PDA

View Full Version : Scaling Ability Scores (in D&D Next)

Vortalism
2013-11-14, 07:30 AM
So playgrounders,

I just want to know your opinions on how the raising of ability scores is working out. From the class charts it's very frequent and can be exchanged for feats. Do you like the system? Is it a good balancing factor?

Furthermore, would such a system ever work for lower tiered classes in 3.5?

I'd just like to hear from those wiser than I in the ways of D&D science.

Slipperychicken
2013-11-14, 12:02 PM
If it means a reduction in the Christmas Tree effect, then I'm all for it. If characters need those bonuses anyway, they might as well get them through leveling rather than a trip down to Magic Mart.

tulebast
2013-11-14, 12:41 PM
From the last playtest material I used, I had two basic thoughts on the matter:

I rather liked the idea that you could get either an attribute bump or a feat. With a more diverse selection of feats it should make for some interesting decision making. Stat bumps are not nearly as critical as they are in 3.x (which is a good thing IMHO) and I see no reason to compare Next to 4. That being said...

I did not like the incoherent way in which classes received these "bumps". I would have liked to see more uniformity (all classes get the same number of these "bumps" at the same levels, which would have allowed for better balancing between the classes, again IMHO).

I am still undecided on making them class features rather than just having them occur at an overall level. The only reason for that is to promote multiclass balance, and the multiclass capabilities were not fleshed out enough for me to be either pro or con about that.

Knaight
2013-11-14, 01:42 PM
It seems fine to me, though I fully expect feats to win out over ability score increases almost all of the time. D&D Next has some pretty solid feats, and ability score increases are as lackluster as ever.

Vortalism
2013-11-15, 06:47 AM
It seems fine to me, though I fully expect feats to win out over ability score increases almost all of the time. D&D Next has some pretty solid feats, and ability score increases are as lackluster as ever.

One thing I'm afraid of though:

Would they be a trap? :smallconfused:

Joe the Rat
2013-11-15, 08:56 AM
That's a good question.
If they actually keep with the "feats are optional" line, then what you are looking at is whether the stat bump is comparable to a mediocre feat. Is getting +1 to all rolls involving one attribute (1 of 6 savings throws (note: all savings throws are not equally common), all "skills" tied to that attribute (Hello, Dex and Int!), potentially +1hp/level, +1hit/damage, or +1 save DC on spells) as good as gaining a couple of proficiencies, or learning an extra spell or two? Remember that they're supposedly reining in the adders, so a +1 should be significant.

Think of it in terms of general improvement vs. specific improvement: Taking more focused feats make you better in a specialized area, or gain specialized abilities. Taking the stat boost gives you a smaller improvement over a larger range of actions or effects. It will never be an "optimal" choice, but it should have solid utility. The question becomes whether or not it actually does. All stat-boost is playable, but probably won't keep up alongside selecting several feats (or a mix thereof).

valadil
2013-11-15, 09:10 AM
That's a good question.
If they actually keep with the "feats are optional" line, then what you are looking at is whether the stat bump is comparable to a mediocre feat. Is getting +1 to all rolls involving one attribute (1 of 6 savings throws (note: all savings throws are not equally common), all "skills" tied to that attribute (Hello, Dex and Int!), potentially +1hp/level, +1hit/damage, or +1 save DC on spells) as good as gaining a couple of proficiencies, or learning an extra spell or two? Remember that they're supposedly reining in the adders, so a +1 should be significant.

I haven't read any of D&D Next yet, but there's one other potential use. Meeting requirements. If the feat you want requires 20 strength, you're going to have to spend some bumps to get there. I have no idea if this is something they intend to do or not, but it could be a good way to add value to ability score increases.

I also feel like as long as this rule has been there from the beginning and isn't just tacked on at the end, feats should be calibrated to be roughly equivalent to a stat bump.

Knaight
2013-11-15, 01:48 PM
One thing I'm afraid of though:

Would they be a trap? :smallconfused:

Not necessarily. It's more that they're a weaker option that still works, for those who just don't want to deal with feats - and feats have diminishing returns anyways, as the actually good ones are going to be taken first (where 'actually good' is highly contingent on the character).