PDA

View Full Version : Question about permanent mage armor and shield

Red Bear
2013-11-13, 08:45 PM
I'm playing a pathfinder game but I don't think there is much difference with 3.5.
Can you make an item that grants the spell "mage armor" permanently? Can you make an item that grants "shield" permanently?

By rules it should cost 2000 mage armor (1x1x2000) and 4000 shield (1x1x2000x2) if I'm correct. But having +8 AC for 6000 make me wonder if there is something I am missing. I know that it would be an 8 AC non enhanceable like normal shield and armor, but still it looks too cheap.

What are the rules?

TuggyNE
2013-11-13, 09:01 PM
Two points: there are no rules for such a thing, only guidelines, and there are more specific guidelines than "generic spell, continuous" for AC bonuses.

Specifically, an armor bonus to AC is priced at bonus squared times 1000 gp, no matter what spell is used for it, and a shield bonus appears (from Ring of Force Shield) to be priced at around bonus squared times 1500 gp. Which means that an item that grants continuous mage armor is just like Bracers of Armor +4 (how curious! how strange! it's an existing item, almost as though they'd already thought of this) and an item that grants continuous shield would cost about 4 times as much as the Ring of Force Shield if a ring, and somewhat less if properly slotted.