PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Cleric Charger

Eldariel
2013-11-14, 05:57 AM
So in some thread I promised I'd post a Cleric Charger here when I get around doing it as a proof of concept of DMM: Persist Clerics as main warriors and specifically a charger (since most haven't seen one). Specifically, how they can indeed match Fighters/Barbarians in mid levels in their specialty while still being Clerics. Originally I intended for a level 10 character with +100 to hit and enough damage to take down a Hecatoncheires (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/abomination.htm#hecatoncheires) in one round, but that character used Persistent Consumptive Field.

All was well until I realized the Strength-bonus is uncapped so simply persisting Consumptive Field and summoning e.g. Bat Swarm and blowing it up would give you upwards to +10000 Strength, so it fell under my "don't abuse stupid big bonuses"-clause (this also meant I'd stay away from taint, loops & al.).

As such, I instead set out to one-shot a Hecatoncheires on a level 11 Cleric without using Consumptive Field & its ilk, and tossed together the following:

Human 11 (Cloistered Cleric 3/Church Inquisitor 4/Ruathar 3/Contemplative 1)

Cloistered Cleric 1: Extend Spell (Planning), Persistent Spell, DMM: Persistent Spell, Ocular Spell [Flaw], Battle Jump [Flaw]; Domains: Spell (Spontaneous Domain Casting), Planning, Knowledge
Cloistered Cleric 2:
Cloistered Cleric 3: Southern Magician [Races of Faerun]
Church Inquisitor 1: Trade Inquisition-domain for Knowledge Devotion
Church Inquisitor 2:
Church Inquisitor 3: Power Attack
Church Inquisitor 4:
Ruathar 1: MWP: Longbow
Ruathar 2: Craft Rod
Ruathar 3:
Contemplative 1: Wrath-domain

Stats (25pb):
Str 13
Dex 8
Con 14
Int 10
Wis 16
Cha 10

Level-ups to Wis, 18 Wisdom. +2 Wis item for 20 Wisdom total.

Items: 2xRod of Extend Spell, Lesser Rod of Extend Spell, 10xNightstick (all crafted), +1 Valorous Greatclub, +2 Wis item, Pearl of Speech, +1 Composite Longbow of Big Damages (elven gift). Leaves a little over for stuff I'm not accounting for here, spellbook & al.

Bit of an explanation here, the errata on Divine Metamagic restricts it to divine spells. Anyspell gives you arcane spells but Southern Magician allows casting them as divine spells at -1 CL (largely irrelevant for the purposes of this exercise; more practically we'd be investing in caster level boosting items and Ring of Enduring Arcana to make our buffs near-impossible to dispel, or just use Initiate of Mystra with AMF from Magic-domain, but that's beyond the scope of this exercise).

Ocular Spell is there mostly to enable persisting of certain Touch-range buffs. The only really important one is Girallon's Blessing (though invulnerability is a nice failsafe): it gives you a couple of arms in the Jarilith form, which among others helps you hold a weapon and cast spells. Jarilith is a quadroped demon hound from Monster Manual II. We couldn't normally Polymorph into one but Lesser Holy Transformation gives us the Outsider type.

40+3 = 43 turn attempts. Enough to persist 6 spells in a day.
Extended Persistent Buffs:
Wraithstrike [Anyspell, Southern Magician]
Lesser Holy Transformation
Ocular Girallon's Blessing
Draconic Polymorph: Jarilith (Pearl of Speech) [Greater Anyspell, Southern Magician]
Surge of Fortune
Divine Power

Spikes
Ocular Delay Death
Ocular Beastland Ferocity
Vigorous Circle
Righteous Wrath of the Faithful
Footsteps of the Divine

Normal Extended buffs:
Heroes' Feast
Greater Luminous Armor
Magic Vestment on GLA
Divine Insight

Knowledge Devotion should be at least +4 with us being able to max out Knowledge-skills early on and use Divine Insight on the check in combat. Divine Insight is +16 and it wouldn't take a lot of effort to get the 6 identification Knowledges to +10 or so. Add Mw. Tools and the usual and it should be easy. Skills are a lot of work for little gain so I'm not doing them here since I don't intend to play this character though but I can ballpark what we can do.

In battle, we start by casting Rhino's Rush (Wrath-domain; we can prepare it once in 1st and 2nd level domain slots and then we can Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer for 2 more after those are used up) as a swift action. Then we jump on the enemy. Between having flight (not Fly, which would impede with Battle Jump, but Footsteps of the Divine), enough Strength and movement to give us untrained +32 on Jump and overall everything, we have no trouble jumping on basically anything to trigger the charge.

We hit with natural weapons + greatclub. We also have some rakes and Improved Grab if interested but Battle Jump bonus will always be applied to the Greatclub. For this exercise, we won't use natural weapons since they would need to separately be blessed to deal normal damage to Hecatoncheires. Either way, Battle Jump doubles our damage and Valorous doubles it again, with Rhino's Rush doubling it once more. We have pounce from Jarilith for a full attack.

Outcome:
Str: 35 + 8 (Draconic Polymorph) + 2 Sacred (Lesser Holy Transformation) + 6 Enhancement (Divine Power) = 51
Dex: 29
Con: 27 + 2 (Draconic Polymorph) + 2 Sacred (Lesser Holy Transformation) = 31
Int: 10
Wis: 20
Cha: 10

Greatclub
Attack: 11 BAB + 20 Strength + 3 Morale (Righteous Wrath of the Faithful) + 2 Luck (Surge of Fortune) + 4 Knowledge Devotion + 2 Weapon = +42/+42/+37/+32 (Touch)
Damage: 2d8 + 30 Strength + 3 Morale (Righteous Wrath) + 2 Luck (Surge of Fortune) + 11 (Spikes) + 4 Knowledge Devotion + 2 Weapon = 2d8+50

Multipliers:
Battle Jump
Valorous
Rhino's Rush

Damage quadrupled. Full power attack on charge, +31/+31/+26/+21 at 19-20/x2 for 2d8+72 = 1296 damage if all hit but none crit. Accounting for miss chance & DR vs. Touch AC 30 (Hecatoncheires), we're expected to be able to one-shot it. We hit it for 1120 damage on average, which drops it dead so it won't get to regenerate or fast heal.

Though if we fail, we can always do it again next turn, and we could also burn Surge of Fortune for an autocrit if we feel so inclined. To beat Regeneration, we need to cast Bless Weapon or similar first though so we might have to take a few thousand damage. That's ultimately fairly inconsequential between Delay Death and Beastland Ferocity rendering us immune to its attacks and Vigorous Circle healing us up eventually.

Of course, even if we fail to kill it, the natural weapons should easily render it unconscious even through the regeneration.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and you should trivially get sufficient Tumble to avoid any kind of AOO nonsense.

Note, while the items are kinda barebones, it would be possible to get much more out of that. I didn't bother since it's unnecessary but if we use some stuff from the cost reduction handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1000.0), we could squeeze in caster level buffs and stuff particularly if we Heroics for Power Attack instead of having it the oldfashioned way (we have Spontaneous Domain Casting: Spell so we can recast Anyspell spontaneously to reuse our domain slot for arcane stuff) and take Craft Wondrous Items instead. This would significantly increase our damage and to hit too (Greater Magic Weapon & Spikes could be used to greater effect)

Oh, and polymorph handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=519.0) offers the less hoop-intensive option of using Cave Troll [MM3] instead of Jarilith. Stats are worse (-6 strength, but a ton of Dex and some Natural Armor lost), but it's biped and can speak without Pearl of Speech so it's an easier form all-around and since it already has hands, it could quadwield with Girallon Arms for extra Strength bonus to damage [Savage Species], or use Fuse Arms to get 4 out of the 6 missing strength back. So if someone has problems with any part of the Jarilith-tricks (casting spells as one through Pearl of Speech and Girallon's Blessing, turning into one through acquiring type with Lesser Holy Transformation, or whatever), you can just use Cave Troll instead to much the same effect.

ericgrau
2013-11-14, 10:26 AM
Mnemonic enhancer is a standard and only works on spells cast 1 round ago. But you can always wand rhino's rush if you have a free hand. Divine insight blows your immediate which you need for your rhino's rush swift next round.

Spikes can't be persisted because it isn't personal. I assume you mean extended? Vigorous circle likewise can't be persisted. Or maybe you mean these are alternate ocular spells?

Those are just some things among the first few things I looked at but you may want to double check the rest. I'll look at it more when I get some free time.

Gwendol
2013-11-14, 10:56 AM
Ouch! Hit's like a brick. I like the valorous greatclub, it has a certain dissonance to it.

Eldariel
2013-11-14, 11:02 AM
Mnemonic enhancer is a standard and only works on spells cast 1 round ago.

You can use the other (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mnemonicEnhancer.htm) mode:
"You prepare up to three additional levels of spells. A cantrip counts as ½ level for this purpose. You prepare and cast these spells normally."

This is post-combat obviously, to recoup a couple of Rhino's Rushes. I'd assume two Rhino's Rushes (prepared in your level 1 and 2 domain slots since you have no need for other spells in those slots) would be enough for one fight, though it's of course not even necessary unless you're fighting enemies the caliber of Hecatoncheires.

EDIT: Wait, that might not work. Well, you can honestly just use 4th and 5th level domain slots to prepare more Rhino's Rushes then. I'd rather not use consumables here, though Wand with Wand Chambers would obviously work too.

But you can always wand rhino's rush if you have a free hand. Divine insight blows your immediate which you need for your rhino's rush swift next round.

Good catch on the Divine Insight. Hm, that's annoying. Vs. a Heca I suppose we need to take the first turn to cast Bless Weapon anyways so I suppose it's not that big of a deal, but vs. random things you probably want that swift action.

Guidance of the Avatar doesn't last long enough. +3 can probably be hit reliably without it; Collector of Stories, 14 ranks, tool is +21. Surge of Fortune gives +2 Luck so we're looking at +23. While the average result is +4, that's obviously far less reliable than I'd want here.

Spikes can't be persisted because it isn't personal. I assume you mean extended? Vigorous circle likewise can't be persisted. Or maybe you mean these are alternate ocular spells?

Hm, you'll probably have to use Ocular Spikes or Reach Spikes. Ocular Spell could honestly be Reach Spell; either would work. Since it's still a 2nd level spell (in a 4th level slot, granted), you can extend the persistent spell with a Lesser Rod of Extend. Vigorous Circle has a fixed range, 20', so it can be persisted with no work. It might as well be Mass Lesser Vigor. Now that I think about it, it probably should be Mass Lesser Vigor due to spell slot efficiency.