PDA

View Full Version : X-Rebirth is OUT!!!!!!!

Jonzac
2013-11-15, 10:55 AM
I'm so excited for this game. I've been a fan of the X-series of games for years. In fact I have a X3-AP game of pure piratery (ala Squiddy McSquid fanfic fame) that has been exhilerating. I've never tried a "bad boy" type game in X3 before and its been a lot of fun.

I've played the trader and kept my fight rank at harmless, amassing enough money to do whatever I wanted while I finished the plots. I've done a anti-pirate conglomerate...heck I've even played commerce raider for the Terrans (much like pirating only not as much fun to role-play).

Can't wait to get home and fire up Steam to give it a whirl.

Any one else play?

factotum
2013-11-15, 02:33 PM
Yes...and it's probably the most disappointing thing I've played in many a long year. Couldn't get it to work with my joystick so I switched to an XBox controller, have played it for less than an hour and my left hand is already starting to cramp. May try it with mouse and keyboard to see if at least *one* of the available control methods works properly, but not holding out much hope at this stage.

Jonzac
2013-11-15, 03:01 PM
Well I haven't used a joystick since X2 the threat so I can't imagine that would be an issue for me. I'm a keyboard and mouse kind of guy.

Other than the controller, hows the rest of it?

Aotrs Commander
2013-11-16, 07:04 PM
Not that it particularly matters at the immediate moment - since I need to replace my joystick and having (to an unfortunate series of events) had to spend £240+temporarily £110 on a new graphics card (for future proofing Squadron 42/Star Citizen because my graphics card abruptly failed) and so that ain't happening this year - but is it completely a sort of Elite-clone or does it have any military TIE Fighter/Freespace 2 mission-y campaigns to it?

Volatar
2013-11-16, 07:58 PM
It's buggy as all else but man am I having a blast.

factotum
2013-11-17, 02:31 AM
Not that it particularly matters at the immediate moment - since I need to replace my joystick

I wouldn't worry about that, the game doesn't work well with joysticks at the moment. It's more of an Elite clone, but there is a plotline with missions to follow in the campaign mode.

Speaking personally, giving up on the game for now--I've just run in to too many bugs in the brief time I've been playing it. I have confidence Egosoft will fix them, because they always do, but I'm going to wait until they've done so rather than try to slog through the game in its current state. (Who knows? By the time they've fixed it all I might be in a position to upgrade my computer to get a decent framerate, too!).

Gnoman
2013-11-17, 03:39 AM
That's why I'm waiting at least a month to buy this.

ObadiahtheSlim
2013-11-18, 08:17 AM
Judging by Egosoft's track record, wait until the first or second major patch before playing.

I do have a question though. I preferred my dual analog controller for X3. Will that still work well in Rebirth? I liked having one stick as my flight stick and the other for the strafe drive.

factotum
2013-11-18, 10:34 AM
That's the way they have the XBox controller setup sorted--one analogue stick for turning, the other for strafe. If your controller is anything similar to an XBox one then you should be sorted.

JHShadon
2013-11-18, 10:38 AM
I tried it, begun the campaign, and I can't hit the damn drones, does anyone have any tips on how to actually hit things?

Volatar
2013-11-18, 10:59 AM
First patch is out. Fixes for the superhighway to nowhere bug and the stuck traders.

I tried it, begun the campaign, and I can't hit the damn drones, does anyone have any tips on how to actually hit things?

Click them first to select them as your target and a reticle will show up that will help you lead them.

Jonzac
2013-11-18, 04:01 PM
Also, you might have to turn your "auto aim" (assuming you have the right module loaded) to ON to have your guns follow the "aim here" reticule that shows up.

factotum
2013-11-18, 04:11 PM
Also, you might have to turn your "auto aim" (assuming you have the right module loaded) to ON to have your guns follow the "aim here" reticule that shows up.

I don't think Rebirth works that way--aim assist is an option in the game settings, it doesn't seem to be a piece of software like it was in earlier games.

Jonzac
2013-11-18, 06:23 PM
Oh, I don't have the game yet...I was informed that "its too close to Christmas" *sigh*

Volatar
2013-11-18, 09:39 PM
It's ok. When you get it you will get it without all the bugs.

iyaerP
2013-11-18, 10:55 PM
That's why I am waiting for a christmas sale on steam.

Jonzac
2013-11-19, 10:07 AM
OK, I've got to ask after reading the forum drama on egosoft's site. Are they REALLY bugs? I mean bugs imply that the game stops working, or prevents you from completing an action...a bug is not "I don't like the UI", or "the cockpit is to glunky".

Everything I've read so far boils down to "its not X3:AP". which is funny because if you were reading the egosoft forum after X3:Reunion came out and implementing the current menu system and took OUT cockpits, you would have thought the world was going to come to an end...no one would buy another X product, etc.

Now those SAME design decisions that were lampooned when they first came out are now being defended by the "internet faithful" as the best thing EVER!!!!

Makes me laugh if it wasn't so pathetic.

So I ask again...are there game stopping bugs or just things you don't like?

factotum
2013-11-19, 11:48 AM
Oh, there are definitely game stopping bugs in there. I ran into my first one on release night when I couldn't complete the campaign mission to buy some energy cells and transport them to another station--that's a pretty common one, although I think Egosoft may have fixed it already. Didn't personally encounter any others, because, as I said earlier, I'm waiting for them to fix the majority of the reported problems before I do so--don't want my experience of the game spoiled by bugs.

Volatar
2013-11-19, 10:33 PM
So I ask again...are there game stopping bugs or just things you don't like?

Oh yes, there are quite a few. Many many minor ones and a few major ones. My game crashes on average once every hour and a half or so for example. They are putting out patches very fast though.

Oh, there are definitely game stopping bugs in there. I ran into my first one on release night when I couldn't complete the campaign mission to buy some energy cells and transport them to another station

Heh, that's not actually a bug. That's a lack of feedback problem. Your trader was simply waiting in the queue... which can take hours. They are going to fix that though. Probably just give the player priority :P

factotum
2013-11-20, 02:42 AM
Heh, that's not actually a bug. That's a lack of feedback problem. Your trader was simply waiting in the queue... which can take hours. They are going to fix that though. Probably just give the player priority :P

No, it was a bug--my trader bought the e-cells as requested but then there was no mission update to tell me what to do next.

Volatar
2013-11-20, 09:43 AM
No, it was a bug--my trader bought the e-cells as requested but then there was no mission update to tell me what to do next.

That is indeed a bug. You got a step further than a lot of people.

Choyrt
2013-11-20, 10:18 AM
As excited as I am for this, I will wait until it is out of Beta. I'll be playing Freespace 2 in anticipation, however.