PDA

View Full Version : [Mutants & Masterminds 2E] Some power questions

amnarii
2013-11-14, 04:01 PM
So I am playing in a M&M2e game soon, and have not played it in years. I have forgotten a ton, though looking over my books it is familiar enough, I think I have got it... just trying to figure out the best way to create a character.

The concept it; a handicapped technopathic human, who can control machines and is a bit of a gadgeteer; who has engineered a nanobot swarm which can assume a few different forms, and he can temporarily possess (leaving his body behind, unconscious).

So my first thought was actually shapeshifting or morphing, but that didn't seem to fit the concept. Then I thought of alternate forms; and with the projection flaw, it seems to fit perfectly.

For now, I am looking at 3 forms; a land vehicle (probably SUVish), an air vehicle (probably helicopter), and a battle suit. Is my mathe here correct; 10 ranks of alternate form, with the projection flaw, costs 40PP. Two additional forms (each a power feat, alternate power) would add 2, for a total of 42PP. I then get 50PP per each of the 3 forms.

If I have 'universal' powers, taken with the remaining 108PP, they should work across all forms, correct - outside of the alternate form array - or do they get 'left behind' in my body when I am in the projected forms?

For the vehicles, I will need growth, rank 8ish, and with the permanent flaw and full power drawback, it would cost 15PP, right? (growth is 3/rank, the permanent brings it down to 2/rank, and full power is -1)

For the land vehicle I would need the speed power, at around rank 4 (100MPH), which is 4PP; and the air vehicle would need the flight power, at around rank 7 (1,000 MPH - about halfway between the speed of a real life helicopter and a real life jet; so a jet helicopter), which is 14PP.

So now, just covering size and movement, I have 19PP and 29PP spent for those two forms. Is there anything else I need to add to them just to simulate a standard vehicle? Any other suggestions on how to spend the remaining points on those two forms? What about the 'battlesuit' - I have no idea what I want to do with it yet; except maybe using corrode and distintegrate as the attacks (cause of the nanobots, eating up stuff)... any suggestions there?

I am thinking for all of the nanobot forms, adding a 10 point immunity; Aging{1}, Disease{1}, Poison{1}, Suffocation{2}, Electricity{5} - does that seem appropriate?

As to the other powers, outside that array - I want to have animate objects (machines), comprehend (machines), datalink (w/ machine control), and super senses (radio); is any of that unnecessary and/or redundant? If I figured right, I am looking at roughly 24PP for those powers. With the 42 point alternate forms, that is 66 spent out of 150. I intend to have some pretty high skills for manipulating computers and machines; anything else you would recommend here?

So basically, to sum up my post; I am looking to build the described character, and would appreciate you checking my calculations thus far, and also providing recommendations on further fleshing out the character's attributes, skills, powers, and equipment.

Thanks!

Jlerpy
2013-11-15, 02:05 AM
Helicopter's listed as Speed 5. Speed 7 breaks the sound barrier, which seems silly for a helicopter. Maybe 6 will suffice. That's still 500 MPH.

I don't think you can have Full Power AND Permanent.

Seems like you should probably have 0 Con and Immunity to Fortitude Effects for the Alternate Forms.

How much Toughness and Impervious are you thinking about?

Also, you've posted this thread twice.

amnarii
2013-11-15, 08:06 AM
Helicopter's listed as Speed 5. Speed 7 breaks the sound barrier, which seems silly for a helicopter. Maybe 6 will suffice. That's still 500 MPH.

I don't think you can have Full Power AND Permanent.

Seems like you should probably have 0 Con and Immunity to Fortitude Effects for the Alternate Forms.

How much Toughness and Impervious are you thinking about?

Also, you've posted this thread twice.
Real life helicopters can go faster than 100mph (up to near 200 for the fastest), and I was thinking of a 'jet' helicopter; something akin to airwolf if you remember that...but I could easily scale it down to 6 instead of 7.

And that makes sense - I added full power to represent he can't scale the vehicles up and down; but as permanent I guess it kindof already is full power, isn't it?

I had not thought about the con/fortitude effects, but that makes a lot of sense as well.

I had not thought about toughness or impervious; but those seem almost mandatory to simulate a vehicle. I'll figure out how much of those I can afford.

As to the double post... the only thing I can think of is after I posted, I edited the original. Maybe it created a second copy when I made the edit? Since I changed the title in my edit, I can tell this is the pre-edited version of the post (I think changing the title was one of the only edits)...

Jlerpy
2013-11-15, 08:12 AM
Flight 5 is 250 MPH, which is plenty for a regular chopper (the record is not quite 300 MPH), so 6 seems good for a "jet helicopter".

amnarii
2013-11-15, 01:30 PM
Somehow, I was looking one step off on the chart, thinking flight 5 was 100MPH. 500MPH should be plenty fast, you are correct.

Tengu_temp
2013-11-15, 10:23 PM
Remember that characters can move at twice their speed, or even 4 times their speed for a limited period of time, if they focus on moving and do nothing else. For a vehicle, on the other hand, the speed listed is the maximum speed it can reach - it won't go any faster.