PDA

View Full Version : What Do These Do?

Fax Celestis
2007-01-10, 02:37 PM
Here's a list of items, spells, PrCs, creatures, and base classes for which I have a name but no concept. Tell me what they do, and I'll figure out how they do it.

(Last Updated 01-11-2007)

Spells Ray of Coruscating Energy
Prismatic Vigor
Wall of Displacement (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1809227&postcount=4)
Stacatto Blast (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1809317&postcount=7)
Burnout (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1809397&postcount=11)
Ray of Displacement (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1809227&postcount=4)
Magnetic Pulse
Burning Apparition
Divine Transformation
Arise (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1809591&postcount=18)
Mark of Fury (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1809913&postcount=23)
Keyslip
Scathe
Silver Vines

Items Prismatic Ring
Picturebox

PrCs Heartwood Warrior
Spiritmaster (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1818474&postcount=49)
Soulsmith (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1809150%postcount=40)
Fisher of Men

Creatures Lucavan Pinscher
Hubriarut
Cyclone Rat
Pendulous
Elemental Vermin

Materials Durestral
Aetherine
Xandelare

Alternatively, give me suggestions.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-10, 02:43 PM
Hmm. I would say that ray of displacement teleports someone to another location in a battle, "displacing" them from whatever position they'd previously managed to obtain. Wall of displacement would have a similar effect, but instead of affecting targets via a ray, it affects anyone who runs into it.

Picturebox is, quite obviously, the magical equivalent of a camera. It might have arcane eye and silent image as prerequisites, possibly a charged item.

Jibar
2007-01-10, 02:55 PM
Cyclone rat...some kind of rattish creature that flies amongst storms and attacks anything unlucky enough to be knocked off their feet by the winds.
I dunno...

Fax Celestis
2007-01-10, 02:58 PM
Ray of Displacement
Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level: Sorceror/Wizard 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25' + 5'/2 levels)
Effect: Ray
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

On successfully striking an opponent, a ray of displacement moves a target between 5' and 50' in a random direction. Roll a d10 to determine distance and roll on the miss chart for grenadelike weapons to determine direction. This spell only moves targets horizontally; it cannot move them vertically. Furthermore, if the target of the spell would end up inside of an object due to this spell, it is shunted towards the nearest open space, taking 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage for each 5'.

Wall of Displacement
Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level: Sorceror/Wizard 6
Components: V, S, M
Range: Medium (50' + 10'/level)
Effect: Wall (see text)
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: Reflex negates

A wall of displacement spell creates a barrier of displacing energy 5' wide and 10' tall. This wall is 10' long for each caster level (so that a spellcaster of CL 12 would have a wall 120' long).

Any creature or object moving through the wall must make a Reflex save or be teleported between 5' and 50' in a random direction. Roll a d10 to determine distance and roll on the miss chart for grenadelike weapons to determine direction. This spell only moves targets horizontally; it cannot move them vertically. Furthermore, if the target of the spell would end up inside of an object due to this spell, it is shunted towards the nearest open space, taking 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage for each 5'.

Missiles (including those created by spells) traveling through the wall are teleported and then continue in the direction they were going prior. Creatures and objects that are teleported within the wall due to this spell receive a second save at a -5 penalty. Should they fail again, they are teleported a second time.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-01-10, 02:59 PM
Staccato blast is a high-level spell that launches a massive rapidfire battery
of projectiles in a line--anyone prone when the spell is fired is not struck. The line of effect stops with the first person that it strikes, but if they fall, the remainder will continue to the maximum range.

Think like magic missiles on crack.
Also, think like a damage spell worth taking for a wizard.

Duke of URL
2007-01-10, 03:04 PM
* Heartwood Warrior

I'm thinking either a Fighter-like class for a Druid type, or a Druid-like class for a Fighter type...

Fax Celestis
2007-01-10, 03:18 PM
Stacatto Blast
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sorceror/Wizard 7
Range: Medium (50' + 10'/level)
Effect: Line; see text
Saving Throw: Reflex negates; see text

The caster creates several small missiles of force (the same kind that are created during a magic missile spell), one for each caster level. These missiles deal 1d6 points of damage, +1 point per caster level (to a maximum of +20).

These missiles fire out from the caster's outstreched finger in rapid succession. The line continues to the first obstruction in the path of the spell, which must make a reflex save or be struck by the missiles. A successful reflex save dodges the effect and continues the line outwards, forcing the next target in the line to make a reflex save. Creatures of medium size or smaller who are prone also avoid the effect.

Also, updated top list.

Weirdlet
2007-01-10, 03:21 PM
Stacatto Blast- I'm getting the impression of a multiple-missle 'sound burst'-like spell, like one for every two levels or something and you can choose where each one's centered- possibly they'd be five-foot radius instead of ten?

Burnout- Burnout implies both fire, and tiredness to me. Perhaps it does both fire and subdual damage?

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-10, 03:28 PM
Spiritmaster sounds like a shamanistic PrC... Soulsmith would probably be a dwarven cleric or Incarnum-based PrC...

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-10, 03:30 PM
You've got your ranges wrong, Fax. Close range is 25' + 5'/2 caster levels, while Medium is 100' + 10'/ caster level.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-10, 03:34 PM
Burnout
Abjuration/Evocation [Fire]
Level: Sorceror/Wizard 4
Range: Close (25' + 5'/2 levels)
Target: 1 opposing spellcaster
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: No

This spell interrupts an opponent who is in the process of casting a spell. The target must make a Concentration check at DC 20 + caster level + spell level or lose the spell. If they fail the check, they also take 1d4 points of fire damage per level of the spell lost, and 1d4 points of subdual damage per each of their caster levels.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-01-10, 03:38 PM
Arise is a true hero's standby--when cast on someone, for five minutes/level they resurrect to half HP three rounds after they're dropped into negative hit points--even if they've been killed.
Each casting requires experience points and an expensive material component.

fangthane
2007-01-10, 03:58 PM
Spells

Ray of Coruscading Energy - Should be 'Coruscating'
Prismatic Vigor - clerical spell which produces 7 revolving lights in a halo; also grants the cleric DR 5/alignment while operating. Each light can counter specific negative effects or issue a buff (all based on colour), at which time it disappears. One buff/counteragent per round, one minute per level max duration. Another thought... if DR 5 isn't sufficient to entice casters to take the spell, maybe give them fast healing 1 for each 4 caster levels too(max 5)
Wall of Displacement
Stacatto Blast
Burnout
Ray of Displacement
Magnetic Pulse - Can be focused either inward (all metal drawn to a central point, metal armor wearers taking a penalty on reflex and all who meet at the center taking falling damage commensurate with distance traveled) or outward (flung outward 10 feet per caster level and take 1d6 per 10 feet travelled if blocked, and are knocked prone). Reflex negates, and iron golems take 1d6 for each two caster levels(max 10d6), no save. And no SR; this is physics.
Burning Apparition - material components: 1 wheelbarrow, 1 holocaust cloak and a small bucket of pitch.
Divine Transformation - target creature receives +3/+3. Oh wait... umm... temporary self-morph to half-celestial template? :)
Arise
Mark of FuryItems

Prismatic Ring
Picturebox - 3/day: When activated, the picturebox affects any creature with int>3 (within 60 feet and with line of sight) as if fascinated by bardic music for up to 1 minute. Skill prereq for creation: Perform (any variety) 13 ranksPrCs

Heartwood Warrior
Spiritmaster
Soulsmith
Fisher of MenCreatures

Lucavan Pinscher
Hubriarut
Cyclone Rat

Alternatively, give me suggestions.
Dangit, since it read my modifications as your post it wouldn't let me post 'til I typed this. Of course, this is a bit more than the 10 characters it asked me to type... :smallbiggrin:

Rama_Lei
2007-01-10, 04:05 PM
Mark of fury sounds like the Mark of Justice, only it forces the victim into a wild rage. How evil....

Soulsmith sounds like some kind of magical craftsman that bonds spirits to armor and weapons, kind of like an intellignet armor or weapon?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-10, 04:09 PM
Soulsmith should probably involve incarnum in some way, but maybe not.

Matthew
2007-01-10, 04:09 PM
Fisher of Men? Some kind of Prestige Class for low level Commoners...?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-10, 04:13 PM
No, no, the Fisher of Men should be something related to evangelical-type clerics, since it comes from the Bible.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-10, 04:15 PM
Arise
Necromancy
Level: Paladin 3, Cleric 5
Components: V, S, M, XP
Range: Touch
Target: Touched creature with less than 0 HP
Duration: 1 min/level

The creature touched by the spellcaster immediately regains consciousness, stabilizes, and gains hit points equal to 1/2 their total maximum. These hit points disappear at the end of the duration, and the creature (regardless of their current status) returns to the same level of hit points they had prior to the casting of the spell.

Material component: Diamond dust worth at least 1000 gp
XP Cost: 750 xp

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-10, 04:39 PM
Divine Transformation - target creature receives +3/+3. Oh wait... umm... temporary self-morph to half-celestial template? :)

Too much like Greater Visage of the Deity.

R blademaster
2007-01-10, 04:46 PM
Mark of fury might get someone into a rage, this could be both offensive and defensive, as someone in a rage is not gonna mind how he's attacking, much like a barbarian rage but more nasty. Becoming an animal with killing on the brain.

Prismatic ring: A ring that changes collor and affects your combat abilities acordingly
red -> fire damage
Purple -> save or go insane

much like prismatic spray but in a ring.

fangthane
2007-01-10, 04:51 PM
Too much like Greater Visage of the Deity.
Heh, I didn't actually have anything constructive to say about that one, other than the M:tG reference... Been a long, long time since I played M:tG too; I'd have sworn I remembered it being +4/+4 but an online lookup proved me wrong.

mabriss lethe
2007-01-10, 05:01 PM
No, no, the Fisher of Men should be something related to evangelical-type clerics, since it comes from the Bible.

The fisher of men could have a more sinister, diabolic connotations. Sure it's a biblical reference, but that doesn't mean you can't take it partially or completely out of context. That seems to be the primary use of it nowadays...

(ok..I'm laying off the snarky comments for a while...promise...maybe)

Some sort or manipulation/illusion focus for a divine caster maybe? They snare the hearts of men, what they do with the hearts afterwards is between them and god. Seems to me that, yes, a Fisher of Men would serve as the evangelical arm of his god, ordained as a priest or not. Their methods, though, could be a tad suspect. They use magic or possibly some bardic music-like performace check to "Preach the word" inserting Suggestion spells and what-have-you. Maybe they get access to some showy "miracles" to hoodwink the commoners and then pass the collection plate at the end of the sermon.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-10, 05:06 PM
Mark of Fury
Transmutation [Evil]
Level: Cleric 3, Druid 4
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 minute
Target: Creature touched
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: Will partial; see text

By scribing a sigil on the target and imbuing it with magical energy, the spellcaster can force the target into performing actions in line with his alignment. When the mark is upon the target, any actions that do not coincide with the alignment of the caster automatically cause the target to fly into a wild fury. The target gains +4 to Strength and Constitution, gains a +2 bonus to Will saves, and takes a -2 penalty to AC. This fury lasts for a number of rounds equal to the spellcaster's Charisma modifier plus the target's improved Constitution modifier. At the end of this duration, the target becomes exhausted.

Each round the target is under the fury, it receives a Will save. A successful save will stave off the effects of the fury for one round, but causes the target to instead be sickened for one round.

Ultimatum479
2007-01-10, 05:50 PM
Burnout
Casting Time: 1 immediate action
This spell interrupts an opponent who is in the process of casting a spell.
Don't think even immediate actions can interrupt standard actions, so unless the spell's got a full-round casting time, you'd still have to ready Burnout. In which case, you might as well make it a standard action...

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-10, 05:52 PM
Then explain how an AoO or a readied action can disrupt spellcasting.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-10, 05:53 PM
Point taken.

Ultimatum479
2007-01-10, 06:04 PM
LIO, I just said that readied actions can work. Not the same as an immediate action.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-10, 06:07 PM
Oh, I missed that.

Reptilius
2007-01-10, 06:08 PM
When I saw Fisher of Men, I just thought,"evil." It sounds fairly sinister to me. Possibly similar to the mindbender in Complete Arcane, but Cleric-oriented? As for the Hubriarut, it could be some demon or mischevious spirit that spreads arrogance and pride. I'm not good with stats.

The Demented One
2007-01-10, 08:16 PM
Fisher of Men...maybe, instead of the evilness, someone who "draws out" a person's truth self, like a fisher reeling up a fish? Maybe giving people buffs that affect things they're already good at. If you're familiar with Unknown Armies, think something along the lines of a Personomancer, but with more of a focus on augmenting positive aspects of the self.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-01-10, 08:33 PM
Burning Apparition wreathes the caster or a target in illusory flames--a will save is required to avoid being shaken when an enemy sees this. Furthermore, if the target of the spell strikes someone in melee, the person struck must disbelieve the illusion with a will save or take 1d6 nonlethal damage from the perceived flames.
This damage counts towards concentration checks to avoid losing spells, etc.
Edit: Bad interwebs!

The target also sheds like in all directions.

The Demented One
2007-01-11, 07:38 AM
The Hubriarut sounds like the name of an Inevitable..maybe something that punishes excessive pride, or corrupt royalty?

Dareon
2007-01-11, 08:23 AM
Magnetic Pulse sounds like a spell I've seen somewhere... Ah. It's homebrew, I think. Let's see, it's a burst, can be directed inwards or outwards, allows a Reflex save to negate. Does damage if there are unattended iron/steel objects in the effect, disarms iron/steel weapons/objects, trips those in iron/steel armor, bull rushes creatures made mostly of metal. The disarm, trip, and rush aren't allowed saves, but are resisted normally.

Prismatic Vigor is trickier. Perhaps it provides 7 separate small bonuses to saves versus appropriate effects. You could split it into Lesser, normal, and Greater by making Lesser only affect the first of each save done, normal affect the next three/five saves done, and Greater lasting the entire duration.

Example: Lesser Prismatic Vigor has, let's say, a duration of: 24 hours (see text). It's cast on someone, granting them bonuses on saves versus the following things:
Fire (Red)
Acid (Orange)
Electricity (Yellow)
Poison (Green)
Cold (Blue) [Not the usual Blue effect, a save bonus versus petrification may be useful instead of the cold save]
Mind-affecting spells (Indigo)
Disease (Violet) [Not the usual prismatic Violet effect, but saves versus plane shifting are comparatively rare]

Each time the target needs to make a save against one of the above effects, the spell provides its bonus and then stops providing that particular bonus. So if the target is exposed to two saves versus fire, he gets the bonus only on the first one, but his bonuses versus the other forms are still in place. Once he's rolled saves against all seven effects, the spell is considered ended. Casting the spell twice on the same target resets the duration and refreshes any spent bonuses.

I second the Hubriarut sounding like an inevitable. Now I'm picturing this adventure where the PCs have to protect a singing sensation who's become so prideful the gods take notice.

Peregrine
2007-01-11, 10:17 AM
The name 'Hubriarut' sounds like a portmanteau of 'hubris' and the '-arut' suffix of the inevitables' names. Therefore, an inevitable punishing pride, or people getting above themselves? That strongly implies that the inevitables believe in a strict caste society...

'Fisher of Men' doesn't sound sinister to me, but hey, I'm biased, I'm Christian. :smallsmile:

Burning apparition is an illusion that moves about, spreading illusory flames and causing fire damage to creatures that fail to disbelieve it.

Staccato blast as written now sounds great. Perhaps have it knock creatures down (Str check opposed by caster level?) if they don't get out of the way, and also blast through barriers if it damages them enough? Effectively, it's a ray that continues past its first target if it expends enough damage/wins a Str check, and drops them.

The Heartwood Warrior is a ranger-oriented PrC with a real forest-protector bent, a close affinity for plants, maybe even slowly becoming Plant type?

Caelestion
2007-01-11, 10:39 AM
Arise is a spell that confers the mantle of holy warriorhood upon a willing subject, cleansing their soul and allowing them to take the 1st-level of paladin. They may not have broken the paladinic oath before (i.e. does not work on ex-paladins), but it does work on NG or LN characters who wish a jump-start into becoming a paladin.

Edit: I know that Arise has been done, but I liked the connotations of the name.

Edit 2: In a similar vein, Divine Transformation is an epic spell which allows the subject to ascend to DvR 0 (quasi-deity), provided that he has a divine sponsor and has completed a mighty task.

mabriss lethe
2007-01-11, 05:30 PM
The name 'Hubriarut' sounds like a portmanteau of 'hubris' and the '-arut' suffix of the inevitables' names. Therefore, an inevitable punishing pride, or people getting above themselves? That strongly implies that the inevitables believe in a strict caste society...

Hubris is an overbearing pride. We've covered that much, so bear with me. I've also heard in its definitions the phrase "godlike pride." If this is an inevitable, maybe it would be a hunter of those who attempt to rival or supplant the gods in some way or another. I don't think they would give one whit about mortal caste systems. They'd only intervene when a mortal tries to overstep the power and authority given them. There may well be a legitimate channel in the game world for mortals to assume the mantle of godhood, but I don't think a Hubriarut would hunt those who take that path. They'd only pursue those arrogant or foolish enough to strive to attain divinity in a forbidden manner, and who are powerful enough to pull it off .

Chances are, encountering one would be extremely rare even when compared to encounters with other inevitables. The time between situations that require their special talents would probably be measured best on a geologic scale

Fax Celestis
2007-01-11, 05:48 PM
Excellent suggestions, all. As you can see, I've created some stuff from your recommendations, but only for spells so far. Problem is, I need more than just a general idea for the more detailed listings. What does a PrC do, for instance, or what does a creature look like?

On a similar note, I've updated the top listing.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-11, 05:52 PM
The problem with ^^'s idea is that there's already an inevitablt charged with hunting down mortals wh try to become gods. I can't remember what it's called at the moment, though...

Found it in the Ecology of the Inevitable (Dragon 341). Varakhuts.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-11, 06:05 PM
Hmmm. For the ray of corsucating energy, make it a higher-level version of the energy ray psionic power that blinds those in the area, kinda like a prismatic ray.

Burning Apparition should probably be a dual-schooled Illusion/Evocation (or maybe Conjuration/Evocation) that creates an image that can deal fire damage with a touch attack.

Orzel
2007-01-11, 06:36 PM
Soulsmiths can carve and reform the souls of themselves and others via touch. They weaken the souls of foes and empower the souls of allies. Mechanically, they can change a target's Fort and Will saves.

Iituem
2007-01-11, 06:53 PM
The Soulsmith

Sometimes you just can't get the right materials. Lumber shortages, rust monsters in the mines, strikes at the foundries, bankruptcy of the local magic shop. Sometimes you just feel your potential is being constrained by the materials you do have access to. Sometimes, of course, you happen to be insane.

Sooner or later, you hear whispers of a free, bountiful resource that can be transformed brilliantly into any material you wish. A resource that has been used to create some of the most wonderous items the world has ever known. There is of course that tiny little matter of ethics, but for those who feel themselves beyond such petty concerns the methods of the soulsmith appeal very strongly indeed.

Hit Die: d4

The Soulsmith's class skills are Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Heal, Knowledge (all), Profession, Scry and Spellcraft.

Skill points at each level: 4 + Int modifier

Alignment: Any evil.

Requirements: Knowledge (the planes) 15 ranks, Spellcraft 15 ranks, Craft Wonderous Item or Craft Magic Arms and Armour, must have made peaceful contact with an evil outsider willing to teach you the art.

When a new soulsmith level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and known, if applicable) as if he had gained a level in whatever arcane or divine spellcasting class he had before taking the class. He does not gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If he had more than one arcane or divine caster class (or arcane and divine caster classes) he must decide to which class he adds a level of soulsmith to for the purpose of determining spells per day.

The Soulsmith
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Soul Smithy|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Smelt Soul|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Alloy of Souls|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Obtain Soul|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Imbue Soul|+1 level of existing spellcasting class [/table]

To use any of their abilities (other than Obtain Soul), a Soulsmith must have access to a forge with Hellfire burning in it, or a pool of Abyssal Bile. These can only be obtained directly from the Lower Planes.

Soul Smithy (Su): You learn the trick of turning souls (specifically those obtained by means of the Obtain Soul feat) into physical material for use in crafting. A soul in your possession can be forged into a magical item of gp value equal to or lesser than the xp the soul possesses (provided you have the appropriate Craft feat). This process takes eight hours of work, regardless of the value of the finished piece. You must still supply the xp component of the finished item. Needless to say, the soul is destroyed in the process.

Smelt Soul (Su): Continued experience with the soulsmithing techniques of the lower planes grants you an understanding of how to use hellfire (or abyssal bile) to burn away the impurities of a soul, leaving the distilled, valuable experiences and essence at your disposal. A soul in your possession can be used to supply the xp component of a magic item, provided the xp required is equal to or less than one tenth of the xp the soul possesses. You must still supply the material component, although this ability can be used in conjunction with Soul Smithy so that one soul supplies the material component and the other the xp component. The soul is destroyed during smelting.

Alloy of Souls (Su): As you advance in expertise in the craft of soulsmithy, you become able to alloy together multiple souls in the forging of items. The process is not perfect, however, as there is some loss of essence in the process. Composite souls possess as much xp as the total of the original souls' xp, multiplied by two thirds. At 3rd level, you may use multiple souls in the Soul Smithy ability, provided the total xp (after modification) matches the material requirement in gp. At 5th level, you may use multiple souls in the Smelt Soul ability, provided the total xp (after modification) divided by ten meets the xp requirement.

Obtain Soul (Su): As the demonic feat (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1794728#post1794728). A capable soulsmith needs to know how to obtain his own materials on occasion.

Imbue Soul (Su): A master soulsmith learns how to incorporate a spirit into an item he creates. When forging an item with the Soul Smithy ability he may opt to imbue it with intelligence as per an intelligent magic item by binding a fresh soul into the item as it is forged (this is a separate soul to the one used to create the item). The soul used must have xp equal to or less than the market price modifier in gp of the form of intelligence the soulsmith wishes to imbue (raising the xp requirement of the final item). The finished item has all the attributes of a normal intelligent item of its type (powers, abilities, communication, mental ability scores) except that its alignment is that of the soul used to create it and it has the memories of the soul used to create it.

Ultimatum479
2007-01-11, 07:15 PM
Considering the fact that you're crafting, I think 4 + Int modifier might be better for the Soulsmith.

Saeveo
2007-01-11, 09:00 PM
Arise
Necromancy
Level: Paladin 3, Cleric 5
Components: V, S, M, XP
Target: Touched creature with less than 0 HP
Duration: 1 min/level

The creature touched by the spellcaster immediately regains consciousness, stabilizes, and gains hit points equal to 1/2 their total maximum. These hit points disappear at the end of the duration, and the creature (regardless of their current status) returns to the same level of hit points they had prior to the casting of the spell.

Material component: Diamond dust worth at least 1000 gp
XP Cost: 750 xp

Seems like a version of Revenence that works on the dying rather than the dead.

mabriss lethe
2007-01-11, 09:24 PM
The problem with ^^'s idea is that there's already an inevitablt charged with hunting down mortals wh try to become gods. I can't remember what it's called at the moment, though...

Found it in the Ecology of the Inevitable (Dragon 341). Varakhuts.

Ooh. Good point. I think I may have seen that one at some point or an other now that I noodle it. Though I thought it had a more specific charge of hunting those who tried to escape mortality, or was that yet another one that I don't really remember?

Just a question of semantics, yeah, I know...but I have a feeling that semantics can play a really fine role in dealing with Inevitables. godhood vs. immortality, you be the judge.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-11, 09:28 PM
Maruts, in the MM, are charged with hunting down those who cheat death. Varakhuts are charged with hunting down those who are trying to become gods. If you're just cheating death and not aiming for godhood, the maruts come after you. If you're trying to become a god, varakhuts come after you.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-11, 09:31 PM
...and possibly Maruts too.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-01-11, 10:03 PM
Xendalare is a lightweight green metal that is found in relatively shallow mines and has blue impurities generally in a swirling pattern. It is known for the ability to channel ki and for it's incredible malleability. It is rare, but for that one exceptional monk that didn't take VoP and has enough money to hire a very skilled blacksmith for a pair of gauntlets or greaves, this is the best metal ever discovered.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-12, 10:25 AM
If you're going that way, don't limit it to gauntlets and greaves. Make it so that a weapon made of xandelare channels the monk's ki so that the weapon deals the monk's unarmed damage instead of its normal damage, and then you can add the ki focus ability as normal.

Deus Mortus
2007-01-12, 11:54 AM
The Spiritmaster

Those who are in tune with nature's grace sometime's see more then only the living, but can sense the spirit of the land as well. Those drawn in by those spirits gain their trust and imbue part of their power in their own being gaining control of many aspects of the world

Hit Die: d4

The Spiritmaster's class skills are Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Heal, Knowledge (nature), Knowledge (local)

Skill points at each level: 1 + Int modifier

Alignment: Any neutral

Requirements: Knowledge (nature) 10 ranks, Knowledge (local) 10 ranks, 10 levels in either ranger or druid

When a new Spiritmaster's level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and known, if applicable) as if he had gained a level in either ranger or druid depending what class he was before he chose this PrC. He does not gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. if he had both ranger and druid levels (5 minimum) he must decide to which class he adds a level of Spiritmaster to for the purpose of determining spells per day.

I don't know how to make a table, so if anyone is willing to make this in a table to I can copy/paste this in, I would be gratefull.

Special
lvl 1 +0 base attack bonus +1 fort save +1 ref save +1 will save Contact Spirit
lvl 2 +0 base attack bonus +1 fort save +1 ref save +1 will save Imbue Spirit
lvl 3 +0 base attack bonus +2 fort save +2 ref save +2 will save
lvl 4 +1 base attack bonus +2 fort save +2 ref save +2 will save Improved Contast Spirit
lvl 5 +1 base attack bonus +3 fort save +3 ref save +3 will save
lvl 6 +1 base attack bonus +3 fort save +3 ref save +3 will save Improved Imbue Spirit
lvl 7 +2 base attack bonus +4 fort save +4 ref save +4 will save
lvl 8 +2 base attack bonus +4 fort save +4 ref save +4 will save Greater Contact Spirit
lvl 9 +2 base attack bonus +5 fort save +5 ref save +5 will save Greater Imbue Sprit
lvl 10 +3 base attack bonus +5 fort save +5 ref save +5 will save Imprison Spirit

(each new level is also +1 spellcasting level on the chosen class (ie Druid or Ranger))

Contact Spirit (SU) The Spiritmaster can focus on the land and call forth the spirit(s) who wander there and the Spiritmaster can speak to them, at 4th level the spiritmaster gain's +4 diplomacy checks with the spirits which increases to +8 at lvl 8.

Imbue Spirit (SU) The Spiritmaster can ask a spirit to imbue part of it's being into a focus the Spiritmaster uses (any mundane object), to do this the Spiritmaster must convince the spirit to do so with a check of Diplomacy + Spiritmaster lvl + 1/2 Wisdom Modifier, the checks needed per spirit greatly differ, with weaker ones only being DC 15 to the most powerfull ones being DC 100. After this the Spiritmaster may call upon that spirit to aid him once per day, this changes to twice per day at lvl 6 and three times per day at lvl 9.

Imprison Spirit (SU) A spiritmaster can imprison a spirit into a weapon or armor, the effects on the weapon differ per spirit and only one such weapon or armor may exist per Spiritmaster, the process of doing requires 10 days and an imbued spirit.

XtheYeti
2007-01-12, 12:46 PM
^^ you used soulsmith and spirit smith in the above post. But other then that sweetness

Shazzbaa
2007-01-12, 12:58 PM
On successfully striking an opponent, a ray of displacement moves a target between 5' and 50' in a random direction. Roll a d10 to determine distance and roll on the miss chart for grenadelike weapons to determine direction. This spell only moves targets horizontally; it cannot move them vertically. Furthermore, if the target of the spell would end up inside of an object due to this spell, it is shunted towards the nearest open space, taking 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage for each 5'.

The first thing I thought of was a maze-like dungeon of a lot of very small rooms, and this spell. You're in another room now!

But that might be inconvenient to the point of annoyance. :smalltongue:

Fax Celestis
2007-01-12, 01:09 PM
The first thing I thought of was a maze-like dungeon of a lot of very small rooms, and this spell. You're in another room now!

But that might be inconvenient to the point of annoyance. :smalltongue:

Earthbound Spell metamagic would make that terribly amusing (+1 spell level, cast the spell into a square and it triggers when someone steps on it).

Or hell, a teleport dungeon, with a lot of permanencied versions of this spell, and many many sealed rooms, each with three or four teleporter pads in it.

Deus Mortus
2007-01-12, 03:00 PM
^^ you used soulsmith and spirit smith in the above post. But other then that sweetness

yeah copied that part of the other post to make sure I didn't forget anything xD

Altharis
2007-01-13, 06:15 AM
Scathe could be a witty quip that humiliates and burns the enemy, good bard spell. Like a "Scathing" Retort or criticism.

Peregrine
2007-01-16, 02:20 PM
Silver vines conjures, well, silvery vines, that grapple an opponent. It's a druid (and ranger?) spell aimed at combating werecreatures, against which their silvery nature has particularly strong effects (maybe just a bonus to grapple, maybe forcing them out of beast form if it succeeds on pinning them?)

And is that a Heartwood Warrior (http://www.corporation.walagata.com/fax/wiki/index.php/Heartwood_Warrior) akin to my suggestion that I see? :smallsmile:

ampcptlogic
2007-01-16, 02:32 PM
Elemental vermin: Insects and such with an elemental twist (or with an elemental or half-elemental type).

Because of their elemental origins, they are immune to critical hits. They also have damage immunities and vulnerabilities as the appropriate elemental

Ice Worm - 10% chance that a hit will slow the target
Fire Spider
Stone Beetle - Stability
Airy Mosquitos

Fax Celestis
2007-01-16, 02:32 PM
Silver vines conjures, well, silvery vines, that grapple an opponent. It's a druid (and ranger?) spell aimed at combating werecreatures, against which their silvery nature has particularly strong effects (maybe just a bonus to grapple, maybe forcing them out of beast form if it succeeds on pinning them?)

And is that a Heartwood Warrior (http://www.corporation.walagata.com/fax/wiki/index.php/Heartwood_Warrior) akin to my suggestion that I see? :smallsmile:

It is, but it needs some work.

Lord Sidereal
2007-01-16, 02:41 PM
Durestral - A alloy that is reisstant to sundering
Aetherine - A paper like material that enhances spells written upon it
Xandelare - A crystalline substance that a) awakens psionic powers in non-psionists or b) supresses psionics within the area or c) drains PP of someone who consumes itLucavan Pinscher - Essentially a fire-vampire, these creatures sap the warmth of victims, leaving them chilled to the point of death.

Indon
2007-01-16, 09:02 PM
Heartwood Warrior strikes me as a warrior/rangerish class, focused on use of the quarterstaff (or, perhaps, use of wooden weapons fashioned from one specific kind of tree). Two-weapon fighting applies to double weapons, doesn't it?

Keyslip, hmm... I'd say verbal-component only spell, level 1, that grants the caster a +20 to his next Escape Artist check.

Elemental Vermin... hmm. Vermin which are elementals, or an elemental from the Vermin (sub-sub-sub-)plane? Oh, I see you already have a Cyclone Rat, so I can only presume this concept is the other.

knightsaline
2007-01-16, 09:07 PM
Aetherine could be a material that is used for armor. the armor made of this is enhanced by positive energy or sunlight. on the other side, Dark aetherine could be used for the same purposes, but is enhanced by negative energy or darkness.

idea stemmed from metroid prime 2 echoes

Orzel
2007-01-16, 10:06 PM
Heartwood Warrior feels more of a zombish warrior. Heartwood is the old, dead, innards of a tree. Heartwood warriors are soilders made dead inside from constant battle. Near mindless and completely fearless, the breath of the Heartwood Warriors emit the odor of the coming battle. They feel no pain. They see no fright. Heartwood warriors can shut off and harden their inner organs with secret trance. Their trance lets them only hack away at their target with no fear of pain or death.

Fisher of Men sounds like a master of lures and traps. They can fool a target into performing an action then pounce when the action is performed. Fisher of Men can fake weakness and are masters at bluffing. False wobbles, fake castings, and pretend falls are all ploys to trick the target into taking the advantage. Once the bait is taken, the fisher reels the enemies in with diasabling moves and precise strikes. Trying to cut the hands of a casting Fisher of Man is met with a headbutt and a trip. The attack of opportunity becomes theirs.

Aetherine sounds like a substance for light armor grants a bonus to spell DC.

sigurd
2007-01-18, 11:19 AM
Not all places in the world are equally available to rat kind. Some, you may believe me, are so perfect in their order and maintenance that our blessed race is denied. That is the calling of the true Cyclone Rat a prestige class among rats that uses the cover of storms and even the fury of the winds themselves to gain access to new food reserves and living space.

In the wake of calamity and disorder there are always more rats than anyone ever thought. How can they all exist when surely even their numbers must have been diminished by all the carnage. The answer - cyclone rats!