PDA

View Full Version : Ribbon

Angelalex242
2013-11-14, 01:21 PM
In Final Fantasy, there is an item called a Ribbon that makes you immune to all status effects.

What would a similar item in D&D cost? Remember, it's immunity to EVERY single type of save or suck effect you can think of. Yes, even that one. If you're unsure if the Ribbon would apply, assume it does. Also would grant immunity to things like wounding (the magic item power), and bleed damage. It does not grant immunity to save or die, however. It DOES grant immunity to petrification though.

tyckspoon
2013-11-14, 01:31 PM
Low-Epic grade artifact, unpriceable.

More seriously: The rock-bottom starting price point is 180,000 GP; that's the cost for combining Mind Blank (120k as per Third Eye Conceal) and Freedom of Movement (40k x1.5, adding Ring of Freedom to the Third Eye.) And that's not even starting to touch the weird variety of things that aren't yet covered by Mind Affecting and motion-restricting, such as poisons and diseases.. or the elemental protections that go with some of the versions of the Ribbon.

limejuicepowder
2013-11-14, 01:33 PM
Sound's artifact-level to me (thus, too costly to price). DnD has a lot of status effects, and gaining immunity to all of them with one item is insanely broken. High-level play is basically all about the effects, since damage has become relatively trivial. Returning 17th+ level characters to rocket-tag damage races doesn't sound that fun, honestly.

ShurikVch
2013-11-14, 01:35 PM
If such item can exist, it will make you immortal.
Because death is status effect.

Rubik
2013-11-14, 02:05 PM
In Final Fantasy, there is an item called a Ribbon that makes you immune to all status effects.

What would a similar item in D&D cost? Remember, it's immunity to EVERY single type of save or suck effect you can think of. Yes, even that one. If you're unsure if the Ribbon would apply, assume it does. Also would grant immunity to things like wounding (the magic item power), and bleed damage. It does not grant immunity to save or die, however. It DOES grant immunity to petrification though.Actually, Angela, it only makes you immune to negative status effects.

And you could get this effect with a scroll of (Eschewed Materials) Ice Assassin, and a soul crystal each of Fusion and Astral Seed. Make an aleax ice assassin of yourself, manifest Fusion on it, followed directly by Astral Seed. Kill yourself. When you come back, you're basically immune to any- and everything that could conceivably be considered a form of 'attack.'

Angelalex242
2013-11-14, 02:22 PM
Death is not a status effect, neither is instant death. In fact, the point of the ribbon is 'immunity to everything except HP damage and save or die.'

(And yes, only negative status effects. You can still be hasted and otherwise buffed.)

Red Fel
2013-11-14, 02:29 PM
A single item that makes you immune to any status ailment would basically be artifact-level.

That said, there are ways to get the most valuable immunities off of a combination of items. The Lists of Necessary Magic Items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851) can give you guidance there, at least with regard to the more common or debilitating ailments.

NEO|Phyte
2013-11-14, 03:04 PM
Actually, Angela, it only makes you immune to negative status effects.

And you could get this effect with a scroll of (Eschewed Materials) Ice Assassin, and a soul crystal each of Fusion and Astral Seed. Make an aleax ice assassin of yourself, manifest Fusion on it, followed directly by Astral Seed. Kill yourself. When you come back, you're basically immune to any- and everything that could conceivably be considered a form of 'attack.'
Depending on how anal your DM is, wouldn't killing the fusion'd you trigger the Aleax's Sudden Death ability, sending your soul to an undefined deity to give you one last chance to bargain for your life? That seems like it might end up a bit awkward.
:edit: For that matter, Fusion requires a living creature, and as a construct, an Aleax is not alive, so it doesn't work.

subject42
2013-11-14, 03:19 PM
More seriously: The rock-bottom starting price point is 180,000 GP; that's the cost for combining Mind Blank (120k as per Third Eye Conceal) and Freedom of Movement (40k x1.5, adding Ring of Freedom to the Third Eye.) And that's not even starting to touch the weird variety of things that aren't yet covered by Mind Affecting and motion-restricting, such as poisons and diseases.. or the elemental protections that go with some of the versions of the Ribbon.

Tossing the same effect as the Talisman of Undying fortitude would cover a lot of stuff too. I don't have my books handy. What's the price on that?

Spore
2013-11-14, 03:43 PM
Ribbons are gotten close to the end of the game. And since FF is always so modest, the end boss you fight is close to the power of a demigod. So being minor artifacts is okay.

Angelalex242
2013-11-14, 04:21 PM
Just a demigod?

Chaos (FF1) is a chaotic evil Obad Hai.
Zeromus (FF4)...I'd use Vecna's stats, seeing as he's undead and all.
Kefka (FF6) is a chaotic evil Boccob.
Sephiroth (FF7) is somewhere between Hextor and Erythnul
Ultimecia (FF8)...well, I can't think of any time gods, but...
Necron (FF9) Nerull in a nutshell
Sin (FF10) God of Dreams (Yu Yevon) who flies a Tarrasque like creature around (Sin) that abuses Mass Divine Blast and Mass Divine Shield.
Shuyin (FF10-2) God of madness
Occuria (FF12) Evil Wee Jas, I'd say.
Fal'Cie (FF13) Many and Various. Lots of Fal'Cie in this game. Speaking of which, l'cie essentially get Divine Rank 0 with a catch...complete your focus, or else...
Caius (FF13-2) Kord gone Chaotic Evil and VERY nihilistic...

Uncle Pine
2013-11-14, 04:27 PM
Wouldn't a novice Iron Heart vest used to grab Iron Heart Surge only cost 3.000 gp? :smallbiggrin:

Chronos
2013-11-14, 06:25 PM
In the original, there are also only three ribbons in the entire world, not even enough to cover the whole party (though I think the Dragon Armor has the same effect, if you have a Knight to wear it), and they're hidden in three very late dungeons (IIRC, one of them is in the final dungeon itself).

Devronq
2013-11-14, 06:59 PM
Wouldn't a novice Iron Heart vest used to grab Iron Heart Surge only cost 3.000 gp? :smallbiggrin:

Damn it I wanted to say that :p but seriously consider a consent item of iron heart surge. No idea how that would work 3,000 is an obvious no but maybe some other price would be fair for this? And use a less liberal interpretation of the ability :p

Angelalex242
2013-11-14, 09:11 PM
The 3 FF1 Ribbons are found in the waterfall cave, the ocean shrine, and Sky fortress. What's found in the final dungeon includes one of the two sasukes (katanas, or ninja weapons), a procape for your other wizard, and the Masamune.

The Dragon Armor/Aegis Shield/ProRing combo isn't quite as good, but it does other stuff, and it's a pretty decent substitute.

In my Fi/Fi/RM/RM party, I've got one Knight with Dragon Armor/Aegis Shield/diamond helmet/Proring, and the other with diamond armor/diamond shield/ribbon/proring.

They perform more or less equally well.

Rubik
2013-11-14, 09:30 PM
Depending on how anal your DM is, wouldn't killing the fusion'd you trigger the Aleax's Sudden Death ability, sending your soul to an undefined deity to give you one last chance to bargain for your life? That seems like it might end up a bit awkward.Just don't off yourself while Fusion'd.

:edit: For that matter, Fusion requires a living creature, and as a construct, an Aleax is not alive, so it doesn't work.But an aleax can Shapechange at will (while retaining its special abilities), which alters its type and subtype.