PDA

View Full Version : The Summoning Chamber [Temple of Inari]

Fenric
2007-01-10, 02:13 PM
You enter small building set apart from the others with solid stone walls, a sturdy roof, and a thick adamantine door. Inside; the obsidian ceiling, walls and floors are crawling with glowing silvery magical sigils. Literally crawling, the magic writing moves even as you look at it. In the very center of the room is a summoning circle of gold, platinum, and gemstones. The design is intricate beyond belief and it is worth wondering if even living creatures might find themselves bound inside should the priests wish it.

Exachix
2007-01-10, 02:14 PM
((Wow. It's now a seperate thread. *Throws party for the chamber*))

Fenric
2007-01-10, 02:20 PM
Krystal arranges her notes, and has the acolytes get the notebooks and writing supplies ready for Alex. Then the acolytes go and wait in a corner.

Alex Shipmaster
2007-01-10, 02:22 PM
Alex walks into the chamber and looks around "Wow, this place has got a new thready like look."

Fenric
2007-01-10, 02:39 PM
Krystal nods

Well... it gets so confusing otherwise. Anyway, the first thing to do is give you a bit of practical training in the basics of spellcraft so you have some idea what we're talking about.
Since you already use some spells, it's really more of a formalization of what you already know, and so shouldn't take too long.

Krystal launches into an explanation of spellcasting fundamentals

All magical energy comes from the planes. This energy is all around us, all the time. Since the energy is always available, at essentially limitless levels, there are two basic limitations on your ability to work magic: How much energy you can use in an instant, and how much you can tolerate over a given day.

Certain gestures, words, items, and thought processes can manipulate this energy to perform desired effects. In combination, these four things can bring about amazing results.

A given spell is comprised of sections:

- A preamble that gets things rolling. This generally draws a small amount of power all by itself, but as it is also where many metamagic feats come in, it might draw quite a bit.

- An effects specification, this says what the spell will do. Some metamagic feats apply here

- An optional area and range specification, there are a few metamagic feats that work here.

- A targeting specification, there are even few feats here

- The main energy gathering phase.

All of that is in your spellbook. When you prepare the spell for the day, you run through that part. Only the very last bit remains:

- The spell execution phase. This can be as little as one word, or a reasonably complex "spell" in and of itself.

Krystal waits for that to sink in.

Alex Shipmaster
2007-01-10, 02:45 PM
aAlex nods "I understand so far"

Fenric
2007-01-10, 02:53 PM
Krystal smiles

Now, for the part that I've been developing. First, you need to learn this short discipline:

Feat: Psychic Reserve
This feat grants the taker a psionic power point reserve equal to the INT bonus for a psion of the same level and intelligence. The character does not gain any additional psionic abilities. So, for example, a 10th level wizard of INT 18 gets 20 points total. This feat does not stack with class abilities to retain power points. That is: a character with a psionic class cannot take this feat to gain extra points. A character with a psionic class must still take this feat in order to use their psionic power for magical enhancement.

Alex Shipmaster
2007-01-10, 02:55 PM
aAlex nods "Show me how it's done and I'll have a shot at it"

Fenric
2007-01-10, 02:57 PM
Krystal goes over the notes for meditating and preparing your mind for energy, and walks Alex through the process.

Alex Shipmaster
2007-01-10, 03:02 PM
aAlex sighs slowly "Ok, I think I know what to do and how...shall I try it on my own?"

Fenric
2007-01-10, 03:04 PM
Krystal nods

It might give you a bit of a headache the first time. It did for me.

Alex Shipmaster
2007-01-10, 03:08 PM
aAlex nods "I'll have a go" Alex performs the feat, inexpertly, and falls back wincing

Fenric
2007-01-10, 03:12 PM
Krystal nods

I can't watch your mind like Earin or Elya would, but your expression makes it look like you did basically the same thing I did.

Krystal gets out another sheaf of notes

The first useful thing is a way to make your spells overcome someone's resistance a little better.

Feat: Psychic Spell Penetration
Requires: Psychic Reserve, Spell Penetration

For a cost of 2 points per level of the spell to be enhanced, the caster gains +1 on checks to overcome spell resistance. By inceasing the cost, the bonus is increased symmetrically. (Spend 4 points/level, get +2. Spend 6, get +3. And so on.) Up to a maximum of +10 to the check (which would cost 20 points per level of the spell being enhanced).
Krystal goes on

The last is the best one: using the energy to make your spells more powerful

Feat: Psychic Arcana
Requires: Psychic Reserve

This feat allows a spell to be prepared in such a way that the caster's mental power augments the arcane energies that power it. Spells prepared this way use the same slot that a standard spell would use. Other metamagic feats can be stacked with this feat.

When cast, a spell with this feat adds damage and consumes power points according to the spell's native damage level. The caster can select the level of augmentation by spending more or fewer points. Only spells that specify a number of damage dice can be augmented. Divine spells, including healing spells, can be enhanced.

The augmentation is strictly symmetrical with the spell: one die of psionic damage is added for every die of magical damage. The augmentation can not add a die larger than the spell's native damage, but it can add a smaller one. If the caster does not have enough psionic energy to fulfill the minimum requirements, the entire spell fails.

Cost Effect
1 1d4
2 1d6
3 1d8
4 1d10

Alex Shipmaster
2007-01-10, 03:16 PM
"Yeah, I think I rushed that a little bit..." aAlex gets up "So this feat uses the energy gathered by the last feat?"

Fenric
2007-01-10, 03:18 PM
Krystal nods

That's right. Instead of making your spells burn up higher-level slots, you use that energy instead.

Krystal sighs

But the energy goes fast. I ended up buying a ring from Elya that increases it.

Alex Shipmaster
2007-01-10, 03:22 PM
aAlex nods "That's something I'll have to look into when I can perform these without getting a headache. Ok, please can you show me how to do it?"

Fenric
2007-01-10, 03:24 PM
Krystal nods and sets up a dummy in the magic circle. She activates the circle to allow magic in but not out.

First, she puts some spell resistance on the dummy with a scroll, then demonstrates how a normal Magic Missile from a really low-level wand will bounce right off.

Then she uses Psychic Spell Penetration on one of her own and pounds the dummy, explaining the steps as she goes.

Alex Shipmaster
2007-01-10, 03:30 PM
aAlex nods "Ok, I think I get it...can I borrow your wand to try it out for myself?"

InaVegt
2007-01-10, 03:32 PM
Feat: Psychic Reserve
This feat grants the taker a psionic power point reserve equal to half those of a psion of the same level and intelligence. The character does not gain any additional psionic abilities. So, for example, a 10th level wizard of INT 18 gets (88 + 20) / 2 = 54 points total. This feat does not stack with class abilities to retain power points. That is: a character with a psionic class cannot take this feat to gain extra points. A character with a psionic class must still take this feat in order to use their psionic power for magical enhancement.

((My, that's quite an overpowered feat, insanely broken in fact.))

Fenric
2007-01-10, 03:35 PM
(( How is it overpowered? The disclaimer at the beginning and the one at the end make it rather hard to misuse. In fact, for a lower level wizard they barely get enough points to make it worth the feat-slot.

wilder? Sucks to be you. 1 level of psion? out of luck.

For a higher level wizard; Multicasting, Twin Spell, Maximize Spell, and Enhance Spell can make a spell a lot worse. ))

Krystal nods and hands the wand to Alex

Of course.

InaVegt
2007-01-10, 03:47 PM
((There are some feats which can be mighty handy for a 20th level wizard if they had a reasonable amount of power points, including the latter two you posted, 135 pp is a small amount for such a wizard, then you take psychic psychic arcana, and suddenly the 20d6 spell becomes a 40d6+20 spell for a measly 40 pp and a 4th level spell slot, 60 pp makes it 20d6+20d8+40, and the feat which also cannot be taken by psionic characters and grants pp is wild talent, for 3 pp. See the difference?))

Alex Shipmaster
2007-01-10, 03:50 PM
aAlex sighs in preparation "Alrighty then..." he attempts to repeat what Krystal did before. Two things happen, firstly aAlex once again recoils, wincing. Secondly, a wild magic missile goes off, hitting the dummy very, very hard. He shakes his head to attempt to clear it "That didn't go as planned..."

Fenric
2007-01-10, 04:12 PM
Krystal frowns

I'm glad we're in here... wild magic?

(( All I have to say in response to Gezina is:

Schism: 7 points
Twin: 6 points twice (schism) for 12
Energy Bolt: 5 points base for 5d6, twice (schism) for 10
Augment Bolt: 1 point for 1d6 damage. But the Twin rule says I can't exceed my manifester level, which we stipulated as 20, so I can "only" add 9. Twice is 18.

So for a cost of 18 + 10 + 12 + 7 = 47 points, I do [4 * (14d6)] = 56d6.
(( With a bonus of +4 to the power's save DC, I might add. And pick the right energy... say, fire, and get a free +56 to that damage for 56d6+56. Oh, and that's four saves the target has to make, not just one. The likliehood of partial damage is much higher. ))

My spell did 40d6+20 for 40 points plus a 4th level spell slot used up, no bonus to save DC at all, and one save can cut the whole thing in half.

Looks the same to me. Frankly, the wizard is still using up a lot more resources to get the same result. That's not the sign of a broken feat. ))

Alex Shipmaster
2007-01-10, 04:19 PM
"Dunno what happened there." Alex winces again "Damn, you weren't kidding about the headaches"

Fenric
2007-01-10, 04:26 PM
Krystal shakes her head

Perhaps we'll try some normal non-fire spells for a while.

Krystal flips through her book, then copies out Ray of Enfeeblement

This is a necromancy spell that drains strength at a distance.

Alex Shipmaster
2007-01-10, 04:28 PM
aAlex nods "At the dummy again?"

Fenric
2007-01-10, 04:31 PM
Krystal nods

That's right.

Alex Shipmaster
2007-01-10, 04:35 PM
"Ok, lets try this again..." aAlex concentrates and goes through the process slightly slower this time. He still recoils a bit, but the spell went off to a reasonable standard "That was slightly better..."

Fenric
2007-01-10, 04:43 PM
Krystal tilts her head

Why does even a normal spell bother you? This is weird...

Krystal flips through the book again, and copies out Knock

This one is a transmutation spell... not that it makes much sense to be transmutation, but what can you do?

Krystal sets up a shadowy door, and locks it.

Alex Shipmaster
2007-01-10, 04:48 PM
Alex shrugs "It may be because I'm rushing it...it was "better" that time..." Alex composes himself once again and casts the spell, and it is cast without a hitch this time.

Fenric
2007-01-10, 04:54 PM
Krystal nods

That makes sense. You're probably at the limit of what's best to do for one day.

You seem to have the basic idea down, now you just need to practice non-fire spells. I'd still recommend avoiding anything with cold.

(( And a note about my feats

I don't expect Earin to like them as far as Arena fights go. My werefoxes are already at such a bad level adjustment (+3, with 5 monster HD for a total of 8) that I don't even consider that.

Multicasting, Twin Spell, Maximize Spell, and Enhance Spell, along with Improved Metamagic two or more times, and you can do similar things without this.

Not to mention that Gezina's example is a little contrived: there's no 4th level spell that goes up to 20d6. Delayed Blast Fireball (which caps at 20d6) is a 7th level spell. ))

Alex Shipmaster
2007-01-10, 05:06 PM
"Thank you Krystal, where can I find some books with spells in them?"

Fenric
2007-01-10, 05:08 PM
Krystal smiles

You can copy mine, and Dad's old books: we've got most any standard spell you'd like. You can go to Amiria's, but I think she charges for copying spells.

Alex Shipmaster
2007-01-10, 05:15 PM
"Thanks, can I do some copying now, if that's ok with you?"

Fenric
2007-01-10, 05:19 PM
Krystal nods

Sure. Our library doesn't have it's own place like this, though. If you're just going to be copying spells, it would probably be easiest to just drop off into the space between the threads...

Krystal gets up and leads Alex off to the library in the small house the Fenric's family lives in, in the new area.

Alex Shipmaster
2007-01-10, 05:21 PM
Alex follows Krystal

Fenric
2007-01-11, 10:19 AM
(( I have edited the powers like this:

Reserve: Int bonus only. That reduces Krystal to 50 points, and makes her need that ring even more.

Enhancement:

- You cannot use a higher die than the spell natively gives, but you can choose to use a lower one.

- I removed the "+" from the enhancements. It's just 1d4,1d6,1d8...

))

Fen3
2007-01-14, 03:16 PM
Ferdar leads the way to the summoning chamber

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-14, 03:21 PM
Drake follows him in and, his moment of excitability having passed, says quietly, Thank you.

Fen3
2007-01-14, 03:23 PM
Ferdar turns to Drake

Now: what was it you needed, sir?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-14, 03:33 PM
Drake hesitates. Well, I have a problem. You see, for the past few months I've been having difficulty controlling my sexual urges, which have been much stronger than they've ever been before. I've managed to keep myself under control until today, when I nearly forced myself on a woman. He shifts uncomfortably. Once I regained my self-control, I came here, hoping that there might be something you priests could do to help.

Fen3
2007-01-14, 03:43 PM
Ferdar winces

Well... since I don't think you want surgery, there are a couple of other choices.

A "Periapt of Wisdom" will add to your self control, although relying on items is a risky proposition.

There is a magic book called the "Tome of Understanding" that will also add to your ability to control yourself. It is a bit expensive, but the change is permanent.

Eithrer of those can be obtained at the Omni Shop

There is a feat called "Iron Will" that you could learn... The psions at Goldshadow could probably help best with that.

Getting married, even if it is an arranged marriage, will give you an outlet and help you control such things. While it is somewhat of a travesty, it is all too common in settings like this. Not everyone gets the option to be romantic.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-14, 03:46 PM
Drake thinks, then says in his quiet voice, It's been getting worse and worse as the months go by; I'm certain the methods you've suggested will help for a while, but I'm not sure how long they'll be useful. Is there anything else you can think of?

Fen3
2007-01-14, 03:49 PM
Ferdar grimmaces this time, and makes an opening-and-closing motion with his index and middle fingers

"SNIP!"

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-14, 03:55 PM
Drake shakes his head. No, I'm not that desperate. Not yet, anyway. I'll go see about those things you mentioned. Thank you for your help. He stands and leaves the summoning chamber.

Fen3
2007-01-14, 03:57 PM
Ferdar leaves and goes back to his duties in the temple

Fenric
2007-03-28, 09:53 AM
Kazuki leads the way into the summoning chamber, then turns and waits for Leonel.

Kyrian
2007-03-28, 09:53 AM
Leonel enters, looking around. I should probably get rid of the antimagic ring, shouldn't I?

Fenric
2007-03-28, 09:57 AM
Kazuki grins and nods

That would be a good idea. I don't want to find out what would happen if you still had it on when I activate this place.

Leave it on the floor over there, then step into the circle.

Kyrian
2007-03-28, 09:57 AM
Leonel nods and leaves the ring where instructed, then enters the circle.

Fenric
2007-03-28, 10:05 AM
(( For somewhat obvious reasons, the Summoning Chamber is [b]not[/u] hallowed. ))

Kazuki steps to the edge of the circle and activates the artifact.

The runes on the wall begin to glow brightly, shielding the room from the outside world.

Simultaneously, the multicolored circle on the floor also glows and the containing field surrounds Leonel: binding his spirit within the confines of the circle.

Kazuki's eyes begin to glow red

Last chance to back out: you sure you want this?

Kyrian
2007-03-28, 10:05 AM
More than anything.

Fenric
2007-03-28, 10:10 AM
Kazuki bows and fades into a black and white version of himself. He then begins casting a spell that draws heavily from his home plane, and black flames dance around his form. His right hand, in particular, begins to crackle with shadowy lightning and flames.

He finishes the preparations, and draws a single, large, black gem from his pocket. (( apparently he made a stop by the vault on the way here that I forgot to mention ))

He holds the gem in his left hand and looks up at Leonel, his red eyes blazing. He drifts through the barrier and reaches out to touch Leonel.

Kyrian
2007-03-28, 11:28 AM
Leonel stands, ready.

Fenric
2007-03-28, 11:35 AM
The shadow spell, operating on both positive and negative energy, tears Leonel to pieces. As his body turns to smoke, it attacks the smoke and the energy holding it together until Leonel's body is well and truly destroyed. His spirit stands, shielded from the dreadful tug of the Negative plane.

Kazuki returns to normal, and bows his head as he requests the Miracle to restore Leonel's spirit.

Kyrian
2007-03-28, 11:37 AM
After a few moments of silence, it can be felt that Leonel's spirit is indeed restored. It looks around trying to understand deeply on what's going on.

Fenric
2007-03-28, 12:34 PM
Kazuki sighs wearily

Have we ever mentioned how very much all of us hate that particular spell?

Reaching into his pocket a second time, he fishes out a large diamond

This isn't nearly as unpleasant.

Kazuki casts True Resurrection on Leonel.

Kyrian
2007-03-28, 01:46 PM
Leonel smiles as he's resurrected. We almost done then?

Fenric
2007-03-28, 01:53 PM
Kazuki nods and quietly casts Atonement. Fortunately "born that way" doesn't count as a voluntary action, so it doesn't cost XP. (( Kaz isn't atoning him of anything beyond being a vampire - everything else is still his problem. ))

All done

Kazuki shuts down the spells for the chamber, and the circle gows dark once more.

Dang... I need a drink. Miracle sucks.

Kazuki leads the way back to the sanctuary.

Kyrian
2007-03-28, 01:55 PM
Leonel holds out an arm, and watches as one of his short swords appears, first in a 3d mesh, then fills in. He smiles. Still got the gifts too, good. He heads back out.

McBish
2007-04-30, 08:41 PM
The Shea's come inside. Well here is to hoping we don't all blow up. They place the body in the center and summon up a ring of plasma that is semi solid and the most Shea Shea starts to write in it.

Shea has finished working and looks over the large circle with tiny writing on it. Did you get it right? I don't know. I wish Elya was here. Maybe one of their books is still around and we can double check. This isn't in any book.

Ok then here we go. The body sits in the middle and the three Shea's walk into it. The writing starts to glow and and pulse with power. Soon the room is filled with a blinding light. Then in a flash the circle there is an explosion of power and the circle and light disappear. The body just lies there.

Fenric
2007-05-01, 05:59 PM
An NPC finally comes to sweep the room, and finds Shea's body lying there.

Oh my!

She runs off to find a healer, and they return to carry Shea's body off to the hospital. Which they do.

Fenric
2007-05-02, 02:58 PM
Myobu appears, holding Shea's body. He gently lays the body in the circle, then starts to try to gather the soul-bits together.

McBish
2007-05-02, 03:02 PM
The soul bits start to gather into three seperate souls. One of which is almost compleate, the other two are fragmented.

Fenric
2007-05-02, 03:08 PM
Myobu frowns

This isn't right! Why are there three of you?

McBish
2007-05-02, 03:12 PM
Because we aren't merged yet. Yeah because he screwed it up. Sorry. Hold on one second almost done. Suddenly three childeren appear, illusions. They all seem similar like they are brothers. One of them is Shea.

Fenric
2007-05-02, 03:32 PM
Myobu tilts his head and blinks

So... what do you want done?

McBish
2007-05-02, 03:35 PM
Um... well I'd like to get back in my body. But I need to merge our souls back together. Hopefully without blowing us up again. So um... I try again? Shea doesn't seem to thrilled with this idea, he seems scared of blowing up again.

Fenric
2007-05-02, 03:39 PM
Myobu shakes his head

No. Bother that annoying dwarf, but it looks like we'll need him again.

McBish
2007-05-02, 03:42 PM
A dwarf? He can work with souls? I'm just working off of memory.

Fenric
2007-05-02, 03:49 PM
(( Malukhar, the soul-smith, and if you aren't doing this to me on purpose then... bah! ))

McBish
2007-05-02, 03:51 PM
((I know. Shea doesn't. Also not really doing this on purpose. Shea rolled low.))

Fenric
2007-05-02, 04:01 PM
(( Fenric's player gets bapped by a dwarf Get on with it, an' quit yer whinin! ))

Myobu nods

Malukhar, the soul-smith. It is his specialty, after all.

McBish
2007-05-02, 04:02 PM
Oh. Ok then.

Fenric
2007-05-02, 04:08 PM
A familiar grumpy presence enters the chamber

I be keepin an ear out fer yer talk these days, ye elfy fox things! Ne'r has one temple o' sommone else been bringin me so much business.

The dwarf himself appears, in his scortched hide apron, his heavy hammers in his belt.

Now then. What is it we be lookin at today? Speak up, lad!

McBish
2007-05-02, 04:13 PM
Um... Shea seems very intimidated by the dwarf. Well I need to merge with these two to go back in my body. Malukhar would probabably notice that Shea's soul formed out of these other two and is sort of dependent on them.

Fenric
2007-05-02, 04:19 PM
The dwarf chuckles

Weld-job, is it?

He takes out his hammers and gently nudges the three together.

This'll sting a might.

The god begins to pound with both hammers, molding and merging the three souls into one. "Sting a might" is an understatement, but the process is mercifully short.

McBish
2007-05-02, 04:22 PM
Ow! Hey that was quick. You didn't even have to write anything. Ok, I think I can get back into my body now. Hopefully.

Fenric
2007-05-02, 04:24 PM
The dwarf chuckles and grabs Shea's soul up.

Oh, ye'll go back in, alright!

The stocky god's muscles bulge as he stuffs Shea back into his body, then smooths out any imperfections with more blows from his hammers.

McBish
2007-05-02, 04:26 PM
Shea curls up in a ball, apparently the expirence wasn't all that pleasent.

Fenric
2007-05-02, 04:36 PM
Malukhar looks at Shea

Ye usually be bringin me sturdier folk...

Myobu sighs and kneels down, healing, and calming Shea: removing the pain and the fear.

Not this time, I'm afraid.

Aye. I'll be... leavin' then.

And he does.

McBish
2007-05-02, 04:38 PM
Shea is calmed so much that he falls asleep.

((Got to go now. Be back later tonight.))

Fenric
2007-05-02, 04:40 PM
Myobu picks Shea up once more and transports him back to the hospital.

(( I also will be back later. Not as much later as McBish, though. : smallbiggrin: ))