PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Coterminous Dimensions

Learuis
2013-11-14, 07:51 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0275.html

The gods had been clever and built their planet to exist in multiple coterminous dimensions, thus blocking the only vibrational frequencies that the Snarl could have used to escape from its cell.

Do you think coterminous means that the other places (such as the Semi-Elemental Plan of Ranch Dressing) has the same boundaries as the prime material plane - or that multiple alternate dimensions that mirror ours were created to keep the Snarl from using those frequencies? The rift world could be one of these dimensions connected to ours by the rift.

And what does that imply? I don't know. String theory is hard.

DaggerPen
2013-11-14, 09:43 PM
String theory is hard, but fortunately, the Giant went to art school (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9152698#post).

More seriously, that's actually a really interesting theory! I'd figured that line was specifically referencing the other planes, but the idea that the rifts might be connecting through to a mirror reality on another side of the Snarl's prison is fascinating, and has not to my knowledge been proposed before.

Learuis
2013-11-15, 11:01 AM
I was thinking that the other worlds might not be exact mirrors, but similar to our world with some changes. It appeared to be a body of water on the other side of the rift - which might mean that where the desert was in our world, an ocean sits in that world.

Could multiple versions of the OOTS be trying to prevent the Snarl from escaping its prison in the other dimensions at the same time? Where is the Snarl, anyway?

It still doesn't answer why Soon Kim's wife was allegedly killed by the Snarl, or why Lirian was investigating disappearances. Maybe one of the alternate universes figured out what the Snarl was and is using the rift as an invasion point into our universe, and had to kill anyone who got too close to learning about their plans.

Maybe I have been watching too much Fringe.

NerdyKris
2013-11-15, 11:02 AM
Possibly. But I'm wondering if Shojo wasn't just using big words to obfuscate the truth. (I used a big word! :elan:) Perhaps to get the Order to not question it too much, and Vaarsuvius to accept the explanation without delving too deeply to avoid looking like he/she isn't the smartest person in the room.

Especially given that the rifts aren't working like the story said, according to both Redcloak and Vaarsuvius.

Douglas
2013-11-15, 12:48 PM
I think it's just referring to things like the Ethereal and Shadow planes.

Emanick
2013-11-15, 02:31 PM
I was thinking that the other worlds might not be exact mirrors, but similar to our world with some changes. It appeared to be a body of water on the other side of the rift - which might mean that where the desert was in our world, an ocean sits in that world.

Could multiple versions of the OOTS be trying to prevent the Snarl from escaping its prison in the other dimensions at the same time? Where is the Snarl, anyway?

It still doesn't answer why Soon Kim's wife was allegedly killed by the Snarl, or why Lirian was investigating disappearances. Maybe one of the alternate universes figured out what the Snarl was and is using the rift as an invasion point into our universe, and had to kill anyone who got too close to learning about their plans.

Maybe I have been watching too much Fringe.

Can't be bothered to find the exact quote right now, but Rich said that SnarlWorld is not our own world.

NerdyKris
2013-11-15, 02:37 PM
Can't be bothered to find the exact quote right now, but Rich said that SnarlWorld is not our own world.

It was in the commentary of Don't Split the Party. In the last one, describing Blackwing telling V what he saw in the rift.

Learuis
2013-11-15, 04:12 PM
Anyone have the exact quote? I don't have that book. Though I am not suggesting that it's our world, but a mirror / alternate version.

NerdyKris
2013-11-15, 04:35 PM
I just reprinted it in another post, but the exact wording is

And no, it's not our Earth.

surrounded by text saying we now know there's something odd about the nature of the rifts as Shojo told it.

ti'esar
2013-11-15, 05:22 PM
Anyone have the exact quote? I don't have that book. Though I am not suggesting that it's our world, but a mirror / alternate version.

...I thought you were saying that the world in the rift is a mirror/alternate version of the Stickworld, which would make much more sense (though I personally don't believe it).

Learuis
2013-11-15, 06:52 PM
Hahaha nooo, definitely not suggesting that it is earth (as in the one where you and I live). I was thinking that it could be an alternate version of the world the OoTS live in, suggested by the phrase "multiple coterminous dimensions"