PDA

View Full Version : Setting Sun Whipper

Baroknik
2013-11-14, 01:54 PM
Hey all,
Just curious about a few mechanics with using a whip for maneuvers.
1) Can you use whips for maneuvers? I can't find any reason why not, but just wanted to clarify.

2) Do maneuvers that add Untyped dice of damage (for example, sapphire nightmare blade) deal lethal, non-lethal, or is it wielded choice?

3) If I used a whip to Mighty Throw an opponent 15 ft away, I can still have him land 10 feet on the opposite side of me, right? (25 feet of total movement)

4) Clever Positioning CAN provoke AoO's; so if you do so with a whip from 15 feet with an off-hand weapon equipped, do you get an AoO as the opponent zips by and past you? (And vice versa)

5) Similar to 4, do you really even move through the inner two squares? It just says you trade spaces, so does it act similarly to baleful transposition?

AstralFire
2013-11-14, 02:14 PM
1) Yes, but you'll need to get around their problem of doing no damage.

A whip deals nonlethal damage. It deals no damage to any creature with an armor bonus of +1 or higher or a natural armor bonus of +3 or higher. The whip is treated as a melee weapon with 15-foot reach, though you don’t threaten the area into which you can make an attack. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, you can use it against foes anywhere within your reach (including adjacent foes).
A whip-dagger (3.0, but basically 'whip but lethal for a little more money') will solve the issue.
2) Damage type as the weapon.
3) Yes.
4) Whips don't threaten. A few class features can get around this. If you do, I'd still say 'no', but open to argument.
5) You need line of effect to make the attack, and it doesn't work if you or the opponent would end in a wall or impassable terrain feature. It's not supernatural. Yes, you pass through all the squares.

Baroknik
2013-11-14, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the reply, those basically agree with my thoughts. The Untyped damage = damage type of weapon is unfortunate, but typed damage (fire/cold) can still get around that from desert wind/shadow hand, I suppose.

Though in regards to the AoO when passing question, I was asking about with an off-hand weapon that DOES threaten (for example a spike gauntlet).

ShurikVch
2013-11-14, 02:33 PM
1) Can you use whips for maneuvers?
Tarquin did it. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0929.html) (Probably, Comet Throw.)

AstralFire
2013-11-14, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the reply, those basically agree with my thoughts. The Untyped damage = damage type of weapon is unfortunate, but typed damage (fire/cold) can still get around that from desert wind/shadow hand, I suppose.

Though in regards to the AoO when passing question, I was asking about with an off-hand weapon that DOES threaten (for example a spike gauntlet).

Oops, my bad. Bored in a meeting, miss stuff.

No whip-dagger?

Hrm... that last is interesting. I'd allow it. It makes sense thematically, and I like anything that makes TWF work in a way besides Sword Rain/Hundred Hand Slap/Lightning Kick. I'm unsure if there's a general rule on AoOs you force though.

Baroknik
2013-11-14, 02:42 PM
I'm not really worried about the whip-dagger difference, it's a very low-op campaign that I'm joining set in the Avatar: tLAB world, which means not much armor anyway, and I can always just punch stuff otherwise. The whip is preferable since the DM insists on being aged 12-18 and so it tends to be fairly non-lethal. I'm at work right now, will post a full build when I get a chance.

AstralFire
2013-11-14, 02:51 PM
I'm not really worried about the whip-dagger difference, it's a very low-op campaign that I'm joining set in the Avatar: tLAB world, which means not much armor anyway, and I can always just punch stuff otherwise. The whip is preferable since the DM insists on being aged 12-18 and so it tends to be fairly non-lethal. I'm at work right now, will post a full build when I get a chance.

Makes sense, sounds pretty cool.

I was thinking about trying to make the four bending disciplines via ToB this weekend, in an amusing coinkydink. I'd love to see how you end up.

Baroknik
2013-11-14, 02:53 PM
We're using the system that was home brewed here. It used to be on brainmurk, but has since been taken down. It's a pretty good and nearly complete system

AstralFire
2013-11-14, 03:05 PM
We're using the system that was home brewed here. It used to be on brainmurk, but has since been taken down. It's a pretty good and nearly complete system

You mean Avatar d20? I worked on it, I wasn't too fond of it.
I worked on two (http://www.scribd.com/doc/36548716/Avatar-the-Last-d20-Supplement-MAIN-SOURCE) different (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119433) successors to varying degrees of success. Still not very happy about them. Each time I fixed problems, I added a newer type of product.

Baroknik
2013-11-14, 03:17 PM
Ah yeah, we're using the scribd version of it. I'm not playing a bender, so I'm less inclined to know about balance issues. I'm also the only one with any level of optimization background, so it's hard. To tell if problems are from players or the system wrt bending...

AstralFire
2013-11-14, 03:21 PM
Ah yeah, we're using the scribd version of it. I'm not playing a bender, so I'm less inclined to know about balance issues. I'm also the only one with any level of optimization background, so it's hard. To tell if problems are from players or the system wrt bending...

:D Well, I'm kind of extremely tickled that my version's being used! I worked hard on it, trying to shape, flesh out and improve the GitP version, but my problem with it isn't balance - the Brilliant Gameologists guys, especially dman and AlterFrom, did AMAZING work there, keeping me in check. I felt that I had ultimately made it too slow to actually play in combat quickly. Let me know how it goes.