PDA

View Full Version : Night Times [D&D 3.5 Campaign]

Haluesen
2013-11-14, 09:27 PM
Campaign Opening
This is the land of vast deserts, the home of princes and power, one of the many kingdoms of the continent called Diama. A place of constantly shifting power and allegiance, where battles are dictated by coin and prestige, and wars won with cunning and control. You are traveling with a caravan, mostly full of trader families but a couple others of varying occupations and histories. Leaving one kingdom, heading into the lands run by Prince Valanrik, you have your own reasons for making this long journey.

You, along with your fellow traveler and familiar, continue across the desert trail with 4 wagons of goods. The heads of the few families lead their wagons, and are untalkative at best. There are also a score of guards around, personally hired to make this journey as safe as possible. About half the assembled guards are human, with the rest being the elven; some the natural painted elves of the region, the rest of one of the lone desert elf clans in this specific area. Their leader walks near the front of the caravan, his station obvious by his red glistening armor and weapon, and his focused confidence at commanding the others.

Other than them, a single unaffiliated trader walks with a small cart being pulled by a camel rather than the normal strong trained horses here, with his goods covered by a thick blanket. He gives a short wave and a smile to anyone who bothers to give him even a passing glance. Judging by his small stature he is likely some type of demihuman, but his features are too covered to be sure of what exactly he is. There are also a couple children, specifically a small girl and boy, running around the wagons, unheeding the words of their parents to be calm. They played tag with energy and gusto not often seen while traveling beneath the unblocked sun.
The caravan has been traveling for about 2 days now. The leader of the guard has told everyone there that we should be there before nightfall, into the large town of Horgak’s Peak. Even now it can almost be seen at a distance, not the town itself but the large plateau it is built upon.
You will be there very soon now. So, how do you spend your time on this journey now?

http://i43.tinypic.com/30ufnth.jpg

EdroGrimshell
2013-11-14, 10:39 PM
Serra Dertak sat in the caravan, keeping out of the heat while Slumber played with the children. Her scarf was wrapped over her head and she had on a pair of dark lenses that hid her red eyes. The other merchants had been nervous around her, some believed her a mage, others believed her a psion of some strength, and some were just unnerved by Edward, her travelling companion. However, they all seemed to love Slumber, especially the kids, her natural playfulness and strange cuteness made her quite loveable, even the guards had a soft spot for the little fey.

Right now, Slumber was playing tag with the children, running around rather than flying, it brought smiles to the faces of many on the caravan, and the kids were having fun while keeping relatively close to the caravan. Once the kids grew tired, she'd sing for them, like she had the day before, so they'd sleep even in the heat of the day.

Edward on the other hand, had grown bored and wandered over to the merchant with the camel and began talking to him, making idle conversation for the most part, though he eventually asks, "I'm curious, what do you deal in?"

Serra, however, went to the front of the caravan to talk to the leader, "mind a little conversation?" she asks the man in red armor. She knew her maneuverability and weapon would give her the advantage against someone like him, but she didn't intend to have to use it. Her voice was a little flat, and had a touch of what could only be described as a low roll.

Haluesen
2013-11-14, 11:02 PM
The small merchant smiled at Edward and politely responded through much of the conversation, but was obviously more energetic to speak of his trade. "Well my good sir, most of my work done is in general trade. Simple goods to be traded for other goods where they are needed. Salt, cloth, uncut gems, or sometimes better worked ones when I am able to get ahold of them. I also have a side business in various pieces of kit. Gear for an assortment of people, from the group of men journeying in search of a new oasis, to the intrepid adventurer hoping to hunt through ancient ruins. That is my stock and trade." He lifted the blanket just slightly, so that Edward could see various supplies. Lamps, clothing, gear of many types all lay within his cart. "I will sometimes also take on requests for a decent fee since I do more varied and consistent travel than most caravans with their routes and patterns."

The children did greatly love Slumber, and though she did stick out as a different sort of creature in this land, she was well adored for her demeanor and way with the kids. As the past day, the kids did go to lay and rest, and again they waited eagerly to hear more of Slumber's music.

The leader of the guard smiled a bit and nodded to Serra "I do not mind at all. It gives me something else to do, besides stare around. Are you planning to stop in Horgak's Peak, or are you with the caravan all the way to Herippas City?" He continued to walk alongside the front wagon of the caravan, readjusting his chain suit in the heat and keeping his hood low enough to keep the sun from his eyes, but tried to leave more of his face exposed if he could.

EdroGrimshell
2013-11-14, 11:34 PM
"I'm not sure, I'm new to the area and have yet to hear about our locations beyond their name and who the leaders are," Serra replies, "and my trade is rather unique, so the more you can tell, the better handle I can get on where I can best ply my abilities."

Slumber begins a low song, a lullaby she'd heard a mother sing when they had been on the ship, she sang it word for word, having only learned what it meant when Serra had translated it from elven. A simple song, really, but it sounded so beautiful in elven.

"Interesting, do you carry herbs, alchemical reagents, or lab equipment?" Edward asks curiously.

Haluesen
2013-11-14, 11:49 PM
The warrior nodded and crossed his arms as he took time to think. "Well Horgak's Peak is a nice enough town. Has the typical essentials, so it is an easy place to stop for trade. It also has a home for the regional Order of the Wolverine, which are a sort of warriors guild that does work as long as there is a promise of great battle. I tend to avoid them though. Some members are known to take more unscrupulous work." He sighed and shook his head. "Herippas City is the current capital of Prince Valanrik's land. It is farther from here, another few days of traveling. But it is the center of commerce for the region, so you are likely to find more goods and opportunities out that way. They also have more of the various Order bases too, and they do most of the hiring for unique work. The tend to get most of the jobs from people around here, but are sometimes willing to shuffle the jobs off to freelancers. It is also the best place to get news on local events and the current political situation."

The trader sort of shrugged, and spoke in his low cordial voice. "Well yes and no sir. I do not have any reagents or herbs with me, unless you mean to make tea, but for some reason I don't feel that's the case." He chuckled a bit. "But yes I do have the proper materials to set up a small alchemy lab. A lucky find I managed to buy off a family two towns back. Still in good shape too."

The various families who were around to hear smiled and quietly clapped for Slumber. They weren't quite as wealthy as the leading families, but they did have more than enough coin to spare for such kindness and a lovely tune as well. They gave Slumber a total or 17 gp in a small cloth bag, lined with silver embroidery.

EdroGrimshell
2013-11-15, 12:34 AM
"Interesting," Serra says in regards to Horgak's Peak, "the Order of the Wolverine sound like they'd make good drinking buddies, but little more than that. Anything on the flora and fauna of the area?" If I stop there I'd have to see what they see as a 'great battle', if I could hire them for aid with the bigger creatures I may just settle there.

"It sounds like it'd be an area that would be harder to stay unattached to one of the Orders, but it may be worth looking into. Major trading cities always have the most interesting things going through them," and a decent black market if you know where to look, she says, "although I doubt anyone has my... unique set of skills, I believe I'm the only one that knows the trade at all."

"I'm not much for politics, none of my family has been, but it does sound like the better of the two destinations."

"Hm, once Serra and I find a place to set up shop, an alchemy lab would come in handy," Edward says lightly, "will you be stopping at the same towns as this caravan? If so we'll see if we can't set up shop somewhere and purchase the lab equipment before you leave town. Until then, we'd really have no place to put it."

Slumber chirps, a little surprised that she got paid for her song, a quick "thank you," is all she can think to say. She grabs the bag lightly, and lifts off, flying over to Serra to drop off the coin.

When Slumber arrives, she finds Serra talking to the armored man, so she just lands on her backpack, "Serra, look look," she says, holding up the coin pouch, "they gave me gold for my singing!" she says happily in Draconic as said amalgamist looks at the bag of gold.

Serra smiles at the excitable insect, "How about we set up a pouch for you, then. Any gold you earn, you can keep. I'll carry it so you don't tire yourself out, okay?" she replies in Common, petting the furry part of Slumber's thorax. She opens a pouch and Slumber empties the coin purse into the pouch, then flies off to return the pouch, once again saying thank you for the gold. If allowed to keep the pouch, she'd fly back and see if it could be fashioned into a carry bag.

Haluesen
2013-11-15, 02:54 PM
The red-armored warrior smirked a bit when she talked about unique skills but nodded politely. "Well most of the continent has the same plant like, shrubs and weeds, some cacti, and a few larger trees where there is actually the water for them to grow. I don't know of any particular types of flower or similar you may be looking for, it's not my area of expertise. As for the politics, unless you are one of the merchant families or groups, or aim to work for one of them, it isn't something that should bother you. In this region the Prince Valanrik runs things, and has alliances with the other local larger trading groups, particularly the Ze-kamet family and the Central Great Wastes trading group. That's about the important bits here at least. And there are different thing for where each area is controlled by different Princes or Princesses or what have you."

Meanwhile the small merchant sort of shrugged and smiled. "Perhaps. I know I am going with them to Horgak's Peak, and stopping there to make trade for a bit. As to whether I will continue with them to the city, I'll just have to decide later. If not I'm not too bothered over it. I can at least hold onto these supplies for you. I'll keep them in reserve." He winked at Edward then offered a hand. "Haven't rightly introduced myself yet. m' Name's Brogan."

The leader of the guard watched as Serra and Slumber conversed, speaking more after she left. "That is an interesting friend you have there. Haven't seen creatures like that much in these parts, especially not ones that could talk, and sing. Will the mysteries of this world ever cease?" He chuckled softly.

And the merchants who gave Slumber the bag insisted that she keep it; a minor gift to offer for the gratitude.

EdroGrimshell
2013-11-15, 09:21 PM
"She's a beautiful creature, and quite intelligent, she's actually related to the tirbana eyewing according to Edward, nasty beasts that use humans to incubate their young, but the mindleech eyewing are so different from them it's hard to believe they're related at all," she looks back at the captain, "They're rare even in their homelands to the north, mainly because they feed on psionic energy and there are very few psions there. They'd likely thrive here, they'd make great companions even for the common folk with some psionic potential. Even then, they can live on plants and smaller insects."

"Edward Bones, though most call me Dr. Bones," Edward replies, "and that's much appreciated. Perhaps we could do dealings in the future, I'm sure alchemical items must be in high demand, among both adventurers and the common man," he continues, "Serra, Slumber, and I are all decent alchemists and could do commissions easily enough."

Slumber rubs into the merchants, a bit like a cat, then flies back to Serra, resting on her shoulder as she continues talks with the captain, "You know, I asked about the fauna of the area as well, not just the flora. Desert animals are very different from what I'm used to, and I've heard of a few that are interesting, like the Hornbeak Trask and the Sand Hunter"

Haluesen
2013-11-20, 06:16 PM
The captain crossed his arms and waited in silent thought before deciding to address her, leaving the conversation on Slumber and her species to the side for now. "Well I'm not sure what a Hornbeak is, but yeah we do have some other creatures. Standard tamed animals include the camels that are used for carrying burdens, as well as some strong horses that we are rather proud of. With wild creatures, the most common to be seen in the wastes are the ashworms, the camelopardel, the standard wild scorpions, though of course with enough travel you find some that are not so common, like the strange psionic offshoot known as chekryans, vicious jackals, fearsome dunewinders if you travel too far from the standard paths. There are others, like the Sand Hunter you mentioned, but those are the ones I have most encountered. Hmm, I suppose I could name a few others, such as-"

In the middle of his speech one of the rear guard hurried to the captain. "Sir, we have followers! They look to be bandits on horseback!" The captain gave him a dubious look. "We do not have bandits usually on the controlled paths, but I will check." He took a spyglass from the small pack on his belt and looked back behind them, then uttered a low curse. "I have no clue who these people are, or who they think they are, but they certainly aren't other traders. I suppose some of us should head back to either speak to them or drive them off. You units there, come with me." He pointed out 10 of the soldiers there, leaving about half the company behind, then turned to Serra. "You are but a guest and traveler, and so have no particular reason you have to assist us, but if you have any potential skills in your unique setup that will help here, you are most welcome. Or you and your allies could stay here with the rest if you wish. I do not fully trust this situation, hence my leaving a good portion of the force behind to guard the caravan. What do you wish to do?"

EdroGrimshell
2013-11-20, 07:31 PM
"Slumber, get the doctor, this could be of interest," Serra says, sounding like she'd just made a discovery, while Slumber flies off, "I'm hoping we won't need Ed's help on this, but he's one of the few I've met that can treat injuries well without magic or psionics."

Meanwhile, Slumber reaches Ed and tells him the situation in draconic, "bandits? Sounds interesting," he turns to the merchant, "you may want to get closer to the caravan, if things go bad they'd target you for looking like an easy target," he says, then heads off to help with the bandits, Slumber following close behind.

"We're going to fight?" Slumber asks, again in draconic.

"Possibly, Serra is good at negotiations, we may just avoid a fight if things go well. If not, well, we're going to have a bit of fun," Dr. Bones says with a smirk. Slumber nods.

Ed and Slumber join up with Serra quickly, "mind if I see what we'll be up against? I may be able to give some insight into why they are here," Edward asks as he joins up with the others.

Haluesen
2013-11-20, 09:07 PM
The captain and his selected guards waited at the back of the caravan while the rest kept moving on ahead, the rest of the guard taking watch position around them. He pointed the other way, at a steadily growing cloud of dust and sand. "There are the ones following us. You can just make them out on horseback. They don't have any emblems or flags that I would recognize. If you have any abilities to see farther than this, use them now, because they are approaching fast." Him as well as the other guards had no horses of their own.

EdroGrimshell
2013-11-20, 09:46 PM
"I meant with the spyglass," Ed says with a deadpan expression while Slumber facepalms and Serra chuckles lightly.

Haluesen
2013-11-20, 09:56 PM
The captain rolled his eyes and muttered. "I have already done that, as I mentioned, but go ahead. Be quick with it though." He held the spyglass out to Edward with a curt expression and somewhat snappy movements. "Or we'll be seeing them all too close."

EdroGrimshell
2013-11-20, 10:57 PM
"Thanks," Ed says as he attempts to identify anything he can about the bandits.

Knowledge (Local): [roll0]

Haluesen
2013-11-20, 11:31 PM
As Ed looks at them from a distance, the red and brown clad horse riders continue to charge at them. They do not seem to have much to identify them with, all covered faces, no flags or banners raised. He can however see that they are wearing patches on their shoulders, in the design of black and silver blades over a bunch of weird black marks. Try as he might to think, they do not seem to represent any local Order's or any of the Prince's forces, though they do stand out for just that quality.

The people have their curved swords raised as they ride, and even know the sound of their yelling and roaring is starting to be heard.

EdroGrimshell
2013-11-21, 12:13 AM
"They have a mark on their shoulders... I can't ascertain the meaning behind them, but I suggest keeping one or two alive to get some information in case it means something, you ready for them Serra?" Edward says as he hands back the spyglass.

"I think I'm going to give them a bit of a scare," she says in such a way that one could hear the grin, she pulls off her scarf, and takes off her goggles, revealing her eyes to be red and her teeth to be sharpened fangs, all of them, then wraps the scarf around her right hand, the one with the psishot.

Edward nods and pulls off the glove on his left arm, revealing the discolored arm and hand ending in a wicked set of claws that looks somehow elegant as well as intimidating, also revealing some of the bony armor that covered his body. He then pulls his club out.

Serra then looks to the captain, "ready for some fun?" she asks as she focuses herself to fuel her psishot with more power.

Concentration: 21 (Taking 10)

Assuming for now that the faerie blade ability of the trickster applies to natural attacks as well as manufactured ones

Haluesen
2013-11-21, 12:53 AM
The leader of the warriors here gave them both stunned and almost bemused looks, but had no time to do more than just shake his head a bit. As the horse riders approached ever closer, and the caravan went onward away from them, the red-armored warrior called out to them all. "Try to bring those you can in. To battle!" His fellow soldiers also called out as he did and readied their various weapons, sword and bow, for combat.

The knight in red uses two auras: one gives a higher bonus to attack and damage while flanking, the other gives +2 to AC for all allies, counting your characters.

And with that, roll initiative! Here or in the OOC thread, whichever works though I would suppose that thread is more the place for it.

And yes, by my reading that does apply to the natural attacks as well, including even the slight appearance change I guess. Glorious looking claws!

EdroGrimshell
2013-11-21, 02:20 AM
Edward starts things off by simply examining the lead opponent, then dashes in to try and get a quick KO with a club to the head.

Targetting L7

Knowledge (Local): [roll0]
If Successful, +1d6 damage on attacks each round from Precision Damage

Attack: [roll1]
Crit Confirm: [roll2]

Damage: [roll3]
Faerie Blade: [roll4]
Precision Damage: [roll5]
Serra follows up with a bolt of psionic energy hitting another of the bandits, "Experiment Initiated," she mutters under her breath with a grin.

Targetting D7

Attack: [roll6]
Crit Confirm: [roll7]

Damage: [roll8]
Slumber, however, flies straight up, keeping an eye out for more bandits that may be hiding.

Spot: [roll9]
Listen: [roll10]

Haluesen
2013-12-01, 08:54 PM
Ed swung but the horserider was fast, turning aside from the club attack.

Serra shot well and struck the bandit hard with the psionic bolt. He toppled from his horse into the sand, and the horse made to run far from there without someone to guide it.

As Slumber looked out over the wide open plains of the open desert, she was able to see motion from the east. A small number of other horse riders, similar to the ones already being fought, were charging at the caravan from a ways off but were approaching fast.

The warriors rushed the bandits, attacking valiantly to fight them off. The bandits fought with equal fury and might, and a number fell on both sides. Arrows fired by both sides helped in reducing the number of people on the field. The red-suited warrior called out from his place to the others. "Do not falter men and women! Strike them all down with haste!"The one in front of Ed saw no point in joining them as he had a foe of his own, and lashed out with a wild scimitar strike.

Attack Roll [roll0]
Crit Confirmation [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Meanwhile one rode away from the others, and this one fired a shot from her bow at Serra.

Attack Roll [roll3]
Critical Confirmation [roll4]
Damage [roll5]

Back to your turns. Red is using his rally ability, which gives a +1 to AC for all allies around and +1d6 to weapon damage.

EdroGrimshell
2013-12-01, 10:13 PM
Slumber immediately calls down in Draconic to inform Serra of the other bandits, "Captain, more riders coming from the East," she says as she levels another shot, an arrow whizzing past her head.

Attack: [roll0]
Crit Confirm: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Rally Damage: [roll3]

Edward, meanwhile, grins as he brings down his club, and brings his clawed hand up to scissor them, twisting away from the scimitar, which bounced harmlessly off his bony armor.

Club
Attack: [roll4]
Crit Confirm: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]
Rally Damage: [roll7]
Surgical Precision: [roll8]
Faerie Weapon: [roll9]

Claw
Attack: [roll10]
Crit Confirm: [roll11]
Damage: [roll12]
Rally Damage: [roll13]
Surgical Precision: [roll14]
Faerie Weapon: [roll15]

"Slumber, warn the other guards with the Caravan!" Serra calls out, getting Slumber to fly off to do just that. It was not only safer for her, it was a necessary precaution.

Haluesen
2013-12-01, 11:27 PM
That made 2 more bandits down for the count. Serra's bolt struck the far off enemy hard, taking her to the ground and off her horse. The same is said for the bandit that Edward lashed at, who blocked the club with his scimitar but wasn't ready for the claw, and was knocked from his steed. That meant two more horses running off to the wild.

Rushed combat continued, with the warriors clearly having the upper hand. A couple of them fell, but in turn many more bandits hit the dust, never to rise. The red-armored warrior rose a hand that glowed a faint red and made a sweeping motion at one of the few horses left with a standing bandit on it still. While the horse seemed to slightly waver, it continued on unimpeded. He cursed quietly then resumed encouraging the others.

Attempted use of a power on the horse at O7 failed, used move action to continue the rallying.

Meanwhile the bandit atop that horse was near Edward again. "You will suffer for standing against us, fool!" he called out and slashed.

Attack Roll: [roll0]
Crit Confirmation: [roll1]

At that time another bandit rushed a bit ahead from the back line, and took a shot at Serra.

Attack Roll: [roll3]
Crit Confirmation: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

Meanwhile with the caravan, Slumber had spoken to one of the warriors, who looked that way then nodded with a stressed look on his face. "Very well then, thank you for this warning. There are 10 of us here, with hope we can take on these other attackers, or stall them until the captain returns." The figures were some ways off, but there were 4 horse riders, 3 obviously being led by the fourth.

EdroGrimshell
2013-12-02, 12:08 AM
"Your side party's in for a surprise!" Serra called out when a second arrow whizzes by, she didn't even flinch. Leveling her hand at the next target, and letting fly another bolt of psionic power.

Attack: [roll0]
Crit Confirm: [roll1]
Rally Damage: [roll3]

"You seem to be the ones dropping like flies, and the Caravan's been warned of your riders, we have the advantage!"

Club
Attack: [roll4]
Crit Confirm: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]
Rally Damage: [roll7]
Surgical Precision: [roll8]
Faerie Weapon: [roll9]

Claw
Attack: [roll10]
Crit Confirm: [roll11]
Damage: [roll12]
Rally Damage: [roll13]
Surgical Precision: [roll14]
Faerie Weapon: [roll15]

Slumber flies up to check on the battle with Serra and Edward, "most of the enemies are down, they'll be heading this way soon."

Haluesen
2013-12-02, 11:06 PM
That was 2 more bandits thrown down at the hands of Serra and Edward. The warriors with their red leader quickly moved to take down the last 2 bandits, sustaining only minor injuries then. He had heard Serra's and Edward's words in combat and so pointed his soldiers toward the caravan. "Quickly, everyone, hurry to the caravan! We need to stop this next attack as fast as we can. Do not allow the civilians to be harmed!"

While they started hurrying to the caravan, which was now a good 120 ft away, the group of 4 other bandits was nearing the caravan. The woman who led them smirked as she urged the other 3 on. A few of the warriors assembled on that side of the caravan intercepted them, though the others stayed in their vigil around the group, watching for any other threats.

130 ft between Serra and back end of the caravan, another 20 ft to the attackers. I will likely make a new map soon to reflect this.

EdroGrimshell
2013-12-03, 01:40 AM
Both Serra and Dr. Bones run to try and reach the caravan ASAP. Serra deciding to take out the leader, she grabs her focus, imbues it with power, and shoves it into her weapon for her next shot, "Hey Ed, remember that time with the orcs when we first got here?" Serra asks the doctor, getting a grin in reply.

Once close enough, Serra simply grins at the apparent leader and shouts, "Last bandits we faced ended up as bloody smears in the sand, you won't last much longer than them, and once we're done, you'll have Ed here to deal with!"

Right after that, Dr. Bones shows his hobby by saying, "I think I want to dissect you now," with a mad look on his face.

Serra's Intimidate: [roll0] +2 if Ed's Check Exceeds 15

Edward's Intimidate: [roll1]

Haluesen
2013-12-03, 01:56 AM
The leader of the small group of bandits rose her scimitar high, charging at the assembled people with a cocky smirk. But it was quickly wiped from her face as she shook in fear of the 2 sadists. She yelled to the other bandits, "Screw all this, Horvald can come himself if he wants to risk his hide to demons!" As Serra got close a quick spinning funnel of flame rose before her, obscurring the group. It only lasted a moment but once it was gone the bandits had turned and were heading off the way they came, the "leader" in front of them now and charging ahead faster than they could keep up. They hadn't gotten far when a wave of shifting sand rose from nowhere and obscured them. By the time it faded again, they were gone.

EdroGrimshell
2013-12-03, 02:08 AM
The moment the bandits are gone Serra busts out laughing, "Oh Garl! That was hilarious! Did you see their faces!?"

Ed just chuckled as Slumber came down to perch on Serra's shoulder, "that worked like a charm, Serra, the orcs weren't even that scared."

"Sorta disappointed I didn't get to test the full capabilities of my bracer, but that was fun enough I don't mind it nearly as much as I would in any other situation," she says, reclaiming the energy she put into said bracer and pets Slumber gently.

Haluesen
2013-12-03, 02:19 AM
The warrior in red had approached them by then and sort of rolled his eyes. "Yes, you two did well. Thank you for the assistance in the fight, and for preventing a fight here. That many less people dead." He halfway looked back the way they came. "I wonder if it is even worth going back to look for survivors to interrogate." One of the warriors with them offers to go back and search, provided the others agree with this plan of action and the caravan is willing to wait.

While that is being decided that red warrior gives the 3 a couple of odd looks. "So, you are Serra, Edward and Slumber then? And these are some showing off of the unique talents you mentioned previously then?"

EdroGrimshell
2013-12-03, 03:00 AM
"Not even close, these are just combat abilities," she pulls up her sleeve, revealing the gauntlet-bracer hybrid, "had this made back home, it focuses my psychic abilities into a form of offense, it's pretty useful, Ed's the one that actually showed off his skills."

"I'm a medical practitioner and a member of the lower fey courts, the claw and bone plates are my work specifically, though my claw is infused with the essence of the fey realms, it makes me quite the capable combatant. And there are survivors in the bandits, of that I am certain," Ed remarks.

"My talents take much longer to pull off. Sometimes several months depending on what I'm working with at the time. If you're interested I'm sure I could give a demonstration once I get the materials necessary for it."

Haluesen
2013-12-04, 07:37 PM
That warrior gave them both a look that clearly showed that he regretted asking. "Maybe. Maybe not. I suppose it isn't my place to question the legality of...of whatever you are really talking about. And whatever you both are." He offered a hand in salute. "Just sharing that my name is Salkamar, and thank you for the assistance, as well as good luck on your travels." One of the guards returned with one of the bandits, tied up and gagged.

EdroGrimshell
2013-12-04, 08:30 PM
"Completely legal, at least in my homeland, not sure about here. I've only done practice runs really, you have any idea how hard it is to get a wolf and a leopard to get along long enough to perform the ritual?"

"You tried fusing a leopard and a wolf? That's an interesting combination, what happened to it"

"Um, it sorta ended up being completely stupid and playful rather than being an attack animal, ended up getting blown up by a sorcerer it wanted to play with that thought it was attacking him," Serra says.

"That's unfortunate, it is lucky it was only a test run of your skills and not an actual commission," Ed replies.

By that time, the "prisoners" had come in, "mind if I interrogate the bandits? As you saw earlier, I can be quite persuasive when I need to be."

Haluesen
2013-12-05, 06:45 PM
Salkamar looked at Serra with raised eyebrow. "I don't know if there are any legalities against it, since each prince has their own laws in their territory. I worry more about moral quandaries in such a thing. That said, I am no paladin. I leave you to your activities, the thoughts on them, and the consequences thereof." He looked toward the returning guard and the bound bandit, and shrugged. "Feel free to interrogate him as you wish. But do not kill him. It is harder to get answers with Speak with Dead than from a living person." With that he walked away to coordinate the rest of the trip.

One of the merchants, a sort of timid man, approached Slumber specifically to speak to her. "I wished to let you and you allies know that, with the delay, we should make it to Horgak's Peak a bit after dusk. You can even see the plateau in the distance from here. But since it will be so much later, you are all free to come dine on the travel with my family." He gave a small smile to the eyewing. "Our children especially hope that you can make it."

EdroGrimshell
2013-12-05, 08:40 PM
"Considering my work is my own creation I doubt there are any specific laws against it besides using endangered or rare species," Serra shrugs, "won't be my problem until I start actually practicing it here though."

"Ed's a doctor" Serra points at Edward, "he can keep the guy alive, and I probably won't need to cause physical harm."

"Should be easy enough, unless you resort to physical harm of course."

Slumber replies with a happy chirp and saying she'd be there, but would need to speak with Serra and Edward to see if they wanted to come along.

With that, Serra calls Slumber over and heads to interrogate the bandit with Ed and Slumber, with a brief pause for Ed to pick up his medical tools. She walked over and simply picked up the bandit and draped her over her shoulder, Slumber delivers a small bite to inject her poison and uses her disorienting touch to make him more suggestible, followed by detecting if he had any psionic potential. If he is, she'll drain off as many power points as she can so he can't use anything.

After getting to a relatively quiet area to work, Serra puts down the bandit and takes a moment to let Ed in to heal up the bastard then tie him/her down securely with Slumber's help.
Taking 10, for a 15 total, to wake up the Bandit.

Slumber Taking 20 on Use Rope for a 24 total with Ed's Aid Another
Ed Aiding Another by Taking 20 for 21 total
Once awake, Slumber uses a quick Aversion to get him to be scared of Serra to start with (DC 17).

After that, she just grins, "welcome to the land of the living, shall we talk?" her grin turns absolutely evil at that point.

Intimidate: [roll0]

Haluesen
2013-12-05, 11:13 PM
The bandit looked around warily and confused at first upon waking, then as the woman leaned to face him and grinned, he pushed away as much as he could in his bindings. He looked around and squirmed, panting and trying to break from the binds, to no avail. "What in the Nine Hells do you freak want from me? What could I possibly have to tell you? You got rid of our raid, our attack failed, what more do you need?"

With your well made Intimidate check, you can ask him a good number of questions to which he will try to answer. So make sure you make them good questions.

EdroGrimshell
2013-12-05, 11:19 PM
"I really only have two questions for you at this point in time, who is Horvald and why were you raiding this caravan for him?" Serra says, grinning widely, which showed off her shark-like teeth.

Haluesen
2013-12-10, 05:05 PM
The bandit continued to struggle and sweat, but answered the questions promptly. "Horvald is the leader of our band, and a good one at that! He knows just what to do to get us all well off. You should consider joining, we could use someone like you around." He gave a kinda weak smile. "We do not know the purpose behind our coming here. Of course we always look for what supplies we can for survival, but we had another reason. Only Kasar knew what was the true reason behind our attack, but don't take us for idiots. We all knew there was some more serious reason."

EdroGrimshell
2013-12-10, 05:13 PM
"Kasar? Was she the woman leading the side party of bandits? If so, she ran the moment Ed here said he was interested in dissecting her," said mad scientist waves with his gloved hand, "I think I'd consider working with your band, but, my services are expensive, so I'd likely need to be in a larger city most of the time. How about I make an offer for you and your leader, one that may prove fruitful for both of us."

Haluesen
2013-12-11, 11:56 PM
The bandit gave a slight shiver at the thought of dissection, but decided to speak fully to all that she asked, rather than just the last part. "Yes, Kasar is a strong warrior compared to the rest of us, a manipulator and practically devoted priest of flame. But she is one of the lieutenants. Just one of them." He seemed a little ill at ease thinking of her.

At the mention of an offer, the bandit gave a half smirk. "I have no authority with the boss. If you wanted to make some sort of deal, grabbing Kasar would have been smarter, if harder to grab information from. But my first concern is living. So I can listen to this offer and see if I can help, provided I am not...dissected afterward." He cringed again.

EdroGrimshell
2013-12-12, 12:39 AM
"It's more a message to be passed on," Serra comments, "I have a unique skillset, you see, and I offer my services to anyone that can pay for them, as does Edward here. We're going to be in Horgak's Peak by this evening, and will likely remain for a day or two before heading to Herippas City, if your boss is interested, tell him he can contact me at one of those locations, either in person or through one of his lieutenants, and I want you to come with them when they do show up, I won't even talk to them otherwise. If you don't pass the message along, it won't be any skin off my back, but I'm not sure how you being captured and released without it would go over with your superiors," she grins at that, "just something to consider," she extends the blade of her bracer and sets to cut the bindings, "I would like to know your name before I let you go," she says, just short of cutting the rope.

Haluesen
2013-12-12, 07:17 PM
He looked at her rather strangely. "The name is Colzo. Colzo Earthbanned. I will bring this message miss but he will naturally need more to go on. You must explain at least something of these 'unique abilities' so that I may tell him. What is he to assume otherwise then if I can only tell him 'maybe some psionic things'?" He still tried as much as he could either way to squirm away from her, still feeling very anxious.

The merchant family from before approached Slumber again, this time with the mother of the family speaking. "We have dinner prepared, it is a fair mix of things. Loaf of sweet bread, some cooked boar from a great distance from here, some prepared vegetables. Tell your friends that all of you are invited." With that they walked away, the children waving excitedly and greeting Slumber before going to a fair-sized covered wagon.

EdroGrimshell
2013-12-12, 08:18 PM
Serra grins, "I can do that," she replies, "it would be easier if I actually had the materials already set up or had more than just a couple schematics of old projects and trial runs," she says as she rifles through her pack, then pulls out one, "ah ha, here we go! This is an old one of mine and the one that would be of most interest, I believe," she shows the schematic to be a small book containing detailed sketches of a horse with specific parts highlighted, then a cheetah with the same, followed by what looked like a very muscular cheetah with a horse-like mane and tail, "this is a corvitah, a fusion of horse and cheetah I made on special order to fund my earlier projects. It takes the cheetah, increases its size and endurance, gives it a slightly altered body structure to make it an ideal mount, and then allows it to live on either meat or plant life. This one was a little less aware of its surroundings than most, but it was quite the success on my part. With Ed around he could have augmented it further to be naturally armored and possess a much greater carrying capacity than a horse. And I can do the same with almost any creature, so long as it is a living creature. I can even combine humans with other creatures to give them animal abilities if needed..." she grins, "I think that will do for an example," she says, as the bug returns from talking to the family, "and I believe that Ed's grafts and all three of our skill with alchemy would be more than worth it to come see us regardless."

Serra cuts the rope, "we'll be seeing you again, Colzo Earthbanned," she says as he no doubt leaves as fast as humanly possible with the aversion still placed on him.

Once he's gone, Slumber relays the message, "You and Ed go on ahead, I'm going to talk to Salkamar first."

Haluesen
2013-12-12, 09:42 PM
Clozo ran off without another weird, partially scared by her power and partly by what she was suggesting that she could do. A few guards noticed him leaving and looked at her with suspicion but none acted upon it.

Salkamar was currently near the front of the caravan, speaking to a couple guards about keeping watching and the leader of the caravan for guiding into Horgak's Peak.

EdroGrimshell
2013-12-12, 11:18 PM
Serra walks over to Salkamar, "Colzo, the bandit I interrogated, was rather interesting. He supplied some good information for a grunt," she comments, "apparently the bandit leader is a man named Horvald, with the woman leading the secondary party being one of his Lieutenants, apparently called Kasar. He doesn't know why they attacked the caravan, he was just doing what he was told. Easy to see that much, he's sending a message to them now," Serra grins, "I doubt he'll be a problem in the future," she says.

Haluesen
2013-12-13, 12:00 AM
Salkamar nodded and sighed somewhat. "Very well then. Damn, had hoped to keep him and take him in for justice, but well enough." He looked in the area around them. "We shall be in Horgak's Peak in a couple hours. When there I will look at all posted bounties and see if there is anyone with those names. Thank you for the good work Serra." He smiled politely at her and bowed his head in acknowledgement of her actions. "You can rest or eat until we get there. I doubt there will be any more excitement today."

EdroGrimshell
2013-12-13, 12:33 AM
"Slumber got an invitation with a family travelling with the caravan, Ed and I were invited to join them to be polite, I doubt they'll be comfortable with either of us there," she has a light smile, "if you need us, we'll either be there or in the caravan to sleep."

She heads off to see the family, replacing her scarf so she wouldn't scare them like she did with the bandit earlier, if it weren't for Slumber, Ed and I would likely have lost touch with the more common man if she weren't around, she thought, before she wouldn't have cared if she scared someone, with Slumber around, she did. It was nice being able to hold a conversation with someone without terrifying them all the time.

Haluesen
2013-12-29, 07:39 PM
Salkamar stayed up front and kept coordinating the watch, but focused on the two strange, almost alien travelers with them. He'd need to watch them closely for certain...

Alright, I will let you decide, bit of RP with the family at dinner, maybe ask some questions, or skip ahead to Horgak's Peak?

EdroGrimshell
2013-12-30, 10:53 AM
Will just skip to Horgak's Peak

Haluesen
2014-01-02, 11:28 PM
After a few more hours of travel, the caravan rode up through the gates of Horgak's Peak. The town was hidden in a way, in a group of hills but buried in such a way that the lights of the town can only be seen from the northwest, the only side of the town not against the cliffs and stones. The gate was the grandest thing about it, a massive block archway adorned with sigils, containing a thick rock door blocking out the desert.

The caravan made its way to the center of the town, where the shops lie. Here merchants would do their business, either bringing things to resupply the places here, or to sell wares of their own. Either way, most were just making small preparations for work the next day, seeing as how you all arrived late at night.

Salkamar made his way over to Serra, Edward, and Slumber. He now wore only simple clothing, though his crimson weapon still gleamed at his side. "Well here we are now. The caravan will be staying here for 4 days, then traveling off to a few smaller settlements on the way to Herippas. Make what arrangements you will, I suppose. In the morning I am off to speak to the leader of this town, to inform him of the bandit attack. What may I ask will you be doing?" Though he asked politely he seemed to have a stronger interest in their answer than implied.

EdroGrimshell
2014-01-03, 12:01 AM
"Plan? Well, earn some extra cash to help pay for my works, try and get some ingredients, and build up a stock of alchemical items," Serra starts off, "I'm also going to see if I can't set up a bit of trade here, though I doubt I'll be able to offer my more expensive services just yet."

Haluesen
2014-01-07, 08:25 PM
Salkamar nodded a bit and crossed his arms with a thoughtful expression. "So then you are basically doing the same things as a trader, just with a very different stock. In that case I would encourage to perhaps follow the caravan whenever it moves on to the city, for there you will more than likely be able to find more people with the inclination and coin to make use of your talents than here." He bowed to the group. "I'm of to rest now. Until next we speak I suppose." He walked away without waiting for a good bye, heading to the nearby inn to rest.

EdroGrimshell
2014-01-08, 10:26 PM
Serra nods and heads into town to get an inn room, she'd work the next day, crafting as many alchemical items as possible, then get to work on recruiting some help, she might be able to find some people that were good at handling animals, maybe an expert in the field, though she doubted it. Edward and Slumber would likely alternate working on stock and either gathering materials or helping with recruitment, respectively.

Haluesen
2014-01-28, 11:45 AM
In this town there was only one real inn for staying at, The Merry Miser. It was a sort of place where things were more calm and easygoing than a rowdy tavern. A few tables were full of people talking, eating, and drinking, just the sort of late night people including a few of the traders from the caravan. A sandy-skinned elf mans the bar, taking drink orders and room arrangements. The build was 3 floors tall, clearly enough to have some varied bedroom within.

EdroGrimshell
2014-01-28, 01:13 PM
Serra rents a room for two, preferably with a spot for familiars in it, orders some food for herself and Edward, letting Slumber feed on some of her psychic energy.

Once the food was done, she'd start asking around to see if anyone in the area would be willing to rent out an alchemy lab for the next couple days.

Haluesen
2014-01-28, 06:02 PM
The best they have as far as familiars is a fair sized room with a window sill and a fair view of the town. That as well as the food ends up costing 2 gp for this night.

The next day the town is full of activity. The arrival of the merchants has not gone unnoticed, and many people are looking over the many goods and services on offer.

Please make a Gather Info check to find a person with an alchemist lab for rent.

EdroGrimshell
2014-01-29, 12:20 AM
Serra stretches and heads out with Slumber and Edward to look for an alchemist that was willing to let them use their lab for the next couple days.

Gather Info check in OOC: 17

Haluesen
2014-01-30, 12:14 AM
Serra has good luck, there is an alchemist in town there. Her shop is in the central area where the other caravan traders are, called "A Pinch of Magic". The owner of the shop is a middle-aged gnome woman, wearing rather lightweight and bright toned clothing to fit the climate, and with a noticeably darkened left eye. She bows her head when the other walk into the shop, talking in a quiet tone. "Well hello hello, and welcome to my shop. Are you here for potions, reagents, tools? I sell many many things, feel free to have a look! Favored by apothecaries and arcane-folk all over this kingdom and some beyond" She chuckled after her grandiose greeting.

EdroGrimshell
2014-01-30, 12:54 AM
"Good morning," Serra says, keeping her scarf up, "I'm Serra, this is Edward, and this is Slumber," she says with Ed nodding and Slumber waving with a happy chirp, then flits over to the gnome, "I assure you Slumber is quite friendly, she's my familiar," Slumber offers one of her forelegs to the gnome.

Haluesen
2014-01-30, 01:01 AM
The woman chuckles again and waves Slumber's foreleg. "I can tell. Many familiars are a lot calmer in behavior, no matter how their masters are. So, how can I aid all of you this day? Shall I show you around, or do you wish to look around yourselves?" She walked from around the counter, holding onto and mixing a couple bottles of liquid.

EdroGrimshell
2014-01-30, 01:34 AM
"Actually, we're alchemists ourselves, and were hoping to rent out an alchemy lab for the next few days before we head to the capital," Serra says, "would you mind us using yours?"

Haluesen
2014-01-30, 08:23 PM
She smiled and nodded a bit. "Certainly, if you can afford to rent it. I have a good enough stock right now that not using it myself for a handful of days won't hamper my business, but there is still always a price for such things. How about 100 gp a day? That is a good bargain as long as you won't be in town for 5 days." She chuckled again in her casual way.

EdroGrimshell
2014-01-31, 03:38 PM
"I was hoping for closer to 30 gold," Serra replies, "but with three alchemists it can get hectic, so I'd go as high as 40 gold."

Edward chimes in, "and with you not needing your lab for the time we'll be here it does not harm your own coffers in any way, quite the opposite in fact."

"Not to mention having me around singing might bring in more customers as it is," Slumber chirps from the counter.

"Her singing does bring people in," Serra says as she strokes the little dragonfly's fuzzy thorax.

Haggling!

Serra's Diplomacy: [roll0]
Edward's Aid Another: [roll1] if 15+ add +2 to the roll
Slumber's Aid Another: [roll2] if 15+ add +2 to the roll

Haluesen
2014-01-31, 06:07 PM
The gnome hummed to herself and paced around the counter as she took in their words. After a moment after they were done speak, she smiled and turned to them again quickly. "I may be willing to accept such a trade. First I would like to hear the cheerful one sing, so I can be certain that it is as you say, and she may bring in more customers."

I do not remember the specifics of her singing ability, so I believe you will be making a Perform check here, to entertain her and assure her that Slumber has what it takes.

EdroGrimshell
2014-01-31, 07:42 PM
"Slumber," Serra says, "how about one of the more cheery ones, it fits the atmosphere here."

Slumber nods, "Dansen?" she asks, getting a blink from Serra, she smiles, "sure," she says before Slumber starts to use her wings to make some music, then starts singing an upbeat song.

Perform (Singing): [roll0]

Haluesen
2014-02-01, 11:45 PM
Again the woman leaned on her counter, this time to listen to the music. She nodded her head for a little while with the beat but stopped when it became apparent that she wasn't slowing it down. Then after, with a smile she shrugged and said, "Well, that'll do her then. 40 gp is accepted for use of the alchemist lab." She winked at the group of them. "Shall I show you to the back where it is?"

EdroGrimshell
2014-02-01, 11:56 PM
Serra nods, "that would be appreciated," she replies, pulling twelve platinum pieces "I'd also like to pay for the three day's we'll be here up front. Twelve platinum pieces should cover it," she continues, handing the bright, silvery coins to the gnome woman.

"You're being reckless with your money again Serra," Ed deadpans, he wasn't exactly complaining, she had given him a good some of money when he'd joined her for additional equipment, but it had gotten them in trouble when thieves thought they were loaded.

Haluesen
2014-02-03, 12:35 PM
The gnomish woman took the coins and nodded in appreciation. "All well, very well. Come along this way. Oh, before I forget my manners anymore, my name is Hifas Copper. And welcome to the store again!" With another of her small chuckles she showed Serra, Edward, and Slumber to the back room. On shelves were many alchemical ingredients, and along the back wall, with some distance between them, were 2 alchemists labs fully set up.

EdroGrimshell
2014-02-03, 04:16 PM
"Thank you, if anything comes up Slumber will let you know," Serra says as the three get to work, Slumber singing along the way, Serra joining her own voice in every now and again. All three working on Healing Salves, one of the more useful and highly sought after items they could make, it required all three of them to make it reliably, though.

Healing Salves have a market price of 25gp and a craft DC of 25. Each one requires 8gp, 3sp, and 3cp to craft. So I should be able to make quite a few here.

Serra
Craft (Alchemy): Take 10 for 22 +4 from Ed and Slumber Aiding for 26 and +2 for the Alchemy Lab for 28 total.
Perform (Singing): Take 10 for 21

Edward
Craft (Alchemy): Take 10 for 19 +2 from Alchemy Lab for 21 Total

Slumber
Craft (Alchemy): Take 10 for 15 +2 from Alchemy Lab for 17 Total
Perform (Drone): Take 10 for 20

Going by the Daily Check, which uses SP in the variant, that results in a 25 x 28 = 2.8 Healing Salves made

Haluesen
2014-02-03, 05:10 PM
After a great many hours of working, the 3 completed their work and had some material left over. Hifas kept up her work, engaging with a few customers this day, mainly a few people in town with specific needs, but also one group of adventurers buying gear for an expedition. After some time she went to the back to speak to them. "Serra, there is someone out here wishing to speak to you, says he has been looking for you."

EdroGrimshell
2014-02-03, 05:14 PM
Slumber flies ahead to see who it is, with Serra and Ed coming out right behind her, with Slumber flitting about whoever it is.

Haluesen
2014-02-03, 05:27 PM
Salkamar, the soldier leader from earlier, stands just inside the building, looking around at Slumber humorlessly. He nodded his head slightly to Serra. "I should have figured I would find you in here, or somewhere like here. You said yesterday that you were going to be doing some work. Greetings to you all."

EdroGrimshell
2014-02-03, 08:12 PM
"Ah, what can I do for you, Salkamar?" Serra asks the elf, somewhat curious about the sudden interest he seemed to have with the group.

Edward bows his head in greeting while Slumber chirps a hello.

Haluesen
2014-02-03, 09:39 PM
Salkamar mods back to the other two before going on to speak with Serra. "I have news from the govenor of the town, after telling him of the bandit attack. As I may have mentioned before, such attacks are nearly unheard of. The govenor is concerned as well, and asks if I would be willing to apprehend these criminals. Naturally, I came to you as well, seeing as you were the most capable of people in the caravan by a wide margin. He's offering 750 gold per person willing to go out and do this. More if said people can find out why the bandits attacked."

EdroGrimshell
2014-02-04, 02:40 PM
Serra hums in thought, an immediate pay off to the whole group would be nice, but it would mean they could lose a potentially lucrative client base in the bandits, decisions, decisions... she grinned behind her scarf, time to spin this in her direction, she indicates for Salkamar to come into the building and the lab behind it, "I actually have a potential connection set up there. I'm meeting with them, I thought something like this might happen, so I got a connection under the pretense of a business deal with the bandits, faster and stronger horses, that sort of thing," Serra says, "The meeting should happen before we leave for the city, if you'd like to stick around and wait for them, we could just have them lead us right to the base, or even catch the leader directly," it was honestly true enough, this was a failsafe, the deal was the main goal, but this was her second option, and the one that painted her in a better light, so she'd use that to her advantage here.

"I've seen her do this before, she's quite a lot smarter than she looks, and that's saying something," Edward says, with Serra bristling at the 'smarter than she looks' comment, "she's a great on the fly tactician when it comes to this sort of thing..."

"Yea, but last time it was that gang of thieves that called themselves a guild," Slumber says with a snicker, "Serra set up a meeting, had the guards wait in the room, they were caught in seconds."

Stretching the truth and hiding something, but not outright lying, so not sure if a Bluff check is necessary or not, but I'll make one here in case it is needed.

Serra's Bluff: Take 10 for 23 +4 from Aid Another for a 27 Total
Edward's Aid Another: Take 10 for 18 Total
Slumer's Aid Another: Take 10 for 20 Total

Haluesen
2014-02-04, 08:52 PM
Well there is no concievable way, even on a 20, that he could beat that skill check, so...

Salkamar looked at them dubiously for a moment then smiled. "Very devious of you. And rather altruistic. You were willing to set up a meeting with a potentially rather dangerous group without even the guarantee of any sort of reward before hand. Rather rare to see nowadays." He folded his arms and leaned back into the nearby wall. "Alright, so what is your plan for meeting with your contact among them?"

EdroGrimshell
2014-02-04, 09:56 PM
"I honestly just make it up as I go along," Serra says, causing even Edward to face fault, "what? I usually just think of something and it almost always works," she says defensively. It was surprising how innocent she could sound at times.

Haluesen
2014-02-04, 10:05 PM
Salkamar rose an eyebrow at hearing this. "So you have no plan to actually meet them? You were just going to try to find them at some point with this fake offer, and see how it went?" He was somewhat baffled.

EdroGrimshell
2014-02-04, 10:23 PM
"Oh, the bandit I let go is gonna come find me, not me find them," Serra says simply, "we scared him enough that he won't try anything at the very least. Actually, tonight or tomorrow would be the most likely time he'd arrive."

Haluesen
2014-02-04, 10:49 PM
"Very well then. You speak to him wherever you are going to, but stay near town. Until you are certain their cooperation is guaranteed, I will wait nearby out of sight, then join you all in whatever happens." Salkamar spoke and offered a hand to shake on the agreement.

EdroGrimshell
2014-02-05, 01:18 PM
Serra shakes, "How about Slumber stays with you, I'll send her a signal when he's around, that way you will be able to know and still be able to roam around a bit more. Looks less suspicious."

Edward blinked, "and that came off the top of your head?"

"Yeah, I taught Slumber one when we did the thieves thing, it'll work here," she replies, and Ed just covers his face in exasperation.

Haluesen
2014-02-07, 03:54 PM
Salkamar just shrugged and said, "However it works properly. I'll follow you on this for now. Until tonight then, I shall wander the town and see what information I can gain on odd activities in the desert. Good evening to you all." With a bow he left the shop.

By now it was already into the evening, or at least fairly close, after their day of working. Hifas spoke up, "Not too much longer until I close up the shop. Are all of you done for today?"

EdroGrimshell
2014-02-07, 04:54 PM
"We're set for the night," Serra replies, "We'll see you tomorrow, Ms. Copper," she says in farewell as the group heads back to the inn.

Haluesen
2014-02-07, 05:52 PM
Back at the inn, things we are normal. Many of the tables were filled with merchants, workers, craftsman, and a number of more exotic people simply eating and drinking, sharing jokes and tells, playing betting games. This was the only sort of gathering place for such activities in this part of the town, close to the market area, so it was natural. Currently, a very tall humanoid of some sort ran the counter, looking very much like a normal human but thicker, taller, and with somewhat hardened facial features.

What shall you do now?

EdroGrimshell
2014-02-09, 12:06 AM
Serra wanders around the room a little, listening for anything interesting, then gets a seat and some food for herself and Edward, letting Slumber feed on her psychic energy. While waiting for the food, she asks the man behind the counter, "excuse me, do you know anyone in town that's good with animals or has any unusual talents?" she asks simply.

Haluesen
2014-02-12, 03:18 PM
The bartender gives her a confused stare and shrugs. "That's something of a vague question. Closest thing to an animal trainer is Urbuk the stable owner. And that is only if you don't put too much stock in the idea. Unusual talents? What qualifiies as 'unusual'? If you are looking for strange and taboo pleasures of the fless, that is rather unusual but in that case you are very much in the wrong town. If you mean adventurers then no, none that I can currently make note of. A couple weeks back sure but no one like that now. And the only people in town with mystical talents are Hifas the alchemist and Bordon the scribe." After saying that she gave them their food.

EdroGrimshell
2014-02-12, 10:22 PM
"I was thinking more like an animal trainer that deals with bigger animals, boars, jackals, that sort of thing. Though that scribe does sound interesting. As for what counts as unusual, nothing of the nature you mentioned. I'm more interested in things like combat abilities, special psionic talents, acrobatic and athletic capabilities, anyone that's good at tracking, or the ability to identify and name off all the abilities of creatures found within the region, that sort of thing," Serra replies nonchalantly.

Haluesen
2014-02-14, 10:21 PM
Now the bartender looks even more confused, and a bit annoyed. She kept her work on cleaning and spoke to another patron for a minute before returning to Serra. "You ask for very odd things. Are you an adventurer, looking to start an expedition? I don't have a'thing else to mention, this is a simple place, a small stop for the caravans. Those with more worldly skills are more likely to be found is tha grand city, and perhaps out East to Eldiras. No that I imagine you will get a nice reception there."

EdroGrimshell
2014-02-14, 10:51 PM
"Well that's disappointing," Serra says, leaning on her hand, "not even an athlete in this entire city. May have to wait until the city for hiring then," she continues, seemingly disappointed, and she was, a decent guardsman, someone that's good at running around a town, an animal trainer, apparently this town had none of it, if the woman was to be believed, "You'll probably need to start building up a militia soon, if that's the case. Bandits attacked the caravan on the way in, and if you don't have any decent fighters, you'll start looking like a ripe fruit ready to be picked."

With that, Serra pulled her scarf down to eat. She doesn't even hide the fact that her teeth look like they'd belong on a shark rather than a human.

Edward was already finishing up his own food, how he could finish it in the span of three minutes was beyond Serra, especially with how tough the meat in the stew was.

Haluesen
2014-02-14, 11:14 PM
The woman sighed and leaned across the bar at them. "Ah, so that is the sort of thing you are asking about. Well we do have guards with some basic combat potential, the main defense this town has though is being hidden from most viewpoints by the large hill it's built into. Though there are scouts looking down on shifts, and the only defense that is needed usually is to see when attackers are coming this way and then rain arrows upon them. I figured you meant something a little more robust than just guardsmen." She took a swig of ale herself and thought for a bit, then added, "Now that I think on it, there is Krojan, a game hunter who travels between Horgak's Peak and a few other towns. He doesn't keep anything he hunts, but he will at least now more of the desert itself and various creatures."

Roll a Spot check please for all of them, as well as whatever else you plan to do or say next post.

EdroGrimshell
2014-02-14, 11:45 PM
Serra perks up, "Hm, Krojan sounds interesting. I'd like to meet him if possible. Someone knowledgeable about the area would be an asset to my work."

Haluesen
2014-02-16, 02:35 PM
She nodded a bit, again having to deal with other patrons before returning to the discussion with Serra. "Well then, glad we could get somewhere in this. Krojan rents a longhouse to the far end of town, close to the entry gates. It is hard to miss." And then she went on to manage a couple at the bar.

Meanwhile there were 3 people at a table not far away, who were glancing over at Serra as she spoke. Serra, Ed, and Slumber could easily see their focused glances but could not casually make out their whispered words.

EdroGrimshell
2014-02-16, 02:51 PM
Serra glances at the onlookers before smiling at them and waving, which would have looked innocent if not for the sharpened teeth making it look almost predatory, it looked like puppy dog eyes met a vampires hungry smile, she then went back to eating while keeping an eye on them to gauge their reaction to her. They may very well have been the bandits showing up early.

Haluesen
2014-02-16, 03:03 PM
They mostly held a look of shock and returned to their food and more casual conversation. However one of them with deep green eyes and a funny-looking cap kept glancing at her, not even really hiding it or focusing on his companions.

EdroGrimshell
2014-02-16, 11:41 PM
Serra hums slightly as she finishes her meal, so, she had a couple things she could do about Green-y; she could leave him be, she could go over and talk to him, she could have Slumber talk to him and his companions, or she could call him out for staring and make a scene. Hm, decisions, decisions, what to do, what to do... she thinks, putting her scarf back on.

"Time to have a little fun, Ed, Slumber, I'm gonna go hit on the kid over there," Serra says cheerfully, getting a deadpan followed by a facepalm from her more serious cohort and a giggle from her carefree familiar. She gets up and goes over to the one with the cap.

"Hello, I couldn't help notice your staring. Am I that interesting?" she asks sweetly, without her teeth showing, at actually made her look less predatory and more innocent, though the red eyes were still creepy.

Haluesen
2014-02-17, 01:57 AM
The guy glanced up at her, but kept up the same focused stare. Of course the other two chuckled and sat back, more relaxed. The man with the cap spoke. "Interesting is a good way to describe it. You look like someone I know." One of them has his curiosity peaked. "She really does Vincent? That's not why we were looking."

EdroGrimshell
2014-02-17, 02:20 AM
"If you've ever been to the northern kingdoms you might have met me, actually. I'm Serra Dertak," Serra replies, honestly not expecting that. She'd made a small name for herself with her research, but that was it, no one thought she'd actually get anywhere with it, and she still had only done small things that were hard to notice at best, "mind if I take a seat?"

Haluesen
2014-02-17, 02:39 AM
The guy motioned to the nearest chair and shrugged. "The seat's right there. So, got a story to share? And no, I haven't been farther north than the city." He seemed aloof and calm, while the other two, a tanned dwarf and a middle-aged human, were more cordial and excitable.

I thought I had mentioned, if not I am sorry, but the only kingdoms to the north are other merchant princes and princessses, and the War-Torn industial lands to the west. The other kingdom-related areas are to the south actually.

EdroGrimshell
2014-02-19, 03:26 AM
"Thank you," Serra says, taking a seat, "it's rare that I remind people of others, with the eyes and teeth, most people tend to not forget me or mistake me for someone else. You sure you haven't been elsewhere in the last few years? I only just arrived recently."

Haluesen
2014-02-20, 09:37 PM
The man nodded, his face mostly lowered to the table. "I am certain I know of you, but not I have not left in some time. Perhaps we could discuss it a bit in private?" The other two chuckled and the human spoke, "Already trying to get her to yourself Vincent? We were just going to talk about what she meant about looking for skilled people. We're professional adventurers, you see." He addressed this last part to Serra and the dwarf nodded stoicly in agreement. The one with the cap, Vincent, looked serious and a bit sullen.

EdroGrimshell
2014-02-21, 01:01 PM
"We can talk later, if you want," Serra replies to Vincent. She then turns to the others and comments on them being adventurers, "that's interesting, what kind of adventurers? Mage, warrior, psychic, rogue, cleric, or something more... unique?"

Haluesen
2014-02-25, 07:57 PM
Vincent sort of gritted his teeth and nodded. "Certainly we should then and speak." He sat back in his chair abit.

The human took a big drink before addressing Serra. "Well my name is Kasil, I'm sorta like a scholar who dips into magical arts in curious ways. I love finding out new things in this wide world we have, and magic tends to help with that." He made a gesture over to the dwarf who was just eating as they spoke. "And the quiet one here is Gorkond, and he is our resident knight in grim armor, but with some interesting mental talents to boot." After this Gorkond spoke, "The might of my mind and my will guides my blade to the hearts of my enemies." Kasil just nodded in agreement.

EdroGrimshell
2014-02-25, 09:02 PM
"An interesting array of skills," Serra says simply, "I have some innate magic and psionic abilities, but I don't yet have the ability to use them properly. I simply shape them as a catalyst for another... talent of mine," she continues, she then turns to Vincent, "and what of you, Vincent?"

Haluesen
2014-02-25, 09:19 PM
He gave an offhand gesture towards her, "I'm the handyman of the group. The talented, the skilled, the mainfold. I have various talents mostly pertaining to stealth and subterfuge, and help these guys get the treasure they are so eager to locate."

"Or so he says at least; we haven't had opportunity yet to test what he can do," Kasil said after Vincent's little speech. "We've only got him with us a few days ago, but if what he says is true then his talents will be vital to us." Vincent had a smirk so small and hidden that it was almost hard to tell what it was if his demenor didn't do that for him "I assure you my talents are real, and not exaggerated in any way."

EdroGrimshell
2014-02-25, 11:20 PM
Serra grins under her scarf, "sounds like an interesting skillset, I have a similar skillset, as a hunter and tracker, though my actual profession is a bit more complex," she replies, "I'm also a decent fighter, both in melee and at range, though my primary weapon is a ranged one."

Her grin widens to the point that just seeing her eyes lets them know she's grinning, "I actually heard recently that the mayor is offering a reward to people for routing out some bandits," she says, hoping to catch their attention, "and I'm meeting with one of them tomorrow with an acquaintance of mine, would you be interested in joining us? We could use the help."

Haluesen
2014-02-25, 11:57 PM
Kasil looked somewhat dubious, sighing into his mug. "Ehh I dunno. I'm usually more into the plunder wealth in long-forgotten places and fighting off monsters and undead than working for the political people. Plus, I don't really see how I gain any great knowledge from such a thing." The dwarf Gorkond, on the other hand, spoke through a bite of chicken. "I like. Easy money, easy karma. Why not?" Kasil just turned his doubtful look to him.

Vincent shrugged a bit and murmured, "I'd heard about the bandits in the region. There's a bounty out on them?"

EdroGrimshell
2014-02-26, 12:13 AM
"They attacked the caravan I took here," Serra replies, "and for lore, how about this," Serra pulls another sketch from her pack, and slides it across. It was a sketch of a moth-like creature that stood like a cat, "A moonwing stalker, I made one for a mage two years ago using his cat familiar and a moonwing moth he was raising for the powder its wings shed..."

Haluesen
2014-02-26, 12:42 AM
Kasil looked down at the picture, stunned for awhile into silence then just softly spoke, "You made this thing?" Grokond showed no interest, just continuing to eat, but Vincent looked and nodded a bit. "Very creative."

EdroGrimshell
2014-02-26, 01:15 AM
"The ritual wasn't a complete success, it was supposed to have a cat head rather than a moth head, but I made a mistake in the main weave, one strand made the difference. But yes, it was one of the creations I made in the southern kingdoms... I know a ritual that uses psionics and magic as a catalyst to fuse creatures into one. It's based on a more complex ancient ritual that I'd gladly give to you if you're interested."

Haluesen
2014-02-26, 01:57 AM
Kasil looked at the picture a bit longer then grinned at Serra. "No thank you but I would like many more conversations on how you do such a thing. Perhaps with my magic I could learn to do so." Vincent just scoffed at him. "For all your talk about being enlightened, you're just as much about self-interest as I am. Not that there is a problem with that." He then smirked over at Serra. "So what is your plan for getting these baddies before anyone else does, other than talk to one contact?"

EdroGrimshell
2014-02-26, 02:36 AM
"It'd be difficult without psionics as a stabilizer, magic is the power behind it, but psionics is the structure, without psionics, it's like blindly using a wand, you don't know the structure of the spell, you're just feeding raw energy to it and hoping for the best. Psionics provides a framework and guidance for the raw potency of the magic. It's why the old ritual was so difficult to perform for anyone but a focused transmuter. And even then, it was difficult."

Serra glances at Vincent, and grins, "Said contact is one of the bandits that thinks I'm giving his boss a deal to make him creatures like that one," she points at the picture, "faster, stronger, more combat capable horses that can survive in the desert as well as a camel can, grafts from Ed over there, and the ability to commission my talents. I don't think bandits would forgo that kind of advantage, even from the 'demon woman' that scared off one of their commanders. These teeth and eyes make good for intimidation when done right," she says with a wink.

Haluesen
2014-03-05, 01:02 AM
Kasil looked somewhat disappointed and was about to speak up, but Vincent cut in. "So that's it? You approach this guy and hope that it isn't an ambush, or that they won't take you and make you work for them free of charge, or anything like that? I do not deny that you can be intimidating when you try, but only some people comply or run when intimidated. Others lash out." He sighed and leaned back in his chair. "Do you at least have an idea of people backing you up, or summoned creatures, or something like that? Traps of your own just in case?"

EdroGrimshell
2014-03-05, 09:37 AM
Serra gives a savage grin behind her scarf, "that's why I'm asking you for help. I've been in worse situations without help before, and have always come out of it without much harm," she stares intently at Vincent, "having backup isn't always an option, so I go without when I have to. You and your companions are the first I've considered for backup, because there is little to be had in this town, I doubt there's much I could get in the summoning field either, I'm not a mage, even if I possess some magical talent... as for traps, I have a few surprises I can use," she says simply.

Haluesen
2014-03-05, 09:45 PM
Vincent nods and seems to calm somewhat, sitting back in his seat. "I see then. And there is an offer of pay in this? In that case, I'd love to be able to help." He smirked confidently and finished his mug.

Kasil simply sighed and smiled. "Well I guess that settles that. No shaking his mind now. And Gorkond has already given his vote. So I suppose we are in to help." Gorkond nodded silently in agreement.

EdroGrimshell
2014-03-05, 10:45 PM
"That's good to hear. As I said, he's showing up tomorrow at the earliest. I'd say to just keep ready for a signal, which will probably be Slumber telling you to get ready to leave," Serra says, still grinning, "it'll be easier for her to find you if you stick together for the afternoon, just a thought," she says, getting up as she walks back to Slumber and Ed.

"We have some extra help with the bandits," she says to them happily, "One of them is a scholar and mage, one's a knight with some psionics, and last is a rogue by the sound of it."

Ed sighs, "How is it you always manage this sort of thing on the spur of the moment?"

"It comes with travelling on your own for a few years, you learn to adapt quickly, that or you die. I just learned to gather resources and allies when I could." Ed replies with a simple blank stare as his companion saunters to the stairs to get to her room.

Haluesen
2014-03-12, 10:50 PM
Vincent and Kasil left soon after as well to their own rented rooms. Being here in town already would make things much easier for this meeting. Gorkond however went over to Ed and nodded in greeting, then nodded at a nearby seat. "Mind if I join you?" he asked gruffly.

EdroGrimshell
2014-03-12, 11:49 PM
Ed indicates the chair, "go ahead," he says tiredly, "she's gonna be the death of me, been working with her for only a little over a month and she stresses me out more than working with an owlbear during mating season..."

Haluesen
2014-03-13, 12:25 AM
Gorkond nodded stoically and muttered. "Know the feeling. Kasil, too curious, no caution. Vincent, new, untrusted, arrogant. Very much stress." He sighed and ordered another mug, quickly getting to drinking. "I join for valor, and coin. They are good for that. Why you?"

EdroGrimshell
2014-03-13, 02:15 PM
"Serra is a decent sort," Ed starts, "I find her own abilities interesting, and she finds mine the same, she offered me a job, and I took the chance. She's reckless and scatterbrained at times, but she's reliable and means well," Ed continues, "I trust her, and that's all I really need to stick around."

"It helps you like her too," Slumber says, getting Ed to groan and facepalm.

"...Right... that," he says with his head in his hands.

Haluesen
2014-03-13, 03:31 PM
Gorkond smirked a bit and looked at Ed, finishing another mug. "Don't choose that. It just is. Still, good reasons." He then turned his gaze onto Slumber. "What do you do for them?"

EdroGrimshell
2014-03-13, 04:16 PM
Slumber tilts her head, "I'm Serra's familiar, I sing, I scout, and I message."

Haluesen
2014-03-13, 07:30 PM
The mostly silent dwarf nodded a bit and muttered, An odd crew, us all together. Bandits won't expect it." He gave a light nod of the head to both of them. "Plans til then? I'll eat and drink more, too early to sleep where I am from. Tomorrow wait until the right time Both of you?" It was already fairly late at night now, with only a few tables still full of people drinking and talking. Kasil and Vincent were completely asleep by now, and there was no knowing exactly what Salkamar was up to by now.

EdroGrimshell
2014-03-14, 02:31 PM
"Slumber will be sticking with Salkamar tomorrow, I on the other hand will be working in the alchemy labs someone gets me or I finish what I'm working on," Ed replies, "until then, I'm going to drink myself under the table," he states with a sigh.

He pokes Slumber, "you should head to bed, Salk's an elf so he'll be up well before us," Ed says to the dragonfly, who squeaks and flits up the stares to join Serra.

Haluesen
2014-03-19, 01:19 PM
Gorkond nodded in agreement with the plan and continued to drink most of the night away.

Feel like any more RP here, or onto the next day?

EdroGrimshell
2014-03-19, 08:00 PM
I'm good, we can skip to the next day.

Haluesen
2014-03-19, 11:59 PM
Dawn of the 3rd Day
Infinity Days Remain

On the next day it was at it was the day before, with people waking up early to start work and trade. Salkamar was no different, already wandering the town even very early with his eyes open for signs of the bandits, slim though the chance of seeing anything was.

As for the adventuring party they had met the other day, Kasil was up and preparing his magic, Vincent was out in town handling his own business, and Gorkond was still deeply asleep, and would be until much later. Such is what comes from tons of alcohol and generally staying up late.

EdroGrimshell
2014-03-21, 10:11 AM
Serra wakes bright and early, she was going to be looking into this hunter she was told about yesterday, he could be interesting. She wakes up Slumber so she'd go with Ed to the lab for the day.

Ed on the other hand, rolled out of bed with a hangover, but, he quickly mixes up a concoction of herbal tea and a small amount of the powder and herbs used in antitoxins and healing salves, with a bit of lemon and honey to cut the bitterness, and downs it in one go, he'd be breathing steam for the next few hours but it got rid of the hangover.

Gonna wait for RP then roll the stuff.

Haluesen
2014-03-21, 12:52 PM
The bartender from the night previous gestured toward Serra when she went down into the tavern area. "Hey, do you need any more information before you head out for the day?" She figured it fair to try to be helpful after the discussion last night.

Well that's all I can think of for RP at the moment, unless your 3 are going to be interacting with anyone in particular. Make your rolls/other things.

EdroGrimshell
2014-03-21, 05:22 PM
Serra simply replies, "just directions to that hunter you mentioned, I want to talk to him before noon."

Ed and Slumber, on the other hand, go straight to the shop to get to work, Ed on acids and Slumber on tindertwigs.

Both taking 10
Edward: 21 x 15 = 315sp = 31.5gp = 3 Acids
Slumber: 22 x 20 = 440sp = 44gp = 44 Tindertwigs

Haluesen
2014-04-02, 02:06 PM
The bartender nodded a bit. "Very well. The hunter, Krojan, has the widest house at the end of town, near the gates where you entered from. But...he may not be there. If he's not, your best bet is to look around the nearby dunes, he may be exploring or tracking something. I wish you well with...well, whatever you have in mind."

Hifas watched them for a few minutes while they worked, smiling at their progress, before having to go attend to another patron.

EdroGrimshell
2014-04-02, 07:30 PM
Serra nods, thanking the bartender and heads out to look for the hunter. She hoped to be ready before noon, even if Slumber and Ed wouldn't be ready until the afternoon. Salkamar would know where to find them, and when, so that would be fine for tonight. As long as the bandit showed up tonight, anyway.

Haluesen
2014-04-02, 08:02 PM
The hunter was away from home as the bartender had expected, but not too far away. He was just outside of town, a tall and lean half-orc covered in the signs of his victories and hunts, sorting out a large backpack near the town gates. At the moment, he had not yet noticed Serra, or else had noticed and paid no heed to her.

EdroGrimshell
2014-04-02, 08:19 PM
Serra walks over to the hunter, "would you happen to be Krojan?" she asks the half-orc simply.

Haluesen
2014-04-02, 08:26 PM
The half-orc looked over his shoulder and nodded swiftly at her. "Indeed I am. Who's asking?" He slung his pack over his shoulder and turned to face Serra. He carried a sturdy longbow on his back, had a few daggers on belts around his clothing in various places, and had a rapier in a sheathe at his side. He looked at her without much expression, seeming almost casual at best, or else maybe just bored.

EdroGrimshell
2014-04-02, 09:04 PM
"Serra Dertak," she replies, nodding to the half-orc, "I deal with unusual creatures, and I was told you were knowledgeable about the deserts, and the game available."

Haluesen
2014-04-03, 12:03 PM
He gave her another quick nod, then looked out at the path then back to her. "Indeed I do, more than anyone else in this town. If you want some information, follow along. I like keeping to a schedule." He started walking then from the town gates, assuming she was behind or beside him following. "So what precise information do you need? I can be general, but more specific questions to answer would be easier."

EdroGrimshell
2014-04-03, 09:54 PM
"As I mentioned, I deal with unusual creatures," Serra says, "I've heard of a few creatures in the region, such as the sand hunter, but I'm mostly interested in magical beasts and fey creatures. However, I currently only have the resources to handle ones about the size of a dog, would you be able to help me find one like that?"