|Extra Turning, Extend Spell, Divine Metamagic, Persistent Spell |Rebuke Dragons ACF, Knowledge, Undeath & Planning Domains

2nd|
Cloistered Cleric|1|3|0|3|Knowledge the planes 5, Knowledge religion 5, Knowledge history 5, Concentration 5, Spellcraft 5, Heal 5, survival 1|-|-

3rd|
Cloistered Cleric|2|3|1|3|Knowledge the planes 6, Knowledge religion 6, Knowledge nature 5, Concentration 6, Spellcraft 6, Spot 3, survival 2|combat casting|-

4th|
Cloistered Cleric|3|4|1|4|Knowledge the planes 7, Knowledge religion 7, Knowledge nature 6, Concentration 7, Spellcraft 7, Heal 6, survival 3|-|-

5th|
Cloistered Cleric|3|4|1|4|Knowledge the planes 8, Knowledge religion 8, Knowledge history 6, Concentration 8, Spellcraft 8, Spot 4, survival 4|-|-

6th|
Cloistered Cleric|4|5|2|5|Knowledge the planes 9, Knowledge religion 9, Knowledge nature 7, Concentration 9, Spellcraft 9, Heal 7, survival 5|dodge|-

7th|
Cloistered Cleric|5|5|2|5|Knowledge the planes 10, Knowledge religion 10, Knowledge history 7, Concentration 10, Spellcraft 10, Spot 5, survival 6|-|-

8th|
Cloistered Cleric|6|6|2|6|Knowledge the planes 11, Knowledge religion 11, Knowledge history 8, Concentration 11, Spellcraft 11, Heal 8, survival 7|-|-

9th|
Cloistered Cleric|6|6|3|6|Knowledge the planes 12, Knowledge religion 12, Knowledge history 9, Concentration 12, Spellcraft 12, Heal 9, survival 8|mobility|-

10th|
Cloistered Cleric|7|7|3|7|Knowledge the planes 13, Knowledge religion 13, Knowledge history 10, Concentration 13, Spellcraft 13, Heal 10, survival 9|-|-

11th|
Death Delver|7|9|3|9|Knowledge the planes 14, Knowledge religion 14, Concentration 14, Spellcraft 14, survival 10|-|Deathsense, rebuke undead

12th|
Death Delver|8|10|3|10|Knowledge the planes 15, Knowledge religion 15, Concentration 15, Spellcraft 15, Gather Information 1|Customize Domain|Deadened soul, spontaneous casting

13th|
Death Delver|9|10|4|10|Knowledge the planes 16, Knowledge religion 16, Concentration 16, Spellcraft 16, Gather Information 2|-|Death ward 1/day

14th|
Sacred Exorcist|9|10|4|12|Knowledge the planes 17, Knowledge religion 17, Concentration 17, Spellcraft 17, Gather Information 3|-|Exorcism, turn undead

15th|
Sacred Exorcist|10|10|4|13|Knowledge the planes 18, Knowledge religion 18, Concentration 18, Spellcraft 18, Gather Information 4|Extraordinary Spell Aim|Detect evil, resist possession

16th|
Sacred Exorcist|11|11|5|13|Knowledge the planes 19, Knowledge religion 19, Concentration 19, Spellcraft 19, Gather Information 5|-|Chosen foe <undead> +1

17th|
Sacred Exorcist|12|11|5|14|Knowledge the planes 20, Knowledge religion 20, Concentration 20, Spellcraft 20, Gather Information 6|-|Dispel evil 1/week

18th|
Serpent Slayer|12|13|5|16|Knowledge the planes 21, Knowledge religion 21, Concentration 21, Spellcraft 21, Gather Information 7|Exotic WP Bastard Sword|venomguard

19th|
Serpent Slayer|13|14|5|17|Knowledge the planes 22, Knowledge religion 22, Concentration 22, Spellcraft 22, Gather Information 8|-|detect poison

20th|
Serpent Slayer|13|14|6|17|Knowledge the planes 23, Knowledge religion 23, Concentration 23, Spellcraft 23, Gather Information 9|-|poison immunity
[/table]

Level Breakdown

Level Breakdown
1: cloistered cleric going DMM persist
5: not much just gathering fuel for DMM
10: can cast several 24 hour buffs via DMM, fairly usefull in and out of combat
15: stick an AMF on the character and its really starting to be a good character as it can pretty much hold its own doesnt need much for help and is usefull out of combat
20: we have 9th level divine spells available, plus domain spells, there is not much the character can not do in or out of combat as it will run several 24+ hour buffs via DMM

Upon examining the abilities of Captain Marvel, it is felt that this comes really close to the way captain marvel is described as, it achieves fully within this build, all listed things of Captain Marvel.

Munchkin - things that could make the character better
All Abilitys + 5 from Books
Boots of striding and springing - additional speed boost
Belt of Battle - extra actions
Ioun Stones - +1 Caster Levels
Strand of prayer beads - Bead of Karma - +4 Caster Levels
Cloak of Charisma +6
Periapt of Wisdom +6
Nightsticks^ - 4 Extra Turnings
Reliquary Holy Symbol - 2 Extra Turnings <5+ ranks in Knowledge (religion), with Divine Metamagic [Divine]>
Sword of the Glorious Pearl +3 aquatic holy pearlsteel bastard sword; gain Extra Turning feat
Sacred Armour - 2 Extra Turnings

Spells Known per Day

Spells Known per Day

1st|3|1+1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|4|2+1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|4|2+1|1+1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|5|3+1|2+1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|5|3+1|2+1|1+1|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|5|3+1|3+1|2+1|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|6|4+1|3+1|2+1|1+1|-|-|-|-|-

8th|6|4+1|3+1|3+1|2+1|-|-|-|-|-

9th|6|4+1|4+1|3+1|2+1|1+1|-|-|-|-

10th|6|4+1|4+1|3+1|3+1|2+1|-|-|-|-

11th|-|<0>|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

12th|-|<1>|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

13th|-|<1>|<0>|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

14th|6|5+1|4+1|4+1|3+1|2+1|1+1|-|-|-

15th|6|5+1|4+1|4+1|3+1|3+1|2+1|-|-|-

16th|6|5+1|5+1|4+1|4+1|3+1|2+1|1+1|-|-

17th|6|5+1|5+1|4+1|4+1|3+1|3+1|2+1|-|-

18th|6|5+1|5+1|5+1|4+1|4+1|3+1|2+1|1+1|-

19th|6|5+1|5+1|5+1|4+1|4+1|3+1|3+1|2+1|-

20th|6|5+1|5+1|5+1|5+1|4+1|4+1|3+1|2+1|1+1
[/table]

Spells & Powers Prepared/Memorized

Spells & Powers Prepared/Memorized
Cleric Spells
0 Read magic, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Purify Food and Drink, Create Water, Cure Minor Wounds
1 Comprehend languages, Nightshield, Bless Water, Cure Light Wounds, Detect Undead
2 Eagle’s Splendor, Cure Moderate Wounds, Dark Way, Fuse Arms, Ghost Touch Armor
3 Vigor, Dispel Magic, Invisibility Purge, Remove Curse, Ghost Touch Weapon
4 Divine Power, Freedom of Movement, Holy Transformation Lesser, Sheltered Vitality, Restoration
5 Righteous Might, Spell resistance, Divine Agility, True Seeing
6 Heal, Resistance, Superior, Find the Path, Undeath to Death
7 Regenerate, Resurrection, Brilliant Blade
8 Stormrage, Greater Planar Ally
9 Miracle

Custom Domain Spells
1 Deathwatch
2 Detect Thoughts
3 Clairaudience/Clairvoyance
4 Death Ward
5 Detect Scrying
6 Heroes’ Feast
7 Scrying, Greater
8 Antimagic Field
9 Greater Visage of the Deity

Delver spells:
1 lesser restoration
2 bull’s strength

Sources

Sources
CDiv 56, 80
LoM 216
CAdv 109
HoH 93
SK 166
UA 50
PHB 30
DrM 14
FRCS 37
SC 278, 281
DMG 263

RFLS
2013-12-01, 11:26 PM
William Batsman
Basics

http://orcz.com/images/thumb/c/cb/ShazamRegime.jpg/500px-ShazamRegime.jpg
LG human male Transmuter 5/Egoist 4/Cerebremancer 9/War Mind 2
32 point buy
Str 14, Dex, 14, Con 13, Int 16, Wis 13, Cha 8
all ability increases go to Intelligence

Wizard School on a Boxing Scholarship
When William Batsman’s Wizard School application was received by the Headmaster, he noticed an unusual student. Here was a student that was not the prototypical 98 pound weakling looking to learn spells to increase his power. William was certainly smart but also was more capable of keeping up with any physical tests that would come up. He also liked to be physical, a trait not shared by many of his classmates. He was solving problems with his fists just as easily as his spells.
William took to his wizardly training well but his mind was quite sharp and quite awake with psionic power. Eventually William learned to combine the two studies together to make himself as mentally capable as was humanly possible.
With this combining of abilities, William was able to find a way to make himself a physical powerhouse to take on his enemies and protect his friends and family. His Power Form takes full advantage of his spellcasting, his psionics, and his original physical aptitude.

Build
{table=head]Level|Class|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|Transmuter 1|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Knowledge (arcana) 4, Knowledge (dungeoneering) 2, Knowledge (history) 2, Knowledge (local) 2, Knowledge (nature) 4, Knowledge (planes) 4, Knowledge (religion) 2, Spellcraft 4|Improved Unarmed Strike, Metamagic School Focus (transmutation), Scribe Scroll (B)|Immediate magic, prohibited schools (illusion, necromancy)

2nd|Transmuter 2|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +1, Knowledge (nature) +1, Knowledge (planes) +1, Knowledge (religion) +1, Spellcraft +1| |

3rd|Transmuter 3|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +1, Knowledge (nature) +1, Knowledge (planes) +1, Knowledge (religion) +1, Spellcraft +1|Knowledge Devotion|

4th|Transmuter 4|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +1, Knowledge (nature) +1, Knowledge (planes) +1, Knowledge (religion) +1, Spellcraft +1| |

5th|Transmuter 5|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +1, Knowledge (nature) +1, Knowledge (planes) +1, Knowledge (religion) +1, Spellcraft +1|Empower Spell (B)|

6th|Egoist 1|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+6|Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +1, Knowledge (nature) +1, Knowledge (planes) +1, Knowledge (psionics) 2|Speed of Thought (B), Spell Thematics|discipline (psychometabolism)

7th|Egoist 2|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+7|Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +1, Knowledge (nature) +1, Knowledge (planes) +1, Knowledge (psionics) +2| |

8th|Egoist 3|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+7|Autohypnosis 1, Concentration 1, Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +1, Knowledge (nature) +1, Knowledge (planes) +1, Knowledge (psionics) +1| |

9th|Egoist 4|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+8|Autohypnosis +1, Concentration +1, Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +1, Knowledge (nature) +1, Knowledge (planes) +1, Knowledge (psionics) +1|Superior Unarmed Strike|

10th|Cerebremancer 1|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+10|Concentration +1, Decipher Script 3, Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (psionics) +1, Spellcraft +1| |

11th|Cerebremancer 2|
+5|
+2|
+2|
+11|Concentration +1, Craft (alchemy) 2, Decipher Script +1, Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (psionics) +1, Spellcraft +1| |

12th|Cerebremancer 3|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+11|Concentration +1, Craft (alchemy) +1, Decipher Script +1, Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (psionics) +1, Spellcraft +2|Retributive Spell|

13th|Cerebremancer 4|
+6|
+3|
+3|
+12|Concentration +1, Craft (alchemy) +1, Decipher Script +1, Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (psionics) +1, Spellcraft +2| |

14th|Cerebremancer 5|
+6|
+3|
+3|
+12|Concentration +1, Craft (alchemy) +2, Decipher Script +1, Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (psionics) +1, Spellcraft +1| |

15th|Cerebremancer 6|
+7|
+4|
+4|
+13|Concentration +1, Craft (alchemy) +2, Decipher Script +1, Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (psionics) +1, Spellcraft +1|Arcane Thesis (transformation)|

16th|War Mind 1|
+8|
+6|
+6|
+13|Autohypnosis +2, Concentration +2, Knowledge (history) +2, Knowledge (psionics) +2| |chain of personal superiority +2

17th|War Mind 2|
+9|
+7|
+7|
+13|Autohypnosis +2, Concentration +2, Knowledge (history) +2, Knowledge (psionics) +2| |chain of defensive posture +2

18th|Cerebremancer 7|
+9|
+7|
+7|
+13|Concentration +2, Craft (alchemy) +2, Decipher Script +1, Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (psionics) +1, Spellcraft +1|Expanded Knowledge (psionic fly)|

19th|Cerebremancer 8|
+10|
+7|
+7|
+14|Concentration +2, Craft (alchemy) +2, Decipher Script +1, Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (psionics) +1, Spellcraft +1| |

20th|Cerebremancer 9|
+10|
+8|
+8|
+14|Concentration +2, Craft (alchemy) +2, Decipher Script +1, Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (psionics) +1, Spellcraft +1| | [/table]

Spells per day
{table=head]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th

1st|3|1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
2nd|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
3rd|4|2|1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
4th|4|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-
5th|4|3|2|1|-|-|-|-|-|-
6th|4|3|2|1|-|-|-|-|-|-
7th|4|3|2|1|-|-|-|-|-|-
8th|4|3|2|1|-|-|-|-|-|-
9th|4|3|2|1|-|-|-|-|-|-
10th|4|3|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-
11th|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-|-|-
12th|4|4|3|3|2|-|-|-|-|-
13th|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-|-
14th|4|4|4|3|3|2|-|-|-|-
15th|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-
16th|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-
17th|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-
18th|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|-|-|-
19th|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-
20th|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|-|-[/table]

Essential Spells in Spellbook
0: all except for illusion and necromancy
1: enlarge person, expeditious retreat, mage armor
2: detect thoughts
3: fly, haste, lightning bolt
4: shout, stoneskin
5: contact other plane, teleport
6: chain lightning, contingency, transformation
7: control weather, limited wish
Psionic Powers Known
1: burst (gained via War Mind), call to mind, déjà vu, expansion (gained via War Mind), hammer, inertial armor, thicken skin
2: animal affinity, energy push, psionic tongues, sustenance
3: body adjustment, body purification, energy bolt, hustle
4: empathic feedback, energy adaptation, metamorphosis, psionic fly (gained via feat), psionic freedom of movement
5: adapt body, psionic true seeing, psychic crush, tower of iron will
6: psionic restoration, suspend life, temporal acceleration
7: oak body

Emulation of Captain Marvel
Wisdom of Solomon: With Wizard and Psion as William’s first two class choices, he has all knowledges as class skills and can further take advantage of this with the Knowledge Devotion feat. Even at early to mid levels, William is guaranteed at least a +1 insight bonus to attack and damage and even higher bonuses later on. Unlike the heroic character William is based upon, he has all of these abilities even in his normal form. William is a walking encyclopedia and can provide the answers to any knowledge problems his party is facing.
Strength of Hercules: True herculean strength can be emulated through multiple means. William’s main tactic is to transform himself into a stronger version of himself. This can be accomplished most easily with the spell transformation. This can be augmented with both standard psionics and with his levels of War Mind.
Stamina of Atlas: William has numerous means to make himself invulnerable to damage or energy types and heal himself via spells and psionics—such as body adjustment, energy adaptation, psionic restoration, sustenance. Transformation also increases his Constitution score which in turns increases his hit point total.
Power of Zeus: William likes electricity. He flavors his spells with electricity with the Spell Thematics feat, so when he casts his transformation, it hits him with the lightning bolt much like the comic book character. He also casts lightning bolt as a Retributive Spell so the first foe to hit him gets zapped.
Courage of Achilles: Transformation is again the answer here. To emulate the fighting skills of the great Greek hero, the spell gives him full BAB equal to his character level. If William is deciding to enter melee, he is going to need all the attacks he can get.
Speed of Mercury: William is able to fly either psionically or magically. Thanks to the Speed of Thought feat, his movement rate is faster than the standard human. Spells and psionic effects can also increase his speed—namely expeditious retreat, haste, hustle, teleport, and temporal acceleration.

Design Notes
William’s basic tactics are to make himself stronger for short intense periods during combat encounters. Once William hits Level 15, this tactic has reached its perfection. Thanks to Metamagic School Focus, Spell Thematics, and Arcane Thesis, William can always make his transformation spell Empowered and complete with a lightning show. Transformation makes William lose all spellcasting ability but his psionic capability is still strong. He can use psionics to give himself different types of protections and heal himself. He can take advantage of his two unarmed strike feats to enter the fray punching his enemies into submission. This would most emulate the comic book character.
However, William can actually take this tactic a bit further. First he can use metamorphosis to turn himself into a larger stronger monster like a giant. His physical scores increase while he keeps his mental scores. Let’s cast Empowered Spell Thematic transformation on top of that. Thanks to his War Mind levels, he gained the expansion power which can increase his size and thus his strength and damage output. Since the metamorphosis allows for cosmetic changes with the form, William can make himself look less giant like and more human like (or more like himself). Bigger, better, stronger, faster—William is the fighting machine he can be.

Source List
Complete Mage: Metamagic School Focus and Retributive Spell feats
Player’s Guide to Faerun: Spell Thematics feat
Player’s Handbook II: Arcane Thesis feat, immediate magic alternate class feature
Tome of Battle: Superior Unarmed Strike feat

RFLS
2013-12-01, 11:27 PM
Aaaaaand that's all, folks! Post away. Judges, we await your decisions with baited breath.

Tim Proctor
2013-12-02, 09:41 AM
I'm not surprised that there are only 4 entries at this point. Captain Marvel isn't super popular and is really hard to build, at least for me. I will say that they all look really good and I think it should be fun to see how the judges weigh them.

dysprosium
2013-12-02, 10:04 AM
I like the different plays on the name Billy Batson.

relytdan
2013-12-03, 11:21 AM
yes, interesting names: all seem to go about it in different ways as well - this could be interresting

dysprosium
2013-12-03, 11:52 AM
Did anyone step up for judging? If they did I apologize for missing your post.

RFLS
2013-12-03, 12:05 PM
Did anyone step up for judging? If they did I apologize for missing your post.

I haven't actually seen anyone volunteer for it, either.

relytdan
2013-12-03, 12:09 PM
I haven't actually seen anyone volunteer for it, either.

nope I don't see any either - interesting

relytdan
2013-12-08, 08:34 AM
saved from page 8 darkness... any judges yet?

dysprosium
2013-12-11, 10:46 AM
Dear Lurkers/Lovers of Comics/Potential Judges,

Could any of you find it in your hearts to take a look and judge our creations? As a competitor in this fledgling contest I would hate to see it go by the wayside. I would like to see the contest continue but it only can with the help of you! The premise is simple enough--recreate a comic book character into a playable 3.5 character.

So please help out your fellow gamer!

Thank you,
dysprosium

Rama
2013-12-11, 11:12 AM
In the absence of another option, I'm attempting to work up a judging for y'all; although my comic book knowledge may be insufficient for the task. I'm reading and will give y'all my best shot.

dysprosium
2013-12-11, 11:54 AM
Thank you for answering the call!

I think all of the relevant comic information was linked in the OP to the wiki. That would probably be all you need. The rest is 3.5 character creation.

relytdan
2013-12-11, 12:20 PM
In the absence of another option, I'm attempting to work up a judging for y'all; although my comic book knowledge may be insufficient for the task. I'm reading and will give y'all my best shot.

While it is certainly appreciated - just for note there are only a couple days left on this -

hey mr. chairman will there be another heroic after this?

RFLS
2013-12-11, 12:22 PM
While it is certainly appreciated - just for note there are only a couple days left on this -

hey mr. chairman will there be another heroic after this?

I'm inclined to do at least one more, this time, perhaps, with a more well-known hero.

Rama
2013-12-11, 01:03 PM

Noted, fortunately its a fairly small pool to judge so I should be able to have it in under the wire.

Tim Proctor
2013-12-11, 03:22 PM
Noted, fortunately its a fairly small pool to judge so I should be able to have it in under the wire.

Thanks, and even if you don't know a lot about the comic book character just remember to always score my character the highest. :smallsmile:

Rama
2013-12-12, 12:00 PM
Almost done with the judging; I've gone through the builds and scored them, am now letting my initial scoring marinate before reviewing and making sure I didn't screw anything up. It should be up later this afternoon.

While I handle the wrap-up, I'll throw out some detail on how I've been scoring:

I'm starting everything at 1 and adding as follows:

1) Originality

-Was race expected or used by others?
-Were classes expected or used by others?
-Were any unique and unexpected feats or tricks used that materially enhanced the flavor?
-Were there any other unique elements presented worthy of particular note?

***As an aside, I was a little surprised no barbarians showed up. I read up on the hero before looking at builds, and was expecting to see a build with rage fluffed as his power-up.

2) Power

-How does the overall power of the dish compare, measured both against straight PHB base classes and against other dishes?
-How sustainable are the abilities throughout the day?
-Is the dish reliant on equipment/items to perform?

3) Elegance

-Are all class pre-requisites met?
-Are all feat pre-requisites met?
-Are there any questionable rules interpretations?
-Is the submission mechanically flawed or otherwise missing needed information?

4) Accuracy

-Does the submission present the following core/expected abilities of Shazam (and at what point does it gain them):

Superhuman strength
Exceptional scholarly knowledge
Hypnotic powers
Physical resistance to damage and quick healing
Resistance to magical attack
Resistance to mental attack/domination
Damaging lightning powers
Superhuman speed and flight

-At what level does the build begin to really feel like Shazam?
-Does the build present a 'transformative' aspect of enabling the powers as opposed to being always on?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-12-12, 01:47 PM
...You know, I never even considered Rage.

Looking back now, I could kick myself. I mean, Halfling X 3/Stoneblessed (Goliath) 3/Barbarian Z could take the Goliath Barbarian sub level and turn Large when he raged.

$%@$.

dysprosium
2013-12-12, 02:50 PM
I never thought of rage either.

I got totally stuck on the idea/gimmick I had and ran with it.

Tim Proctor
2013-12-12, 02:52 PM
Yeah, everyone went about it differently. I didn't think of rage at all either.

Rama
2013-12-12, 04:15 PM
Before I post the scores, let me just say I really liked all four of these builds. Well done everyone. Were it not for elegance-related concerns, I think all four would have been very closely grouped with a 2-2.5 point spread among the lot of them.

With that said, I offer the following critiques for your consideration:

William Baston - Shazam, Gish Extraordinaire - Total Score 13.00

Originality - 4.00 points

Two sorcerers in the competition, although battle variant stands out and remaining classes were unique. Abjurant Champion not an entirely unexpected approach to obtain the strong defenses of Shazam.1.25 points of maximum 1.50
Human was pretty much the standard fare as races go. 0.00 points of maximum .50
For feats, the Storm Bolt reserve feat was expected as the go-to lightning power (even though no one else used it); but I’m glad to see it nonetheless. I love the VoP addition for this guy, and the accompanying exalted feats. It adds a significant flavor that feels right for the intent. 1.50 points of maximum 1.50
Other - the build is a unique take in the competition overall; while it doesn't have a focus that makes me sit up and go "wow", overall I was not expecting the approach. .25 points of maximum .50

Power - 3.75 points

Strong early, but tails off due to VoP in the higher levels. Nice defense, and strong spellcasting - although level 9 spells would have been nice too. Some of the specific numbers/possibilities are difficult to tie down due to issues discussed further under elegance, so I'm going to have to cap the power score. 1.50 points of maximum 2.50
Lightning bolts all day every day via reserve feat is pretty sustainable; although the rest is dependent on spellcasting and spells/day, which take a hit from the battle sorc variant. Since a significant portion relies on polymorph and other spellcasting, that's a minor negative; although as noted offset by the reserve feat. .75 points of maximum 1.00
The definition of not reliant on items, considering it's a VoP build. .50 points of maximum .50

Elegance - 1.00 points

I'm going to start with the major issue first, as this impacts my entire elegance ruling. A substantial number of problems with the mechanical layout of the submission, starting with: there are no stats. That impacts a significant amount of things, and makes the build harder to evaluate. Further, skill points appear to have issues - partly due to some potentially missing, partly because non-class skills (disguise) are being ranked as if they were class skills (5 ranks in disguise at level 5, maximum for cross class should be 4) which impacts Abjurant Champion qualification - fixable without significant retool, but an issue. Lastly, the table of class/vow features has formatting problems - it's showing the Abjurant Champion abilities beginning at level 5, when the first level of AC is at char level 9. Because of these issues, I am ruling the elegance score as 1.00 points overall. I am leaving the other notes below for informational purposes, but they do not impact the category score at this time.
Class requirements are met in full, but potential skill issue for Abjurant Champion - not penalized here, see discussion previously. 1.00 points of maximum 1.00
Non qualification for two feats: Blessed of the Seven Sisters requires 6th level spellcasting, you only have 5th when you take it; and Lilira's Blessing requires points in escape artist, which you don't have. 0.00 points of maximum 1.00
I don't have any other specific rules related issues, but the build is incomplete as discussed previously. Given the missing info, I can't award here as the data could result in other non-qualifications that aren't shown. 0.0 points of maximum 1.00

Accuracy - 4.25 points

Covers all the abilities expected for Shazam pretty successfully, and all are at least partially represented by level 12. The scholarly knowledge is the weakest, as the build has little innate knowledge outside arcana and is reliant on extra spells to top it off. Polymorphing for transformation to obtain super strength has some drawbacks in terms of physical appearance, depending on what you're transforming into - you're likely not really looking human anymore. 2.00 points of maximum 2.50
Looking at your build, I'm really starting to get the sense of Shazam around level 8, with a more complete picture at level 12. Even if they aren't super strong, you've incorporated majority of his abilities and can at least fake it the rest of the way. That is by far the earliest I can say that for of any of the submissions. 1.00 points of maximum 1.00
There is something of a transformation since you're likely polymorphing most of the time, and a power-up in terms of self casting spells. It's close; not 100% given the polymorph issue discussed previously, but in the neighborhood. .25 points of maximum .50

SHAZAM! - Total Score 15.00

Originality - 3.75 points

Two sorcerers in the competition, although remaining classes were unique. I particularly appreciate the War Weaver incorporation.1.25 points of maximum 1.50
Changeling was unique in terms of entry, but surprisingly so imo; it was an expected entry for 'transformative' purposes. Partial credit as the only one. .25 points of maximum .50
For feats, glad to see the lightning; although energy substitution was my second-most-expected method for incorporating that aspect. Others were more or less unused, but nothing makes me 'wow' 1.00 points of maximum 1.50
Other - the build is a unique take in the competition overall; while it doesn't have a focus that makes me sit up and go "wow", overall I was not expecting the approach. .25 points of maximum .50

Power - 3.00 points

I understand the thematic urge to combine fists with lightning abilities, but the monk addition hurts - losing enough levels from the PRCs, another from monk is painful - and the fighting isn't enhanced enough via feats or other means to make up for it. Level 8 spells by the end are something of a redemption, but it's still a step behind. 1.00 points of maximum 2.50
Heavily reliant on limited resources (spellcasting). Some combat ability once expended, but not an option that I'd want to use. .50 points of maximum 1.00
Not reliant on items, beyond what a normal character would be at a given point in their career. .50 points of maximum .50

Elegance - 4.50 points

Don't qualify for Spellguard of Silverymoon - requires level 4 spellcasting, by my count you only have level 3 spells when you take it. Others qualify. .50 points of maximum 1.00
Qualifies for all feats. 1.00 points of maximum 1.00
No questionable rules interpretations noted . 1.00 points of maximum 1.00
No other errors have been noted in the submission. 1.00 points of maximum 1.00

Accuracy - 3.75 points

Lightning is incorporated early, and with accumulated buffs you're probably showing most of the Shazam powers by around level 12-13. The super strength I'd expect from Shazam doesn't really make an appearance though. Some buffs, but it takes a fair bit of stacking plus divine power at 18 to get it in the neighborhood. Likewise I'm not getting a great sense of physical, magical, or mental invulnerability/fast healing. And the knowledge is limited to arcane, which omits a vast swath I'd expect Shazam to have. A small boost for having enhanced fistfighting abilities, even if they aren't very optimal 1.50 points of maximum 2.50
Looking at your build, I'm getting a glimmer of Shazam around ~8, but the picture isn't really coming together until late with the Divine Power boost needed to bring it home. It gets there, but not until almost too late to matter. .75 points of maximum 1.00
I love the War Weaver for transformation. That was a great addition, and imo the best approach for achieving the "Shazam!" change presented in the competition. .50 points of maximum .50

Shazam Batson - Total Score 11.50

Originality - 3.50 points

Unique class entry and follow-through throughout the build.1.50 points of maximum 1.50
Human was the expected and common entry point. .00 points of maximum .50
Feats were more or less unused, but nothing makes me 'wow'. .75 points of maximum 1.50

Power - 3.00 points

Divine metamagic cleric is always strong, but there are issues: no persistent spell feat. As such, the DMM: Persist feat is effectively dead. While I'm not penalizing here specifically for that point, I am taking it out of my power consideration - which still leaves you as a strong cleric caster, but weaker than otherwise. I don't really understand the Serpent Slayer addition either, it seems to be a bit specialized for what you're doing in general 1.25 points of maximum 2.50
Reliant on limited resources (spellcasting), but has some combat ability once the spell list is expended. .75 points of maximum 1.00
Heavily reliant on wands to confer a significant portion of the abilities of Shazam, based on spells noted. While it's not unexpected that he could acquire those in most campaigns, if he's outside of a city for a length of time it could become enough of an issue to make him Shazam-less .00 points of maximum .50

Elegance - 2.50 points

Qualifies for all classes. 1.00 points of maximum 1.00
Does not qualify for dodge or mobility, insufficient dexterity. As noted in power, missing Persistent Spell feat to qualify for DMM: Persist feat. Others qualify. .00 points of maximum 1.00
Customize domain feat is from dragon magazine, and illegal for the competition (as it is not integral to the build, I have not penalized beyond this line item for it) .00 points of maximum 1.00
Incorrect BAB presented for cloistered cleric; should be using the 'bad' BAB, the table lists standard cleric BAB. .50 points of maximum 1.00

Accuracy - 2.50 points

The features of Shazam are hard to really identify, since so many are reliant on getting wands of non-cleric spells or burning Miracle to make them happen; they're not really coming from within him. The heavy core of knowledge skills is a strong plus, and plenty of physical regen via cleric healing. Beyond that, the build isn't really fulfilling Shazam's abilities as presented. 1.00 points of maximum 2.50
Looking at your build, I'm having a hard time feeling Shazam before level...12 or so at the earliest, when enough spells are online to give some picture. Part of that is the wands reliance, it’s difficult for me to really evaluate where you can reliably implement the powers. I think it gets there in the end, but maybe not until level 20 when miracle can put the icing on the cake. .50 points of maximum 1.00
Not much of a transformation; assuming the DMM persist feats are reworked, it's more of a beginning-of-day buff and walk around as Shazam all day. .00 points of maximum .50

William Batsman - Total Score 17.00

Originality - 4.50 points

Unique class entry and follow-through throughout the build.1.50 points of maximum 1.50
Human was the expected and common entry point. .00 points of maximum .50
I like the knowledge devotion selection; expected to see more of that. Speed of thought is nice. I really like spell thematics - hadn't considered that for the lightning flavor, it fits nicely and uniqueness makes up for lacking quite as much endurance as storm bolt brings to the table. 1.50 points of maximum 1.50
Other - the build is a unique take in the competition overall; I'll call transformation out in particular as something I didn't forecast - turn that wimpy wizard into a fighting machine! Plus the unarmed strike support was all a nice package. .50 points of maximum .50

Power - 4.25 points

Strong spellcasting/psionics. Transformation is the rub for me; I get the addition from a thematic standpoint, but even with the benefits it provides you're still squishy and losing the ability to cast spells is not a fun time. That said, it's a strong build. Nice set of skills as well for out of combat utility. 2.00 points of maximum 2.50
Reliant on limited resources (spellcasting), but has a considerable amount given the psionics as well as arcane. .75 points of maximum 1.00
No more or less reliant on items than another build of the same level throughout .50 points of maximum .50

Elegance - 4.75 points

Qualifies for all classes. 1.00 points of maximum 1.00
Qualifies for all feats. 1.00 points of maximum 1.00
The only potential rules issue I can see is using psionics while under Transformation. My reading of the submission is that the psionics is assumed to work under Transformation; I could see an argument against that being put forth. Not a big issue, since the build works either way; but it's an arguable point. .75 points of maximum 1.00
No other errors have been noted in the submission. 1.00 points of maximum 1.00

Accuracy - 3.50 points

Covers all the bases for Shazam, and most of the expected abilities make reasonably early appearances. Strong knowledge core is good, flight/healing/lightning are all in play by 10. But the strength doesn't show up until Transformation at level 15, and never really gets to "super" levels. That's about when the defenses really seem to come online also, at least to Shazam proportions. I can't help thinking that by the time he can really "Shazam", he'll just stick to spellcasting instead since it's an either-or in some respects. Psionics also throws me a little in terms of his abilities; since in comic book terms psionics is a definite Thing, adding it onto a non-psionic superhero is a bit contradictory. 1.50 points of maximum 2.50
Shazam really comes into play here at the level 15 mark, which feels a little late. .50 points of maximum 1.00
Definitely a Transformation involved (literally in this case). .50 points of maximum .50

dysprosium
2013-12-12, 04:37 PM
Thank you for the judging Rama! You really came through for us here.

Rama
2013-12-12, 05:08 PM
No problem, happy to do it.

I'll hang around as much as I can to get any disputes resolved before the official deadline hits.

Tim Proctor
2013-12-12, 05:10 PM
No problem, happy to do it.

I'll hang around as much as I can to get any disputes resolved before the official deadline hits.
Thanks for judging, I don't think anyone will put up disputes due to the time frame.

Makes me think the 11th hour judging is the way to go, see how long someone can go while saying 'I am so good a judge, I don't get disputes'.:smallsmile:

In all honesty thanks for judging.

relytdan
2013-12-12, 09:49 PM
any signs from RFLS recently?

RFLS
2013-12-12, 10:17 PM
Dispute

Shazam Batson (Cloistered Cleric build, entry #3)

Power:

Persistent Spell is acquired at level 1.
Serpent Slayer grants Poison Immunity (powerful defensive ability).
Contestant maintains that wands are not a significant or necessary part of the build - most of the spells he would want or use are on his spell list.

Elegance:

As mentioned, Persistent Spell is acquired at first level.

Rama
2013-12-13, 08:46 AM
Dispute

Shazam Batson (Cloistered Cleric build, entry #3)

Power:

Persistent Spell is acquired at level 1.
Serpent Slayer grants Poison Immunity (powerful defensive ability).
Contestant maintains that wands are not a significant or necessary part of the build - most of the spells he would want or use are on his spell list.

Elegance:

As mentioned, Persistent Spell is acquired at first level.

Elegance:
I see three feats acquired at first level: 1) Extra Turning 2) Extend Spell 3) Divine Metamagic, Persistent Spell. However, that last one needs two separate feats; you have to have the feat Persistent spell before you can get DMM for it.

If that's supposed to be instead 3) Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell), and 4) Persistent Spell, please clarify and let me know how you're getting the fourth feat at level 1. Or how there's three feats instead of two (one level 1, one human) for that matter.

Power:
(A) Serpent Slayer does grant poison immunity, it just seems oddly specific and late in the build. Shazam's defenses seem more all-purpose, going out of the way to acquire a poison immunity just seems a little odd at that late point.

(B) For spellcasting, I see the following spells noted for either Miracle (highly restricted) or requiring wands:

Bite of the Werebear (Druid 6 -can be done with Miracle or wand)
Giant Size through Miracle or wand
Favor of the martyr -through Miracle or wand
Expeditious retreat - can be done with Miracle or wand
Haste - can be done with Miracle or wand
Hypnotism - can be done with Miracle or wand
Call Lightning - can be done with Miracle or wand
Alter Self - can be done with Miracle or wand

That also excludes the specific call-outs for items (grafts and necklace of adaptation).

Without those, you're lacking a pretty large chunk of your super speed, strength, hypnotism, and lightning powers. Granted, you don't *have* to have them and can shuffle up your cleric spell list to another focus if you don't have access. But the build as presented lists them front-and-center, and it reads as relying on them/expecting to have them.

RFLS
2013-12-13, 01:23 PM
Dispute (Continued)

Feats:

Undeath domain grants a feat (Extra Turning).
Planning domain grants a feat (Extend Spell).
Human grants a feat.
General character generation grants a feat.

Dodge and Mobility:

Claims that with a +2 item of Dex and Persisted grace or divine agility he meets the qualifications for Dodge and Mobility.

relytdan
2013-12-14, 08:08 AM
is there going to be a new heroic?

dysprosium
2013-12-15, 09:56 PM
Yes I hope there is another one as well.

Rama
2013-12-16, 11:39 AM
Dispute (Continued)

Feats:

Undeath domain grants a feat (Extra Turning).
Planning domain grants a feat (Extend Spell).
Human grants a feat.
General character generation grants a feat.

Dodge and Mobility:

Claims that with a +2 item of Dex and Persisted grace or divine agility he meets the qualifications for Dodge and Mobility.

Not sure if there's still time to get these in, but I'll add notes regardless since there hasn't been a final reveal.

1) Feats.

Ok now that that's made a little clearer I can follow what you're doing. Adjustments as follows:

+.75 Power to 2.00 for the DMM working.
+.50 Elegance for having Persistent Spell and DMM (Persist) qualifying.

2) Dodge/Mobility.

While you could theoretically add items to meet the reqs, I can only judge on what is presented. And, disregarding any other potential issues with adding items to qualify, the entry presents the following 'final stats' at level 20:

*with spells shown*
*Str 66 Dex 11 Con 33 Int 16 Wis 23 Cha 22*

Those still don't qualify. As such, penalties for noncompliance stand with regards to these two feats.

Final score after adjustments: Shazam Batson - 12.75.

RFLS
2013-12-17, 12:00 AM
Greetings, contestants, judge, and mildly interested persons! This marks the close of the second Heroic Chef Competition. First of all, I would like to make special thanks to our judge, Rama. He stepped up to the plate when no one else would, and did everyone interested a tremendous favor. A round of applause is in order. Rama, you may now hear a thunderous round of applause (from out of nowhere).

The winners of this Heroic Chef competition are, without any further ado, as follows:

William Batsman
SHAZAM!
and William Baston.

Contestants, step forward! This has nothing to do with the Chairman's lack of attention to clearing his PM box and what that entails. A third Heroic Chef contest is forthcoming shortly - and we'll have a slightly easier dish this time.

- The Chairman

Kuulvheysoon
2013-12-17, 12:36 AM
Been there - for Iron Chef (Bladesinger) I committed the same faux-pas.

SHAZAM! was mine, on that topic.

Tim Proctor
2013-12-17, 09:51 AM
Since I broke my computer (before the judging) I have no notes on my build, but William Baston is mine.

I don't know how the abilities table got truncated but nothing I could do about it other than try to rebuild it and since we already went 3-days over the time line I didn't think it was worth the time nor effort. I do know the skills were from a intelligence increases and are treated appropriately. Also on a side note regarding whether or not he looks human, his ability to Alter Self at will allows him to look a size larger or smaller than large and chose how he looks, so he'd look 100% like Shazam.

dysprosium
2013-12-17, 10:40 AM
My entry was William Batsman.

Thank you Rama for answering the call (and making me the winner)!

When this ingredient was announced (Tenser's) transformation was the first thing that popped into my mind--it seemed the most Shazam-like to me.

Can't wait to see what Heroic Chef III brings.

relytdan
2013-12-18, 08:54 AM
A third Heroic Chef contest is forthcoming shortly - and we'll have a slightly easier dish this time.

- The Chairman

- wonder's what shortly is

RFLS
2013-12-18, 01:48 PM
- wonder's what shortly is

I'm going to refer you to my signature.