PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Clericzilla method?

Kaeso
2013-11-14, 04:23 PM
I think I may have stumbled upon a really abusive Clericzilla method. The usual method is the feat intensive Persist Divine Metamagic route for Divine Power, with Ordained Champion being a popular alternative (as it allows you to cast Divine Power spontaneously and as a swift action), but there might be an even more abuse method that costs neither spell levels nor feats. Divine power is a 4th level spell, thus available in wand format. This means that for a relatively low gp cost (and the cost of a feat and xp, if you want to make your own), you can get 50 charges of Divine Power, usable in the first round of each encounter. That sounds extremely abusive to me and I've never seen this mentioned as an alternative to the feat-sink DMM Persist Cleric, so this makes me wonder if I'm overlooking some flaw.

Pluto!
2013-11-14, 04:35 PM
The action cost is a huge part of why is DMM: Persist is actually good. If you spend the first round of a 3-4 round fight activating a wand buff, that buff has to have a huge effect on the game for that activation to be even worth using, instead of spending the turn running up to something and whacking it with your mace. Divine Power is fine and all, but it's pretty dubiously worthwhile when it competes for actions with your attack routine, and doubly so when it's costing 420gp per activation.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-14, 05:42 PM
You're talking 20,000 gold wands. That's not going to be viable until fairly late game. Meanwhile, I can get a persistent spell up at first level without too much trouble, and by third without even trying.

More importantly, the CODzilla isn't about one good buff. It's about stacking multiple powerful beneficial spells-- Divine Power and Righteous Might and Greater Magic Weapon and...

eggynack
2013-11-14, 05:54 PM
Yeah, as has been noted, action cost is the big consideration. Using a charge from a wand to cast divine power is about as good as just casting it, and maybe a bit worse. You're getting an effect that's at a pretty perfectly normal power level, or as normal as a good 4th level spell is. Also, just consider the overall cost here. You're paying 21,000 GP for a wand of divine power, which comes out to a cost of 420 GP a charge. Assuming four encounters a day, you're running through 1680 GP a day. How long do you really think you can sustain that? Moreover, at what level do you think you can sustain that? It's just not a great idea.