PDA

View Full Version : Did Elan ever tell the rest of the party about his first encounter with Julio?

Gift Jeraff
2013-11-14, 08:24 PM
Other than Durkon I guess.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0528.html

:roy: And I can't imagine one of us stumbling over a friendly airship captain who can conveniently whisk us there a second time.

Does "a second time" refer to the convenient whisking (in which case Roy doesn't know about Julio), or does it refer to the friendly airship captain (in which case Roy does know about Julio)? I always assumed it was the former, because it's funnier and I don't think Elan ever had the opportunity to explain his whirlwind adventure with Thog.

HylianKnight
2013-11-14, 09:00 PM
Because he says "one of us" I'm pretty sure it is the latter (even if the former would be funnier).

Gift Jeraff
2013-11-14, 09:07 PM
Ah, good point. Didn't catch that.

NerdyKris
2013-11-15, 10:59 AM
It's almost guaranteed that Elan would tell the party about Julio. There's really no way to not tell them.

:roy: Wait, where were you?

:elan: Cliffport!

:roy: So how did you get here?

:elan: An airship captain gave me a lift!

:roy: Why are you making puns when you attack? (any point afterwards where Roy is with him in a fight)

:elan: Because he taught me a new prestige class!

Really, the only way to not mention his name, or at least that there was an airship captain, would have required an amount of subterfuge that Roy would not have accepted as an answer.

I'm almost certain the next strip is going to have a comment from Roy showing just how little he remembers about Julio, though.

littlebum2002
2013-11-15, 11:10 AM
It's almost guaranteed that Elan would tell the party about Julio. There's really no way to not tell them.

:roy: Wait, where were you?

:elan: Cliffport!

:roy: So how did you get here?

:elan: An airship captain gave me a lift!

:roy: Why are you making puns when you attack? (any point afterwards where Roy is with him in a fight)

:elan: Because he taught me a new prestige class!

Really, the only way to not mention his name, or at least that there was an airship captain, would have required an amount of subterfuge that Roy would not have accepted as an answer.

I'm almost certain the next strip is going to have a comment from Roy showing just how little he remembers about Julio, though.

Agreed. Remember, Elan has already told the group he is a Dashing Swordsman. (There was a strip where he mentioned that he was taking a level in Bard for Neutralize Poison instead of another level in Dashing Swordsman, although since DS is clearly a bard prestige class, it should have had some sort of spellcasting levelling). Since the gang knows he has levels in an extremely obscure PrC, it seems reasonable that they also know how he learned it.

Zmeoaice
2013-11-15, 11:53 AM
Plus, they'd likely know who Julio is, since he's been on magazines.

Synesthesy
2013-11-15, 12:36 PM
since DS is clearly a bard prestige class

I don't think. Actually, DS seems to me more like a fighting class for someone who doesn't have enough force but has more charisma. It would be good for a fighter, for a Sorcerer, for a Bard, for everyone has good charisma. Maybe there could be some charisma caster with DS class.

However, I say that DS is a class usefull for people who know that they are acting "beyond the fourth wall", and I think that Tarquin could be a perfect DS or something similar.
He won't be it, but he would be a perfect one :smallwink:

Bird
2013-11-15, 12:44 PM

While I agree that Elan would have told the party about his adventure, Roy has demonstrated repeatedly that he would prefer to hear as little about what Elan has been up to as possible. (Granted, that's changing for him now, somewhat.)

littlebum2002
2013-11-15, 01:22 PM
I don't think. Actually, DS seems to me more like a fighting class for someone who doesn't have enough force but has more charisma. It would be good for a fighter, for a Sorcerer, for a Bard, for everyone has good charisma. Maybe there could be some charisma caster with DS class.

However, I say that DS is a class usefull for people who know that they are acting "beyond the fourth wall", and I think that Tarquin could be a perfect DS or something similar.
He won't be it, but he would be a perfect one :smallwink:

Sorcerer? Maybe, to become a Gish. Again, though, it would have spellcasting advancement. A fighter? I don't think most people who have Charisma higher than their Strength become fighters anyway. I mean there might be one or two who do it just because, but I doubt the class is designed for them in mind. I think it is designed for melee classes who have high Charisma like....bards.