PDA

View Full Version : Master of all trades, seeker of none - 3.5 Chameleon inspired PrC

ddude987
2013-11-15, 03:19 PM
Hey everyone this is the first prestige I am posting to the playground! I love homebrewing and am currently reworking the tier 4 and lower PHB classes, but I though I would break for some new stuff. I was looking for a PrC for a character in a campaign and the DM said why not make one. I got inspired by the chameleon class and this is what I came up with at the end of it all. My goal was something unique and customizable, and something that plenty of archetypes could go into and still come out different from each other. The power level I am aiming for is mid to high tier 3. Some relivent notes, the campaign I am in is e10 and we gain at least 1, if not more, feats every level. Also there are rules in place to mitigate the Christmas tree effect, such as enhancement bonuses based on character level instead of buying the +X to Y stat items. Without further... oh just look at the class already

Note: I have it written to just say chameleon as the class name as I have not decided what to name it. This class was not intended to replace chameleon in any way shape or form.

Class Features
{table=head]Level|BaB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Maneuvers Known|Maneuvers Readied|Stances Known
1|+0|+0|+0|+0|Aptitude Focus 1/day (+2)|4/2|4|1
2|+1|+0|+0|+0|Bonus Feat, Mimic Class Feature 1/day|5/2|4|2
3|+2|+1|+1|+1|Ability Boon, Aptitude Ability|5/3|5|2
4|+3|+1|+1|+1|Bonus Feat, Mimic Class Feature 2/day|6/3|5|2
5|+3|+1|+1|+1|Aptitude Focus 1/day (+4)|7/3|6|3[/table]

Ability Focuses
{table=head]Focuses|skills|saves|Special|Aptitude Ability
Stealth|Disable Device, Hide, Move Silently, Sleight of Hand, Search|Ref, Will|Uncanny Dodge, Shadow Hand|Trained Skill
Wild|Climb, Handle Animal, Jump, Knowledge (nature), Survival|Fort, Ref|Wild Empathy, Devoted Spirit|Resilience
Combat|Climb, Intimidate, Jump, Ride, Tumble|Fort, Will|Mettle, Iron Heart|Extra Maneuvers[/table]

Prerequisites:
Race: Humanoid type
Skills: 4 Knowledge (any), 4 Sense Motive
Special: Character level 6th

Hit Die: d8
Skill Points per Level: 4+Int
Class Skills: Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Disguise (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Swim (Str), Use Magic Device (Cha)

Maneuvers: You begin your career with knowledge of 4 martial maneuvers. The disciplines available to you are Diamond Mind, Stone Dragon, Tiger Claw, and White Raven. Once you know a maneuver, you must ready it before you can use it (see Maneuvers Readied, below). A maneuver usable by chameleons is considered an extraordinary ability unless otherwise noted in its description. Your maneuvers are not affected by spell resistance, and you do not provoke attacks of opportunity when you initiate one. You learn additional maneuvers at higher levels, as shown on Table 1–3. You must meet a maneuver’s prerequisite to learn it. At every chameleon level after, you can choose to learn a new maneuver in place of one you already know. In effect, you lose the old maneuver in exchange for the new one. You can choose a new maneuver of equal level of the old maneuver. You can swap only a single maneuver at any given level. When you initiate your Aptitude Focus ability you learn two new maneuvers of the newly granted school. Learning these maneuvers is under the same restrictions as learning other maneuvers and you lose these maneuvers when your Aptitude Focus ability ends.

Maneuvers Readied: You can ready 4 maneuvers at 1st level, 5 at 3rd level, and 6 at 5th level. You ready your maneuvers by meditating for 5 minutes. You may also re-ready maneuvers when entering Aptitude Focus. The maneuvers you choose remain readied until you decide to exercise again and change them. You need not sleep or rest for any long period of time to ready your maneuvers; any time you spend 5 minutes in practice, you can change your readied maneuvers. You begin an encounter with all your readied maneuvers unexpended, regardless of how many times you might have already used them since you chose them. When you initiate a maneuver, you expend it for the current encounter, so each of your readied maneuvers can be used once per encounter (until you recover them, as described below). You can recover all expended maneuvers with a full round action. You cannot initiate a maneuver or change your stance while you are recovering your expended maneuvers, but you can remain in a stance in which you began your turn.

Stances Known: As you progress through chameleon you learn new stances. You begin with 1 stance, and learn a new stance at levels 2 and 5. Unlike maneuvers, you cannot learn a new stance at higher levels in place of one you already know.

Aptitude Focus: Once per day, you can select one of three areas upon which to focus your ever-shifting talents. After meditating for 1 hour, you gain the chosen abilities for 24 hours or until you change your aptitude focus. An aptitude focus ability is usable once per day at 1st level and twice per day at 5th level. When entering an aptitude focus, you gain a +2 competence bonus on all skills listed for that focus and a +2 bonus on all saves listed for that focus. You gain a special ability and access to another martial discipline. When you enter an aptitude focus, you learn new martial maneuvers from the newly gained discipline as described in the Maneuvers section above.
At 3rd level your Aptitude ability improves. You gain a special Aptitude ability while in a focus.

Trained Skill: When you focus into stealth mode, select one class skill. You are treated as if having max ranks in that skill as long as you are in stealth focus.

Resilience: You gain immunity to fear and a +2 on saves against effects of the enchantment school of magic

Extra Maneuvers: You gain 1 extra maneuver readied. In addition, you may recover all your maneuvers as a standard action instead of the usual full round action.

At 5th level your Aptitude ability improves again. All +2 bonuses granted from the Aptitude Focus improve to a +4.

Bonus Feat: At 2nd and 4th level you gain a bonus feat. You must meet all prerequisites for this feat. At the start of each day, you can choose to change your bonus feat to any other feat for which you meet the prerequisites.

Mimic Class Feature: At 2nd level, you gain the ability to mimic a certain class feature possessed by other characters. Once per day, you can use any of the class features described below. At 4th level, you can use this ability twice per day (either to mimic the same class feature on two different occasions or two different class features at separate times).

Evasion (Ex): As an immediate action, you can avoid damage from certain attacks with a successful Reflex save. You can activate this ability after you have rolled a successful Reflex save, but before you have taken damage. This ability lasts for 1 minute. See the monk class feature, page 41 of the Player's Handbook.

Rage (Ex): You can fly into a screaming blood frenzy. See the barbarian class feature, page 25 of the Player's Handbook, except that the duration of the rage is 1 round + 1 round per point of your (newly improved) Constitution modifier.

Smite (Ex): You can smite a foe with a normal melee attack. You add your Charisma bonus (if any) to the attack roll and deal 1 extra point of damage per class level. See the paladin smite evil class feature, page 44 of the Player's Handbook.

Sneak Attack (Ex): You can deal an extra 1d6 points of damage per three class levels when flanking an opponent or any time the target would be denied its Dexterity bonus (except on ranged attacks, which must be point-blank to deliver the extra damage). See the rogue class feature, page 50 of the Player's Handbook. Treat your rogue level as equal to your class level for the purpose of defeating improved uncanny dodge.

Turn/Rebuke Undead (Su): You can turn or rebuke undead creatures (your choice when activating the ability) by channeling the power of your faith through a holy symbol. See Turn or Rebuke Undead, page 159 of the Player's Handbook. Treat your cleric level as equal to your class level.

Ability Boon: At 3rd level, when choosing an aptitude focus, you also gain a +2 competence bonus to an ability score of your choice. You do not gain bonus skill points if you choose Int.