PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Lvl 19 Magus:wizard spells

Arc_knight25
2013-11-15, 11:02 AM
At level 19 the Magus gets 2 spells from level 0-6 from the Wizards spell list.

What spells would you pick for a Magus to learn?

Psyren
2013-11-15, 11:05 AM
At level 19 the Magus gets 2 spells from level 0-6 from the Wizards spell list.

What spells would you pick for a Magus to learn?

Whatever I haven't gotten yet from Spell Blending.

Arc_knight25
2013-11-18, 09:04 AM
My character hasn't really touched Spell Blending. I've taken Familiar, Arcane Bleed, Devoted blade, Arcane Accuracy, Ghost Blade.

What actual spells though would be a good addition to the Magus spell list from the Wizards?

My character has been more of a utility caster/buffer(Haste) then straight damage. Don't get me wrong, I can lay the smack down when needed but our fighter, blaster Sorc and TWF rogue(Greater invis from me = fight over) kind of fill those roles.

Novawurmson
2013-11-18, 09:29 AM
Just a few possibilities:

6 - Antimagic Field, Summon Monster VI*, Greater Heroism.
5- Dismissal, Wreath of Blades, Persistent Image, Shadow Evocation, Magic Jar, Polymorph.
4 - Dimensional Anchor, Protection from Energy, Communal, Animate Dead, Boneshatter.

In general, you're already getting most of the best spells of the Wizard every level anyway.Try to pick up things that will help you with your buffing job (Greater Heroism is the best I saw) or allow you to do things you couldn't before (minionmancy being a major one).

*Definitely pick up at least one of the Summoner Monster line, probably either I or VI. A low level one lets you abuse the utility of the spell by summoning them as scouts and so forth, while the highest level one will be decent speedbumps to enemies and/or provide spellcasting support of their own.

Psyren
2013-11-18, 09:35 AM
False Life/GFL and Protection from Energy are very good defensive choices, and unlike a wizard, you can cast these without needing a "buffing round" where you're not swinging at something. Offensive buffs include Spectral Hand and Heroism. Certain Grip is nice if your DM enjoys to disarm you. Nondetection is also nice to have in some campaigns.

Don't forget also that, if retraining is allowed, you can use it to pick up obscure/rare magus spells you can't find scrolls for, scribe them in your spellbook, and then swap the arcana to a different spell or even different choice altogether.

Arc_knight25
2013-11-18, 10:55 AM
Psyren you sly fox you. That is a great idea. Retraining Spell blending after its been scribed into your spell book is great. I think my DM would throw a book or two at me for trying it though.

Ninjaxenomorph
2013-11-18, 11:38 AM
Whatever I haven't gotten yet from Spell Blending.

Just a few possibilities:

6 - Antimagic Field, Summon Monster VI*, Greater Heroism.
5- Dismissal, Wreath of Blades, Persistent Image, Shadow Evocation, Magic Jar, Polymorph.
4 - Dimensional Anchor, Protection from Energy, Communal, Animate Dead, Boneshatter.

Magus already gets Wreath of Blades. Antimagic Field is risky, but could be worth it, especially if you have the trait which gives you bonuses inside one.

Arc_knight25
2013-11-19, 09:03 AM
I have made a list of some of the lower level spells I may want. Feedback is encouraged.

Cantrips: Breeze, Mend, Message, Drench
1st: Touch of Gracelessness, Summon Monster I, Keep Watch, Endure Elements
2nd: Create Pit, Detect thoughts, Touch of idocy, Make Whole, Knock
3rd: Mad Monkeys, Spiked Pit, Blood Biography,