PDA

View Full Version : 4E Variant Rule: Start as a Commoner

bjacks14
2013-11-13, 10:57 PM
This variant rule (I call it a rule, but I suppose it's not really a rule) allows players to start off without a class for role play purposes. The idea is that a player starts off as a normal person and quickly gains the skills associated with their desired class. The idea is based off of the Treasure Hunt adventure for Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. Well, I'm not the best with words, so I will let you all just read it for yourself. I have typed up a lovely PDF for you all that is available at:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/z6kvcck4a2zim2l/Variant_Rule_-_Commoner.pdf

Please feel free to leave comments, concerns, suggestions, and general feedback. I love creating content (from Players and NPCs to custom classes, items, and rules) and will love to post more if you folks enjoy it.

PS Yes, this is my first post. I'm not the best with words so I just went ahead and skipped posting an introduction lol.

-Bryant Jackson

Ralcos
2013-11-14, 12:06 AM
Sounds interesting for events before the main story.

It'd be hard to balance, but adventures in 4e are meant for heroes, not 0-leveled beginners.
It'd be good for a session or two. I can imagine the PCs gaining their power from heroes who couldnt beat the villain that the PCs will face at 30th level (not that I'd tell them!)

Just my two cents.

bjacks14
2013-11-14, 12:24 AM
Agreed on the session or two comment. The idea in my head was that they would gain their first level towards the end of their first session. They wouldn't be intended to play for an extended adventure. 500xp is only a handful of encounters. Like I said, its really a roleplaying thing. You could probably just put their entire 0-level experience into backstory and start at level 1; I just enjoy the idea of roleplaying the character growth as they grow from nothing into a hero. Thanks for the feedback!