PDA

View Full Version : Inadvertently submitting a completely erroneous post report

TuggyNE
2013-11-14, 02:24 AM
So, just accidentally marked a completely harmless post as spam, due to rolling seventeen consecutive ones on my Spot check (why is that even a rule??). Any other actions I should take to correct this?

Jimorian
2013-11-14, 03:32 AM
So, just accidentally marked a completely harmless post as spam, due to rolling seventeen consecutive ones on my Spot check (why is that even a rule??). Any other actions I should take to correct this?

You can always report a post again to add additional information that might help the moderator judge what's going on. This includes saying "Oops!" All of the different reports for a post get indexed together on the admin side of things.

Also, it's not like they're going to take action on a post without making their own judgement call, so it's not like you're going to accidentally get somebody banned, and unless you get in a really bad habit of crying wolf, won't affect your own status, either.

TuggyNE
2013-11-14, 04:54 AM
You can always report a post again to add additional information that might help the moderator judge what's going on. This includes saying "Oops!" All of the different reports for a post get indexed together on the admin side of things.

I thought of that, but wasn't sure it was worth the additional sorting on their end.

Also, it's not like they're going to take action on a post without making their own judgement call, so it's not like you're going to accidentally get somebody banned, and unless you get in a really bad habit of crying wolf, won't affect your own status, either.

I know, it's just distressing.

Savannah
2013-11-14, 05:18 AM
As I understand it, multiple reports never make additional work for the moderators, as they're automatically put into one thread for the reported post -- they don't have to sort anything (okay, so maybe it makes five seconds of extra work to read a second post going "whoops, not spam, my bad" but you get my point).

ChristianSt
2013-11-14, 06:09 AM
I don't know how it works, but I think for recently reports a re-report is the best and for older reports just do nothing.

Reason behind is I think that the reported threads should work like the normal forum, only "hidden" to mods-only.
So with a new report you are bumping an old thread. The more recent your report is, the more likely your addition doesn't cause any work (since maybe the mods doesn't even have the time to see the original report alone).
But if it is older I think you could do something like a "report-necromancy", so if you catch your error in a few hours, I would probably do an additional report, if not, just let is at is.

TuggyNE
2013-11-14, 07:09 AM
I guess I'll go with that then, now and in the future. (Error rate right now seems to be around 0.2% or less, so hopefully that'll be a while before I have to go through this again. :smallsigh:)

Douglas
2013-11-14, 01:01 PM
I thought of that, but wasn't sure it was worth the additional sorting on their end.
Imagine that, instead of using the "report post" feature, you posted a new thread in Board/Site Issues linking to the offending post and stating that it's spam. You then realize your mistake, and simply make another post in the same thread saying "oops, not spam, my mistake".

Replace "Board/Site Issues" with "hidden forum only the mods can see dedicated to reports", and this is actually exactly how the report post feature works. The "additional sorting" involved is merely noticing that the report thread has an extra post in it saying oops. I'd think the scrolling and reading involved in that is actually less time and effort than following the link and assessing the report's accuracy.