PDA

View Full Version : PF Deft Shootist, worth Dodge and mobility?

Cranthis
2013-11-15, 05:17 AM
So, while Leaping Shot (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/leaping-shot-deed-grit) sounds really cool, it is a little vague. Does it mean I can make a single attack (or two with two weapons), or can I make as many attacks as my revolver has chambers? I'm betting on the first one, but some clarification would be nice.
Edit: Resolved, but secondary question (see title) came up.

avr
2013-11-15, 06:18 AM
The line about only making the attacks at different points in the movement if you have two firearms suggests the intent is one attack/firearm. It's also quite similar to spring attack or shot on the run which give one attack only.

OTOH the falling prone and costing a grit point make the feat worse than either of those feats (& neither is even good), so you could reasonably ask for more from your DM.

Cranthis
2013-11-15, 06:22 AM
Secondary Question, is Deft Shootist deed worth taking Dodge and mobility?

avr
2013-11-15, 06:48 AM
IMO you'd be getting several other ranged combat feats first, so by the time you can afford it as a gunslinger you should be able to avoid AoOs most of the time by magic items (when the humble 5' step can't help, of course). As a multiclassed fighter/gunslinger ... maybe you'd get it, if the campaign wasn't likely to get into the teens anyway.

This is very much mileage-may-vary though.

Occasional Sage
2013-11-15, 11:55 AM
The line about only making the attacks at different points in the movement if you have two firearms suggests the intent is one attack/firearm. It's also quite similar to spring attack or shot on the run which give one attack only.

I disagree. The phrasing "[Y]ou can... make firearm attacks... with each loaded firearm you are wielding" clearly states that multiple attacks can be made with each. Oddly, while each gun can be fired from a different square, all shots from a specific gun must be from the samesquare.

Cranthis
2013-11-15, 03:06 PM
IMO you'd be getting several other ranged combat feats first, so by the time you can afford it as a gunslinger you should be able to avoid AoOs most of the time by magic items (when the humble 5' step can't help, of course). As a multiclassed fighter/gunslinger ... maybe you'd get it, if the campaign wasn't likely to get into the teens anyway.

This is very much mileage-may-vary though.
Well, its a little weird. I'm playing a pathfinder class in 3.5. and we are at level 9.

I disagree. The phrasing "[Y]ou can... make firearm attacks... with each loaded firearm you are wielding" clearly states that multiple attacks can be made with each. Oddly, while each gun can be fired from a different square, all shots from a specific gun must be from the samesquare.

And now we are back to square one.

Occasional Sage
2013-11-15, 05:02 PM
And now we are back to square one.

Sorry. I'm helpy like that sometimes.

Vanitas
2013-11-15, 07:41 PM
GUN-DO-LON! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212964)

grarrrg
2013-11-15, 10:45 PM
The feat is basically trying to recreate this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJe-Av0u8iU) (14 seconds in), where you run, and jump sideways whilst firing away.

Going by the "feel" of the feat, you can make as many attacks as you are able, withOUT reloading your gun(s).
So if you have 2 'early firearm' pistols, you may make 2 attacks (1 each).
If you have a set of Revolvers, then go crazy (up to what is normally allowed by your Bab/Feats).