PDA

View Full Version : 3.X Turning Warblade into a gestalt superclass and looking for critiques

Da Beast
2013-11-15, 12:02 AM
So I'm going to be playing in a gestalt campaign and rather than combining two classes like normal I wanted to make a sort of super warblade to count as both sides of my progression since my concept (sword and board knight type character) doesn't really need another class to flesh itself out. I'm thinking of starting with normal warblade, adding good will save progression and 6 or 8 skill points a level (and probably some more class skills), the mettle ability (maybe around lvl 10?), using the swordsage table for maneuvers known/readied and stances known, adding devoted spirit and iron tortoise (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160377) to disciplines (probably with some nerfs to some of the iron tortoise maneuvers, some of them or kind of crazy), and extra bonus feats (I'm thinking of expanding the bonus feat list to include the fighter bonus feat list and giving feats every three or even two levels rather than every four). Does all this seem like too much or like a pretty good benchmark? I have a better sense of game balance than the DM so he'll probably just trust whatever I come up with to be balanced rather than work with it himself so I'd like to get things right to begin with.

Lastly, I know this concept could probably be done pretty well by gestalting warblade with the knight class from PHB2 but I don't want to deal with the knight's code or build my character around the knight's challenge ability, so please don't suggest that.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-15, 12:07 AM
There are plenty of things you can throw in there that should work with your concept without having to invent something. How 'bout Warblade//Factotum? That gets you skills, Int synergy, and bonus standard actions, which mesh really well with your maneuvers. Warblade//Scout would also be pretty solid, since you can move+initiate without caring about losing full attacks.

Da Beast
2013-11-15, 12:17 AM
There are plenty of things you can throw in there that should work with your concept without having to invent something. How 'bout Warblade//Factotum? That gets you skills, Int synergy, and bonus standard actions, which mesh really well with your maneuvers. Warblade//Scout would also be pretty solid, since you can move+initiate without caring about losing full attacks.

I'm not trying to make a warrior/scout type character or a warrior/thief who dabbles in arcane magic and divine favors, I just want someone who stands in the midst of battle with shield raised and sword drawn and is really, really good at it.

ngilop
2013-11-15, 12:22 AM
if you are going to just make your class.. why not just ya know.. TAKE the knight abilities but completely just don't do
knight's code or build my character around the knight's challenge ability, so please don't suggest that.

that seems pretty easy to me.

i mean serisouly if you are creatign your own class here.. why don't you just do the most simple fix and just clap on Knight abilities (except for the whole challenge thing) and nail that onto the warblade already?

Da Beast
2013-11-15, 01:25 AM
Does anyone have any thoughts on the class changes I actually posted? I'm not interested in watering down my concept or gimping myself by gestalting with a class that I'm not interested in and just not using the main ability that the entire class is built around. I'm just looking for advice on how to make a balanced warblade on steroids for a gestalt game.