PDA

View Full Version : Adding spells to wizards spell list (pathfinder)

Yogibear41
2013-11-14, 11:41 PM
Jeez I Have a bunch of Pathfinder questions today! Anyway I was wondering if it was possible to add non-wizard spells to the wizards spell list in pathfinder. Specifically looking at the Magic Vestment spell at this particular time, but if there are ways to do it for other spells that is great too!

avr
2013-11-14, 11:54 PM
Easier to do the reverse, oddly. The Veiled Illusionist PrC lets certain divine casters grab sorc/wiz illusion spells. Aside from that PF tends to put a firewall between divine and arcane spells.

There's a magus archetype which allows the magus to enhance their armor. If you're doing a gish-type you are probably better to start with a magus than a wizard.

Corlindale
2013-11-15, 12:34 AM
The Arcane Savant prestige class works. Costs a caster level to enter but it lets you pull a few spells from any list. Not worth is just for Magic Vestment in my opinion, but your mileage may vary.

Otherwise there aren't many ways I know of. It's a bit easier to pull from other arcane lists, here the easy answer is "be a Samsaran".

Faily
2013-11-15, 11:25 AM
And the big question is of course; do the wizards need more spells on their list?

No, they don't. They already have a very powerful one.

Easiest way to work around Magic Vestment for you would be to invest in Use Magic Device and pick up a Wand.

Yogibear41
2013-11-15, 03:18 PM
Well of course the wizard list is incredibly powerful and under normal circumstances I wouldn't try to add anything to it. But I'm looking at playing a gish type construct that is going to have a built in spell failure chance of around 40-50% based on his plating (sort of like a warfored) so I'm basically limiting myself to long term buff spells that I can make sure I get up before I have to risk failing in combat, or spells with no somatic components to begin with, or using the still spell metamagic feat on everything else. Trying to build a tank out of a wizard he he, figured I could save myself thousands of gold If I could just cast magic vestment everday on my armor and shield for free bonuses. The wand would be okay but the caster level is going to be incredibly low and I might as well just pay for a +1 bonus.

Ravens_cry
2013-11-15, 03:23 PM
Spell Research is fun, though I personally would be more OK with it if you made your own spells and researched them rather than stealing them whole cloth from another list.

grarrrg
2013-11-15, 10:34 PM
There's a Mini-Guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296803) for that.