PDA

View Full Version : Combining weapons? Legal or homebrew?

Swaoeaeieu
2013-11-15, 09:23 AM
So i have been comming across some awsome weapons. And since i am always looking for cool stuff to do with my melee based characters is have a question for the playground.

If a weapon has a function that is cool, but the rest of the weapons is not wanted. Could a different weapon be equiped with the special function of the previous weapon?

My example: we all know the minotaur greathammer is the best hammer. It is awsome, period. But today i came across the war spikard (magic of ebberon). Wich is a hammer that on impact fires a crosbow bolt.
Is it possible to (for example) get a really good craftsman to make me a minotaur greathammer-spikard? A hammer that i think is worth the feat, with the extra option to do something cool witch i would still be considering spending a feat on.

TL;DR. Can you combine weapons according to the rules (RAW or RAI) or do i need a visit to the homebrew forum?

As always, thanks in advance.

Traab
2013-11-15, 10:26 AM
SWORDCHUCKS!!!!!! Oh sorry, its just the first thing I thought of when you wrote combining weapons. :p

Brookshw
2013-11-15, 10:33 AM
If Aliens taught us anything its that duct taping two weapons together is awesome and should be done at every opportunity.

Also beware creatures with acid for blood.

Vedhin
2013-11-15, 10:53 AM
It is strictly homebrew.

Also, read this thread (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-general/threads/1111441) to see the road of hilarity and madness you are embarking upon.

Uncle Pine
2013-11-15, 11:00 AM
I'd be really amused to discover a way to do this by RAW. Unfortunately, the only thing vaguely similar to it that I can think of is a Morphing weapon. :smallannoyed:

ngilop
2013-11-15, 11:05 AM
yeah theres not a RAW way to make new weapons for your players..

just like how they cannot create their own feats

BUt rest assured your magic users can create their own spells RAW

now explain to me how that is fair at all?

Zanfire
2013-11-15, 11:38 AM
Couldn't you use the guidelines in the DMG for creating/pricing magic weapons to deconstruct the cost of the particular ability in question, and then just add that property to another weapon using the same guidelines?

Swaoeaeieu
2013-11-15, 12:41 PM
It is strictly homebrew.

Also, read this thread (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-general/threads/1111441) to see the road of hilarity and madness you are embarking upon.

nice thread, not exactly the route is was gonna take, but madness is still funny. :D

SWORDCHUCKS!!!!!!
That was the first the path to madness Vedhin showed me.

yeah theres not a RAW way to make new weapons for your players..

just like how they cannot create their own feats

now explain to me how that is fair at all?

everyone knows melee can't have nice things. We all try to cope in our own special way.

Couldn't you use the guidelines in the DMG for creating/pricing magic weapons to deconstruct the cost of the particular ability in question, and then just add that property to another weapon using the same guidelines?
Those guidelines work for magic abilities. Do they also work for nonmagical properties?

So there is no strict RAW on this execpt maybe the rules for magic properties?

Also, on the subject of warspikard. Can you enchant the bow part seperately or do all the enchantments on the hammer work for the bow too?

P.s.

Also beware creatures with acid for blood.
Noted and archived

Swaoeaeieu
2013-11-15, 06:57 PM
Sorry for posting twice in a row. But now that i am thinking about this is had an idea and i need some input on this.

it isn't a magic property i want to add. But there are things like armor spikes and wand sheaths that can be attached to all armor and weapons, so why not treat the spikard like one of those. Just another special property to be added to existing weapons.

A warspikard is priced at 350 gp and does 1d8 dmg(medium weapon) with a x2 crit.
A normal warhammer is priced at 12 gp and also does 1d8 dmg. Has a crit of x3.

A spear spikard is 200 gp. 1d6 x2.
short spear is 1 gp. 1d6 x2

So most of the price in the spikard weapons is used for the spikard part, since the normal versions don't cost that much.

So the price of adding a spikard mechanism is dependant on the dmg of the normal weapon. Wich is fair, since the spikard doubles the dmg.
A 1d8 weapon would cost 300 or 350 gp to upgrade
a 1d6 weapon costs 200 g
What would a 1d10 or higher weapon cost to equip with this?

or do you all think i am crazy with this idea?

TuggyNE
2013-11-15, 09:44 PM

Well, sort of. They can try to create their own spells or custom magic items, but it only works if the DM allows those specific ones.

Those guidelines work for magic abilities. Do they also work for nonmagical properties?

Nope.

So the price of adding a spikard mechanism is dependant on the dmg of the normal weapon. Wich is fair, since the spikard doubles the dmg.
A 1d8 weapon would cost 300 or 350 gp to upgrade
a 1d6 weapon costs 200 g
What would a 1d10 or higher weapon cost to equip with this?

or do you all think i am crazy with this idea?

The way I would peg it, actually, is that the spikard should add +1d8 on hit always, but there's two slightly different varieties, one of which reduces critical multiplier by one (and can only be applied to x3 or better weapons), and the other of which doesn't affect the multiplier but costs more. Call it 300 gp and 450 gp respectively as a very rough approximation.

Prime32
2013-11-15, 09:46 PM
It would require two Exotic Weapon Proficiency feats, at any rate. (Exoticist Fighter or Master of Masks recommended)

The cost of mundane weapons doesn't follow any real pattern.

Scow2
2013-11-15, 10:16 PM
Heh.... reminds me of when I made a Fighter that spend three EWPs on a Double Repeating Great Crossbow.

Prime32
2013-11-15, 10:22 PM
Heh.... reminds me of when I made a Fighter that spend three EWPs on a Double Repeating Great Crossbow.Did it look like this (http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/endlesswaltz/xxxg-01h2.jpg) by any chance? :smalltongue:

Scow2
2013-11-15, 10:43 PM
No, but the character WAS supposed to be something like a Heavy Bolter Devastator Marine (With ranks in Heal and a level of Dragon Shaman for the Aura of Vigor - it was going to be a cool campaign, had it not fizzled out like every PbP tends to do). And, to top off the weapon-combination, it also had a Sword bayonette attached (Unfortunately, it didn't come in Chainsword).

Unfortunately, he only had a 13 Dex (Because he wore heavy armor)... but 18s in Strength and Constitution. Stupid lack of Strength/Crossbow synergy :(

ShurikVch
2013-11-16, 07:26 AM
:smallsmile:
Don't fear a knife,
Be afraid of a fork:
Two strikes -
Eight holes
http://www.nat20games.com/myspace/Untitled4.jpg
:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Allanimal
2013-11-16, 08:37 AM
Also, on the subject of warspikard. Can you enchant the bow part seperately or do all the enchantments on the hammer work for the bow too?

For a double weapon, you need to enchant each end of the weapon separately. I would treat the hammer and the crossbow in the same way, each part with its own enchants. Gets expensive quick...

Jgosse
2013-11-16, 08:49 AM
at one point I played with a Goliath fighter who had a Great sword on a spike chain(just one not sword chucks). I think the DM counted it as exotic.

Prime32
2013-11-16, 12:51 PM
Also, on the subject of warspikard. Can you enchant the bow part seperately or do all the enchantments on the hammer work for the bow too?There is no "bow part". It's a situational damage increase, not a weapon that can be used on its own.

(Greater) mighty wallop should affect both at once though.

Swaoeaeieu
2013-11-16, 03:07 PM
The way I would peg it, actually, is that the spikard should add +1d8 on hit always, but there's two slightly different varieties, one of which reduces critical multiplier by one (and can only be applied to x3 or better weapons), and the other of which doesn't affect the multiplier but costs more. Call it 300 gp and 450 gp respectively as a very rough approximation.

Well this is starting to become more and more of a homebrew, so ill make a thread there i think, or ask in the quick homebrew thread. But thanks a lot for the input. :)

There is no "bow part". It's a situational damage increase, not a weapon that can be used on its own.

(Greater) mighty wallop should affect both at once though

Why would wallop work on both? doesn't that only work on bludgeoning weapons?

So you cant enchant the bow, but you can improve the arrows right? Because in the description it states the arrows are normal crossbow bolts.