PDA

View Full Version : Druids and natural attacks

NikitaDarkstar
2013-11-15, 01:27 AM
So I got a question for you lot. In an upcoming World of Warcraft themed game I will be playing a druid who spends most of her time wild-shaped (We'll be using Pathfinder and the World of Warcraft: RPG books, with maybe a little 3.5, but the last one is a big maybe), and I was wondering if you guys know any feats, traits or similar in Pathfinder that would allow me to get extra attacks for high BAB (I know druids in PF technically don't work like that, but bare with me, please?). I looked at multi-attack but it doesn't quite seem to fit the bill as it simply lets an animal/monster use all their natural weapons with lesser penalties on a full round attack. I'm looking for something that'd give me more attacks per natural weapon for high BAB.

Or heck if you just know something in 3.5 that allows this (I'm sure there's something, but I honestly haven't spent much time messing with natural attacks before), just really anything to show my DM before asking to completely homebrew something.

Crake
2013-11-15, 01:43 AM
So I got a question for you lot. In an upcoming World of Warcraft themed game I will be playing a druid who spends most of her time wild-shaped (We'll be using Pathfinder and the World of Warcraft: RPG books, with maybe a little 3.5, but the last one is a big maybe), and I was wondering if you guys know any feats, traits or similar in Pathfinder that would allow me to get extra attacks for high BAB (I know druids in PF technically don't work like that, but bare with me, please?). I looked at multi-attack but it doesn't quite seem to fit the bill as it simply lets an animal/monster use all their natural weapons with lesser penalties on a full round attack. I'm looking for something that'd give me more attacks per natural weapon for high BAB.

Or heck if you just know something in 3.5 that allows this (I'm sure there's something, but I honestly haven't spent much time messing with natural attacks before), just really anything to show my DM before asking to completely homebrew something.

Rapidstrike from draconomicon kinda does that, but if you read exactly how it works, its not that great

tyckspoon
2013-11-15, 01:45 AM
Improved Unarmed Strike is the easiest way, although some DMs and/or playing groups get a bit hesitant about the Martial Arts Tiger visuals it creates. You can also try wearing barding with armor spikes or one of the other non-hand-using weapons that exists - there's about a half-dozen of them of various kinds in 3.5, not sure about Pathfinder.

NikitaDarkstar
2013-11-15, 03:35 AM
The barding and non-hand-using weapons would create an even more awkward image. I'll check with improved unarmed strike since the "martial arts tiger" visual really isn't that out of place in a WoW setting with a druid.

But I just need to have it clarified, would it still work with the PF version of improved unarmed strike cause this is what it says:

Benefit: You are considered to be armed even when unarmed—you do not provoke attacks of opportunity when you attack foes while unarmed. Your unarmed strikes can deal lethal or nonlethal damage, at your choice.

I see nothing in there on how it would give the extra attacks normally granted by high BAB, unless the part that reads "You are considered to be armed even when armed" would be that part, which would just mean the unarmed attacks follow the normal rules of natural attacks, correct? Which still doesn't solve the "no extra attacks due to BAB" issue of natural attacks?

Rapidstrike however is closer to what I want and might actually be worth investing in if my DM would go for it. It's not ideal (far from it) but it's at least a step in the right direction.

Chronos
2013-11-15, 09:43 AM
Attacks with unarmed strikes follow most of the same rules as attacks with a manufactured weapon: You get iterative attacks with them. If you have a weapon and natural weapons, you get all of your iteratives, and then one secondary attack with each of your natural weapons. So, for instance, if you're a tiger with BAB 11 and you're pouncing, you'd get UAS +11/UAS +6/claw +6/claw +6/bite +6/rake +6/rake +6/UAS +1.

Deox
2013-11-15, 10:13 AM
Improved Unarmed Strike is the easiest way, although some DMs and/or playing groups get a bit hesitant about the Martial Arts Tiger visuals it creates.

Pandarians.

Psyren
2013-11-15, 10:41 AM
@ Nikita: This is the passage you're looking for:

Creatures with natural attacks and attacks made with weapons can use both as part of a full attack action (although often a creature must forgo one natural attack for each weapon clutched in that limb, be it a claw, tentacle, or slam). Such creatures attack with their weapons normally but treat all of their available natural attacks as secondary attacks during that attack, regardless of the attack’s original type.

The key there is that if a natural attack and a weapon attack occupy the same limb, you only get one. So fluff your unarmed strikes as elbows, knees, kicks, body blows and headbutts to be sure you get them all. Then the natural attacks will all follow, and be secondary (with a massive penalty unless you grabbed multiattack.)

Chronos
2013-11-15, 10:57 AM
It's not really a massive penalty. It's the same penalty as you'd get on your second iterative attack. And using the natural weapons puts no penalty at all on your weapon attacks, so they're basically a free extra.