PDA

View Full Version : The Old Republic Question

Tylorious
2013-11-14, 11:58 AM
So that I don't have to commit necromancy to bring this thread back to life, I figured I would create one to ask a question. I have just started a bounty hunter and was wondering what his main stat is. Also, does anyone know if there will be another expansion to this game??

Kish
2013-11-14, 12:41 PM
Aim, and no, no one knows as such, though I can't imagine Bioware will expect people to treat Makeb and daily areas as enough to keep them subscribing forever.

Tylorious
2013-11-14, 01:05 PM
Do both the mercenary and the powertech wear heavy armor?

Kish
2013-11-14, 01:08 PM
Yes. You never lose an armor proficiency once you have it and there's no such thing as non-heavy Aim armor.

Tylorious
2013-11-14, 01:13 PM
very nice, and if i want to go purely dps which class should i choose

mistformsquirrl
2013-11-14, 01:16 PM
You can choose either - one interesting thing in TOR is that every class can be DPS if you spec for it (every class gets at least one DPS tree).

Powertech is more melee/short-range ish using flamethrowers and physical attacks; Mercenary is long-range (and rather stationary as you have a lot of cast times and channel abilities).

Tylorious
2013-11-14, 01:17 PM
hmm, i really like the idea of being boba-esque, so mercenary it is correct?

mistformsquirrl
2013-11-14, 01:20 PM
Well, it's kinda hard to be Boba Fett really - you can't use Blaster Rifles* - Merc gets 2 Blaster Pistols, Powertech gets 1; Merc fires blasters and missiles a lot while the Powertech is as noted more close range and flamethrowery - generally speaking.

*TOR is weird in this respect and one of the most annoying parts of the game imo - every class has a weapon they use exclusively and that's all you get.

Kish
2013-11-14, 01:21 PM
Mercenaries use dual blaster pistols and are long-ranged. They have a healing spec and two damage specs.
Powertechs use one blaster pistol and a generator (or shield generator for tanks) and are short-ranged. They have a tanking spec and two damage specs.

I don't know which resembles Boba Fett more closely; I don't remember him using dual pistols, and I can't remember at all what range he usually fought at.

Tylorious
2013-11-14, 01:28 PM
ok, another question really quick, when you spend points in one tree, can you get them back?

mistformsquirrl
2013-11-14, 01:46 PM
Yes, if you're a subscriber you get them back free at the respec person (they're in the training area on the far end as I recall); if you're not a subscriber I think it costs credits in an escalating fashion, but I don't remember.

NEO|Phyte
2013-11-14, 03:38 PM
Regarding expansions, there is actually an upcoming one, Galactic Starfighter. Doesn't sound like it's anywhere near the size of the Makeb one, it's just adding some free-flight PvP space combat stuff. More of a content update really, but they're calling it an expansion.

And yeah, subs can respec for free, pref/f2p, iirc, gets the first one within a week free, then subsequent respecs start to cost credits. Also, there is a very nice per-character legacy unlock that lets you respec anywhere instead of having to visit the skill mentor NPC.

Philistine
2013-11-15, 12:57 AM
hmm, i really like the idea of being boba-esque, so mercenary it is correct?

It's difficult to say. Boba Fett is a secondary character (at best!), so we don't really have much to go on - just one brief sequence during the sail barge fight. Based on that sequence, though, I'd say Powertech is actually closer to matching the abilities/gadgets he demonstrated. Mercenary (I think) is closer to Jango Fett - IIRC he used dual blaster pistols on Kamino, and was a little more liberal in his use of wrist- and backpack-mounted rockets.

Kish
2013-11-15, 10:13 AM
More of a content update really, but they're calling it an expansion.
Yeah...

They can call one of their future patches a pomegranate, if they want, but I won't be trying to eat it.

supermonkeyjoe
2013-11-15, 11:52 AM
All I can add to this is that Powertechs get a rocket-powered uppercut so there is that.

JediSoth
2013-11-15, 12:57 PM
As a beta-tester of Galactic Starfighter, I can tell you it's more than just a content update. The battlegrounds for the 12v12 PVP starfighter combat are not just rehashed version of the current on-rails space shooter. They're new environments. There's new companions for people to use as crewmates if they haven't gotten their companions in the main game yet. While it's not without its flaws, it reminded me very much of the old X-Wing/TIE Fighter games.

I have a 54 Powertech with the Advanced Prototype spec. The rocket punch, two types of write rockets, two flame throwers, a shoulder-mounted rocket cannon, a grappling hook, and just plain smackin' someone with my gun are all in my arsenal at this point. My character's wife is a cute, spunky slicer and we have a Jawa on board that uses heavy weapons (as well as an female ewok who eats her defeated foes, but you have to pay extra for that).

Tylorious
2013-11-20, 08:09 AM
New question: Is there anything to use Warzone Commendations for before you hit level 55? Also are any of you playing on the Ebon Hawk server? Should I buy the Hutt Cartel expansion? And lastly, I see people all the time coming back to previous planets for bountys (high level bountys) how do i get in on this action?

NEO|Phyte
2013-11-20, 11:17 AM
New question: Is there anything to use Warzone Commendations for before you hit level 55? Also are any of you playing on the Ebon Hawk server? Should I buy the Hutt Cartel expansion? And lastly, I see people all the time coming back to previous planets for bountys (high level bountys) how do i get in on this action?

1) There are pre-55 weapons you can buy, but really the best thing is to convert the comms to Planetary comms at one of the sub55 PvP vendors.

2) I'm not, don't know about the others.

3) The expansion adds a bunch of neat stuff, so yeah. Though if you're subbing, I think you get it for free anymore. Or was that just a planned thing and it hasn't happened yet. I dunno.

4) The bounty stuff? I think that's only active during bounty hunter week, which happens once a month. When it's active, should be able to pick up bounties at the Cartel Bazaar at the fleet.

Tylorious
2013-11-20, 12:37 PM
1) There are pre-55 weapons you can buy, but really the best thing is to convert the comms to Planetary comms at one of the sub55 PvP vendors.

2) I'm not, don't know about the others.

3) The expansion adds a bunch of neat stuff, so yeah. Though if you're subbing, I think you get it for free anymore. Or was that just a planned thing and it hasn't happened yet. I dunno.

4) The bounty stuff? I think that's only active during bounty hunter week, which happens once a month. When it's active, should be able to pick up bounties at the Cartel Bazaar at the fleet.

very cool and thank you much. I am not a sub...yet. I will head to cartel bazaar as soon as i get back on.

Sith_Happens
2013-11-20, 01:30 PM

It happened a month or two ago. The weird part is they didn't change the regular price at all, so it's actually $5 cheaper (with an additional $5 back as Cartel Coins) to subscribe for a month and get the expansion free than it is to buy the expansion.

NEO|Phyte
2014-01-14, 09:14 AM
Bit of thread necromancy, but this isn't really something important enough to start up an entirely new thread about.

Reminder that today's patch is the one that lets Preferred Access players access Galactic Starfighter, if anyone was interested in it but not enough to sub for early access. Free-to-play still has another month of waiting IIRC.

Nerd-o-rama
2014-01-14, 09:43 AM
Bit of thread necromancy, but this isn't really something important enough to start up an entirely new thread about.

Reminder that today's patch is the one that lets Preferred Access players access Galactic Starfighter, if anyone was interested in it but not enough to sub for early access. Free-to-play still has another month of waiting IIRC.

I should really spring for a month of subscription time just to get Preferred Access and the expansions. I've been enjoying the game a lot more because it's been completely free, but at a certain point the annoyances of being F2P just add up.

Plus I mean, even if the Makeb content looks dumb, five extra levels is five extra levels.

Sith_Happens
2014-01-14, 01:03 PM
Plus I mean, even if the Makeb content looks dumb, five extra levels is five extra levels.

Makeb is the opposite of dumb.

Nerd-o-rama
2014-01-14, 01:20 PM
I admit I haven't looked into it too seriously, but it sure sounds like the same thing I've been doing for the last 12 planets only there are some same-sex flirt options now.

NEO|Phyte
2014-01-14, 01:23 PM
It's not exactly like they can genre shift an expansion, it's an MMO, you'll be doing MMO things.

Sith_Happens
2014-01-14, 11:28 PM
What I can say is that, at least Empire side (still haven't gotten around to leveling a Republic alt high enough), Makeb probably has one of the best stories in the game.

NEO|Phyte
2014-02-04, 10:44 AM
In SWTOR news, today was game update 2.6, bringing Galactic Starfighter to the Free-to-Play crowd, a new class of GSF ship, the Bomber, as well as a Team Deathmatch GSF gamemode. Also I guess some stuff for that part of the game where you walk around on foot and do things.

Hunter Noventa
2014-02-04, 11:22 AM
GSF is fun when the teams are about even. but when you're facing an enemy team that's half gunships the fun factor drops dramatically.

I'm still working my way through the amazing Agent storyline. I love being evil hot alien space babe james bond.

NEO|Phyte
2014-02-04, 11:34 AM
Gunships are only a problem if nobody harasses them. Half the GSs I go annoy are so tunnel visioned that they don't even budge as I blow them up.

Hunter Noventa
2014-02-04, 02:16 PM
Gunships are only a problem if nobody harasses them. Half the GSs I go annoy are so tunnel visioned that they don't even budge as I blow them up.

I always seem to get caught by them when I go after them.

You think it would be relatively easy to bracket players by how much they've invested in their ships or something, but I don't think there are enough people playing regularly to be able to do that.

NEO|Phyte
2014-02-04, 02:32 PM
The trick with approaching gunships is to never make a straight approach if they initiated the engagement. If they shot first, they're already looking at you, so coming straight at them only means they can shoot you some more very easily. Pick a direction you like roughly 90 degrees from the gunship, burn hard in that direction, then start turning back towards them. They can only rotate to track you so fast. Once you're in blaster range, then you straightline and make with the DPS. If their attention is on someone else, easy peasy, just fly straight at them and start shooting once you're in range.