PDA

View Full Version : Whisper gnome build - Undead Hunter

Morphie
2013-11-13, 11:07 PM
Hello guys,
So, I was thinking about making a backup PC just in case my beloved druid dies. I would like to make a whisper gnome that somehow would be a bane to the undead. The Skullclan Hunter PrC has come to mind and so has the Mage slayer feat chain. Spellcasting is a plus, but the penalty on the casting levels doesn't help.

Is such a build possible? What say you, fellow playgrounders?

Note: Can't use ToB, Psionics and UA.

Thanks guys ;)

fluke1993
2013-11-13, 11:28 PM
This smacks too me of a swift-hunter type build.

At it's core, this build relies on ranger levels, scout levels and the feat "swift hunter" from complete adventurer which allows your levels from scout and ranger to stack for the purposes of favored enemy and scout. In addition it also allows you to apply skirmish damage to your favored enemies regardless of their immunities. (anyone know how to spell that, it says that I spelled it wrong but it won't give me any clues)

This works especially well with the ranger ACF that allows you to get things like arcanists or evil as favored enemies.

Morphie
2013-11-14, 11:09 PM
That's a nice combo, but it lacks the immunities the skullclan hunter gets, and I wanted something like that. But thanks for your insights :)

What would be the best way to get this, any other thoughts?

Darrin
2013-11-15, 08:50 AM
Hmm. The entries I can see so far:

Paladin 4/Rogue 3. Maybe throw some Gray Guard 3 in there for a bit more flavor. Kinda slow, gets in at ECL 8. Spellcasting is barely there, but probably worth keeping just for activating wands.

Cleric 1/Rogue 3/Fighter 1. Gets in right at ECL 6, but BAB is weaker. Leaves you with 5 more levels to put in some more interesting stuff.

Rogue 3/Fighter 2/Soldier of Light 1 (Deities & Demigods p. 208). Kinda a mix between the two... slightly better BAB, but gets in at ECL 7. Will need to take Knowledge Devotion to get Knowledge (Religion) as a class skill. More bonus feats. Spellcasting is still kinda meh, but you can still use a wand of CLW.

As far as Mage Slayer goes... Pierce Magical Concealment is probably worth the -8 CL on a melee build. You can offset part of it with Practiced Spellcaster, but you'd still be at -4 CL... not sure if it'd be worth a feat for that. However, if you stick to just wands, you should be fine.