PDA

View Full Version : What was in Elan's Sending?

coineineagh
2013-11-14, 01:46 PM
It's obvious that Elan needed Durkon's help to cast sending to Julio Scoundrel.

Still, it was clear that Julio was not keen on ever seeing his pupil again, because of the risk of being killed off for narrative purposes. There is probably some history with Tarquin that added an incentive for Julio to come help after all, but strangely, the main thing on my mind is:

What were the 25 words Elan sent to Julio, to summarize the situation? It's possible that multiple Sendings were used, but let's just say there was only one.

:elan:"Need good role model to help combat my evil long-lost father General Tarquin. Headed to the Windy Canyon now. Can you please help?. Elan."

It sounds pretty crummy, though. Anyone care to make a better guess?

Jasdoif
2013-11-14, 03:58 PM
"Racing twin brother to plot point, helped by long lost father who is also general. Betrayal plot twist unavoidable, need cavalry to end story arc."

ChristianSt
2013-11-14, 04:56 PM
I don't want to spoil the fun, but we don't know that he only used one sending. So it could be 50 or 100 words, too. :smalltongue:

Jasdoif
2013-11-14, 05:10 PM
I don't want to spoil the fun, but we don't know that he only used one sending. So it could be 50 or 100 words, too. :smalltongue:The OP kinda mentioned that possiblity. But even if he sent multiple, he could certainly have tried to squeeze the whole thing into 25 words before resorting to more of Durkon's spell slots. :smalltongue:

DaggerPen
2013-11-14, 10:06 PM
"Racing twin brother to plot point, helped by long lost father who is also general. Betrayal plot twist unavoidable, need cavalry to end story arc."

HA. I'd try to squeeze Tarquin's name in there, but that's otherwise *perfect*.

Porthos
2013-11-14, 10:16 PM
This is what I said elsewhere:

Help me Julio, you're my only hope. You fought Tarquin in the Dino Wars; he's back to threaten us all.

Help me Julio, you're my ---- Sending Ends

Actually Sending such trivial details such as where Elan currently is and what Tarquin is up to matters more to lesser classes that don't have the dramatic abilities that the Dashing Swordsman has. :smallwink:

Amphiox
2013-11-14, 10:27 PM
Well, given the twin parallel with Nale, and considering how Nale used Sending, it's pretty much guaranteed than Elan used several....

hagnat
2013-11-14, 10:48 PM
anyone trying to figure what Elan sent to Julio must remeber that the sending was sent before the racing for the gate actually took place

Living Oxymoron
2013-11-14, 10:51 PM

That was great! hahahahaha

Gnome Alone
2013-11-14, 11:18 PM
Well, given the twin parallel with Nale, and considering how Nale used Sending, it's pretty much guaranteed than Elan used several....

Right, since identical twins automatically act in the same way all the time.

Vinsfeld
2013-11-14, 11:30 PM

Help me Julio, you're my only hope. You fought Tarquin in the Dino Wars; he's back to threaten us all.

Actually Sending such trivial details such as where Elan currently is and what Tarquin is up to matters more to lesser classes that don't have the dramatic abilities that the Dashing Swordsman has. :smallwink:

Nice Star Wars reference. :smallbiggrin:

Bulldog Psion
2013-11-15, 12:18 AM

I believe that you made the rest of the thread superfluous, other than to applaud your post. :smallcool:

coineineagh
2013-11-15, 02:25 AM
Nice technical lingo, there. Elan would be showing off his improved bardic knowledge to his surrogate father with such a Sending.

Mastikator
2013-11-15, 02:32 AM

When has Elan ever been nearly verbose as Nale?

zimmerwald1915
2013-11-15, 06:45 AM
HA. I'd try to squeeze Tarquin's name in there, but that's otherwise *perfect*.
"Racing evil twin brother to plot point. Helped by long lost father General Tarquin. Betrayal plot twist unavoidable. Need cavalry to end story arc. Assist?"

coineineagh
2013-11-15, 07:47 AM
After rewriting the initial notes, I'd go with:

"Racing twin brother to Windy Canyon. Helped by long lost evil father General Tarquin, Empire of Blood. Betrayal twist unavoidable. Need cavalry to end arc."

I transplanted 'evil' away from Nale (who Julio knows about) to Tarquin, just so it is clear to the receiver what exactly the nature/understanding of the father relationship is, and who is the subject of the betrayal mentioned later.

Remember: Elan did not assume that Julio knew Tarquin, or had even been in the Empire of Blood before. It doesn't have a seaport either (though how relevant that is for an airship is unclear - Julio mentioned having a child in every port on the other continent, but does that mean there are airship ports?).

As for Julio's innate instincts needing no directions: This is a vague, almost joke instinct already, but for the sake of argument: Julio is not a major character in this story, so perhaps his instincts won't be so finely honed to this particular story? I'm sure the 2nd sexiest man alive has other stories to attend to, in which he is the main character of course.

Great discussion, guys. Thanks!

xroads
2013-11-15, 09:21 AM

I think we have a winner. :smallbiggrin:

Shale
2013-11-15, 09:40 AM
"I need your help! My father's an evil warlord on the Western Continent and my friends and I can't stand up to him alone!"

"On the Western Continent? I know I said I didn't want to see you again, but please tell me his name is Tarquin."

AKA_Bait
2013-11-15, 09:50 AM

Would require more than one sending though I think.

Elan: Racing twin brother to plot point, helped by long lost father who is also general. Betrayal plot twist unavoidable, need cavalry to end story arc.

Julio: Ok. Where are you?

DaggerPen
2013-11-15, 10:02 AM
"Racing evil twin brother to plot point. Helped by long lost father General Tarquin. Betrayal plot twist unavoidable. Need cavalry to end story arc. Assist?"

That'll do nicely, yes. :)

Jasdoif
2013-11-15, 12:11 PM
anyone trying to figure what Elan sent to Julio must remeber that the sending was sent before the racing for the gate actually took placeRacing for the Gate specifically, yeah.

However, OOTS left to beat Nale to the Draketooths in #818 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0818.html), and Elan's plan was put in motion in #837 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0837.html).

I believe that you made the rest of the thread superfluous, other than to applaud your post. :smallcool:Why thank you.

As for Julio's innate instincts needing no directions: This is a vague, almost joke instinct already, but for the sake of argument: Julio is not a major character in this story, so perhaps his instincts won't be so finely honed to this particular story? I'm sure the 2nd sexiest man alive has other stories to attend to, in which he is the main character of course.While this is most likely true, we're talking about a message Elan came up with. And we've seen how much "extra faith" he has in people he looks up to, like Roy's guessing-game abilities here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0185.html).

I think it's entirely reasonable to think Elan would assume that Julio's sense of the dramatic would fill in all the details, if Elan only provided the overview. It was Julio who told Elan how to locate the next scene (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0392.html) with all of Azure City as a possibility, after all; why wouldn't Elan assume his mentor could do the same on a greater scale?

(Also, Durkon's confused look here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0837.html) suggests he didn't quite understand the message(s) he sent (and possibly received; since he did the casting of Sending he'd have received Julio's responses, if any). And Durkon's displayed low faith in the power of the dramatic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0454.html). I imagine Durkon would have figured it out if specific directions/locations were used in the messaging.)

Ashiver
2013-11-15, 02:01 PM
General Tarquin, my powerful evil estranged father, revealed Xanatos Gambit that includes defeating him publicly. In isolated Windy Canyon where he will show. Need cavalry.

I was compelled to make my superfluous attempt because no one used the term Xanatos Gambit yet. :smallwink:

DaggerPen
2013-11-15, 02:52 PM
General Tarquin, my powerful evil estranged father, revealed Xanatos Gambit that includes defeating him publicly. In isolated Windy Canyon where he will show. Need cavalry.

I was compelled to make my superfluous attempt because no one used the term Xanatos Gambit yet. :smallwink:

Isn't Xanatos Gambit TVTropes-specific? I like TVTropes a fair amount, but we know Giant doesn't reference it, so I'm not sure he'd use a TVTropes-specific one, vs. ones that have been around for forever such as Jumping the Shark and Lampshade Hanging.

Snails
2013-11-15, 04:14 PM
"I need your help! My father's an evil warlord on the Western Continent and my friends and I can't stand up to him alone!"

"On the Western Continent? I know I said I didn't want to see you again, but please tell me his name is Tarquin."

Nice.

I would bet money that Julio knew (or eventually realized the connection) and feels obliged to help for that time Elan's mother helped Julio escape from a certain tyrant's prison.

Snails
2013-11-15, 04:21 PM
Julio is high enough level to have his own means to fine tune the Mechane's location. He only needs to lean on his sense of drama to get the timing right.

"Somebody, who is certainly my old friend Tarquin, is following Elan's party into the pyramid. No...not yet. This harsh expanse of featureless desert would best be used for a desperate chase scene. Elan will know what to do."

137beth
2013-11-17, 03:56 PM
"I can not say anything critical on panel, as it would ruin the chance of my plan happening the way I really want it to happen."

martianmister
2013-11-17, 04:15 PM
Need help to beat evil twin in western continent windy canyon today! Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllppppppppppppppppppp!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111!!!!!!

Euclidodese
2013-11-17, 04:30 PM
:elan:"Okay, here goes: Hi Julio. It's Elan, via my buddy Durkon. Did I mention Durkon? How are you? Do you miss me? Anyway, remember that whole quest thing I was telling you about... Wait, did I tell you about that?-"

:durkon:"That be too long already lad."

:elan:"Okay, I'll try again: Julio! You need to come help us save the world... Probably. I mean, we might be okay without you, or we might die even with your help... In which case you'd die too, which would suck, only not as bad as the world ending, apart from to you, to you it would be the world ending. But anyway-"

:durkon:"Too long again."

:elan:"Would it help if I took letters out? Like saying the letter 'U' instead of 'you' and h'lp?"

:durkon:"How about I decide on tha wordin' lad, you just give me tha broad details."

Perseus
2013-11-17, 04:48 PM
It doesn't matter what was on the sending, it didn't make it to Scoundrel, I'm pretty sure his ship would be warded against contact... Or else way to many fan-girls (or boys) would be paying for sending to get a hold of him...

Troublesome you know.

:smalltongue:

Souhiro
2013-11-18, 04:09 AM
Well, I think that the usual fangirl isn't a Lvl-7+ Cleric, nor can allow 2,275 GP to say "OhMyGawd! it's really Julio Scoundrel! ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU"

Keep in mind: If Amelia Earhart were a fan of... the beatles let's say, and she wrote in the sky "The beatles rock!! XoXo, A ERHT." I thing that Ringo and the others would feel flattered.

Not everybody has access to Sending spells!

About what was in Elan's sending? 100% sure that it was something airheaded and such, as we can espect, but the phrase "My father, General Tarquin" what what convinced him (Come on! Tarquin and Julio know themselves!)

Dracon1us
2013-11-18, 04:28 AM
After rewriting the initial notes, I'd go with:

"Racing twin brother to Windy Canyon. Helped by long lost evil father General Tarquin, Empire of Blood. Betrayal twist unavoidable. Need cavalry to end arc."

I transplanted 'evil' away from Nale (who Julio knows about) to Tarquin, just so it is clear to the receiver what exactly the nature/understanding of the father relationship is, and who is the subject of the betrayal mentioned later.

Remember: Elan did not assume that Julio knew Tarquin, or had even been in the Empire of Blood before. It doesn't have a seaport either (though how relevant that is for an airship is unclear - Julio mentioned having a child in every port on the other continent, but does that mean there are airship ports?).

As for Julio's innate instincts needing no directions: This is a vague, almost joke instinct already, but for the sake of argument: Julio is not a major character in this story, so perhaps his instincts won't be so finely honed to this particular story? I'm sure the 2nd sexiest man alive has other stories to attend to, in which he is the main character of course.

Great discussion, guys. Thanks!

http://weknowmemes.com/2012/07/man-clapping-gif/

Perseus
2013-11-18, 07:36 AM
Well, I think that the usual fangirl isn't a Lvl-7+ Cleric, nor can allow 2,275 GP to say "OhMyGawd! it's really Julio Scoundrel! ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU-ILuvU"

Keep in mind: If Amelia Earhart were a fan of... the beatles let's say, and she wrote in the sky "The beatles rock!! XoXo, A ERHT." I thing that Ringo and the others would feel flattered.

Not everybody has access to Sending spells!

About what was in Elan's sending? 100% sure that it was something airheaded and such, as we can espect, but the phrase "My father, General Tarquin" what what convinced him (Come on! Tarquin and Julio know themselves!)

Yeah but the rich ones can, and that would be enough. Sure julio may love to save a rich damsel or two each week but when they are pouring in from all over the continent... Might be to much of a good thing.

Plus you know... Julio is a wanted man by people who have divination spells. I'm sure he has quite a bit of magical protection that blocks spells . . Though I could see him paying extra to allow dramatic plot spells through...

b_jonas
2013-11-18, 08:26 AM
It's obvious that Elan needed Durkon's help to cast sending to Julio Scoundrel.

Wait, why is that obvious? Couldn't he have used Vaarsuvius' Greater Animal Messenger?

archon_huskie
2013-11-18, 09:39 AM

Elan: Racing twin brother to plot point, helped by long lost father who is also general. Betrayal plot twist unavoidable, need cavalry to end story arc.

He's a Dashing Swordsman. He'll just do this:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0392.html
Bottom of the second page.

Gorm_the_DBA
2013-11-18, 10:34 AM

Nahh....

Julio just used his 10th level class ability:

"Find Protege"

As a Feat, once per day, the Dashing Swordsman is able to gain perfect knowledge of the exact location of any Protege or Trainee he has become a mentor to. This knowledge includes information regarding the most dramatically appropriate entrance mechanism possible.

Voila

Shale
2013-11-18, 10:46 AM
Wait, why is that obvious? Couldn't he have used Vaarsuvius' Greater Animal Messenger?

That is a thing he could have chosen to do instead, but he specifically said he needed Durkon's help, and given the nature of the plan, what else could they have done but cast Sending?

Porthos
2013-11-18, 01:37 PM
Yeah but the rich ones can, and that would be enough. Sure julio may love to save a rich damsel or two each week but when they are pouring in from all over the continent... Might be to much of a good thing.

Plus you know... Julio is a wanted man by people who have divination spells. I'm sure he has quite a bit of magical protection that blocks spells . . Though I could see him paying extra to allow dramatic plot spells through...

Proposed Solution: He gave Elan a password/key to bypass those protections in case he needed to contact him. :smallsmile:

Gift Jeraff
2013-11-18, 03:05 PM

I was thinking something like this except

:durkon: Help us, Julio Scoundrel, you're our only hope. You helped Elan fight Nale; now his father, General Tarquin, threatens us all.

Help us, Julio Scoundrel--

:durkon: --you're our only hope. Also, as you can see we have a cleric so there's no need to worry if you die like you said!

Just with a dwarven accent.

Poppy Appletree
2013-11-18, 05:06 PM
Well, we have our answer. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0931.html)

Synesthesy
2013-11-18, 06:27 PM
So, did someone win?

hamishspence
2013-11-18, 06:29 PM
One person did correctly guess that there would be more than one Sending:

jogiff
2013-11-19, 12:13 AM
I think that Elan used two different Sendings.

First one probably said something along the lines of "If you want to fight an evil villain bent on conquest, go to the Windy Canyon and look for the big explosion."

Second one was probably something like: "The hero of any story can defy danger... but only a special hero can defy stories themselves. And wouldn't that make a cool story anyway?"

eilandesq
2013-11-19, 12:34 AM
I wonder if the exact wording of Julio's replies will wind up as bonus content in the book.

Trillium
2013-11-19, 03:50 AM
I wonder if the exact wording of Julio's replies will wind up as bonus content in the book.

I think it was simply "Get bent!".

I mean, some brat asks you to go die for him! What would you say to that?

Chantelune
2013-11-19, 04:33 AM
I mean, some brat asks you to go die for him! What would you say to that?

"How cool will I look like trying ?"

This is Julio Scoundrél we're talking about. :smallcool:

coineineagh
2013-11-19, 05:27 AM
well, it looks like no one got it exactly right. At least I was right that Julio did need directions:smallbiggrin:

more than 1 Sending was used, but the 2nd one was necessary for persuasion, while the first didn't even summarize the situation at all. The persuasion speech wouldn't have convinced me to go, but perhaps I don't understand it.:smallconfused:

it looks like there will be a moderately big reveal coming up, when Tarquin reveals that Elan is his son. I wonder if that changes the dynamics of the narrative (making Tarkie undefeatable..?), and whether Julio will feel betrayed because Elan withheld that info.

If there was no big explosion, Elan would have sent Julio to the Windy canyon for no reason. I guess it's better if cavalry doesn't show up after a victory - it would make Julio feel unnecessary.

littlebum2002
2013-11-19, 06:20 AM

I don't know. As someone pointed out, he's basically asking Julio to die for him. The language Julio used in reply might not be appropriate for the book...

archon_huskie
2013-11-19, 11:56 AM
So, did someone win?

When the Giant updates OotS, we all win!