PDA

View Full Version : NPC as PC

CAHaugen
2013-11-14, 06:47 PM
I've been browsing for a really good race to start off as. I was wanting something with high Dexterity and / or high Wisdom. There were some great options but, like the Galora, most were either a bit to excessive (+10 Dex is great, but come on it's pretty OP for 1st Level) while many others barely registered as "useful".

I found one, though, called a Dark Stalker, pages 38-39 in Fiend Folio. I was wanting to know how to convert it into a PC. I know the rules for Monsterous Humanoids, but the Dark Stalker is not a Monsterous Humanoid; It is a regular Humanoid.

I just wanted to be sure to set it up right, that's all.

Here's it's stats for a quick reference. I assume it's per standard; Clear out the Feats / Skills, -10 / -11 to all Ability Scores depending if it ends in an even or an odd, blah blah blah.

Oh, and as for the +5 LA, I don't like the buyout system and our group thinks LA is a bit excessive so we are just throwing it out the window entirely. Not sure if it's technically needed, but hey whatever.

Here is a URL for what he's got. I don't want to type it all, then type what I assume the corrected material is.

http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/mainlist2.pl?name=Dark_Stalker

So, would it become the following, or stay the same Less the armor and attacks, of course as those can vary with personal belongings

HD: 3d8
Speed: 30 feet
Base Attack: +2 (Not sure if I keep this or not?)
Special Attacks: Fog Cloud (2 / day), Poison Use, Shadow Cloak, Sneak Attack +3d6
Saves: Throw out, correct? No bonuses at 1st Level?
Skills: Throw out?
Abilities: Str +2, Dex +6, Con +2, Int +2, Wis +4, Cha +6
Feats: +2 Bonus Feats; Need not be Improved Initiative & Lightning Reflexes, correct? I'll take 'em, but still.

Studoku
2013-11-14, 06:59 PM
If it has racial hit dice, it doesn't matter what type they are. They're part of your character and count towards his ECL. Humanoids are only the exception if they have 1HD, which the Dark Stalker does not.

Bearing that in mind, if your DM thinks ignoring the level adjustment is ok, the stats for an ECL 3 Dark Stalker from your source with no levels would be as follows:
Medium Humanoid
+4 Str, +6 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Int, +4 Wis, +6 Cha
BAB +1
Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +1 base saves
2 Feats (the same as any level 3 character has)
(2+ int)*6 skill points (from 3 levels)
Fog cloud, poison use, shadow cloak as per the description in the book- your source doesn't mention details.
Sneak attack +3d6

Which is pretty sweet for a level 3 character if your DM's letting you get away with it.

Brookshw
2013-11-14, 07:09 PM
Compared to half fiend that +5 seems kinda silly really.

CAHaugen
2013-11-14, 07:13 PM
Which is pretty sweet for a level 3 character if your DM's letting you get away with it.

Our games run really high powered because the people we tend to play with enjoy being some sort of warrior-like build or some sort of rogue-like build. We get a lot of mounted combat, constructs, a few small dragons (So far x2 Hawk Dragons), and the like. My DM isn't really big on magical enemies but he does supplement and pepper when required. He tends to stay more so the route of involving us in some sort of war-like situation Think Skyrim; Civil War.

He homebrews the whole story but gets his material from books and balanced homebrew, often going into chatsites himself to get answers, suggestions, and assistance.

As of now things have been running smoothly (It's his 1st time DMing), so a lot of things are pretty laid back. However now that he's getting the knack of things he wants to start a new idea. Ironically for not being an Elder Scrolls fan, his new idea is partly based upon Battlespire in which we are in a massive tower, fighting our way through it.

However, his idea is that this tower slowly descends into Hell. Literally he just wants to see how long we can survive.