PDA

View Full Version : [PF/3.5] Levitate waterskiing

Passer-by
2013-11-15, 07:22 AM
Levitate allows you to move yourself, another creature, or an object up and down as you wish. A creature must be willing to be levitated, and an object must be unattended or possessed by a willing creature. You can mentally direct the recipient to move up or down as much as 20 feet each round; doing so is a move action. You cannot move the recipient horizontally, but the recipient could clamber along the face of a cliff, for example, or push against a ceiling to move laterally (generally at half its base land speed).

My players found an interesting way of exploiting this wonderful spell, that I couldn't find wrong (by RAW) or in any way game breaking (for now). I've actually been using it for my NPCs, because it seems logical. I want to know what do other people think about this:

a) If you can move laterally by using a solid structure, could you do so with a moving structure? What about a flying one?

b) If you attached a rope to a vehicle, and that vehicle moved, would you still be weighless and able to move at its speed? Would the spell "break"?

c) In other words, does THIS make any sense?
http://i43.tinypic.com/119b1hl.jpg

Levitate does seem to have some sort of anchor to its movement. Most fantasy setting planets are conceived round, spinning, and, well, Earth-like. So, D&D's weird gravity rules do still kind of apply. If they didn't, any levitating creature would be sent flying miles away.

I'm still going to accept the waterskiing feature of the levitate spell in my campaign, because it doesn't break the game in any way. A Fly spell is still better than levitateskiing.

But, is there an actual reason why this shouldn't be allowed?

nedz
2013-11-15, 07:30 AM
It's fine, I've seen it done several times. The funniest was with a levitating sedan chair.

RFLS
2013-11-15, 07:33 AM
The dragon seems a little nonplussed. I think the human crossed some sort of line.

Anyway, yeah - by RAW, it works. Pretty clever.

Passer-by
2013-11-15, 09:17 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this made sense.

The Internet has spoken!

Asheram
2013-11-15, 10:29 AM
This is what a decanter of endless water is for. ;)